The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2011, 05:03 AM   #31
Speed
"TRF" Member

Wow...I have a series Y Sub. The fact that a fictional character in a movie wore an earlier version of my watch had zero impact on my purchase decision.

I got my GMTIIc because I liked the function and form. I also like the Pepsi GMTII - and don't care that Tom Selleck's fictional character
wore one on a TV Show in the 80's!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 05:09 AM   #32
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
Both are great watches... but Sub's connection to James Bond and many other celebrities cant be underestimated...
Exactly.

They are different watches for different functions. The GMT is as much a tool watch as the Sub---just a different job. Look at how many of the early astronauts wore GMTs----not to mention Ms. Galor of James Bond fame.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 05:12 AM   #33
tictocChuck

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I'm a fan of both and own both. The Submariner is more iconic because of the James Bond (Original 60's Bond) connection. Plus more people can imagine wearing them on a dive or to the beach. I have to admit on the GMTIIc that I don't adjust the 24 hour hand to any time zone, but it is nice to have it there for looks. As with many successful products, you are buying a feeling or mystique that adds to the excitment. So you can choose diving, flying, driving, boating, or climbing as your venue or fantasy. IMHO Rolex makes the best sports watches. Cheers.
tictocChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 05:25 AM   #34
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalmedia33 View Post
You must be diving atleast 300m everyday.
Actually, if you must know, 3900m.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 06:02 AM   #35
no TAG love

Watch: 116610LN
I fly quite a bit so the GMT IIC is the watch that I need the most. I don't dive.The GMT IIC bezel is too 'busy'. The Sub C bezel is just perfect, hence it the one I bought.
no TAG love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 06:47 AM   #36
rolexsweep
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD40
pcl vs brushed? 24 hour hand vs no gmt? 300m vs 100m? ceramic bezel numbers??
Old 14 May 2011, 06:53 AM   #37
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
20 years ago, I didn't know many of the differences except the SS vs. the TT. I was given a Sea Dweller and returned it for the Sub (really wanted the cyclops). In hindsight, I think I would have chosen a GMT, likely a Pepsi, but still wanted the ultra iconic Rolex, the Sub.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 14 May 2011, 06:58 AM   #38
phampau
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Both are great watches, I have both. As everyone else said, PCL vs brushed. GMT us non, glidelock vs easyclasp (this one is easy, glidelock is better!). Go with the one that looks better to you, and keep in mind the PCL on the GMT-IIc, will get scratched up easliy if this is going to be your daily watch. Paul
Old 14 May 2011, 07:02 AM   #39
Omega 1120

Watch: Omega Seamaster
The Submariner name is better known. They make more Subs than GMT's, therefore people see it more. We humans covet what is in front of us. Not as many GMT's in "front" of us than Subs.

Omega 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 07:50 AM   #40
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
It seems that the main criteria for choosing a watch are:
- funtionality
- aesthetics
- price
- quality
- status

Price and quality are essentially irrelevant between these two watches as they are so similar.

If the decision was purely based on functionality and aesthetics, then I'd guess the two watches would be equally popular - both great watches.

As far as status the Sub is, and probably always has been, a much more iconic watch than the GMT. In my opinion, further reinforced by many of these posts, this is a very big reason why people choose it over any other Rolex.

For some the iconic status is important and will either tip the scale, or be a major reason, to buy the Sub. For others, including myself, it weighs very little in the decision.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 09:35 AM   #41
guyrolex

Watch: DSSD, SubC LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexertion View Post
X2
x 3. The GMT II C is a great watch- I had one but sold it quickly after I bought a Sub C recently. I found that I just wasn't excited to wear the GMT II C- its allure really wore off after a few months. I bought the Sub C to replace the GMT II C primarily because 1) I really didn't like the busy bezel and 2). the Sub's new glidelock clasp is far superior to the GMT's easylink. I found that because of the overly busy and crowded bezel, the GMT II C actually looked and wore smaller than the Sub C. I actually like the PCL's on the GMT II C, but, combined with the busy bezel, it is just too much.
guyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 11:55 AM   #42
slinger
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTii C
I just received my GMTiiC today and I love it. I went back and forth between the Sub and the GMT and am happy with my choice. Just felt that there were too many Subs out there.
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 11:58 AM   #43
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
I just received my GMTiiC today and I love it. I went back and forth between the Sub and the GMT and am happy with my choice. Just felt that there were too many Subs out there.
+1!

Having said that, I do (still) love my Series Y Sub. Which one I wear depends on occasion, wardrobe and/or how I am feeling at the time.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 12:30 PM   #44
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
I bought my first Rolex a couple months ago (datejust) and I am allready itching for my next Rolex. I wanted a more sporty watch like the Explorer 2 White face or if I go black face it will be a GMT-Master 2 (116710) My question is that I see alot more people buying the Submariner (116610) instead of the GMT. The 2 watches seem like they are the same to me (but i am no pro by any means)
but the GMT has a extra feature (the 2nd time zone or 24 hour time). Can someone please explain to me why you did or would or did pick the sub over the
GMT? Is there something I am missing or do not see that would make the Sub a better watch then the GMT or why it is more popular? I apologize if this is a stupid question but I do not understand why the SUB gets alot more praise and credit then the GMT.

Thank you..
Who says so..I think both have its separate followers..But I am pretty sure they would go with either. Although I prefer gmtiic for its extra feature I would have gone with subc too

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 01:06 PM   #45
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
both watches are awesome
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 01:11 PM   #46
watchf
"TRF" Member

I just found the SS ceramic sub better looking than the SS GMT and also due to the su'b's status as an icon for the brand. The TT GMT looks nice though.
watchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 01:16 PM   #47
Rollie2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C + Exp 42
Like many others... I had a hard time deciding between the too...

The Sub won out because it just felt right.

The GMT is just a bit TOO busy for my taste
Rollie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 01:51 PM   #48
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Great question by the way, I always wondered why as well. Learn stuff everyday on here
Old 14 May 2011, 01:53 PM   #49
StarSovereign
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116710LN
The Sub is THE iconic Rolex Sport watch. The GMT has it's following, but the laymen usually only know of the Sub...
StarSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:43 PM   #50
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
The sub Being iconic wasn't my reason.

instagram: modus_horologicus
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 04:19 PM   #51
al_bongo
"TRF" Member

Sometimes keeping it simple is best. The GMT complication never seemed to me to be that useful. Phones and G Shocks seem to do time zones much more effortlessly. Plus it is fairly straight forward arithmetic to add or subtract a few hours to get the time zone you want.
al_bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 04:42 PM   #52
porscheman

Watch: GMT IIc...so far!
I have both and they are both great! My wife has taken the sub and I the GMT. I travel quite a bit so the GMT's 2nd time comes very handy.
porscheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 05:05 PM   #53
jetlaghawaii

Watch: GMT2-C 116710
Since I travel for a living, it's the GMT for me. No matter where I am in the world I always know what time it is back home.
jetlaghawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 05:30 PM   #54
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I have been wearing the "old" GMT II for 25 years an loved it. On the GMT IIc, I find the numerals too large and flashy and that's a no-go for me.

If they would have kept the fonds and the size from the old inserts (like they did on the SubC), I would have chosen the new GMT. So, I now have a SubC just because of this detail.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 05:33 PM   #55
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
You just need to choose which one you want......first.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 05:37 PM   #56
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
I bought my first Rolex a couple months ago (datejust) and I am allready itching for my next Rolex. I wanted a more sporty watch like the Explorer 2 White face or if I go black face it will be a GMT-Master 2 (116710) My question is that I see alot more people buying the Submariner (116610) instead of the GMT. The 2 watches seem like they are the same to me (but i am no pro by any means)
but the GMT has a extra feature (the 2nd time zone or 24 hour time). Can someone please explain to me why you did or would or did pick the sub over the
GMT? Is there something I am missing or do not see that would make the Sub a better watch then the GMT or why it is more popular? I apologize if this is a stupid question but I do not understand why the SUB gets alot more praise and credit then the GMT.

Thank you..
You got me, it's something that I would never do.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 08:40 PM   #57
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
from Megalobyte: "I also believe though could be wrong, the Sub has a better more robust crown/stem mechanism..."

Yep, you're wrong on that point. The 116710--just like the 116610 Submariner--has the Triplock crown, a mechanism which has been tested by Rolex, and found capable, of enduring water pressure to a depth beyond 12,800 feet (the same crown is mounted on the Deepsea). Why does the Sub have a greater official depth rating? The answer is, the caseback--it's thicker than that of the GMT-IIC. Of course, since Rolex tests all their models to approx. 25% past the official rating, we can assume the GMT could probably go considerably farther than its 100m rating, and the same for the Sub. Bottom line is, the crowns on the new models are both the same--unlike the previous generation (116610 Sub vs 16710 GMT)

Both the Sub and GMT are great Oyster Perpetual watches, and share a familiar Rolex sports model heritage, each with their own stories going back over the various references. If the Sub has more "cred", it's because it was first on the block and the watch the later GMT references were based on for design, rather than the other way around--that fact doesn't take away from the GMT's cool factor, it's history, or it's undeniable utility as a tool watch. At the end o' the day, there's no bad choice to be made, so get the one that smiles at you most!

Best,

Adam
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 08:56 PM   #58
docmarioce
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Sub is thicker and more robust always has been very desirable to the point that has been the watch that solds out in the stores faster when important days such Christmast, father's day etc. GMT very similar but thinner and less water resistant designed for pilots or people who travel. More people go to the beach or pool than take a plane to another country etc. For years the Sub has been more sought after than the GMT. To me is a matter of taste. I have had them all and now I keep 2 subs and none GMT. Get the one you like. Both are 2 great watches.

Best,
docmarioce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 09:54 PM   #59
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

I am remembering and still surprised at a thread on another forum dated Nov. 2, 2010 where James Dowling responded and one of his sentences was Quote: The GMT has always outsold the Sub by a considerable margin, even though most watchnuts consider the sub the more iconic watch.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 10:45 PM   #60
Leandro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710 LN
I go diving once in a while, but I bought the GMT IIc. I did it because I already have a good old seamaster professional that fits the purpose, and I travel overseas very often.

The Rolex GMT was the finest watch I could find with such function. I agree on the mentioned shortcomings regarding the crowded bezel and PCL's, but in my view, the functionality outstands over them.
Leandro is offline   Reply With Quote