The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 July 2014, 05:41 PM   #1
safeword

can't remove band...

I have a new explorer 2...anyone have a video link that will show me a method for getting the band off? I've watch a couple, but all I've gotten from the methods is a dent in my finger from where I've been trying to push the paper clip to release the band!
safeword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Is it the holes or no holes case?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 10:23 PM   #3
usmc93
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/Black Daytona
All you need is a spring bar removal tool to do it right/easily, holes or no holes, this will get it done...I use a Bergeon 6767 Springbar Tool, but there are cheaper and more expensive ones. But I am guessing you are wanting it done now and don't have a tool? In that case if you have holes case, find something thicker/stiffer than your paper clip but still fits ok and is not pointed like a needle. Personally I would recommend the tool or head to your AD, if he is worth anything he will quickly do it free.

--Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 116710LN BLNR, Bremont MBII, Rolex 216570, Omega Speedmaster 3572.50, Zenith Class Elite 680, 1993 Tag Heuer 2000 Chrono--
usmc93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 07:36 AM   #4
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

the correct tool:
Attached Images
File Type: png 3200.png (40.1 KB, 242 views)
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 08:26 AM   #5
safeword

i've been trying with a paper clip and have watched a couple videos...i still can't remove it. every time i push the spring bar and try to push the bracelet out, nothing happens. i'm going to go to my watch guy and see if he can teach me. also try to get a job at his shop...i'm willing to work for free, i'd like to learn how to build/repair watches.
Old 26 July 2014, 09:33 AM   #6
safeword

this is my new best friend...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.jpg (86.5 KB, 233 views)
Old 26 July 2014, 10:04 AM   #7
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeword View Post
i've been trying with a paper clip and have watched a couple videos...i still can't remove it. every time i push the spring bar and try to push the bracelet out, nothing happens. i'm going to go to my watch guy and see if he can teach me. also try to get a job at his shop...i'm willing to work for free, i'd like to learn how to build/repair watches.
Not sure what you're doing, but perhaps the paper clip is your problem.??

You need to get both sides of the springbar depressed at the same time, and whilst pressing the end link/bracelet from the caseback side to the watch face side...
As long as both sides of the springbar is depressed, it will let go of the case head. Springbar pliers work well, and compress both sides of the sprigbar at the same time.. A paper clip, or even a toothpick will only do one side at a time, but will work in a pinch, although you need to keep pressure on the bracelet and springbar at the same time so as to avoid the springbar compressing again on one side while trying to compress the other side... Make sense?

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

Welcome to the Forum Rob.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
I have a new explorer 2...anyone have a video link that will show me a method for getting the band off? I've watch a couple, but all I've gotten from the methods is a dent in my finger from where I've been trying to push the paper clip to release the band!
You should spend some time in our Reference Library..
Old 28 July 2014, 02:09 PM   #10
safeword

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Not sure what you're doing, but perhaps the paper clip is your problem.??

You need to get both sides of the springbar depressed at the same time, and whilst pressing the end link/bracelet from the caseback side to the watch face side...
As long as both sides of the springbar is depressed, it will let go of the case head. Springbar pliers work well, and compress both sides of the sprigbar at the same time.. A paper clip, or even a toothpick will only do one side at a time, but will work in a pinch, although you need to keep pressure on the bracelet and springbar at the same time so as to avoid the springbar compressing again on one side while trying to compress the other side... Make sense?
I've watched 3 different guys do it with a paper clip on youtube...works for them one side at a time. One guy did it with some sort of tool, but again, one side at a time.
Old 29 July 2014, 04:10 AM   #11
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
I've watched 3 different guys do it with a paper clip on youtube...works for them one side at a time. One guy did it with some sort of tool, but again, one side at a time.
I always do it one side at a time.

The trick is to push the end piece down just enough for the spring bar to catch on the inside of the lug. Then depress the other side and the whole thing will just pop out...
Old 29 July 2014, 11:50 AM   #12
sleddog

Quote:
Well sure, I do it one side at a time as well when I don't have my springbar pliers handy, or I'm traveling. In that case, a simple toothpick works well for me...
I wasn't saying it can't be done one side at a time, I was only stating that both sides at once is much easier, and perhaps a better way for 'you' to approach the bracelet change.....

Best of luck to you!

PS: Take Larry's advice, and browse the 'Reference Section' for how too's.

Old 29 July 2014, 01:21 PM   #13
safeword

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
I always do it one side at a time.

The trick is to push the end piece down just enough for the spring bar to catch on the inside of the lug. Then depress the other side and the whole thing will just pop out...
Yeah...I guess I'll keep trying!
Old 29 July 2014, 03:09 PM   #14
safeword

got it off! I was pushing down on the wrong part of the bracelet! Now I need to figure out how to put the damn thing back on without scratching the lugs...thanks for the help and patience.
Old 29 July 2014, 03:29 PM   #15
sleddog

Quote:
got it off! I was pushing down on the wrong part of the bracelet! Now I need to figure out how to put the damn thing back on without scratching the lugs...thanks for the help and patience.
A wooden toothpick has zero chance of scratching your end links and or lugs...
Also a good idea if you tape off the back of your lugs while trying to install the bracelet!
Give that a try!

Here is a link to a tutorial if you didn't find it in our reference section.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost....4&postcount=13

Old 29 July 2014, 03:41 PM   #16
safeword

I know what a watch without a bracelet looks like, but I forgot whilst taking the bracelet off and didn't think to apply pressure to the center of the first link, I thought that was part of the actual watch.

I got the bracelet back on pretty easily. once I realized that since I pushed down to take it off, I probably should push up to put it on!

I'm new at this, but watches excite me like not much else. I'm going to put some serious effort into learning more...
Old 1 August 2014, 02:21 AM   #17
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Quote:
I know what a watch without a bracelet looks like, but I forgot whilst taking the bracelet off and didn't think to apply pressure to the center of the first link, I thought that was part of the actual watch.

I got the bracelet back on pretty easily. once I realized that since I pushed down to take it off, I probably should push up to put it on!

I'm new at this, but watches excite me like not much else. I'm going to put some serious effort into learning more...
Good show!

Putting it back on is the same process in reverse; engage one end of the springbar inside the lug (don't worry about getting it into the hole yet), then depress the other side with a tool (I use a small screwdriver with the ends rounded and polished to avoid scratches) and slip it into place.

Now move the entire end piece/band/springbar assembly until the pins hit the holes and engage.

You're done!