The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 December 2014, 01:09 PM   #121
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Took delivery of one this week from a shop in DC who has been my Omega pusher for years, at a great discount. Have not had a chance between work, and now a bad cold to really hang out with it.

First impressions. Really beautiful watch. Does sit a little high, but does not really move around on the wrist like others have said. I had a link and a half link taken out and it makes for a snug fit. I think the watch wears slimmer then a PO.

I'm not crazy about the potential wear factor on the polish links in the long term, but they look good on this watch and it is a touch that is faithful to the original design, and as someone on another forum said there is always painters tape and cape cod cloths for a periodic cleanup.

Wears smaller then 41mm would suggest. I was surprised to see that. Where the watch really scores for me is the dial and the bezel, the sand blasting effect is incredible and produces a flat matte surface that reminds me of the old maxi dial subs of the 60's and 70's. The lume is bright and strong. The bezel now feels as smooth as the Rolex and the turns precisely click into place. The texture and feel of the liquidmetal is incredible and it has a sheen to it that is different from the Rolex ceramic. It looks vintage but feels modern.

I discovered the jump hand by accident while playing with it at the jeweler.... Great feature if you are travelling. Overall I think Omega really knocked it out of the park with this one. Beautiful watch and incredible movement technology at an attractive price point, if you know how to shop.

I have noted some of the comments in the GMT Masters blog on this forum about how Omega dive watches have finally caught up to Rolex in their build quality and may have even surpassed them in movement features and technology. I was a little skeptical of that claim in years past but after owning this watch I would have to agree. It look and feels like something from the past, but the insides and the build are all about the future.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2014, 01:40 AM   #122
nsxnext
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Never been a fan of PCL but a nice watch nonetheless.
nsxnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2014, 07:52 PM   #123
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I just tried on the SS and Sedna TT at my local AD. Wonderful watches, didn't wear too big nor too tall. The PCL was a non-issue for me, and the faux patina wasn't too distracting. I still would prefer a solid back but I was surprised how much I liked them.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2014, 04:05 AM   #124
ttrq01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR; SS SkyD
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Took delivery of one this week from a shop in DC who has been my Omega pusher for years, at a great discount. Have not had a chance between work, and now a bad cold to really hang out with it.

First impressions. Really beautiful watch. Does sit a little high, but does not really move around on the wrist like others have said. I had a link and a half link taken out and it makes for a snug fit. I think the watch wears slimmer then a PO.

I'm not crazy about the potential wear factor on the polish links in the long term, but they look good on this watch and it is a touch that is faithful to the original design, and as someone on another forum said there is always painters tape and cape cod cloths for a periodic cleanup.

Wears smaller then 41mm would suggest. I was surprised to see that. Where the watch really scores for me is the dial and the bezel, the sand blasting effect is incredible and produces a flat matte surface that reminds me of the old maxi dial subs of the 60's and 70's. The lume is bright and strong. The bezel now feels as smooth as the Rolex and the turns precisely click into place. The texture and feel of the liquidmetal is incredible and it has a sheen to it that is different from the Rolex ceramic. It looks vintage but feels modern.

I discovered the jump hand by accident while playing with it at the jeweler.... Great feature if you are travelling. Overall I think Omega really knocked it out of the park with this one. Beautiful watch and incredible movement technology at an attractive price point, if you know how to shop.

I have noted some of the comments in the GMT Masters blog on this forum about how Omega dive watches have finally caught up to Rolex in their build quality and may have even surpassed them in movement features and technology. I was a little skeptical of that claim in years past but after owning this watch I would have to agree. It look and feels like something from the past, but the insides and the build are all about the future.

Great review---thanks!

Im just an enthusiast and not a guru like many here but I think that the other big redeeming feature of your new watch that's very cool is Omega is using their most modern "Master" coaxial movement with the anti-magnetic features pioneered last year in the 15,000 gauss at Basel. When you consider the clasp design and build quality, the Liquid Metal basel, the movement, etc., this watch is really leading edge.
ttrq01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2015, 05:43 AM   #125
Faraday Cage
"TRF" Member

Purchased a 300 master co-axial a few days ago and absolutely love. I've bought 5 new rolex this year and this omega feels more satisfying on the wrist than any of them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy wearing a rolex as well but there is no doubt that omega has caught up. From the 15000 gauss anti-mag movement, liquid metal bezel to the ceramic dial, it's a winner. If I had to choose, Id take it over my sub c.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420141342.975599.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420141361.690175.jpg
Faraday Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2015, 05:43 AM   #126
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
I'm currently considering picking up a new Seamaster 300, in either steel or Ti. My only concern is how its bracelet could be adjusted to slim wrists. The great thing about the ceramic Subs is that you can remove more links than with preceding Oyster bracelets, plus you've got a half-link, and it makes fitting much easier. I'm not sure how it would fair with the SM300. Going by the pictures, it seems to have 5 fixed links (as opposed to the 3 on the Sub-C) on each side of the case, with a total of 16 links. I suppose those links are shorter than the Oyster links, but not sure how shorter. If you're a fortunate owner of one of the SM300's, can you please measure the total length of the first 5 links from the lugs? It would be a great help for me to understand what can I expect from the bracelet configuration. Thanks in advance
Old 3 January 2015, 05:41 AM   #127
jmsrolls
Banned

As one considering a SMP 300 Master, I have followed this thread with considerable interest and wish to jump in with some comments.

First let me say that the Submariner is not now, nor has it ever been, on my radar. That is not to say that I am not a Rolex person. I have owned serveral including a 16600 Sea-Dweller which IMO is only Rolex diver to own. I have also owned a GMTIIc, a GMT Master, a Datejust, and a President. Currently in my collection is a polar 42mm EXPII which is about as good as it gets.

However over the years, I have probably owned over a hundred Omega watches from vintage to modern so I feel somewhat qualified to address some of the issues raised.

As to the qualities of SS, from experience I can say for certain that the 316 is more scratch resistant than the 904. I had a Rolex and an Omega on the winder next to each other. Unfortunately they were too close and actually rubbed against each other for several days. The case of the Rolex was noticeably worn from the friction but the Omega case was unblemished. But as a general rule, the quality of the SS is a non-issue, at least for me.

Movement-wise, my Rolex and Omega watches are all good time keepers. Rolex fans no longer have the argument regarding in-house versus "out-house" which has been irrelevant since Omega has owned ETA and Lemania for years. Rolex has gradually improved their movements over the years and I have no complaints. But Omega's new movements make (at least theoretically) a giant leap in watchmaking. Early co-axial movements were based upon standard ETA movements and had their issues. Fortunately for me, none of the seven cal. 2500 co-axial watches I owned ever failed and all were excellent timekeepers. I've owned three 8500 movements, two AT's and a PO, and found them to feature rock solid accuracy and I particularly liked the hour-advance and 60hr reserve. Omega touts the extended service interval of the co-axial but I have never owned one long enough to comment. I will say the co-axial movements will be more expensive to repair and service because of the watchmaker's cost of the special equipment and extra training required. Many watchmakers are unwilling to spend the extra time and money so your local watchmaker may leave you "out in the cold."

A major factor in my watch buying is comfort - wear ability on my wrist. I have a 7 1/2 inch round wrist and thick watches tend sit precariously and slip from side to side. This was not a problem with my cal. 2500 POs but the 8500 was like a giant wart on my wrist and no where near as stable. Most comments by those owning both the 300 and 2500 POs find the thickness of the two watches to be comparable. The comments about the extended lug length of the 300 does cause me some concern as my round wrist is not that wide. A trip to the Boutique may be in order to resolve that issue.

Now to address design and styling. Like with my "First Omega in Space," Omega wanted to update the Speedy Pro with current advances (rhodium plated movement/hands and sapphire crystal) while playing homage to the vintage look of the Speedmaster Schirra worn on this Mercury flight. Admittedly, I had issues with the FOIS design, particularly the sapphire crystal, but I eventually replaced my vintage 105.012 "Neil watch" with the FOIS. I'm an old guy and appreciate old (and old-looking) things and I guess that is why I am considering the 300. I think it will pair nicely with the FOIS. Yes, the bezel is narrow (but state of the art) and the dial is not modernized with applied markers but the intent was to capture the look of the original as Omega did with the FOIS. PCL's are not my cup of tea but my watchmaker can remedy that.

For me, as it seems for others, the bottom line is how it wears. Stay tuned.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2015, 06:37 AM   #128
tegee26
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610 SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
As one considering a SMP 300 Master, I have followed this thread with considerable interest and wish to jump in with some comments.

First let me say that the Submariner is not now, nor has it ever been, on my radar. That is not to say that I am not a Rolex person. I have owned serveral including a 16600 Sea-Dweller which IMO is only Rolex diver to own. I have also owned a GMTIIc, a GMT Master, a Datejust, and a President. Currently in my collection is a polar 42mm EXPII which is about as good as it gets.

However over the years, I have probably owned over a hundred Omega watches from vintage to modern so I feel somewhat qualified to address some of the issues raised.

As to the qualities of SS, from experience I can say for certain that the 316 is more scratch resistant than the 904. I had a Rolex and an Omega on the winder next to each other. Unfortunately they were too close and actually rubbed against each other for several days. The case of the Rolex was noticeably worn from the friction but the Omega case was unblemished. But as a general rule, the quality of the SS is a non-issue, at least for me.

Movement-wise, my Rolex and Omega watches are all good time keepers. Rolex fans no longer have the argument regarding in-house versus "out-house" which has been irrelevant since Omega has owned ETA and Lemania for years. Rolex has gradually improved their movements over the years and I have no complaints. But Omega's new movements make (at least theoretically) a giant leap in watchmaking. Early co-axial movements were based upon standard ETA movements and had their issues. Fortunately for me, none of the seven cal. 2500 co-axial watches I owned ever failed and all were excellent timekeepers. I've owned three 8500 movements, two AT's and a PO, and found them to feature rock solid accuracy and I particularly liked the hour-advance and 60hr reserve. Omega touts the extended service interval of the co-axial but I have never owned one long enough to comment. I will say the co-axial movements will be more expensive to repair and service because of the watchmaker's cost of the special equipment and extra training required. Many watchmakers are unwilling to spend the extra time and money so your local watchmaker may leave you "out in the cold."

A major factor in my watch buying is comfort - wear ability on my wrist. I have a 7 1/2 inch round wrist and thick watches tend sit precariously and slip from side to side. This was not a problem with my cal. 2500 POs but the 8500 was like a giant wart on my wrist and no where near as stable. Most comments by those owning both the 300 and 2500 POs find the thickness of the two watches to be comparable. The comments about the extended lug length of the 300 does cause me some concern as my round wrist is not that wide. A trip to the Boutique may be in order to resolve that issue.

Now to address design and styling. Like with my "First Omega in Space," Omega wanted to update the Speedy Pro with current advances (rhodium plated movement/hands and sapphire crystal) while playing homage to the vintage look of the Speedmaster Schirra worn on this Mercury flight. Admittedly, I had issues with the FOIS design, particularly the sapphire crystal, but I eventually replaced my vintage 105.012 "Neil watch" with the FOIS. I'm an old guy and appreciate old (and old-looking) things and I guess that is why I am considering the 300. I think it will pair nicely with the FOIS. Yes, the bezel is narrow (but state of the art) and the dial is not modernized with applied markers but the intent was to capture the look of the original as Omega did with the FOIS. PCL's are not my cup of tea but my watchmaker can remedy that.

As always Fr. John.......VERY well stated.

I too have a rounded wrist and find the newer 8500 PO sitting rather lopped sided on my wrist. I have tried to overcome this drawback, but find myself not wearing it much anymore.

I shall visit an Omega Boutique next Monday or Tuesday to check out the newer SMP 300 or possibly the AT.

I think it is time to flip my month old PO and get into something smaller and more comfortable.

Thx again for your thorough and knowledgable insight......all the best.
tegee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2015, 08:20 AM   #129
ralpie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I like the Titatnium/Sedna Two Tone...

Attachment 549201
LOVE this!
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 11:12 AM   #130
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
i really like the SS/Ti/TT Ti models. however, it really is difficult to pay the ~$5.5k the SS is going for on the secondary market. at $3.5k, id be all over it, so i may be waiting a few years before i get one.

as to the TT Ti model, they are great looking but a used 16613 is still better looking and cheaper, imo.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 11:29 AM   #131
tegee26
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610 SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
i really like the SS/Ti/TT Ti models. however, it really is difficult to pay the ~$5.5k the SS is going for on the secondary market. at $3.5k, id be all over it, so i may be waiting a few years before i get one.

as to the TT Ti model, they are great looking but a used 16613 is still better looking and cheaper, imo.

Very well said. I visited my local Boutique and tried on several 300's and it does look SHARP. However, I can't get past the price tag. It sits very well on my small wrist, has great wrist presence and definitely captures the vintage look. And it has the nice adjustable (hidden) claps, which is most definitely a welcoming site to see coming from a PO with no micro adjustability.

I too may have to wait a year or two and snap one up LNIB for under $4k.

FWIW
tegee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2015, 09:44 PM   #132
Eccentric
"TRF" Member

I have been looking at luxury watches off and on for almost 10 years.

My first watch was a black plastic swatch watch that I got from my father when I was around 7 years old.

I bought my second watch at the age of 20, which was a Certina DS First.
When I bought that watch I had the Rolex Submariner as my main inspiration but couldn’t afford one at the time. I have been very satisfied with the Certina, but has always ogled at high end watches.

During the process of seeking and purchasing the right watch for me I was torn between to brands, Rolex VS Omega, and then the Submariner VS the Planet Ocean and later on the reissued Seamaster 300 master co-axial. It must have been one of my toughest debates and decision I have made so far in my life, when it comes to purchasing things. People who really knows me know that when I am doing research on something it affects my surroundings and permeate my life to an almost unhealthy degree.

So after years of research, evaluations, self-made swot-analysis, discussions with various AD’s etc, I made up my mind. I turned 30 on the 9th of January and close the deal, and I think it suits my wrist very well.

[IMG][/IMG]
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 04:46 AM   #133
callidus
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II,SMP,Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I like the Titatnium/Sedna Two Tone...

Attachment 549201
That's cool
callidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 04:58 AM   #134
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Have to admit that while the new SM300 is a nice watch with all of the latest technologies Omega has to offer thrown into it, if a no-date diver is what I am looking for, the SubC ND gets my vote.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 11:56 PM   #135
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
Over the last few years I have had the pleasure of owning a few Subs, a DSSD and the PO. I spent the holidays evaluating my collection and decided that it was time to focus on 3-4 pieces that had some type of meaning for me.

My family tends to lean towards Omegas, my dad having solid gold piece from the 60's that I received when I got through college. The first watch I ever purchased was a Seamaster Bond, and it was also the first watch that I flipped. As I sat and thought about my collection, I decided to hit the reset button.

Out went the Sub C ND, out went the GMT Blue/Black, out went the DJ. In came the Seamaster Bond (a very nice pre-owner piece), a Speedmaster Moon and then I targeted 2 more. One being the PO, and the other an Aquaterra Blue
(you can see where I am going with this).

Then last weekend I popped into the Omega Boutique and spent some time handling the new SM300. I was blown away.

The PCLs are not as "loud" as some of the pictures suggest, the new bracelet is fantastic. The vintage patina does not come across as trying to hard in my eyes, and gives the watch a character that other watches just do not have. I can see where the top heavy argument comes in, and you really have to have the right wrist to make up for the longer lugs.

Now, this is definitely not a watch that I am going do yard work with, that task falls to the SMP Bond or my Timex. But this thing is a knockout and while the price is a little steep new, I believe that on the pre-owned market this watch provides a lot of solid value. As for the comparisons with the Sub ND, to each their own. The Sub ND is fantastic watch, an icon. This Omega pulls from the past of iconic pieces for present day. I do not think they are apples to apples. Both wonderful, both unique.

Short story, this one unseated the next two on my list and I will be pursuing one very, very soon.
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2015, 06:39 AM   #136
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Did you guys see that one of these finally made it to the TRF classifieds
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2015, 07:59 AM   #137
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post

awesome writeup guys..the 300 has my interest..after my DSOM
Old 5 February 2015, 09:40 AM   #138
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I really like this new Omega.
Old 6 February 2015, 01:56 AM   #139
rokosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona
Yup, checked out the SS version today- that's one great looking watch.
Until I saw the painted numerals.
Oh Oh- so next year, Omega might decide to replace this with applied numerals...?
PO 2500 story pt.2

Nope, I'll wait until Omega decide the design has matured.
Then I'll pick it up!
rokosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 03:16 AM   #140
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokosh View Post
Yup, checked out the SS version today- that's one great looking watch.
Until I saw the painted numerals.
Oh Oh- so next year, Omega might decide to replace this with applied numerals...?
PO 2500 story pt.2

Nope, I'll wait until Omega decide the design has matured.
Then I'll pick it up!
That's exactly the attitude I have with most of the new models Omega produces. They may speak to me, but not 100% so it's not like I have to buy one of them now. Might as well see how they do on the secondary market in a year or two!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 11:50 AM   #141
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
for me, the two best looking in the range are the full RG/black insert & dial and the TT Ti/RG/blue insert & dial:

What do those list for?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2015, 10:18 PM   #142
speedy_master1
"TRF" Member

Watch: can't decide.
Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 3.06.10 AM.jpg
speedy_master1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2015, 05:06 AM   #143
Friedl41
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes