The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2021, 03:33 PM   #31
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Is it too late to give an opinion on this? A few thoughts…

1. The 3861 Sapphire is a great watch! I have one and also an 1861 and an Ed White, too. The 3861 stepped dial, Omega symbol and the movement— It works for me! But you have to really like the Moonwatch. It’s not a watch that has the oh-wow allure of your Aquanaut or even the Daytona. It’s like having a Japanese Market Casio G-Shock, you know it’s cool…but no one else does.
2. Re the OB. It just depends. A sales associate who is straight with you will tell you how it’s going to go down, or at least share what they have seen and know. You’re in Malaysia…not sure how that will work for you. I didn’t put my name down on day 1 for a Snoopy, wanting an Ed White 321 instead. With 5 OB purchases behind me I was told that I “should” be able to get a Snoopy in 2022 (1861, ST1, 50th Apollo, 3861, Ed White 321). What does that mean to you? Well, I think Omega is trying to fulfill demand. Historically, though they like the secondary market demand, they also do try to make the sale directly with the customer…because that leads to more purchases.
3. The Snoopy value prop. I doubt they will drop much in value, but unless you are ok with paying the premium for grey, then it’s really up to you. I hate the whole grey market thing and just avoid it always. If it doesn’t bother you and you want the watch now, it solves a lot of problems for you. I’ve seen it in the flesh and it’s great looking.

Best of luck!!!
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 09:10 PM   #32
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
Is it too late to give an opinion on this? A few thoughts…

1. The 3861 Sapphire is a great watch! I have one and also an 1861 and an Ed White, too. The 3861 stepped dial, Omega symbol and the movement— It works for me! But you have to really like the Moonwatch. It’s not a watch that has the oh-wow allure of your Aquanaut or even the Daytona. It’s like having a Japanese Market Casio G-Shock, you know it’s cool…but no one else does.
2. Re the OB. It just depends. A sales associate who is straight with you will tell you how it’s going to go down, or at least share what they have seen and know. You’re in Malaysia…not sure how that will work for you. I didn’t put my name down on day 1 for a Snoopy, wanting an Ed White 321 instead. With 5 OB purchases behind me I was told that I “should” be able to get a Snoopy in 2022 (1861, ST1, 50th Apollo, 3861, Ed White 321). What does that mean to you? Well, I think Omega is trying to fulfill demand. Historically, though they like the secondary market demand, they also do try to make the sale directly with the customer…because that leads to more purchases.
3. The Snoopy value prop. I doubt they will drop much in value, but unless you are ok with paying the premium for grey, then it’s really up to you. I hate the whole grey market thing and just avoid it always. If it doesn’t bother you and you want the watch now, it solves a lot of problems for you. I’ve seen it in the flesh and it’s great looking.

Best of luck!!!
Hey! It’s not too late to give an input so thanks for this!
I’ve always thought about the moon watch and I actually tried the 1863 twice but it was too big for me. The 3861 fits me better as the lug to lug span is 47mm. I’m looking to collect more chronographs essentially and with the moon watch now fitting my wrist span I think it’s the right model to pull the trigger.

There’s a guy called Speedmaster101 and he has an immense collection of Speedmasters. I do think Speedmasters are collectible so in the long run so playing the OB boutique game may work but by that time the Snoopy would have finished production. So with regards to the current offering I’m probably keen only on the 3861, EW321 and the Snoopy. Two of it which are impossible to get without paying a premium. Hence why I said the relationship building exercise with an OB boutique is impossible. They wanted me to spend approx $60-70k USD when I last spoke to them. I’m like “no f**king way”

I might just get a 3861 - AML, stepped dial, dot over 90, new bracelet looks better than the 1861. Manually wound Chronograph. All good reasons to get one.
I share the same thoughts as you about they grey market. That’s another reason why I’m haven’t pulled the trigger on the snoopy. But it’s a beauty. We will see how it goes. Thanks for the input!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 11:09 PM   #33
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

To own one, it's a great watch. I love the animation. But it's always a Speed, with a caliber present on other cheaper ones...

I'm glad I had access to it, but I will never put the speculative price. This is clearly overkill !
You must not be very smart, and without judging I wonder who can put so much ...

It remains an industrial production, the dropper delivery is created from scratch in order to create the strong demand.
I think you must therefore wait a while, for the situation to decent a bit, I will say from 2023.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 06:50 AM   #34
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toproll85 View Post
…You must not be very smart…
Maybe it takes one to know one…?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 01:36 PM   #35
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I don't know about Malaysia, but, here in the states, if you haven't been on the list from shortly after its announcement, and that's with a decent purchase history, you're out of luck. I think that could change if you were willing to drop $100,000 or more on some not so desirable watches, but that's about it.

As for the watch itself, it's a fun piece that I would maybe consider at retail for the investment potential and for something fun to play with in the watch box but it's not something I'd really wear. For wearability, I'd much prefer the Ed White or the 3861. I'd recommend trying to get one of those, although they're not the hype watch that the Snoopy is. In my opinion, the grey market price for the Snoopy is insane. If you wanted to spend that for a Speedmaster, I'd go for a Canopus Gold Speedmaster.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 01:22 AM   #36
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Wish I had the right answer for you, I remember debating the Apollo 13th when it was 20k, now look at them.........
At the same time adding a hesalite or any other of the great speedies is always a great idea if you want to scratch the itch in the meantime.
I'm now thinking about the silver snoopy and doubt I'll get allocated one so I'm keeping an eye on grey prices.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 03:58 PM   #37
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Been waiting for an EW 321 and just bit the bullet and went grey. Should be here in a few m days. Pretty excited to try it on. Crazy you have to spend all this dough before you can even see most watches these days
Old 19 December 2021, 07:24 PM   #38
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
Maybe it takes one to know one…?
So to know and understand, In Asia it's starting to get inundated with Snoopy because they delivered almost everything there.
They prioritized their biggest market.
Less delivery in Europe or America, as a result of this famous hype.

As I said, let 2023 come, deliveries will increase elsewhere and things will calm down everywhere ...

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 07:59 PM   #39
Henry.hoe
"TRF" Member

Going for such pieces is a waiting game. Be patient.
Henry.hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 02:45 AM   #40
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I sold my 3861 as soon as I got Snoopy. Absolutely love it. I think it looks even better on the bracelet

Old 20 December 2021, 02:51 AM   #41
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I sold my 3861 as soon as I got Snoopy. Absolutely love it. I think it looks even better on the bracelet

So nice. I would really like one of those, such a stunning watch.. I just this week purchased my first Omega. A blue dial speedy.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 02:57 AM   #42
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
So nice. I would really like one of those, such a stunning watch.. I just this week purchased my first Omega. A blue dial speedy.
Congratulations on your 1st Omega. I have Snoopy 2 and Seamaster 300m white dial as well. Pics of your Speedy please
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 04:18 AM   #43
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
I was thinking the same
might be a new tintin
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2022, 09:40 AM   #44
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Just a little update: I bought the 3861 Sapphire sandwich! Didn’t want to indulge in the grey market shenanigans where prices go only one way and uncertainty about frauds and scams. Really happy with the watch after wearing it for a while.
It’s a great mechanical watch for its price point and for its history and heritage, it deserves all the plaudits it gets!

F65E29AC-AD33-4738-8CB8-4AC1375D887F.jpeg
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2022, 01:09 PM   #45
Tower7
"TRF" Member

Congrats! The 3861 looks great. I definitely want to add one to my collection one day. Seems like there are a good amount of upgrades between the 3861 and the previous generation. Did you have to go on a waiting list to get it?
Tower7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2022, 03:02 PM   #46
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower7 View Post
Congrats! The 3861 looks great. I definitely want to add one to my collection one day. Seems like there are a good amount of upgrades between the 3861 and the previous generation. Did you have to go on a waiting list to get it?
Regular 3861 Hesalite/Sapphire Sandwich Speedmasters don't really require a waiting list. They're pretty available at your local Omega boutique or AD. Snoopy is impossible.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote