The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 February 2024, 03:14 PM   #1
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Patek 5905P-001

Does anyone own this piece, and what are your thoughts? Thinking of trading my DD 228235 and SkyD 336934 for one
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:39 PM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtli202 View Post
Does anyone own this piece, and what are your thoughts? Thinking of trading my DD 228235 and SkyD 336934 for one

Can’t speak to the 5905. But I can speak to upgrading from a few Rolex to pp. absolutely different experience. Do it. You won’t regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 07:18 PM   #3
iten
"TRF" Member

I have the black version 5905P-010. The blue is beautiful and is better at value retention, I think the black is more universal. You can pull it off even when you are in casual clothes. It's a heavy watch but it's still comfortable. I think people can tell it's an expensive watch, but only those who knows the brand would know what it is. It's not very accurate, but it may be due to magnetisation. It was my first ever mechanical watch, but I haven't worn it much since I got my second watch outside on a few super formal occasions.
iten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 09:25 PM   #4
Chelsea1986
"TRF" Member

Absolute beautiful watch
Chelsea1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 05:16 AM   #5
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iten View Post
I have the black version 5905P-010. The blue is beautiful and is better at value retention, I think the black is more universal. You can pull it off even when you are in casual clothes. It's a heavy watch but it's still comfortable. I think people can tell it's an expensive watch, but only those who knows the brand would know what it is. It's not very accurate, but it may be due to magnetisation. It was my first ever mechanical watch, but I haven't worn it much since I got my second watch outside on a few super formal occasions.
how do you find it wears? does the 42mm wear larger then the rolex skyd?
Old 17 February 2024, 08:45 AM   #6
UK AP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I have the rose version with the chocolate dial, I absolutely love this watch, I purchased the folding clap for mine, I think it balances the watch better, it is a big watch, but comfortable on, I really like the platinum version also, it’s one of the best cases patek make, you won’t be disappointed.
Tony
UK AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 11:13 AM   #7
Chelsea1986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK AP View Post
I have the rose version with the chocolate dial, I absolutely love this watch, I purchased the folding clap for mine, I think it balances the watch better, it is a big watch, but comfortable on, I really like the platinum version also, it’s one of the best cases patek make, you won’t be disappointed.
Tony
Do you not feel it sits up a little bit to high with the folding clasp
Chelsea1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 12:45 PM   #8
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the input. Will try one on this weekend and see how it fits! Only thing I am concerned about is the size, the SkyD pretty much pushes the limits of my 15.5cm wrist so couldn't do any bigger
Old 17 February 2024, 08:31 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate the input. Will try one on this weekend and see how it fits! Only thing I am concerned about is the size, the SkyD pretty much pushes the limits of my 15.5cm wrist so couldn't do any bigger
Tim Mosso thinks you can wear a 5905 down 15cm. LOL

My wrists are 16.5 to 17cm, flat and wide, and the similarly sized 5968 was more than pushing it but I haven't tried on a 5905.

Let us know how it works for you and post some pics please.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 11:35 PM   #10
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Two sporty watches on bracelets for a dress watch? Plus you are selling the Rolex's are wholesale and buying the 5905 at retail on the trade. For these two reasons I'd definitely pass, you will regret.

Buy the 5905 if you need a dress watch though, it's amazing
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 01:22 AM   #11
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Tim Mosso thinks you can wear a 5905 down 15cm. LOL

My wrists are 16.5 to 17cm, flat and wide, and the similarly sized 5968 was more than pushing it but I haven't tried on a 5905.

Let us know how it works for you and post some pics please.
lol yeah pretty sure he also said you can wear a SkyD on a 14cm wrist
Old 18 February 2024, 01:24 AM   #12
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Two sporty watches on bracelets for a dress watch? Plus you are selling the Rolex's are wholesale and buying the 5905 at retail on the trade. For these two reasons I'd definitely pass, you will regret.

Buy the 5905 if you need a dress watch though, it's amazing
Olive trades for ~$49k USD and SkyD blue is like ~22K. The 5905p goes for ~$70k so the trade values seem fairly aligned to me?
Old 18 February 2024, 09:00 AM   #13
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Olive trades for ~$49k USD and SkyD blue is like ~22K. The 5905p goes for ~$70k so the trade values seem fairly aligned to me?
Fairly aligned at retail, but a dealer will not pay you those prices on a trade. Prob need to put up 10k in cash
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 11:28 PM   #14
mjm700
"TRF" Member

I wear mine most days to the office, but wear others when going out / weekends. I wanted a plat watch and an annual calendar. I was sold on the blue dial and matte blue strap combo. Never use the chron.

It is heavy and i switched to the expensive plat deployment because i was worried i would drop it when putting on or taking off. It does stick up a bit but that doesn’t bother me and again i enjoy the nice plat tone.

A few quick photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 11:31 PM   #15
mjm700
"TRF" Member

and.. yes, I wear it often and no, I didn't clean it for the photos :)
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 10:20 AM   #16
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
and.. yes, I wear it often and no, I didn't clean it for the photos :)
looks great on your wrist man. what is your wrist size? the dealer that has it was closed for the long weekend so I wasn't able to try one on yet.
Old 19 February 2024, 11:05 AM   #17
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

What year is it and what is the asking price? These trade well below retail (at least in SG). About US$63k.

I am actually thinking of trading my 16202 for it (never wore it, too small for 19cm wrist.

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 04:43 PM   #18
iten
"TRF" Member

Apologies for diverting the discussion, but since we're already discussing the 5905P, I would like to ask about my next acquisition.

Around 2.5 years ago, I purchased a 5905P as my first watch from an authorized dealer, and I managed to acquire a 5212A years (which I understand was quite challenging to obtain during the pandemic) 6 months ago after being on the list for 2 years. Given this context, I'm curious if it would be reasonable to approach the AD and inquire about the possibility of acquiring an Aquanaut or Nautilus model, such as the 5267A Diamond Lady Quartz Aquanaut. Unfortunately, my sales representative seems reluctant to entertain this request and continues to steer me towards dress watches.

While I do have a preference for Patek Philippe's dress watches, I'm unsure whether it's worth continuing my future purchases with this particular AD if they are unable to accommodate my interest in sports watches.

I know every dealer and every relationship is different, but just want to know what you guys think.
iten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 12:30 PM   #19
SDDS
"TRF" Member

I love mine and its one of my favorite reference especially the black dial, you can play around changing straps

Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 06:26 PM   #20
Top_Clock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
I love mine and its one of my favorite reference especially the black dial, you can play around changing straps

Magnificient piece! Pure art! Btw what is that strap? From patek?
Top_Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 10:38 AM   #21
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Yes from Patek

Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 11:02 AM   #22
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iten View Post
Apologies for diverting the discussion, but since we're already discussing the 5905P, I would like to ask about my next acquisition.

Around 2.5 years ago, I purchased a 5905P as my first watch from an authorized dealer, and I managed to acquire a 5212A years (which I understand was quite challenging to obtain during the pandemic) 6 months ago after being on the list for 2 years. Given this context, I'm curious if it would be reasonable to approach the AD and inquire about the possibility of acquiring an Aquanaut or Nautilus model, such as the 5267A Diamond Lady Quartz Aquanaut. Unfortunately, my sales representative seems reluctant to entertain this request and continues to steer me towards dress watches.

While I do have a preference for Patek Philippe's dress watches, I'm unsure whether it's worth continuing my future purchases with this particular AD if they are unable to accommodate my interest in sports watches.

I know every dealer and every relationship is different, but just want to know what you guys think.
tough one, a 5905 and 5212 should be enough for a quartz aquanaut. Hong Kong is probably very competitive. do they offer any other brands you are interested in? If you switch dealers you will have to start from scratch. You could go grey unsure about pricing on the secondary market for this model. good luck.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 03:32 PM   #23
Top_Clock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
Yes from Patek

Is it from 5373P? Can you please check the size of this strap?
Thanks in advance for clarifying
Top_Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 07:20 AM   #24
Whodinkedme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Clock View Post
Is it from 5373P? Can you please check the size of this strap?
Thanks in advance for clarifying
Yes that strap is from the 5373P.

At least one person on this forum put it on the 5212A along with the steel deployant clasp from the 5935A. It looks superb on that watch - the red stitching picks up the red tips on the week of the year and day of the week hands - gorgeous.
Whodinkedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 04:06 PM   #25
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I've tried it both RG and in steel, and sits pretty big on the wrist. Lovely watch but IMO wears quite big.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote