The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2024, 11:10 PM   #1
Tcw495
"TRF" Member

I'm new to the waiting game

Hi there. Relatively new year so pardon my ignorance. I have a few Rolex's that I purchased back like 7 or 8 years ago, which I was able to walk into a Tourneau AD in Miami and purchase on the spot because inventory seemed pretty strong at the time.

Now, I'm starting to play the waiting game. I'm after a couple of harder to come by pieces (Pepsi jubilee and DD yellow gold with green dial) and certainly not in a huge rush to get them, but have been told by my AD that they don't really have a best guess as to wait times. I do regularly buy other items from my AD (jewelry, etc.) if that matters.

Should I be calling every few months to "check-in" or completely leaving them alone and waiting patiently? I'm not sure what is considered a faux paus and what's the best practice for making sure I stay top of mind!

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance you can provide.
Tcw495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 11:53 PM   #2
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
I have a relationship with 2 separate AD’s and we text on a constant basis about everything and not just watches. My motto is the squeaky wheel gets the grease…..

Good luck and those are probably 2 of the top five hardest pieces to get.
Old 4 May 2024, 12:02 AM   #3
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

To the OP -
Sir,
If you aren’t an active purchaser from an AD (No longstanding relationship) the chances of getting those 2 “Grail” watches are zero. Period. They don’t need you to buy the most coveted, popular and easiest to move watches.
You would be best off considering pre-owned “Grail Watch” from a very reputable dealer/seller or simply pay the massive premium for a new piece from a Grey Market Dealer.
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 12:13 AM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Tough situation to be in. I would go into the AD and have a conversation with the SA about your chances to get those watches. I would believe the SA will be vague and not offer any concrete answers, only speculation. Stranger things have happened but it would be surprising if you get either one of those watches, ever, from your AD. Go look at our Trusted Sellers, most have independent websites, and see where you are price wise and availability. Pick up the phone, give them a call and see what they tell you about the price and what the market looks like. The BLRO on the jubilee is the one I would look at first. A great watch and one that can be a daily should you choose. Good luck and let us know how you progress.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 12:28 AM   #5
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Hi TCW so I would definitely check in regularly, every six to eight weeks and depending on the market you’re in and your spend history you might just get lucky! When you visit it doesn’t hurt to make small purchases here and there; just make sure you work with the same SA every time; I always reach out to mine to ensure he’s working (and not slammed with other clients) before I go in. If I’m there and we’re shooting the breeze and a fresh customer walks in he knows I want him to always go for the next sale and I’ll wait or just come back later (we both work in commission retail so he knows I get it).

You know you’ve built real rapport when your SA (and ideally the manager) greet you by name without having to be prompted. Once I got to that point with mine, my BLNR on jubilee magically showed up a month or two later. Granted, a far easier watch to get than a BLRO or a green dial DD, but still an in demand one that sells over MSRP on the secondary market and they could have easily sold to a far bigger spender than me.

You just need to make yourself the first person that comes to mind when the allocation shows up and one of those watches is in it. Good luck!!
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 12:35 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Unfortunately, you’re going to probably go from new to the waiting game to old and bitter from the waiting game and give up or buy from a TRF trusted seller for those particular watches.
Old 4 May 2024, 01:08 AM   #7
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

I generally check in periodically (every month or two) but both those models are very popular so I would temper your expectations. You may end up investing a lot of time without any result
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 01:10 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wish you all the best of luck

I’d stay in touch, ideally with personal visits every 3-4 months.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 01:21 AM   #9
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:42 AM   #10
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Yikes…..

First off, welcome.

I will tell you , it’s a better time to get in line than it was a few years ago. It’s probably moving nominally quicker now for many SS pieces.

That said, the two you are interested in are very difficult. Maybe the most difficult behind the stainless Daytona. Simply changing the dial color on the DD to something else you really like would help.

You have great taste in watches by the way. Both references are stunning. Hope you post often and continue to share your passion.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:47 AM   #11
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Hate to tell ya but I would find another brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:57 AM   #12
sprmario2k3
"TRF" Member

I just took my Datejust in for service and talked to the sales rep about getting on the list for a no date Submariner. We chit chatted about the market and he says it is loosening up some. They have quite a few Datejusts in stock for example and he indicated that the No Date Sub is a significantly faster get than a Dated version.

What I do not understand is the need to check in. I would think the sales associates would not want to be bothered by customers checking in monthly.

Either they are going to go down the list or they are not and either way, why does checking in help?

I would think that actual spend does matter as they are getting commission from their other sales to supplement the commission that they are going to get regardless on the Rolexes. I do have some decent additional spend coming up. My wife would like a Cartier Tank, and I want to get her something nice for our next anniversary. Really she wants an Hermes handbag, which is the pretty much the same as getting a Rolex.
sprmario2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 04:28 AM   #13
atomic_watch
"TRF" Member

I am in a similar situation, newly on the hunt for a Rolex. I just got of the phone with a AD that I bought an Omega Speedmaster a few years ago from. The sales person I worked with before gave me some insightful information for what its worth. They get 4-5 Rolex’s a month - any variety, then never know what they will get. She told me they keep a list and the sales reps “advocate” for who gets the watches to the store owners and the owners decide who gets the watches. So I’m on “the list”, she said she would do her best - but I won’t wait long. I may give it a little bit, but everyone else is right…either wait with an open ended hope that your watch (1) comes in, and (2) you are given the opportunity to buy it or go grey and get it immediately at a markup.

Seems like a shoddy way to do business but thats the current market apparently.

Good luck!
atomic_watch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 09:33 AM   #14
ansonash
"TRF" Member

I'm going to vegas next Friday and already message my SA ask for DD40 YG green dial. I don't think I will be lucky enough to get the DD as my 5th Rolex from him. I got 3 SA from 3 different stores. However, It's worth to try though.

SA1:
1st two tone sub
2nd deepsea
3rd daytona ghost osyterflex
4th sprite
5th (hopefully DD40 YG green dial)

SA2:
1st: SkyD SS white dial
2nd: OP 41 green dial

SA3:
1st: green sub
2nd: rose gold daytona osyterflex