The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 January 2024, 07:13 AM   #1
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Thinking of recutting my Sub?

Hi all,

I purchased my 16800 several years ago and love this watch tremendously. It runs extremely accurately, feels as solid as any new watch on the wrist, and just feels right. Needless to say, unless I fall on some hard times I have no intention of letting this one go and the delta in $ amount that a recut would bring to this watch is not an issue.

Then why consider a recut if all feels so good? Well, I enjoy wearing watches and (this might sound a bit silly) but I enjoy making memories with them. My kids affectionately call my BB58 the vacation Tudor because it's come with me on most vacations that we've taken, and I have a few others that have similar back stories. Considering this, while I love the watch for its vintage character and feel, I feel like the case is showing the life with its previous owner and not its life with me. So while I don't intend to bang the watch up just for sake of creating memories, if and when my son receives this piece from me, those signs of wear will be from his dad rather than from someone we never knew.

With that in mind, I am curious what people's thought are. Definitely not asking anyone to decide for me, but more wanting to know if I am the only one with these kinds of crazy thoughts. Ideally, I'd love for this watch to have all the new lines of a NOS piece with chunky chamfers that it likely had back when it was new. This way I could start building my own memories with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210611_155952.jpg (209.3 KB, 328 views)
Old 24 January 2024, 08:15 AM   #2
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

I might add that the watch came to be as just the head. No box or papers (although I've sourced the correct box/manuals/and bracelet since). Still it's not an original package.
Old 24 January 2024, 08:19 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you mean deeper chamfers, then I would say that I like the look of the slightly more defined chamfers on older Subs. The brush job on the tops of the lugs is rough here.

It's up to you. Deeper cuts cannot be easily reversed if you go that route.
Old 24 January 2024, 08:21 AM   #4
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Hi Ascari, I asked the same question regarding my GMT a few years back right after it was serviced. You have not provided that many pics to make a really good determination but it does look to be better or about the same as mine when I asked. Many responded for which I am grateful. Here is the thread if you are interested: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=823343

No, I never did get it done but if I did, I would try Zimmerman Watch Repair. These guys: https://facebook.com/ZimmermanWatchRepair/

BTW, love the last few watches you shared on TRF!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 08:36 AM   #5
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Hi Ascari, I asked the same question regarding my GMT a few years back right after it was serviced. You have not provided that many pics to make a really good determination but it does look to be better or about the same as mine when I asked. Many responded for which I am grateful. Here is the thread if you are interested: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=823343

No, I never did get it done but if I did, I would try Zimmerman Watch Repair. These guys: https://facebook.com/ZimmermanWatchRepair/

BTW, love the last few watches you shared on TRF!
Thank you, Lord :). I actually reached out to them along with a few others just to get a lay of the land.

And I appreciate sending the thread. I think your and my watches are rather similar in condition (I'll provide some additional pics of the case a little later). But I do want to stress that I wouldn't be doing this because the case is too thin or over-polished. Would be doing it to give it essentially a new start with me for the next 20-30 years. I know, weird idea to some, but we all have our quirks :)

And appreciate the kind words on the last few watches. It's great to have a hobby that you can actually immerse yourself in.
Old 24 January 2024, 08:40 AM   #6
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If you mean deeper chamfers, then I would say that I like the look of the slightly more defined chamfers on older Subs. The brush job on the tops of the lugs is rough here.

It's up to you. Deeper cuts cannot be easily reversed if you go that route.
"Chamfers" ... that's the word I was looking for!
Old 24 January 2024, 08:41 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I have had the case refinished on a couple of watches that had been poorly polished in the past, and I do get more enjoyment from them now. I think it's a personal decision and depends on the current condition of the case for me.
Old 24 January 2024, 11:00 AM   #8
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
You explained your line of thought so well that sounds like it make sense to do it, it's like having a new "canvas".
Also helps the fact that those lugs looks pretty rough, so why not...
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:26 AM   #9
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
would a regular polish do the trick?
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:52 AM   #10
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Not crazy at all. I, too, have a vacation BB58 (though no kids….that I’m aware of) and an old (1966) Sub that I adore, save for receiving it after it had been savagely over-polished. I got it recut by Rolliworks, and couldn’t be happier.
Old 25 January 2024, 02:59 AM   #11
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I think your explanation makes a lot of sense, especially with the expertise that has emerged in doing this in the past five years or so. Zimmerman, LAWW, etc., seem to have gotten so good at this in recent years that even a lot of purists seem to be on board with proper recutting. Just observing the general comments about these recut cases, the overwhelming consensus used to be negative. This seems to have changed. Of course, it depends on whether the watch is really special and has a good story. In your case, I say go for it (with the right shop).
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 03:35 AM   #12
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari_2 View Post
Thank you, Lord :). I actually reached out to them along with a few others just to get a lay of the land.

And I appreciate sending the thread. I think your and my watches are rather similar in condition (I'll provide some additional pics of the case a little later). But I do want to stress that I wouldn't be doing this because the case is too thin or over-polished. Would be doing it to give it essentially a new start with me for the next 20-30 years. I know, weird idea to some, but we all have our quirks :)

And appreciate the kind words on the last few watches. It's great to have a hobby that you can actually immerse yourself in.
My pleasure. If I were to do it, it would be for the same reasons—a fresh start and I do like a solid set of chamfers! I know for a fact that none of those dents and scratches on my dad's watch were memorable to him, nor the ones I added later, to me. Just damage incurred over a half century of use. Well in my case maybe only 30 years. After I had it serviced after 20 years in a drawer he was surprised I still had it.
Old 25 January 2024, 03:38 AM   #13
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
My pleasure. If I were to do it, it would be for the same reasons—a fresh start and I do like a solid set of chamfers! I know for a fact that none of those dents and scratches on my dad's watch were memorable to him, nor the ones I added later, to me. Just damage incurred over a half century of use. Well in my case maybe only 30 years. After I had it serviced after 20 years in a drawer he was surprised I still had it.
Hey, at least it'll be my own damage

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 25 January 2024, 03:49 AM   #14
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
To my eyes that already looks fine and dandy. All my early 50s professionals are polished/worn. Never considered doing them and personally would not do any later ones either like 16750's or 16800's...I'm a stickler for originality though to a fault perhaps (even if as a result it's a bit scruffy) on just about anything though.... including some very scruffy 2-stroke superbikes from 70s.
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 12:40 PM   #15
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Came out very nice. Thinking about this on a piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
To my eyes that already looks fine and dandy. All my early 50s professionals are polished/worn. Never considered doing them and personally would not do any later ones either like 16750's or 16800's...I'm a stickler for originality though to a fault perhaps (even if as a result it's a bit scruffy) on just about anything though.... including some very scruffy 2-stroke superbikes from 70s.
Love me some honest 50s subs - will need you to do a Show & Tell one day ; )
Old 25 January 2024, 12:53 PM   #16
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Came out very nice. Thinking about this on a piece

Love me some honest 50s subs - will need you to do a Show & Tell one day ; )
What Linsiders said!