The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2008, 08:01 AM   #31
Subdialler
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD & SD
Hi, whatever you do, aim high! Please don't go for 2nd or 3rd best, listen to your head, your heart and ignore what the wallet is currently saying, you will always recover from a little overspend, especially if you've got a little fire in your belly! I did TAG (Quartz) then Omega Seamaster Professional (Auto), knowing my heart rested with a classic Rolex. I'm now on my 4th Rollie and went GMT II, Submariner (date), SS Daytona (White face) and now the ultimate tool watch..... The Sea Dweller. Go Sub Date or SD, do not compromise!!!
Subdialler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 08:40 AM   #32
gha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DateJust
Hi....I have had a Tag for about 14 years now, that I don't really wear anymore, because it's not automatic, it's quartz, & the TT gold "plating" has worn off the bezel here & there, so it doesn't look that great. So, it's not even really in the same league as Omega & Rolex. I also have a SeaMaster, which I like alot, and received from my wife on a special b'day. Runs a bit slow, but haven't had it serviced yet (only 4 years old) so I'm sure that can be fixed. Super durable, have worn it fixing the cars, bodysurfing in various oceans, skiing, swimming, hot tubbing, etc., etc. It even works well while you are having a glass of wine or 2. The SeaMaster is just a great watch & great value.
Also have an older TT DateJust Rolex with a jubilee bracelet, kind of the original dress Rolex. Not quite as durable, with an acrylic crystal & "softer" gold content. Still looks like new & keeps great time.
My SS SubDate Rolex seems to be what I wear the most right now, keeps excellent time (maybe 2-3 seconds fast every 48 hrs), durable as a tank, and looks perfect.
Of course, it costs the most as well, so value for the $ Omega is great, as most have stated.
Funny thing is, each time I look at the SS SubDate, I notice something more, such as the perfect little time indicators, a small circle of white gold filled up with the lume material. And the stainless steel that the case is made from looks like chrome or something so hard, and polished so fine, that it looks like new all the time.
It just seems that every time I look at it, I appreciate the history, and the fine quality, that has gone into it more & more. Maybe it's just me, but it actually seems to "grow" on you.

Anyways, as others said, if you think that you want a Rolex, just do it, so that you don't end up with all of these others watches that it seems many of us have. You will save $ in the long run, have what you want forever, and not have to decide "what watch should I wear today"....Good Luck,....gha
gha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 09:04 AM   #33
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Welcome to TRF!

All three watches are very good choices in their own right. Probably, you get most watch for your money with the Omega SM, but you would take a big hit if you want to resell it later. Same thing applies to the Tag Heuer.

Click this link to go to a comparative test of the SS Sub Date and the Omega SM.

If you want a classic icon of diver's watches, go for the SS Sub Date. You get one of the best movements ever made, the Cal. 3135, most of the ingenious Rolex inventions incorporated in ONE watch, and also a watch that you can get your money back on if you want to resell it later if you just wait some years.

Good luck!
X2

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 09:04 AM   #34
hbbfam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP300
Sounds like a broken record (assuming you know what that expression means). I too owned Tags for years. Always quartz. Never, as they say, smiled at me. Then bought an SMP from Costco. Costco carries a lot of Tags and Omegas. While they are not ADs, they unconditionally guarantee their watches. I finally got an ExpII this past fall, and its just a different feeling. Maybe you have to go through the process like the rest of us.
hbbfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 09:37 AM   #35
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrolex View Post
.......Save and make the Rolex your first purchase, you'll end up saving $ in the long run and get to enjoy the Rolex longer and sooner.

The Rolex will be worth the $ spent.
Totally Agree!!
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 02:07 PM   #36
tkyong1
"TRF" Member

In fact, I am planning to buy in a pair for our 10th marriage anniversary, which is around the corner (7th March 2008). My aim is to buy something in pair for every 10th years.

The pricing of Rolex is the highest, i am pretty sure to burn a big hole in my pant.

I have checked price with few ADs in town, they are all quite firm with the price, especially the Sub. So, Air King is in my list as well due to budget constraint. The ADs are more willing to give better discount on the Air King due to less popularity.

The max discount from one of the very fine watch shop in town:
Sub : 8 - 10% max in pair.
Air King : 10 - 20% max in pair.

Of course, I can buy 2 Omega with the price of 1 Rolex, this is the problem. So hard decision here.....

What you guy in mind??
tkyong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 02:49 PM   #37
lildragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Submariner
Go with a ROLEX--you can't go wrong. It seems like a lot of money at first, but its worth the $$. You will only know once you are an owner. Good luck and whatever you decide--wear it proud!
lildragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 04:03 PM   #38
kensei

Go with the Sub. Like you at one time I looked at a TAG, Omega, & Rolex. I bought a SST & 18K TAG Chronometer instead & at that time the same price as the Rolex Sub.

Years later I ended buying a Sub anyway. My TAG did not hold value by the way.

Sub all the way
kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 04:20 PM   #39
feudallordcult
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
I Started with Tag then to Omega and now Rolex

IMHO

Save and make the Rolex your first purchase, you'll end up saving $ in the long run and get to enjoy the Rolex longer and sooner.

The Rolex will be worth the $ spent.
same here. i started with tag orange chrono in april 07, flipped it under 3months at a loss of S$400, then moved on to SMP 2531.8000 in nov 07 at a loss of S$100, flipped it under a month then got a SD in jan 08 and been wearing it since! No way in blue hell I'm gonna sell this baby!

If I could turn back time, the SD would have been my choice right from the beginning.

start with the best, nothing comes close to a rollie.
feudallordcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 04:38 PM   #40
Orchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKYong1
In fact, I am planning to buy in a pair for our 10th marriage anniversary, which is around the corner (7th March 2008). My aim is to buy something in pair for every 10th years.

The pricing of Rolex is the highest, i am pretty sure to burn a big hole in my pant.

I have checked price with few ADs in town, they are all quite firm with the price, especially the Sub. So, Air King is in my list as well due to budget constraint. The ADs are more willing to give better discount on the Air King due to less popularity.

The max discount from one of the very fine watch shop in town:
Sub : 8 - 10% max in pair.
Air King : 10 - 20% max in pair.

Of course, I can buy 2 Omega with the price of 1 Rolex, this is the problem. So hard decision here....
Err buddy TKYong1...for all your intent n purposes..your wifey would appreciate you more...when she realizes that you have sought the advises from a worldwide famous Rolex forum n elsewhere diligently...before making your wise decisions to buy your 1st ever Rolex...which would be the obvious choice as far as most folks in the forum are concerned...also.

Please remember this too...getting a Rolex may NOT or NEVER make you burn a hole in your pants...err...but instead getting another brand which you may have in mind...might get you to burn a few holes in your pants...for sure.

Ahem...how much would you think your present NON-Rolex watches that you have in possession are worth...these days?

Happy Anniversary to you BOTH...
Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 06:03 PM   #41
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Omega !
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 06:45 PM   #42
time
"TRF" Member

SUB of cause! Omega and Tag have not in-house movement!
Old 20 February 2008, 08:29 PM   #43
ErikAalto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Buy what you can afford.

The bulk of people here will suggest Rolex, because, well - it is a ROLEX forum.

I sure as hell could not have afforded a Rolex when I first purchased a "nice" watch. I do not regret buying my Aquaracer - I love this watch and will cherish it for a very long time. I still want a Sea Dweller, but I am not going to sell my Aquaracer nor my Datejust to help pay for it.

I look at purchasing watches the same way I look at purchasing automobiles. Don't buy something with the intention of selling it in a few years to get the next new thing. Drive that bitch into the ground!

People have said that Tag's "bang for the buck" is horrible - but I feel like this is from a reseller's point of view. In terms of keeping accurate time - it is not as if Rolex is above and beyond greater than Tag. My Tag is +2 seconds after a week - and I can regulate that using varying resting positions. Sure it won't hold it's value like a Rolex - demand isn't as high.

In the end - I say go with what your heart desires, and your wallet can afford. If you can't go for the Rolex - compromise - you'll be happy in the interim with what you have - and you can always buy the Rolex later on.

Just don't buy the TT Aquaracer - it is hideous.

Here's mine : (and my Datejust)
ErikAalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 10:40 PM   #44
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Three options come to mind:
1. Search this forum and others for preowned Rolex. You can save money this way. (Be careful though, stay away from Ebay)
2. You mentioned Air King. I would look at Explorer I for a few dollars more. Classic Rolex tool watch. I think MSRP on standard Air King is around $3800.00 and the Explorer I is $4250.00. Plus I think AD's are willing to discount a little more on the Expy than the Sub or S/D.
3. Omega S/M. As mentioned, considerably less MSRP with AD's more willing to negotiate price.

BTW, in my search for a S/M I cannot find more than 20% discount. Could someone let me know where I can find one at 30% or more discount? Specifically 2255.80.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2008, 04:06 PM   #45
tkyong1
"TRF" Member

I visited both Omega & Rolex AD again just now to have a second look and feel the watches, here are my opinion after 2 times visits to the AD:

Rolex Air King
Look like a boy watch to me due to size (34mm)& design. I found it is very hard to justify the price against the watch. I did not like it.

Rolex Submariner No Date
It is a very beautiful watch, a real Rolex compared to the Air King. But the build quality and functions are not far from Omega Planet Ocean & Seamaster. Again, the price vs quality issue could not justify. If i buy the Rolex, I in fact is paying for the brand itself but definately not the watch.

Omega Seamaster & Planet Ocean
The build quality and funtionality are very close to the Rolex Sub, selling at much cheaper price. Both are very value for money watches.

The situation made a round about turn during my second visits to the AD of Rolex & Omega. The later seems a more rational buy to me. I have very high hope on the Rolex, but was a little dissapointed when I hold it in my hand & wrist. I am really confused. Is all these the excellent marketing strategy, i believe it is.

Tag Heuer Aquaracer
Even though not in the same league with Rolex & Omega. This range to me is beautifully made and very value for my $$$. I am now considering Omega & Tag.

No offence here, just me own opinion.
tkyong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2008, 04:41 PM   #46
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Once again, I think Tag is far behind Rolex & Omega in quality of craftmanship and movement. Price diff between Omega and Tag is negligible.

If you're choosing between Tag and Omega, choice is obvious: Omega.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2008, 04:48 PM   #47
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Omega is a great start, super reliable and great quality. You can get a great deal on these.
Old 21 February 2008, 04:49 PM   #48
fear
"TRF" Member

"Rolex Air King ... I did not like it."

Yeah, it's a small watch.

Rolex Submariner No Date...But the build quality and functions are not far from Omega Planet Ocean & Seamaster.

Sure. Some even say that the build quality is superior, i.e., better bracelet, heavier.

Again, the price vs quality issue could not justify. If i buy the Rolex, I in fact is paying for the brand itself but definately not the watch.

Suit yourself. You pay more but the Rolex will retain it's value over time.

Omega Seamaster & Planet Ocean...selling at much cheaper price. Both are very value for money watches.

True. These watches have better discounts than Rolex too, but long term they probably will not retain their value over time.

The later seems a more rational buy to me.

Yup. People do rationalize why they purchase a PO rather than a Sub/SD. You can do that.

I have very high hope on the Rolex, but was a little dissapointed when I hold it in my hand & wrist.

One thing the PO and newer Seamaster does not have is a a history. No matter how many times the experts at TRF tell you how superior the Sub is, what you feel subjectivly will guide you. Cheap feel, must be junk. Solid heft, must be superior. But history shows the Sub and SD trumps the Seamaster and PO.

I am really confused. Is all these the excellent marketing strategy, i believe it is.

Just like Daniel Craig's super-duper Omega Planet Ocean!

I am now considering Omega & Tag.

Sound like you're set. Now you can rationalize why you got that TAG or PO and not the Sub.
fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2008, 07:11 PM   #49
kwb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bertolucci
Quote:
Originally Posted by time View Post
It was my understanding that Omega makes their own movements...
kwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:26 AM   #50
msf
"TRF" Member

Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by time View Post
Not trying to throw any rocks here, but why does an inhouse movement really make that much of a difference? The ETA 2892/Omega 1120 seems to have just as many web documented reasons it's superior as the Rolex 3135. Both are COSC - which to me at least really doesn't mean all that much, because as with the Common Criteria, as it's such a narrowly defined test. And we can all agree their are many non-COSC watches that are as accurate, if not moreso, than their COSC brethren.

For the record, I like my sub more than my smp.
msf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:32 AM   #51
Jazz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Submariner every time, IMHO.

Rolex OP 116300 Datejust II - Random
Rolex OP 116610LN Sub C - V series
Rolex OP 116200 SS DateJust Z series - lost/stolen
Rolex OP 16613 TT 'Bluesy' M series
Rolex OP 16600 SS Sea-Dweller M series
Rolex OP 116523 TT Cosmograph Daytona Z series
Rolex OP 16610 SS Submariner Date Z series - lost/stolen
Santos de Cartier TT 2004 silver dial (Limited Edition)
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:40 AM   #52
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Value for money and quality seem to be your priority here, so why not buy a Seiko Marinemaster?

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:42 AM   #53
skyline
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I Started with Tag then to Omega and now Rolex
That's exactly how I progressed as well.

Tag 6000 > Omega SM > Rolex SS 16610 >???
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:45 AM   #54
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Three of 'em is good watches!!!
But me...I choose Submaniner of couse!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:50 AM   #55
RossInIllinois
Banned

Watch: GMT 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkyong1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am newbie to luxury watch.
To me, the 3 mentioned watches looks a like, the outlook, function are almost the same. The only major differences i can find is the price, ranging from US$1500 - 4000. And of course the branding.

I am seriously thinking to get one for myself. It is hard to choice among the 3.

For value for money: i guess Tag is the 1st choice.
For branding value: Rolex Subis a must but the price paid is hard to justify.

Dudes, need your advice.......
Here is the thing. A Rolex is like wearing money in the bank on your wrist. Kept well it will always hold its value. The others you mention im not so sure about.
RossInIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 01:57 AM   #56
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
A Rolex Sub could be the last watch you ever need to buy. You will never have to save up and/or trade-in to get the King. The other two are fine watches but they aren't Rolexes and you will likely always have the desire to own one in the back of your mind. Get it now, it and avoid the "buyer's remorse". It is actually cheaper to buy the one you want now instead of going back and forth over the next 10 years waiting for "the one".
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 5 June 2008, 03:26 AM   #57
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

I have all three

Oddly enough my deepest dive was a 6 ft snorkel in St. Lucia...

But yes I bought the Tag Aquaracer TT white dial...then the Rolex SS submariner...then the OMega SMP ....

Tag has been on my wrist once in the past year...worn mostly because I felt sorry for it one day so I took it out for some air.

The SMP and Sub are very competetive for wrist time...but I would say go with the submariner..it's 2mm smaller than the SMP in diameter but has twice the wrist presence.

If you get the tag, I think you will feel unfufilled....and the thousands of dollars you saved will turn into the thousand you wasted....
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 04:21 AM   #58
txrob779

I am getting ready to REBUY a 45mm PO Omega. I miss the one I sold last year.
txrob779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 04:23 AM   #59
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by fear View Post
You do the research. You buy the TAG and not satisfied so you sell at a loss and buy the Omega. Still not satisfied! So you sell the Seamaster at a loss. You realize that the Rolex's the one you wanted all along. You'll be kicking yourself for not getting it before the price increase!

Do youself a favor. Get the Submariner!

So true - I skipped the Tag and bought a SM, which I really like - different feel on my rist than the TT Sub I just bought. I am glad I went in that order as I don't know if I would have bought the SM after the Sub. I like and wear both.

On antoher note, if you sell your watches to updgrade - save for the Sub first...
Bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 10:14 AM   #60
GuyS
"TRF" Member

I had a TAG about 10 years ago, nice for the money. My wife has a blue face Seamaster Omega, its awesome. A bargain for the money and I would love to get one myself.

I have three Rolexes, two DJ's and a 5503 Sub ND To sum up all the points made here, I never look at a Rolex as "money spent". Its just savings in a different form, buy right and buy smart and you are virtually guaranteed your intial investment back. It sounds like I am rationalizing, but its always been true to me.

Example, I paid 1800 for my Sub back about 5 years ago when the 5503 was soft. I could get double that now, so my intial investment is safe plus I have enjoyed the heck out of the watch. Even my DJ, purchased new in 2002 for 2800 from an AD is still close to the money.

Again, buy what you like but if price is a factor, consider the comments (like the one above). Its all relative....
GuyS is offline   Reply With Quote