The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2017, 03:32 PM   #31
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
my hometown is def like that...

I do enjoy South Florida however, walk in anywhere with flip flops shorts and tee, and they all know whats up lol... biggest buyers wear flip flops hahah
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 05:17 PM   #32
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Just flash the Hamilton tix; those are harder to get than either of our Pateks these days.

Karl - we get it, you're ridiculously good looking and smell amazing. Rub it in.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Don't tell everyone!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 07:14 PM   #33
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Tiffany's is where I would buy my college girlfriends $100 bracelets that they'd go gaga for.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 12:08 PM   #34
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Salespeople are human just like all of us. Many of them judge people based on their own personal experience. I wouldn't judge an AD based on an isolated experience with one salesperson. However in reality we also form impressions and judge salespeople based on our own experience.

The fact is there are many ADs to choose from for most of us and there are many more potential clients for the sales associate than an unhappy person who walked out the door.

I am not in sales and do not always like how salespeople act. But at the end of the day, it is a job for them and they are trying to make enough money to put food on the table for their family. It is quite a different perspective from many of us who spend $30K to $100K+ on a Patek watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 12:26 PM   #35
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Salespeople are human just like all of us. Many of them judge people based on their own personal experience.
Well as you can tell from this thread judging potential clients based on any experience is not a very bright thing to do. Especially for someone that is a commissioned sales person. If they really can tell whether a person will buy or not before asking them questions and speaking with them then they are a psychic and should become a professional gambler rather than a commissioned sales person. IMHO

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 12:43 PM   #36
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

I think we're just asking to be treated with respect and courtesy. I'm heavily tattooed and hate the idea that my value is determined not by my manner but by what's on my wrist. If a salesperson is just sitting there and I walk in, they should say hello and be polite. It's not like these places are ever busy and they need to triage.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 12:55 PM   #37
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

I am not in sales and do not always like how salespeople act. But at the end of the day, it is a job for them and they are trying to make enough money to put food on the table for their family.

All the more reason for them to not act like complete ass clowns towards prospective customers.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 12:58 PM   #38
texex91
"TRF" Member

I've been in sales my entire life--individual, running global sales teams and running my own companies.

The basic sales methodologies (Miller Heiman, etc) are all about asking questions and QUALIFYING a buyer. Now, does any of that have to do with tattoos, no and I don't support judging people. I wear flip flops and shorts 95% of the time (in warm weather) in Austin and don't give a rats ass about what people think. But that's the difference, I don't expect good service, as it's not out there as a whole. When I do run into good service, I certainly appreciate it.

NOW, in retail, it's probably the worst job from a sales perspective. You have to be nice, as it's a transactional sale, but you also have to sell in order to get paid. I have no clue what methodologies retail people use, as I've never been in retail sales. I would imagine that they have to do their best to try and close a sale and move on to the next quickly.

The lookers and non-buyers are what they want to probably avoid. I think there is a distinction between those who CAN buy and actually those that DO really buy at AD's. We all feel like we know more than most retail AD salespeople I'm sure--and we might. However, one does have to look at it from their end as well.

Rolling up ones sleeve to expose a watch is silly in my book. That is almost as bad as one complaining they are pompous and in return rolling up a sleeve as though they deserve special treatment for the watch they are wearing.

Net/net it doesn't matter high end cars or ANY retail environment, it's rare to find good salespeople. Does it make it right--no. But rest assured, 90% of say Ferrari dealers I've talked to are even worse than what I'd would expect. Do people still buy a boat load of cars--yes.

Am I surprised by this at PP--no.

Are they going to still sell every 5711 and whatever they can irrespective of their attitude--yes.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 01:13 PM   #39
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
90% of say Ferrari dealers I've talked to are even worse than what I'd would expect. Do people still buy a boat load of cars--yes.

I just bought a Ferrari 488 GTB. Talk about ass clown sales guy! Horrible customer service.
Old 14 January 2017, 01:15 PM   #40
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
I just bought a Ferrari 488 GTB. Talk about ass clown sales guy! Horrible customer service.
Absolutely agree--that's my point
Old 14 January 2017, 01:17 PM   #41
Socal to az
Banned

I get your point but I ended up buying from someone else, not the Ferrari dealership. Same with Pateks. If I get a douche, I'll buy from someone else.
Old 14 January 2017, 01:18 PM   #42
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get your point but I ended up buying from someone else, not the Ferrari dealership. Same with Pateks. If I get a douche, I'll buy from someone else.
Agree. Good salespeople and bad salespeople in EVERY business. Buy from those you like. Simple.

PS - We all want to see that beauty 488...one day I will succumb to the turbo vs NA.
Old 14 January 2017, 01:23 PM   #43
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
I've been in sales my entire life--individual, running global sales teams and running my own companies.

The basic sales methodologies (Miller Heiman, etc) are all about asking questions and QUALIFYING a buyer. Now, does any of that have to do with tattoos, no and I don't support judging people. I wear flip flops and shorts 95% of the time (in warm weather) in Austin and don't give a rats ass about what people think. But that's the difference, I don't expect good service, as it's not out there as a whole. When I do run into good service, I certainly appreciate it.

NOW, in retail, it's probably the worst job from a sales perspective. You have to be nice, as it's a transactional sale, but you also have to sell in order to get paid. I have no clue what methodologies retail people use, as I've never been in retail sales. I would imagine that they have to do their best to try and close a sale and move on to the next quickly.

The lookers and non-buyers is what they want to probably avoid. I think there is a distinction between those who CAN buy and actually those that DO really buy at AD's. We all feel like we know more than most retail AD salespeople I'm sure--and we might. However, one does have to look at it from their end as well.

Rolling up ones sleeve to expose a watch is silly in my book. That is almost as bad as one complaining they are pompous and in return rolling up a sleeve as though they deserve special treatment for the watch they are wearing.

Net/net it doesn't matter high end cars or ANY retail environment, it's rare to find good salespeople. Does it make it right--no. But rest assured, 90% of say Ferrari dealers I've talked to are even worse than what I'd would expect. Do people still buy a boat load of cars--yes.

I suppose he rolled up his sleeve to show the rude sales person that he is a player. It shouldn't be necessary but that's probably why he did it. I imagine the same goes if you drive up to a Ferrari dealership in a Lamborghini or a Ferrari you're more than likely going to get more attention and professional service then I would driving up in my Honda accord. Wouldn't it be funny if I had just won the lottery or inherited millions of dollars and was on my way to buy my first Ferrari and the first sales person I ran into at the dealership treated me like this Patek salesman treated our TRF friend. Remember the scene from Pretty Woman?

Anyway no ones forcing them to be retail sales people and there are quite a few people that sell watches retail that make six figures with a 2 or a 3 at the beginning of it. I suspect the majority of those rockstar retail sales people spend less time judging and more time enthusiastically engaging by asking questions and handling objections. In other words helping the customer make a decision. Closing. I also would be willing to bet that a large chunk of luxury timepiece purchasers wear flip-flops, shorts and a T-shirt and many have tattoos. Think of all the sales being missed by a sales person that treats those people rudely. It's criminal. Well, if I owned the company I would feel that it's criminal. In retail usually a lot of money is spent just trying to get prospects into your store to begin with. All that and your sales person blows it before an attempted sale is even made? Criminal! YMMV

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 01:23 PM   #44
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:

The lookers and non-buyers is what they want to probably avoid. I think there is a distinction between those who CAN buy and actually those that DO really buy at AD's. We all feel like we know more than most retail AD salespeople I'm sure--and we might. However, one does have to look at it from their end as well.

Are they going to still sell every 5711 and whatever they can irrespective of their attitude--yes.
Paul, I agree with most of your statement. The point of rolling up my sleeves in this situation was to combat his aholeness and treating me like you know what. Hey I'm wearing your 5 year wait dude!:) Sometimes and especially when you live in NYC , when you live with attitude all the time ,to survive you need to show some attitude back. No matter how trivial. Catharsis is necessary.
I'm a management consultant and believe me , I understand the importance of interpersonal relationships . Whether it's in my professional or personal life I truly try hard to behave and show restraint and acceptance.
If you want to sell exclusivity there are better ways to do it. Showing an ass backward attitude is not the way.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 01:26 PM   #45
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
Paul, I agree with most of your statement. The point of rolling up my sleeves in this situation was to combat his aholeness and treating me like you know what. Hey I'm wearing your 5 year wait dude!:) Sometimes and especially when you live in NYC , when you live with attitude all the time ,to survive you need to show some attitude back. No matter how trivial. Catharsis is necessary.
I'm a management consultant and believe me , I understand the importance of interpersonal relationships . Whether it's in my professional or personal life I truly try hard to behave and show restraint and acceptance.
If you want to sell exclusivity there are better ways to do it. Showing an ass backward attitude is not the way.
I will say NYC is probably a different beast no doubt.

I think if I dressed in NYC like I do in Austin, people would think I'm a bum.

Good news I don't give a sheet. However, I can imagine it's more about the attitude and show in NYC...got it.
Old 14 January 2017, 01:31 PM   #46
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:

PS - We all want to see that beauty 488...one day I will succumb to the turbo vs NA.

What?? Pass up the chance to share my new ride?? Well since you are twisting my arm! :)

I'm taking the tint off. Where I bought it from, they tinted the windows and windshield. I can't even see out the damn thing. Also putting a few small modifications on there.

Love love love the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2017, 01:32 PM   #47
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Been there, not great service but not as bad as you had it.

I might put up with to get a Tiffany Dial PP...
Old 14 January 2017, 01:33 PM   #48
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What?? Pass up the chance to share my new ride?? Well since you are twisting my arm! :)

I'm taking the tint off. Where I bought it from, they tinted the windows and windshield. I can't even see out the damn thing. Also putting a few small modifications on there.

Love love love the car!

Interesting rims. Enjoy it--drove one the other week and it's fast indeed. Still on fence on the turbo program, but it's the future.

Enjoy the new ride
Old 14 January 2017, 01:36 PM   #49
Socal to az
Banned

Interesting - translation, I hate them. Lol
Old 14 January 2017, 01:39 PM   #50
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting - translation, I hate them. Lol
Well not for me for sure...but actually, I do find them interesting as I've never seen any like them
Old 14 January 2017, 01:39 PM   #51
toucan
"TRF" Member

Great car!!!!!! I'm picking up my a lot less exotic car this weekend in Virginia.
Enjoy NYC! I would offer you a tour- but I'm sure you've been here many times.
Also, I wear a t-shirt and chacos everyday in the summer. Best to be comfortable!
Old 14 January 2017, 01:40 PM   #52
Socal to az
Banned

Rims stay. Tint comes off. Carbon fiber trim on the side being added and roof gets wrapped black. :)
Old 14 January 2017, 01:41 PM   #53
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
Great car!!!!!! I'm picking up my a lot less exotic car this weekend in Virginia.
Enjoy NYC! I would offer you a tour- but I'm sure you've been here many times.
Also, I wear a t-shirt and chacos everyday in the summer. Best to be comfortable!
Congrats. Actually don't head to NYC all that often. Girls have Hamilton tickets so family trip from scottsdale to NYC for the weekend.
Old 14 January 2017, 01:49 PM   #54
toucan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats. Actually don't head to NYC all that often. Girls have Hamilton tickets so family trip from scottsdale to NYC for the weekend.
If you missed , I replied in your earlier post on this thread about a great watch tour. Every boutique on Madison between like 53rd -65th st. Don't forget Wempe and Wempe Rolex on on fifth and AP on 57th. I actually never realized all the new boutiques until a few weeks ago. You kind of dont look when you live here. Bergdorf men's is having a great sale also. Picked over but a great store!
Old 14 January 2017, 01:53 PM   #55
Socal to az
Banned

Thanks man. Will try to check them out. All depends on how tolerant the daughters and wife are with visiting boutiques. Appreciate the heads up.
Old 14 January 2017, 02:35 PM   #56
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
I think we're just asking to be treated with respect and courtesy. I'm heavily tattooed and hate the idea that my value is determined not by my manner but by what's on my wrist. If a salesperson is just sitting there and I walk in, they should say hello and be polite. It's not like these places are ever busy and they need to triage.
They didn't put up their hands up and shout "please don't hurt me"???
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 02:36 PM   #57
j777
"TRF" Member

Socal to az... Enjoy that beautiful car!
j777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 03:01 PM   #58
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Love love love the car!

My Fcar says hello

scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 03:05 PM   #59
Socal to az
Banned

Nice!
Old 14 January 2017, 03:10 PM   #60
Dolor Doc
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
Was at the NYC PP boutique 6 months ago and had the exact same experience.

I was looking for 10 minutes without the sales person acknowledging me. Then my wife arrived with our favorite Tiffany salesperson, who introduced me to the PP salesman. Got the 5 year 5711 speech and was shown one watch through the case.

Got the hint he wasn't interested in my business, so left without seeing anything else. Skipping over the mezzanine level from now on.

Dolor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote