The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 May 2024, 03:30 PM   #1
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASA View Post
Thank you so much for your insight, so a bit of background, I would like to get a AP as my first time piece as opposed to the standard Rolex, PP etc. but I want a dressier item rather than a Chucky metal strap. Hence why I settled on the code. In terms of value rentention this is a large consideration I wouldn’t want to spend 20K on something which will be half the price in less than half the price in 20years. I’m happy to get a used one as long as it has its box and papers.
Saw your post in GS sub forum as well asking about discounts. My feel is that you are still not very firm about getting an AP as your 1st piece. And more importantly, you might not be very prepared to enter the luxury watch market yet. Luxury timepieces are not a necessity nor an investment. Treat what you paid for as sunken cost, just like any enjoyable holiday you take. Any amount you can recover, should you sell, is a bonus. Take your time to explore which brand you really love enough to lose money on and probably you'll be more happy with your purchase.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 12:53 AM   #2
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
Saw your post in GS sub forum as well asking about discounts. My feel is that you are still not very firm about getting an AP as your 1st piece. And more importantly, you might not be very prepared to enter the luxury watch market yet. Luxury timepieces are not a necessity nor an investment. Treat what you paid for as sunken cost, just like any enjoyable holiday you take. Any amount you can recover, should you sell, is a bonus. Take your time to explore which brand you really love enough to lose money on and probably you'll be more happy with your purchase.
he's only ever posted in this thread, think you have him confused with someone else lol. but i agree with other posters saying get a RO/ROC instead
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 12:55 AM   #3
BASA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
Hi not sure it’s me you are talking about! I’m haven’t posted in any other thread and certainly not asked about discounts, although my next question was regarding reputable online used dealers. One of my motivations other than to enjoy the watches while I can was to leave something for children.
Thanks
BASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 12:33 PM   #4
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
he's only ever posted in this thread, think you have him confused with someone else lol. but i agree with other posters saying get a RO/ROC instead
My bad. Both their user names are too close. Lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASA View Post
Hi not sure it’s me you are talking about! I’m haven’t posted in any other thread and certainly not asked about discounts, although my next question was regarding reputable online used dealers. One of my motivations other than to enjoy the watches while I can was to leave something for children.
Thanks
Yes, my bad for mixing up 2 different members with almost similar user names. But my point still stays. Leaving your timepiece as a legacy is leaving momento, a memory of you. Value retention should not be a big consideration. My dad left me a pen he used to carry around. Totally worthless in dollars and cents but super valuable to me as it's sentimental. Buy a watch that you really love and enjoy. That's makes a real sentimental hand down when the time comes.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote