The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 May 2011, 03:47 PM   #31
Tmaca

Which Ones Are "Real"?

With Invicta using some actual Swisss movements, but pushing many (probably most) watches as "hand assembled in Switzerland" when they really only have a few Swiss made parts in them and are assembled in another country altogether, does anyone know which of their watches really do have actual Swiss movements in them? Does anyone know anywhere to get a list of which actual movement is in which Invicta model?
Tmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 03:52 PM   #32
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post
Most are no good. They do put Swiss movements in few of their watches, and charge tripple at least for them. The Swiss versions are the only worth buying, better quality.

On one hand I agree, BUT everyone who manufactures a chair doesn't owe money to the guy who invented the chair design. Plus there no absoulty no comparison in quality. they are not fooling anyone who knows.

They are not claiming to be Rolex. Their symbol is not a crown, or a shield, etc. They do not sell at the price a Tag sells at, a Rolex sells at, etc.
agree totally...
wokafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 08:50 AM   #33
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
I have the Invicta 8926C because I don't have the money for a Submariner. I love my Invicta, it's fantastic! Well because I'm 15. I will purchase a real Submariner one day!
You being 15, its an especially nice watch to have. I don't have anything against Invicta or their designs and would never call an Invicta a knockoff. Their watches may have similar designs to more expensive one's but they aren't claiming to be a Rolex or Breitling. Besides, not everyone is in a position to buy expensive watches.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2011, 09:57 PM   #34
Sose
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
The project manager of my contract had what looked like a TT Sub. I asked him: "Hey, nice Rolex!!" And he replied with a big smile: "Nah! This is better! It's an Invicta!". To which I politely nodded, dug my left had in my pocket and changed the subject.

Two weeks later we are having a group lunch and I'm clasping my hands while my elbows are on the table and he's sitting straight in front of me. Suddenly he cranes his neck forward and tilts it to the side. It's evident he noticed I wasn't wearing an Invicta.

He never wore his "Sub" again.

Rolex GMT Master IIc, Explorer II
Sose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 10:39 AM   #35
Tmaca

Darn it, SOMEONE must know

Someplace, somewhere, there has just got to be a source for which Invicta models have real, complete, Swiss movements in them. You sure can't tell from anything Invicta says, since they obviously want people to think they're All Swiss movements.

I really want to find this info so I can compare their prices and see just how much extra they're charging for the "real" ones. No, I don't have a clue what I'll ever do if I finally figure that out, certainly not buy an Invicta, but it's driving me nuts not knowing.

Somebody out there must know where this info can be found.
Old 13 May 2011, 10:59 AM   #36
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf566 View Post
I own some high end watches and some not so high end watches. I am not a watch snob and I have no problem with people wearing an invicta. Whatever floats your boat, why do we care? Rolex doesn't. There are probibly 100 watch makers that make a Submariner "homage" I dont wear a Rolex to shove it in peoples faces so who cares if it looks like an invicta I know what it is and thats what matters to me. I also have no problem wearing a cheap watch. I get a lot of enjoyment out of some watches I own that are cheap. I do own one Invicta its a Cartier Pasha "homage" I have had it for close to ten years and it works just fine. This forum has made me more knowlegable on watches esp. Rolex watches and I was able to detect a customer of mine's Fake Rolex the other day. I have a lot more respect for someone wearing an Invicta than someone who makes pretend they have something else.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 04:24 AM   #37
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
absolutely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkay View Post
What difference does it make if some Invicta models are based on Rolex designs? OK, heavily based. OK, clones even. There are watch brands all over the world that do this; some even more closely than Invicta (at least Invicta conspicuously engraves its name on the side of the pro diver case and has a unique second hand design). Rolex designs are classic. There are even Seiko "copies" of Rolex designs out there that would fool many. Invictas are an excellent value for what they cost. If the movement craps out, you buy another Invicta for the cost of a single link on an oyster bracelet. I'd have no problem owning an Invicta as a beater watch even though I own several Rolexes. Meanwhile, you can feel secure with the superior quality of your Rolex that you pay dearly for, and let those with Invictas enjoy their watches!
On the quality question, for lower cost, auto's like Invicta makes (not the quartz) that have ETA movements, the typical quality issues tend to be inconsistency. There will be more lemons in each lot. If you get a good one, you may have a pretty good watch that holds the time well. However, each pile of watches will have many more lemons, and if you get one, you've got a piece of junk.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 04:34 AM   #38
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
pretty clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaca View Post
Someplace, somewhere, there has just got to be a source for which Invicta models have real, complete, Swiss movements in them. You sure can't tell from anything Invicta says, since they obviously want people to think they're All Swiss movements.

I really want to find this info so I can compare their prices and see just how much extra they're charging for the "real" ones. No, I don't have a clue what I'll ever do if I finally figure that out, certainly not buy an Invicta, but it's driving me nuts not knowing.

Somebody out there must know where this info can be found.
Invicta is pretty clear about which movement it is selling with each watch. Anytime I've seen their stuff, it's obvious what is being sold. ETA movements aren't wildly expensive, and they are just part of what makes a watch "swiss made". You can build a fairly junky watch around a Valjoux 7750. Cases, bracelets, finishing, along with additional movement finishing all add a big part of the final costs.

Also, the Swiss make quartz movements, so "swiss made" doesn't make a watch an automatic.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 10:27 AM   #39
Tmaca

All Invicta ever says about the movements in their watches, at least in their official catalog, is "genuine Swiss chronograph" "genuine Swiss 13 jewel" "genuine Swiss quartz", etc. So how is that pretty clear, knowing that if a movement has any Swiss made parts at all in it Invicta calls it Swiss, even when it was assembled in some other country altogether? And as curious as I am about this, I'm not going to go around to retailers with my universal back remover in my pocket and remove the back on every model I can find just to see what's inside.
Old 21 May 2011, 11:42 AM   #40
specbowers
"TRF" Member

I wore one for one (pro diver) for many years in a dirty factory setting.......traveled with it and still kept ticking....... and no band stretch!!!!!!!!!

is it a rolex? heck no! Do not get me wrong.I am Rolex all the way!!!!!!!

I am just sayin' ........ where can you get a self wind mechanical for less than $100.00 Did I mention less than $100.00!

Mine was $65.00 with the japan movement.....same as the citizen .......
specbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 12:26 PM   #41
Michael M.
Banned

IMHO it's better than buying a fake/replica rolex submariner, because it's not claiming to be a rolex.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2011, 04:40 AM   #42
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I think most of the criticisms against Invicta in this thread are unfair. While Invicta does borrow heavily from other watch designs, so do an awful lot of other companies--Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Orient, Steinhart, Defaubre, to name but a few.

I've bought three Invictas and have enjoyed them and passed two of them on to others who still enjoy them.

I have an 8926OB sitting here on my desk that I bought just a couple of weeks before I bought my first Rolex, the Explorer Z-series, in 2008.

Sadly, something in the movement has broken and the watch doesn't work, but when I wind it, the rotor spins at about 9000 RPM, which is fun to watch.

For those who can afford only the best, buy what you will, but the vitriol directed at those who buy the lesser copies is misdirected.

As long as there is no counterfeiting involved, I think they are legitimate options.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2011, 04:50 AM   #43
Nicko
Banned

You know Rolex copied their Submariner design from the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. So, if you wanna go start pointing fingers...
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2011, 11:13 AM   #44
Aivas47a

Watch: Love them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
You know Rolex copied their Submariner design from the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. So, if you wanna go start pointing fingers...
It's one thing to be influenced -- even heavily influenced -- by a design, another thing to make a copy that looks identical but for the logo. Of course there should be a mechanical watch for every budget but I'd respect Invicta more if they stuck with their own designs.
Aivas47a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 01:42 AM   #45
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
I have the Invicta 8926C because I don't have the money for a Submariner. I love my Invicta, it's fantastic! Well because I'm 15. I will purchase a real Submariner one day!
Invicta seem like a decent honest company, I don't think they are breaking any copyright laws so I ain't got a problem with them.

And I've got massive respect for Adam, he's a great active member of the forum. Doing all his research before possible purchases when he's older, total WIS, and he's only 15.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 01:49 AM   #46
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I have the two-tone Blue Submariner-like Invicta. It works fine, you can definately feel the UNQUALITY oozing from it.

I bought it to determine if I'd like wearing a TT watch before actually buying a real TT Rolex - I didn't like the TT feel, so I paid $90 for a grand experiment...thanks Invicta.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 04:13 AM   #47
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Invicta seem like a decent honest company, I don't think they are breaking any copyright laws so I ain't got a problem with them.

And I've got massive respect for Adam, he's a great active member of the forum. Doing all his research before possible purchases when he's older, total WIS, and he's only 15.
Thanks mate! It means a lot!
Old 18 August 2011, 04:26 AM   #48
hawg
"TRF" Member

I really get a kick out of all the hype about someone wearing a watch that doesn't conform to someone elses ideals. Buy what you like, wear what you like, just wear it in good health.
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 06:35 AM   #49
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Nothing wrong with owning Invicta.

I liked this one and I don't care what people think. I have Rolex, APs, IWCs, Panerais, Breitling, etc. but I also enjoying a nice looking watch even if it's not an expensive one.

I picked up this one at Costco for $165.00. It's usually priced at $690.00 so I think I ended up paying what the watch really should've been worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (109.1 KB, 125 views)

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 07:02 AM   #50
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
I think a few of the comment here have gone a bit too far... I would like to say that I have accomplished some pretty big goals in my life and by no means do I feel that wearing an invicta is beneath me. I have purchased an invicta to wear as a "beater" to be honest the more I wear it the more I like it.
In no way is it as nice as my DSSD or Breitling "44" I dont pretend it to be either. I dont think Invicta does either. I also think its pretty redicoulius to try and compare the 2 brands.
TO EACH his own. You either like them or you dont..for those who do good for you. I look forward to see LaRocca taking pride in his watch. Good for you mate!! You should. I have never seen him try to compare his watch to a sub. He strives to own one. I would imagine that his drive will get him there..

To be honest the negative comments only feed into the stereotype that Rolex watch weares are pretentious, snobby a holes that think there s&%t dont stink...
Pretty sad if you ask me....

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 08:10 AM   #51
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Well said and I love that GMT yellow hand Tom.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 08:46 AM   #52
scarab007
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
my old manager at my last company swears by Invicta. Has like 30 of them Every week this guy would come in with a new one.

Would always give me crap about wearing my Omega PO or Daytona all the time and said he had a different watch each day.

Some of them looked pretty cool, just not my style being that big.
scarab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 08:52 AM   #53
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
Well said and I love that GMT yellow hand Tom.
Thanks

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 01:22 AM   #54
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydendillon View Post

To be honest the negative comments only feed into the stereotype that Rolex watch weares are pretentious, snobby a holes that think there s&%t dont stink...
Pretty sad if you ask me....
I am the furthest thing from any of the above but still feel that Invictas are cheap and marketed in a very dishonest manner. Perhaps their owners like them for what they are, but you should hear the shop at home TV channel hawk these watches and their "swiss" quality.

I do agree with "to each his own" though, and if you or anyone else likes them, good on you, enjoy them. Don't let me dissuade you from liking them, and I'm not knocking you personally for liking them. But those watches really leave a bad taste in my mouth (2 people in my office have them, and the lack of quality really shines through). That doesn't make me a pretentious snobby a-hole. If anything is "sad," its listening to those phony Aussie or British accented gentlemen hawking them on TV to unsuspecting buyers. I simply like quality things, but that doesn't always mean paying an arm and a leg for them (something I usually try and avoid! ;-)
Old 21 August 2011, 05:21 AM   #55
Melanotaenia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers and Subs
My boss, who makes easily 4-5 times more than everyone else, has a collection of Invicta's, he loves them; nothing wrong with buying what makes you happy.
Melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 05:50 AM   #56
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Firstly, notwithstanding that ths is a Rolex forum, I am happy to see people into watches -especially mechanical watches. Good on you Adam, glas to see you here you WIS you!

I ride a Harley and hate when Harley riders look down their noses at other riders on other machines - I'm just glad to see folks riding and enjoying their bikes. I am obviously into Rolex watches; I mean I am here after all and own a handful of them. With that said, I would hope that an AP or PP owner would not look down upon me for owning merely a Rolex. God is no respecter of persons and neither should we. I've got a Seiko Black Monster and love wearing it, as well as several G-Shocks; they are all great.

If someone spends $150 and gets a sense of pleasure from that mechanical device strapped (or bracletted [verb?]) to their wrist - more power to them! It's all good.
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 06:03 AM   #57
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
my lexus sales rep has an invicta that looks like a yacht master .... it is a swiss movement, and he loeves it, and it looks good in my opinion .... i wouldnt own one because i prefer Rolex over any other brand on the market
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote