The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2011, 05:53 PM   #1
zahraleyla
"TRF" Member

Rolex watches with smaller/slimmer faces?

Hi,

I'm new here, and am seeking some information about the size of various Rolex models. I'm looking to buy my boyfriend a watch as an engagement present, and since he already owns two Omegas, I thought I'd venture into Rolex territory. Problem is, he has incredibly dainty wrists (he'd be furious if he knew that I just called him dainty!), and cannot pull off the big, chunky watches that seem to be so popular these days. I am considering a gold Cellini, but they seem to be very unpopular around here. Are there any other models that I should have a look at?
zahraleyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 08:41 PM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Rolex has a number of different size watches which would be considered for men all going anywhere from as small as 34mm to as large as 44mm. They have a number of models in between as well. If he doesn't prefer the Cellini line of watches Rolex has a number of sports watches that fit this bill as well.

Although someones wrist size can play a part in their decision, what kind of a wrist they have, and how the watch wears can be just as important. If at all possible I would take him to an AD and have him assist you with this choice. Because it is very possible he might have no issue with a larger watch, and in fact he may prefer one.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2011, 07:18 PM   #3
zahraleyla
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I know he doesn't want a big, sports type watch. He's tried some on before and hasn't liked the look of them. It's definitely a case of the smaller, the better with him. I shall have a look at one of the ADs in town and see if they have anything to my liking (and hopefully his).
Old 22 September 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Zahra - in case you are still listening - I have a small wrist (6 1/2") and find a well adjusted Submariner fits well and looks fine. I also have a Cellini because I think it is a beautiful dress watch for a smaller wrist. Mind you I prefer the older style Cellinis rather than the later models. Anyone not into 'sports watches' would surely love an AirKing or Explorer or Date Just which all suit smaller wrists. The key is to try on a few different models. Good Luck.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2011, 09:44 PM   #5
zahraleyla
"TRF" Member

Do you by chance have any pictures of those watches on your wrist? It would be great to get some perspective re: style.

And your Cellini - did you buy it in Australia or OS? In general, is it better to buy here or elsewhere?
Old 22 September 2011, 11:16 PM   #6
mtgmt
Banned

Watch: 16523 TT daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahraleyla View Post
Hi,

I'm new here, and am seeking some information about the size of various Rolex models. I'm looking to buy my boyfriend a watch as an engagement present, and since he already owns two Omegas, I thought I'd venture into Rolex territory. Problem is, he has incredibly dainty wrists (he'd be furious if he knew that I just called him dainty!), and cannot pull off the big, chunky watches that seem to be so popular these days. I am considering a gold Cellini, but they seem to be very unpopular around here. Are there any other models that I should have a look at?
maybe you could look at the womens midsize yacht master, could be a perfect match!
mtgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2011, 11:25 PM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Welcome! I would recommend an Explorer I or II. Fits very nicely on my small 6.5" wrist. It's also not as thick as the diving models. Otherwise a 36mm Datejust will absolutely work.

Um. Your avatar is a little distracting.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2011, 11:30 PM   #8
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Anyways, welcome to our family. I have very "dainty" wrists as well (between 6 to 6.5 inches) and I think I can pull off a 40mm watch as well. If he doesn't like a "sports" watch, maybe a DJ or a Milgauss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Um. Your avatar is a little distracting.
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2011, 11:40 PM   #9
Watchzombie
"TRF" Member

It would help if you could let us know which are the 2 omega models he has? If it is the sporty or dressy models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahraleyla View Post
Hi,

Watchzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2011, 11:43 PM   #10
SR/1
"TRF" Member

I have dainty wrists too and the Explorer II is a good fit on my wrist. That being said, I've worn the GMT IIc on several occasions and have never felt like it looked too big on my wrist either.
SR/1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 01:00 AM   #11
evilfij
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona Panda
Airking is 34mm
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 02:38 AM   #12
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
The blue dialed airking with 3,6,9 numbers looks great.
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 02:42 AM   #13
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Check out the Air King and Date models....34mm size
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 02:44 AM   #14
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
36mm Datejust, Explorer, Explorer II, GMT-II.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 03:03 AM   #15
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
36mm Datejust models would seem perfect,better all round buy than the Cellini IMO.
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 03:14 AM   #16
alexgold
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD
Depending on your budget, I would go with the mid size Day date or a 36mm datejust which would be a perfect all around watch , it's a classic
alexgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 03:29 AM   #17
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
31mm (midsize) DJ

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 12:02 PM   #18
zahraleyla
"TRF" Member

Wow, thanks for the huge response. I've made a list of all of the models/sizes that have been recommended so far, and plan to visit an AD this afternoon to see them in person. Will report back with my 'shortlist' for further commentary.

He already has an Omega DeVille (for formal occassions) and a Seamaster (I think - this is his everyday watch).

As for my avatar - we had a 'Pirate Day' at my workplace recently, and I went as a wench. Went down a treat!
Old 23 September 2011, 12:04 PM   #19
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Late to the party, but as mentioned above AirKing
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 12:11 PM   #20
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
If you really want to knock his socks off, look into a pre-owned single or double quickset Day/Date in whatever precious metal is his preference. Someone will already have taken the big depreciation on it so it will hold value fairly well and will be about the price in the middle of the new stainless lines.
Old 23 September 2011, 12:12 PM   #21
Deepsea Florida
"TRF" Member

GO Deepsea.

It stands out even more on a skinny wrist.
Deepsea Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 12:13 PM   #22
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsea Florida View Post
GO Deepsea.

It stands out even more on a skinny wrist.

(For the OP: that's the obnoxious sized monster in the Rolex sports line)
Old 23 September 2011, 12:56 PM   #23
hoops10
Banned

Hi congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Just wanted to add my two cents. I have a very small wrist, smaller than 6.5 inches, and I have a Date Just and a SS Daytona. They both fit fine. I believe the Date Just is about 36mm and the Daytona is 40mm. I now find myself wearing the Daytona more often because I have grown to prefer the larger size. Good luck and remember he is going to love whatever you decide to get him.
hoops10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 01:16 PM   #24
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I think anything in the Date Just 36mm size would be perfect for him. I am a sports model guy myself but as you said you dont think he is looking for this type, the DJ's would be perfect. I agree go over to the AD, see what they have and what you like for him but dont forget to check out the FS section here and some of the great sellers and save yourself a bunch of $$$
Old 23 September 2011, 01:44 PM   #25
Nalk7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270,5508,124060
The old Explorer (36mm) is in my opinion a really great choice. It has sporty, yet classic look and it has the same size as the date just which is a dress model, these two characteristics make the watch extremely versatile, and you can wear it in any situation. Also the classic look makes it easy to dress it down with a NATO style strap, or you can dress it up with a nice leather strap. I have small wrists too, and this is my watch of choice.

Good luck and congratulations on your wedding
Nalk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 02:13 PM   #26
Watchzombie
"TRF" Member

Since he owns an omega Seamaster. I would recommend you to get the Rolex sub c. But if he thinks is too big due to the thick lugs, go for the explorer I 39mm.
Watchzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 09:13 PM   #27
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

36mm datejust or airking for smaller wrist, fits like a glove
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 09:33 PM   #28
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

If he has Seamaster and it can be a everyday watch, I now know what you mean by big chunky watches and when you say he doesn't like "big sport watches".

To be honest, Rolex doesn't do chunky and big sports watches like some of the other brands (e.g. Tag, Breitling, Pam, etc). :)

I think all the 36mm, 39mm and 40mm models in the Rolex range should be fine!

Heck, I think you should check out the stainless steel GMT II ceramic or the Submariner Date Ceramic - two 40mm models which has a massive Rolex following.
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 10:41 PM   #29
zak98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
a nice classic airking is always a good choice.. great watch, movement and history.

have a great weekend!

Panerai PAM390
zak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2011, 10:57 PM   #30
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Rolex has a number of different size watches which would be considered for men all going anywhere from as small as 34mm to as large as 44mm. They have a number of models in between as well. If he doesn't prefer the Cellini line of watches Rolex has a number of sports watches that fit this bill as well.

Although someones wrist size can play a part in their decision, what kind of a wrist they have, and how the watch wears can be just as important. If at all possible I would take him to an AD and have him assist you with this choice. Because it is very possible he might have no issue with a larger watch, and in fact he may prefer one.
Dan (or anyone) -- What Rolex is a 44mm.? I musta missed something. easy for me to do!!
Tunacan26 is offline   Reply With Quote