The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2019, 07:03 PM   #61
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I recommend these phone app accuracy nuts buy some cheap autos from ebay, basic case opener and screwdriver set and play around with accuracy for themselves. They then might realise what a stable little creature a Rolex movement is and perhaps not spend time complaining when their new Sub or whatever is a couple of seconds and a half out of the recommended +-2 per day.

I recommend all the nuts, complaining about the other nuts, complaining about the accuracy of their watches, refrain from commenting if you have nothing constructive to offer.

Although I may disagree a little with padi on how accurate is good enough, he at least backs his disdain for us accuracy nuts with a logical, well though out arguments for his Lebowski-esque position.

The rest of you offer nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:17 PM   #62
Jostack
"TRF" Member

This thread started with the OP questioning the AD’s response to a legitimate question about the accuracy of his watch. Then asked what a ‘quick service’ was.

Slowly and predictably, the pitchforks came out to condemn for even questioning accuracy.

Even after his questions were answered, you all persist to ridicule from the peanut gallery.

Is to the point of comedy for me.

Old 25 September 2019, 01:42 AM   #63
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Yes, but its in the wearer's favour.

Bottom line is, no matter how anally retentive one may think it is, Rolex sell the watches on a -2/+2 basis and if its outwith those specs the wearer has an absolute legal right to send it back under warranty.

I think we also need to remember that many who are new to Rolex may also be new to automatic movements and +5 seconds per day without the understanding of what's happening inside that case is poor when compared to what they may be used to with a quartz watch.

+5, for example, is nothing in real terms (as Peter likes to post) but its less than half as "accurate" as Rolex say it should be.

Its all relative to expectations
Agreed.

I'm still wondering if Rolex just rolled the dice on this as a sales mkting strategy to combat Omega. Figuring even if they get like 5% of SS or sport model owners complaining, the related sales and press benefits are worth it.

Besides, there' aren't many SS or sport to sell... So, maybe there's only like 5 in for service worldwide
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 01:43 AM   #64
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
This thread started with the OP questioning the AD’s response to a legitimate question about the accuracy of his watch. Then asked what a ‘quick service’ was.

Slowly and predictably, the pitchforks came out to condemn for even questioning accuracy.

Even after his questions were answered, you all persist to ridicule from the peanut gallery.

Is to the point of comedy for me.

At least there's no 2 drink min at this comedy club.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 01:50 AM   #65
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now many members have seemed to have caught this latest -2+2 syndrome plus the many others APS {Alignment point syndrome} CCTS {constant checking time syndrome}.Now regarding the latest -2+2 spec what in the real world does this mean.Well first the bare uncased movement is tested to the Swiss chronometer standard at the COSC which is a AVERAGE of between -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period. And when testing in the first 10 days of said test the movement could vary by 10 seconds in a single 24 hours and still pass the test.After movement gets certified and passes its shipped back to Rolex in there hundreds then stored till needed to match to a case.Now if its true Rolex must re-regulate and test on a machines perhaps many at a time to this new specification a AVERAGE-2+2. What does this mean well in the real world it was tested on a machine and passed said test at the time of testing, much like the certification at the COSC. Now this test does not mean the movement will be -2+2 every single day for life.As on the wrist its a bit different to what the test on a machine,already some on forum wanting to rush out and regulate because there watch was only showing a consistent +4 seconds.So got to ask myself are these 2 seconds either way out of 86400 in a day all that important are they life threatening in any way.Would these two seconds or so dramatically have a effect on anyone's daily routine, if it does then I feel very sorry for them.There comes a point in life when all these OCD issues start to take the enjoyment out of wearing any Rolex watch.So guys please get rid of all these OCDs and start enjoying your watches for what they are,one of the finest mechanical watches made today. Life is far to short to worry and fret over these very minor trivialities like a couple of seconds trust me from one that knows.
Words of knowledge and wisdom, thank you Padi.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 02:23 AM   #66
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

clocks move faster in space... even in experiments on stairs one step apart they are different. Now what?

time appears to move slower near massive objects because the object's gravitational force bends space-time.... so, how much do you weigh? eat some twinkies if your watch is gaining time and report back
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 03:44 AM   #67
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
when they changed over it applied to everything not just the new movements. One day it was COSC spec and the next it was Rolex spec with a simple swap of the chronometer tag from red to green. Same watch, same movement as the day before.

I guess you could say all the 32 series movements were always marketed as +2/-2 where as the others just got it one day

So if you have a 3186 movement with a red tag its not +2/-2 but if you have a 3186 movement with a green tag it is. which leads me to believe its far more marketing than anything. I suppose your red tag 3186 gets +2/-2 after a service though even if you bought it with a red tag and COSC spec
Great points Tyler.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 04:12 AM   #68
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Watches work by a beat.....We work by a beat. Ours doesn't always run at the exact same beat neither do my watches.....
Just sayin

R
ROGERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 04:40 AM   #69
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
There are those that wear the "watch as jewelry" and those that wear the "watch as a timekeeper." The former don't even notice nor care if the watch is accurate. The latter want a device that can keep time at least roughly particularly if they paid a premium for said timekeeping device. In the middle there are those that wear a "watch as a fantastic piece of 19th century technology." They can fall in either of the first two camps but mostly the latter.

For me the ability to keep accurate time is absolutely necessary as I don't wear extraneous jewelry. So if it doesn't keep time accurately it won't go on my wrist. But I do understand that many people wear a watch as one of their pieces of jewelry and others wear a watch to announce to others their success in the world.
You should wear a quartz watch then... When you purchase a mechanical timepiece you are accepting variation in timekeeping ability. Even a Rolex firmly regulated to +/- 2 seconds out of the factory has zero guarantee that it remain that way on the wrist. A watch at +/-4 seconds could just as easily be +/-2 depending on position, wear, and vice versa. Real Swiss watchmakers must be rolling their eyes when someone comes in complaining of +4 seconds for all the reasons Padi pointed out. It's like buying a reclaimed wooden table and being upset that the wood is imperfect.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 05:18 AM   #70
Johnnie K
"TRF" Member

It's interesting to see all the different opinions regarding what the +-difference is supposed to be for Rolex watches. I just recently bought my first and probably only Rolex, a 1975 1603 DJ, and I can tell you I am fascinated that a watch that is almost 45 years old or maybe even older can still keep excellent time and look so awesome. Whether it's 1 second slow or 7 seconds fast, it's a beautifully crafted timepiece that will live on forever. So, IMHO appreciate that you have a beautiful watch and wear it in good health.
Johnnie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 05:25 AM   #71
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=pkincy;10001884

For me the ability to keep accurate time is absolutely necessary as I don't wear extraneous jewelry. So if it doesn't keep time accurately it won't go on my wrist. But I do understand that many people wear a watch as one of their pieces of jewelry and others wear a watch to announce to others their success in the world.[/QUOTE]

So I assume you wear a quartz watch? Because that’s what you need for assured accuracy. And that seems to be your main objective. I have Grand Seikos accurate to a few seconds a year.
My Rolex is great, but it’s obsolete technology and has been for half a century. You love it for what it is....
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 12:05 PM   #72
snyde
"TRF" Member

I used a watch tracker app for fun when I first got my white OP. First 30 days and it was +0.4 seconds. I did another test 6 months later for 19 days and it’s -0.5 seconds. Normally I wouldn’t bother tracking this data, but I was surprised with the accuracy these watches are capable of.
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 09:27 AM   #73
deepseacarmel
"TRF" Member

I suspected my JC DSSD was running slow recently.
Wore it 24/7 for 1 year, never hit it or dropped it, but I was always very careful with it.
I bought the Watch Tracker app suggested by my AD website.
It said it was losing 18 seconds per day.
My wife laughed when I told her I wanted to take it back to the AD since it's under warranty.
Would you guys/gals worry about 18 second loss per day?
I was getting annoyed having to set my watch every 2 weeks even if I wore it non stop.
deepseacarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 09:40 AM   #74
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Yes