The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2019, 01:10 AM   #1
BigBallerBrand
Banned

AD says specs are -4 to +6 seconds, not +/- 2

My watch was gaining more than 2 seconds a day so I brought it in to an AD...after scolding me that my watch was fine and that technically Rolex’s specs are -4 to +6 seconds, I convinced the AD to check out my watch under warranty. It got sent to Rolex (I went to Torneau AD in SF) and after a week, they told me my watch needs a “quick” 4 week service. Does anyone know what “quick” means as opposed to full service? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigBallerBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:15 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Your AD is a moron as everyone knows by now of Rolex’s “Superlative Chronometer” +2/-2 in-house standard for years now on all the new 32 series movements.
Rolex will simply regulate the movement. In reality this is a 15 minute job if you took it to a RSC in a major city. Always do a power reserve test to check the health of your mainspring of a new watch. It’s like a EKG of your watch’s health. If it is at factory spec (70 hours +or-), then you can eliminate any major internal issues.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:16 AM   #3
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBallerBrand View Post
My watch was gaining more than 2 seconds a day so I brought it in to an AD...after scolding me that my watch was fine and that technically Rolex’s specs are -4 to +6 seconds, I convinced the AD to check out my watch under warranty. It got sent to Rolex (I went to Torneau AD in SF) and after a week, they told me my watch needs a “quick” 4 week service. Does anyone know what “quick” means as opposed to full service? Thanks.

Your AD needs to read Rolex's marketing material.

No idea what a quick service is, however.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:17 AM   #4
harvey
"TRF" Member

I’m still failing to see what was wrong with +2 seconds a day?
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:23 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
I’m still failing to see what was wrong with +2 seconds a day?
He said “more” than 2 seconds a day. How much more might put this in a better context. I wouldn’t touch a new Rolex watch if it was under +4 a day. -4 would be tough to accept.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:33 AM   #6
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
He said “more” than 2 seconds a day. How much more might put this in a better context. I wouldn’t touch a new Rolex watch if it was under +4 a day. -4 would be tough to accept.
Sorry for not reading the post properly.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:43 AM   #7
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Maybe they need to log onto Rolex.com

It’s all there in black and white.

Sounds like a charlatan.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:46 AM   #8
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Here we go again..
Old 24 September 2019, 01:50 AM   #9
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In reality this is a 15 minute job if you took it to a RSC in a major city.
RSC policy on regulation is to hold onto the watch for a week or two to monitor the timekeeping.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:05 AM   #10
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hell, I have a 90 year old Rail-Road certified pocket watch that keeps better time than -4 to +6 sec/day!
tgoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:13 AM   #11
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I guess I must be in the minority.
I own 4 Rolex and my wife 3, and between us, numerous other brands of automatic watches.
I have no clue as to if they run fast or slow and will never have a clue as won’t bother to check.
Old 24 September 2019, 02:24 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Now many members have seemed to have caught this latest -2+2 syndrome plus the many others APS {Alignment point syndrome} CCTS {constant checking time syndrome}.Now regarding the latest -2+2 spec what in the real world does this mean.Well first the bare uncased movement is tested to the Swiss chronometer standard at the COSC which is a AVERAGE of between -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period. And when testing in the first 10 days of said test the movement could vary by 10 seconds in a single 24 hours and still pass the test.After movement gets certified and passes its shipped back to Rolex in there hundreds then stored till needed to match to a case.Now if its true Rolex must re-regulate and test on a machines perhaps many at a time to this new specification a AVERAGE-2+2. What does this mean well in the real world it was tested on a machine and passed said test at the time of testing, much like the certification at the COSC. Now this test does not mean the movement will be -2+2 every single day for life.As on the wrist its a bit different to what the test on a machine,already some on forum wanting to rush out and regulate because there watch was only showing a consistent +4 seconds.So got to ask myself are these 2 seconds either way out of 86400 in a day all that important are they life threatening in any way.Would these two seconds or so dramatically have a effect on anyone's daily routine, if it does then I feel very sorry for them.There comes a point in life when all these OCD issues start to take the enjoyment out of wearing any Rolex watch.So guys please get rid of all these OCDs and start enjoying your watches for what they are,one of the finest mechanical watches made today. Life is far to short to worry and fret over these very minor trivialities like a couple of seconds trust me from one that knows.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:26 AM   #13
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post

I own 4 Rolex and my wife 3, and between us, numerous other brands of automatic watches.

I have no clue as to if they run fast or slow and will never have a clue as won’t bother to check.

You are not. Your supporters should be along soon.

Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:27 AM   #14
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now many members have seemed to have caught this latest -2+2 syndrome plus the many others APS {Alignment point syndrome} CCTS {constant checking time syndrome}.Now regarding the latest -2+2 spec what in the real world does this mean.Well first the movement is tested to the Swiss chronometer standard at the COSC which is a AVERAGE of between -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period. And when testing in the first 10 days of said test the movement could vary by 10 seconds in a single 24 hours and still pass the test.After movement gets certified and passes its shipped back to Rolex in there hundreds then stored till needed to match to a case.Now if its true Rolex must re-regulate and test on a machine to this new specification a AVERAGE-2+2. What does this mean well in the real world it was tested on a machine and passed said test at the time of testing, much like the certification at the COSC. Now this test does not mean the movement will be -2+2 every single day for life.As on the wrist its a bit different to what the test on a machine,already some on forum wanting to rush out and regulate because there watch was only showing a consistent +4 seconds.So got to ask myself are these 2 seconds either way out of 86400 in a day all that important are they life threatening in any way.Would these two seconds dramatically have a effect on anyone's daily routine if it does then I feel very sorry for them.There comes a point in life when all these OCD issues start to take the enjoyment out of wearing any Rolex watch.So guys please get rid of all these OCDs and start enjoying your watches for what they are,one of the finest mechanical watches made today. Life is far to short to worry and fret over these very minor trivialities like a couple of seconds trust me from one that knows.

I hope you have this on copy/paste by now :)

Old 24 September 2019, 02:30 AM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Ad is wrong

Just because they sell watches doesn’t mean they are experts.

When I bought my Seiko turtle, the lady offered me extended battery warranty or whatever

I didn’t argue or tell her she’s wrong, I just said “no thank you”
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:45 AM   #16
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
x2 Mine fall within my 'superlatively bearable' and 'unbearable pita' specs.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:49 AM   #17
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
Quote:
(I went to Torneau AD)

problem found!
mulgogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:52 AM   #18
pkincy
"TRF" Member

There are those that wear the "watch as jewelry" and those that wear the "watch as a timekeeper." The former don't even notice nor care if the watch is accurate. The latter want a device that can keep time at least roughly particularly if they paid a premium for said timekeeping device. In the middle there are those that wear a "watch as a fantastic piece of 19th century technology." They can fall in either of the first two camps but mostly the latter.

For me the ability to keep accurate time is absolutely necessary as I don't wear extraneous jewelry. So if it doesn't keep time accurately it won't go on my wrist. But I do understand that many people wear a watch as one of their pieces of jewelry and others wear a watch to announce to others their success in the world.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:53 AM   #19
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

How old is your watch and how much is it gaining, on average over a decent period?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:55 AM   #20
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
My 126710 was running -4 to -6 s/d... call me whatever you will. I dropped it off at the local RSC, and picked it up exactly one week later and they regulated it to +0.6 s/d.

It not unreasonable to seek a tune-up for one of the finest mechanical watches made today.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 02:57 AM   #21
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

My 2018 exp1 and 2018 milgauss are gaining 5/6 seconds a day. Not an issue for me because i rotate every couple of days anyways. However if it was a daily it would mean i would have to set it 2/3 times a month which would bug me a bit i guess. My other -2 +2 pieces Daytona/DD/BLRO/SD43/BLNR/EXP2 are all within the advertised -2 +2 range.

Most accurate watch i own is a Breitling Montbrillant with the B01 movement. Constant +0.5/+1S a week. Least accurate is my RO 15400 from 2019, its gaining 10s a day.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 03:00 AM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Your AD is a moron as everyone knows by now of Rolex’s “Superlative Chronometer” +2/-2 in-house standard for years now on all the new 32 series movements.
when they changed over it applied to everything not just the new movements. One day it was COSC spec and the next it was Rolex spec with a simple swap of the chronometer tag from red to green. Same watch, same movement as the day before.

I guess you could say all the 32 series movements were always marketed as +2/-2 where as the others just got it one day

So if you have a 3186 movement with a red tag its not +2/-2 but if you have a 3186 movement with a green tag it is. which leads me to believe its far more marketing than anything. I suppose your red tag 3186 gets +2/-2 after a service though even if you bought it with a red tag and COSC spec
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 03:08 AM   #23
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
For me the ability to keep accurate time is absolutely necessary as I don't wear extraneous jewelry. So if it doesn't keep time accurately it won't go on my wrist. But I do understand that many people wear a watch as one of their pieces of jewelry and others wear a watch to announce to others their success in the world.
So I take it you are not going to wear any mechanical watches? None are accurate. All will have a variance.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 03:17 AM   #24
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date
Quote:

This haha, have had my sub for about 5 months now and if I go by cell phone time it seems to loose time but if I go by where the min and sec hands were when I set the time it hasn’t moved any. I’ve also read post that depending what way you set/store your watch ie crown up or down you can gain or loose a second or two

AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 03:19 AM   #25
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
There are those that wear the "watch as jewelry" and those that wear the "watch as a timekeeper." The former don't even notice nor care if the watch is accurate. The latter want a device that can keep time at least roughly particularly if they paid a premium for said timekeeping device. In the middle there are those that wear a "watch as a fantastic piece of 19th century technology." They can fall in either of the first two camps but mostly the latter.

I wear mine cause I love the watch but I like it to keep accurate time too, but I personally don’t notice a few seconds when compared to cell phone time. It stays set where I set it and doesn’t seem to change so I’m good with that

AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 03:20 AM   #26
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rolex View Post
Maybe they need to log onto Rolex.com

It’s all there in black and white.

Sounds like a charlatan.

Anyone got a link?

Can't seem to find this +-2 in digital ink, anywhere.

And fwiw, there's plenty of grey details to justify if it isn't in the +-2 ranges.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 03:25 AM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
when they changed over it applied to everything not just the new movements. One day it was COSC spec and the next it was Rolex spec with a simple swap of the chronometer tag from red to green. Same watch, same movement as the day before.

I guess you could say all the 32 series movements were always marketed as +2/-2 where as the others just got it one day

So if you have a 3186 movement with a red tag its not +2/-2 but if you have a 3186 movement with a green tag it is. which leads me to believe its far more marketing than anything. I suppose your red tag 3186 gets +2/-2 after a service though even if you bought it with a red tag and COSC spec
Divine intervention my friend
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 04:11 AM   #28
Jostack
"TRF" Member

AD says specs are -4 to +6 seconds, not +/- 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Anyone got a link?

Can't seem to find this +-2 in digital ink, anywhere.

And fwiw, there's plenty of grey details to justify if it isn't in the +-2 ranges.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-e...n-house-tests/

I don’t know if it is grey details. If it passes the Rolex testing method, it is within spec. It doesn’t really matter what it does on your wrist.

Old 24 September 2019, 04:29 AM   #29
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-e...n-house-tests/

I don’t know if it is grey details. If it passes the Rolex testing method, it is within spec. It doesn’t really matter what it does on your wrist.

Thanks!

But its not on Rolexes website from what I can tell.

From my perspective, it means that once it leaves the factory, its qualified per their red seal 'normal use' standard.

What happens in transit, at the AD or Grey is where things change.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 04:47 AM   #30
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Thanks!

But its not on Rolexes website from what I can tell.

From my perspective, it means that once it leaves the factory, its qualified per their red seal 'normal use' standard.

What happens in transit, at the AD or Grey is where things change.

It is there. Click the ‘open detailed specifications’ towards the bottom of a watch description.