The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2024, 04:29 PM   #91
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach69SS View Post
I would never treat a customer that way in my business.
So if you were an AD, and you had 10 Daytonas and 200-300 people that requested them, how would you allocate them?
Keep in mind this is how you put groceries on the table.
You know that almost everyone that walks in that wants a watch isn’t getting one…
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:38 PM   #92
James84
"TRF" Member

The games are never going to stop. Rolex & AD’s must lie about stock, how grey market pricing on super popular models is leveraged to push softer slow selling models. Rolex has the most sophisticated lawyers, analytics, and so much more to help develop the business model in each country. AD’s are at their mercy, but also taking some risks and equally greedy in isolated incidents and transactions.

The bottom line is “THE BOTTOM LINE MATTERS MOST” to Rolex and AD’s. Unpopular models must be sold somehow.
James84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:51 PM   #93
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
So if you were an AD, and you had 10 Daytonas and 200-300 people that requested them, how would you allocate them?
Keep in mind this is how you put groceries on the table.
You know that almost everyone that walks in that wants a watch isn’t getting one…
Filter the list of people who are secondhand dealers or flippers would be a start.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 05:18 PM   #94
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Filter the list of people who are secondhand dealers or flippers would be a start.

Even if you do that, you’ll almost certainly have at least ten potential buyers for every watch.
Old 30 April 2024, 05:24 PM   #95
Daveh777
"TRF" Member

Interesting thread that we all struggle to get our heads around.
What intrigues me in particular is why we don’t see more Rolexes being worn given the numbers sold per annum across all ADs? What is the frequency histogram for Rolex owners and number of Rolex watches?
Surely most new Rolex watches are now being sold to owners with a multiple number of Rolexes, n > 4 for example (and that ain’t me btw).
Daveh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 01:07 AM   #96
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

I know things have changed, but I remember when you purchased what you wanted.

If I had 10 Daytona’s to sell , I would not contact a client and offer them a watch and once accepted, then tell them that you are not selling them the watch? Because they haven’t purchased other brands you sell. I was not offered a Daytona or a high demand model or even a full stainless model.
Not good business in my opinion. I would take care of customers who have continued to show interest and followed up and also previous customers and some new customers.

I understand that we all have to eat and business is business.

The games are unnecessary be upfront with your clients and they can decide if they want do business with you. This is only feeding the grey market which they are trying to control.
A customer making this type of purchase is not gonna deal with these type of games.

Just my $0.02
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 01:24 AM   #97
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsean View Post
I did a rough calculations as follows:

1. Typical AD gets 50 watches per month.
2. About 1/3 are sports models in Sub, GMT, Daytona, AK, Explorers, YM, SD
3. Out of ~17 sports models, ~5 are TT and gold.
4. That leaves about 12 steel sports watches. Maybe ~5 Subs and 1 or less for other models.
You based this on what?
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 01:30 AM   #98
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrailTime View Post
You based this on what?
Back of a fag packet probably......
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 02:01 AM   #99
SAP7
"TRF" Member

Far too many naïve, entitled, delusional, and clueless people here.
Also, too much opinion presented as fact, and just plain rubbish posted as truth.

If you don’t like it don’t get involved. What’s fair isn’t what life tends to be about.

It’s got to stop? Whatever. Find a knitting forum if you want simplicity and an easy life. Capitalism and global markets aren’t geared to make your life fair and treat you all the same.

Money talks. Most of the posts in this thread are speculation and hope.
SAP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 02:35 AM   #100
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

People say they want “honesty and transparency”

But if an SA says “the demand for these watches is extremely high. We will not be able to sell one to you,” people still come here to complain that that is also bad service.
Old 1 May 2024, 03:07 AM   #101
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAP7 View Post
Far too many naïve, entitled, delusional, and clueless people here.
Also, too much opinion presented as fact, and just plain rubbish posted as truth.

If you don’t like it don’t get involved. What’s fair isn’t what life tends to be about.

It’s got to stop? Whatever. Find a knitting forum if you want simplicity and an easy life. Capitalism and global markets aren’t geared to make your life fair and treat you all the same.

Money talks. Most of the posts in this thread are speculation and hope.

Speculation and hope is all we have though…

It seems like what you’re saying is, is if people have a problem with the current situation, don’t complain, just find a new hobby or watch brand. Which I agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 03:47 AM   #102
SAP7
"TRF" Member

If you had ten watches and fifty customers, would you be fair?

No. You’d maximise return. In this case, as you can’t inflate price, it’s done by selling sweeteners.

If you don’t like that then move on. Complaining is futile.
SAP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 12:53 PM   #103
James84
"TRF" Member

Rolex and AD’s have influence on this forum. Too much fact and transparency can also get you cancelled so keep things professional, strategic and respectful guys. Just my 2 cents.
James84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 03:16 PM   #104
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
You're in Socal. Your math should consider how many people ahead of you have purchased more than you. More watches, more gold watches, more ladies watches, more two watches, etc...

I walked into Bhindi once, one of the brothers is sitting on the phone talking out loud. My rep said he only has the white gold sub to sell me. The brother is on the phone talking about selling a chocolate dial day date and a rose daytona. I asked for the rose daytona. Rep said he's not allowed to sell that. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsean View Post
I did a rough calculations as follows:

1. Typical AD gets 50 watches per month.
2. About 1/3 are sports models in Sub, GMT, Daytona, AK, Explorers, YM, SD
3. Out of ~17 sports models, ~5 are TT and gold.
4. That leaves about 12 steel sports watches. Maybe ~5 Subs and 1 or less for other models.

I would try to be more fair to my better repeat customers. Like Grey dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAP7 View Post
If you had ten watches and fifty customers, would you be fair?

No. You’d maximise return. In this case, as you can’t inflate price, it’s done by selling sweeteners.

If you don’t like that then move on. Complaining is futile.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:24 AM   #105
Bavariandoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
AD allocation is unrelated to chances of you getting SS piece

Best is to invest in a relationship with AD, with possible chance of getting a piece you have been asking for.

As someone said, ADs are trying to sell 10 watches to 300 customers wanting to buy, and it’s all business, nothing personal. If they use hard to get pieces to sell jewelry or move hard to sell Rolex pieces to gray market, it’s wise business decision, which we might not like but works for their max profit.

ADs do get regularly allocated SS pieces, SS Daytonas too, it really comes down where you fall in their ‘list’.

I was on the list for batman at AD near me, and kept on checking on regular bases, with no luck and AD kept telling me they are simply not getting those. In period of 6 months, few of the fellow members got it from same AD, so he is getting them and was not truthful.

I ended up getting Batman from different AD within few months, and when I asked about SS Daytona, they said they do get those but not allowed to sell or disclose if they have - only store manager decides who gets those.

Every AD has its own politics and way of selling hard to get pieces
Bavariandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 08:45 AM   #106
febie111
"TRF" Member

I got the Hulk in 3 months,the Batman in 4 months and the blue dial YM40 in 2 days but this was back in 2018/19. I asked for a Pepsi 4 years ago and no call yet..The Daytona Panda 5 years ago and no call yet. I went to the grey market for the Pepsi and Daytona as I doubt I will ever get the call on these and I have no regrets.. Life is way too short to wait endlessly for a wrist watch.
febie111 is offline   Reply With Quote