The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 March 2010, 02:29 PM   #1
watchteacher

Watch: Tiffany blue Sub
Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified

Isn't the COSC test pass fail? So how does Rolex get away with saying this? As an owner I've always been surprised at that wording.
Old 3 March 2010, 02:35 PM   #2
sevykor
"TRF" Member

The movement is tested out of the case and before it even gets a known case. Rolex uses the ones that pass (or so I was told). So all are certified chronometers.
Old 3 March 2010, 02:40 PM   #3
watchteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
The movement is tested out of the case and before it even gets a known case. Rolex uses the ones that pass (or so I was told). So all are certified chronometers.
COSC tests only movements, not cased watches. So how are Rolex chronometers superlative to other ones? I agree it's a better movement than your ordinary 2892-2 ETA, but in a pure timekeeping test . . .
Old 3 March 2010, 02:51 PM   #4
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchteacher View Post
COSC tests only movements, not cased watches. So how are Rolex chronometers superlative to other ones? I agree it's a better movement than your ordinary 2892-2 ETA, but in a pure timekeeping test . . .
Maybe I don't understand what you are asking, but to what "other ones" are you referring. All Rolex models currently produced are chronometers no better or worse than other COSC tested chronometers (including ETA) with regard to the COSC testing procedure. I don't buy into "superlative" as suggesting "better than" any other brand. Superlative (for Rolex) is just a little hype to sell a brand maybe? Hey, they are proud of their movement. I'm sure the Patek Philippe people may have something to say about what superlative means to them :).
Old 3 March 2010, 03:02 PM   #5
watchteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
Maybe I don't understand what you are asking, but to what "other ones" are you referring. All Rolex models currently produced are chronometers no better or worse than other COSC tested chronometers (including ETA) with regard to the COSC testing procedure. I don't buy into "superlative" as suggesting "better than" any other brand. Superlative (for Rolex) is just a little hype to sell a brand maybe? Hey, they are proud of their movement. I'm sure the Patek Philippe people may have something to say about what superlative means to them :).
We're almost there. All chronometers are essentially equal-they all pass the test. Why does Rolex say their chronometers are 'superlative' to others, when the results are pass/fail?

For PP, the Geneva Seal used to guarantee chronometer performance. I don't know if their own certification does the same.
Old 3 March 2010, 11:46 PM   #6
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For PP, the Geneva Seal used to guarantee chronometer performance. I don't know if their own certification does the same.
I've heard PP is now going without the Geneva Seal. Not because they can't conform to the standards required of the seal, but rather (and this is not 100% certain) the ease in many brands meeting the same standards (including Cartier) gets under their skin. Or in other words, PP doesn't think Cartier deserves to be in the same league.

Rolex may find themselves superlative but I would like to hear from a Rolex insider why they chose to use "superlative". Perhaps it really is all about marketing and self promotion. To a non-WIS, Rolex may be considered to be the best of the best. We all know there are many brands out their that equally deserve to be called "superlative" too.
Old 4 March 2010, 02:39 AM   #7
everose

Quote:
We're almost there. All chronometers are essentially equal-they all pass the test. Why does Rolex say their chronometers are 'superlative' to others, when the results are pass/fail?

As far as i know,The Geneva Seal DOES NOT actually test EVERY mvmt for chronometer performance itself,......BUT the watch MUST have passed COSC testing in order to be considered for the Geneva Seal.

Surprisingly precision testing itself is an OPTIONAL part of the GS inspection process!!

Old 7 March 2010, 07:11 PM   #8
galloman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why does Rolex say their chronometers are 'superlative' to others, when the results are pass/fail?
For the same reason they say 904L is 'the' steel
Old 3 March 2010, 03:09 PM   #9
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
i never thought about that. It could be referring to the notion that being an officially certified chronometer is intrisically superlative than being a non chronometer watch.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 3 March 2010, 03:12 PM   #10
watchteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
i never thought about that. It could be referring to the notion that being an officially certified chronometer is intrisically superlative than being a non chronometer watch.
But don't you think this is implying some chronometers are better than others?
Old 3 March 2010, 03:18 PM   #11
toph
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=watchteacher;1690663]But don't you think this is implying some chronometers are better than others?[/QUOTE

Possibly. But Like to think it is referring to a chronomtere being superlative in itself It is actually hard for me to say because, I , like most of us on here, know that all chronometers are tested to the same fundamental standards, so are 'technically' all equal. So this puts a bias on the way i want to understand the wording. its hard to be objective when you know better

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 3 March 2010, 03:20 PM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's

They don't reference any other watches, or even imply that they do...

They simply say that their watch is a self named "Superlative Chronometer"
Old 3 March 2010, 03:25 PM   #13
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

They don't reference any other watches, or even imply that they do...

They simply say that their watch is a self named "Superlative Chronometer"
Granted
BUT superlative is to be better than anything comparable.......... it's just what is the comparable in this case- my view is above

Member No.# 11795
Old 3 March 2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Granted
BUT superlative is to be better than anything comparable.......... it's just what is the comparable in this case- my view is above
I guess they thought it just sounds better than putting "Comparative Chronometer"
Old 3 March 2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I read that Rolex has an in-house specification standard that is better than the -4/+6 COSC spec. If this is correct then the movements would be superrlative (to the COSC) chronometer standards.

Old 3 March 2010, 03:31 PM   #16
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I read that Rolex has an in-house specification standard that is better than the -4/+6 COSC spec. If this is correct then the movements would be superrlative (to the COSC) chronometer standards.
So why would they bother with COSC at all, if they have a better method? That is what IWC do.

Member No.# 11795
Old 3 March 2010, 03:36 PM   #17
watchteacher

I guess my final take on this is-when the COSC, who issues the certs, doesn't distinguish who is 'superlative' and who is not-why does Rolex claims their movements merits this? (and mine has this).
Old 3 March 2010, 11:17 PM   #18
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess my final take on this is-when the COSC, who issues the certs, doesn't distinguish who is 'superlative' and who is not-why does Rolex claims their movements merits this? (and mine has this).
You're reading way too much into this. It's just brand marketing. No more, no less.
Old 4 March 2010, 02:47 AM   #19
DDG

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
All this hype might have meant something back in the 50's, 60's or 70's, but not anymore. You are supposed to think "Superlative Chronometer" means consistant accuracy, but we all know better. Good time keepers they are not. Just look at your cell phone if you want correct time. You don't have to put it on a winder to keep it going, or lay it upside down or on it's side to make it keep time. But, it's satisfying to have one these beautiful, high quality, works of art on your wrist. It makes everybody else wonder what you've been up to.
Old 3 March 2010, 10:27 PM   #20
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 14060
"Superlative" is Rolex marketing fluff. Sounds good though doesn't it?

1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 3 March 2010, 11:02 PM   #21
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
"Superlative" is Rolex marketing fluff. Sounds good though doesn't it?
Exactly.

There was a time when they didn't.

Old 3 March 2010, 11:04 PM   #22
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Exactly.

Mike, that watch is just not Superlative. Not at all.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
Old 7 March 2010, 09:44 PM   #23
RRY
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn.
Quote:
Exactly.

oooh goodness I just fainted.

Old 8 March 2010, 01:08 PM   #24
chiscoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly.

Good post!
Old 3 March 2010, 10:39 PM   #25
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
"Run-o-the-mill Chronometer" just doesn't get my juices going. Would be a waste of ink.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
Old 3 March 2010, 10:59 PM   #26
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
I have often dreamt of a non-COSC Explorer, on a NATO band.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EX nonCOSC.jpg (204.3 KB, 784 views)
Old 4 March 2010, 02:36 AM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
"Run-o-the-mill Chronometer" just doesn't get my juices going. Would be a waste of ink.
A Swiss chronometer is a Swiss chronometer and if the movements are a certain size are tested to the same standard no matter what the brand.And a Superlative chronometer is no better than any other swiss tested chronometer.Today the Swiss COSC is little more than a pure marketing ploy.
As nearly every modern day movement with some very careful regulation could pass the now quite antiquated COSC test.Now the European Din standard and the Japanese standard for mechanical chronometers are to a higher standard than the Swiss COSC.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 8 March 2010, 01:43 PM   #28
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
Or "Ordinary'' or "Normal'' or "Non-standard''.....I guess "Superlative'' has a nicer ring to it, so the marketing boffins at Rolex went with that instead.
Old 4 March 2010, 01:28 AM   #29
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
While we're at it, you could also question why do Rolex put "Officially Certified" (Chronometer should be enough) or "Swiss Made" there. Or why do they write "Chronometer" there at all. If all Rolex watches are officially certified chronometers, and they're all swiss-made, it's not necessary to indicate that on their dial. But for marketing reasons it's useful to put such proud things on the dial. And using such words like "Superlative" (Rolex), "First" (... watch on the moon, Omega Speedmaster) or "Best" (no example, I hope) may just seperate those pieces from other brands. Even if you're certain Rolex makes the best watches, it's nice to get reassurance from the watch itself -- it is really a superlative piece, it says on the dial ;)
Old 4 March 2010, 01:37 AM   #30
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
This might be easier for Rolex then...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.0 KB, 374 views)
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Closed Thread