The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 June 2018, 02:14 AM   #1
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

A mini-review of the Helson Sharkmaster 300.

I’ve been looking at Helson for a while, never actually pulling the trigger.

I have to admit that the country of origin factor was biasing my decision. Frankly I’m happy to say I was wrong.

The Shark Diver has been all this time in my radar, but they have a reputation to wear big for the size. I read that a new
38mm version was available had to have a look….but when I saw the Sharkmaster 300 I was seriously intrigued. Enough to give it a try.

It is an unashamed homage to the vintage Seamaster 300 of the 60s. And I’m fine with that (YMMV), specially considering that the Helson is more like a re-interpretation with modern details: the sapphire domed crystal, with inner blue AR provides the vintage looks with modern practicality. And so does the lumed saphire bezel insert. The whole thing looks quality.

This is not the first time Helson homages vintage Seamasters: they have done the 600 Ploprof and 1000 before, always to some outstanding detail.

What surprised me a lot about the SM300 is the quality of the case machining. The precision and crispness of the case lines is excellent. Well above what I would have expected at this price range. Once again, it is not a 1:1 copy of the Seamaster case. It’s well within the design parameters to be immediately recognisable, but retains a hint of the blockiness of the Helson DNA.

Dial and hands are very well finished and the lume is superb, as expected.

Inside ticks a standard grade Swiss ETA 2824-2, with Incabloc shock protection and an unbranded, decorated rotor. It came well regulated. After a couple of weeks settling, it’s running -3 spd.

Unlike other micros I’ve seen (that claim to be Swiss made), the movement is correctly mounted with a steel spacer, screws and tabs. The crown has a flat gasket inside, and there are three o-rings in the tube: two inside as primary seal, and one outside to protect the threads. It feels precise and solid when screwing and un-screwing.

The bracelet is also a modern, more robust interpretation of the 1171. It has the looks, with removable links secured by screws. The end links are hollow, but the tolerances are very tight and it all fits well without any significant rattle. All the lines are sharp and the brushing is very good.
The clasp is the push-button, ratcheting type. A rubber Tropic strap, with a signed buckle, is also included, along an extra set of shoulderless spring bars and the pin tool to fit the lug holes.

It also looks great on a shark mesh, it really suits this design !

Summarising, it is NOT Swiss made. It does not pretend to be Swiss made. It’s just a very solid, good quality piece in it’s own right. Excellent value and an excellent homage to a classic. I’m very happy with this watch.

(So happy that I bought the Shark Diver 38 too…)

Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 05:53 PM   #2
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Sorry, double post.
Old 19 June 2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

A few under the hood pictures (excuse the harsh lighting that makes any smudge look as an imperfection)...

One other thing I like from this brand is the honesty.

The web site is very spartan. But good enough to see what you’ll get, and the specs are succinct and accurate. Bottom line, when the watch arrives you get the impression that you got more than you were expecting.

No pre-ordering or waiting times either. If it is in the website you can buy it. And in a few days you have your watch in your hands.
Old 26 July 2018, 01:22 AM   #4
samdecruze
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing this review,
Actually, i am a co-founder of the fashion updates and after reading this review i have decided to add this watch in my top watches list.
samdecruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 07:42 PM   #5
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

I think an update is in order.

First of all, let me say that I still stand behind everything I commented on the original review. I still have the watch and I'm still happy with it. My opinion on this watch has not changed.

At the time I got the Sharkmaster I also bought the SharkDiver 38mm in Titanium. And, while in a different style, it was an equally well made piece. I let it go because I found it a tad too small and the grey color was too dark for my taste.

But since these on-line reviews are the opinion resources that other people find while (re)searching brands and models for a future purchase, I feel that it is necessary to add some additional information about the brand and my experience with other models.

In October 2018 Helson re-issued their homage to the PloProf, the Sharkmaster 600. It was a highly successful re-introduction because it is a very faithful rendition of the original one.

I strongly considered one, but didn't buy. Fortunately, because it was a bit of a disaster. You will find the issues well documented in WUS/Dive Watches and the german Uhrforum.

Knowing all this, I still bought a SharkDiver in 40mm from them. I though that a traditional design in terms of gaskets and seals (like the SM300 has) was going to be safe to buy.

And I was disappointed. The finish quality of the head and the bracelet were not in the same level of the SM300, and it failed a 6bar WR test out of the box. So I sent it back for refund. This was not a problem, but I had to swallow 110euros of custom's fees: the cost of my lesson.

In sum, I still think the SM300 I got last Summer is a nicely finished and well built watch. But I am no longer sure the company has a decent QC or consistent quality products anymore.

In my previous post I said: "One other thing I like from this brand is the honesty." I may have been a bit naive....

Personally, I would not buy again from them; not worth the risk.