The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2008, 03:48 PM   #61
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
For me Rolex is worth what they cost!!!!

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 04:24 PM   #62
ezmoney46

Watch: several
I love my Rolex, Only have one but to me it's tops ! Kinda like my Harley, owned other brands but just not the same as the Harley! There are other quality watches and motorcycles but for me it's what smiles back
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 10:41 PM   #63
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Maybe, maybe not. Rolex has certainly worked hard through their marketing to place their product at a certain level. So has Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche and other companies who actually mass produce high end goods. Whether the workings, cases, precious metals etc add up to the value equaling price who knows? I know I like having a Rolex on my wrist for many reasons. I've got the itch for another watch right now and have considered other brands but I ask myself if I will be happy with anything but a Rolex.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 11:49 PM   #64
sherwin
"TRF" Member

considering that my family has bought so many in their life. i think we all agree that the rolex smile and quality is just worth it
sherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 12:19 AM   #65
lorsban
"TRF" Member

The way I see it, it's either you want one or you don't.

If you wanted one, then there's no substituting for it and no matter how expensive it is, you'll find a way to get one. You could save for years, working like a dog just to get one and it'll all be worth it. Whatever the reason is, it doesn't matter. You want one and that's it.

But if you don't want one then it wouldn't be worth it for you and you'd probably be getting yourself an Omega or a Breitling or even a Panerai, Breguet or Patek (which cost much more than comparable models from Rolex).

It's only really a problem if you're sitting on the fence, not knowing what you want or why you want it. In this case, it's probably still safer to get a Rolex anyway because the resale value will still be good in case it's not the one you want. I'm not sure I can say the same for all those other brands. True, a Breguet will probably increase in value (from the time you bought it up to the time you sell it) but what about the demand? Not a lot of people know about that brand so it may be sitting there collecting dust for a long long time.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 02:15 AM   #66
jmjm

Watch: Blue Submariner TT
The price is definitely worth it! I think you are paying for the "luxury" and status symbol. Anyway you look at it, it all comes down to that.

Among the Asian culture, it is a way to remind themselves why they have to suffer at their jobs or work. A good example; A liquor store owner who works 7 days a week, 365 days a year wearing a SS Silver Stick DJ or even a TT DJ.
jmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 02:27 AM   #67
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjm View Post
The price is definitely worth it! I think you are paying for the "luxury" and status symbol. Anyway you look at it, it all comes down to that.

Among the Asian culture, it is a way to remind themselves why they have to suffer at their jobs or work. A good example; A liquor store owner who works 7 days a week, 365 days a year wearing a SS Silver Stick DJ or even a TT DJ.
actually many of the silly asians (as i like to call it) have no idea what a rolex is, they just wear it to show that they have "made it". i know, because one of my uncle is one of them. they wear it because other people do, and they think it is "cool"
sherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 04:58 AM   #68
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060 2019
Keep the Rolex, definitely a sign of CLASS. Probably 98% of wealthy, educated person(s) would rather have (example) 1 really nice diamond ring worth $10,000.00 then 10 rings at $1,000.00 a piece. Quality over Quanity wins every time.
Egelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 05:04 AM   #69
jmjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiko.citizen View Post
actually many of the silly asians (as i like to call it) have no idea what a rolex is, they just wear it to show that they have "made it". i know, because one of my uncle is one of them. they wear it because other people do, and they think it is "cool"
I disagree, young fellow. You must be a second or third generation Asian.
No one would buy a Rolex and not know the significance of owning one. They may not know much about the model numbers of the movements, and the difference between a Z or M series, but they know exactly what a Rolex is and why they got one. It is not necessarily as shallow as you might put it.

Looking into Asian history, Western culture was the symbol of the future. As for Korea, our parents' generation lived and survived through the first and second World War, and also the Korean War. They still retell the stories of eating plant roots like Scarlet O'Hara, running away from the communists, relying on the Americans to leave them a pack of GI issue leftovers now and then. As a symbol of hope and everything good, were things that came from Europe and America. The iconic hero such as General McArthur were images of everything that were beyond the senseless and meaningless life that they grew up with. Owning an Rolex is not a simple matter of "making it" because no one is dumb enough to think that working 365 days is "making it". Owning a Rolex is somehow symbolizing that "American Dream" that our 1st generation parents came to this country with, with nothing more that the clothes on their backs and $50 in their pockets. I have uncles who came to this country as foreign students, going to college, working part time in the laundromat, eating cans of "Dogfood" to "make it". From a life like that, only one motivation helped them survive. Like the Vikings, they had "burned their ships" upon entering this country. Besides God of course, the sole motivation that kept them going was the hope of being a "business" owner in America, whether it be a dry-cleaner, liquor store, a market, a transmission store, janitorial services, anything as long as they could call it their own. I think they deserve credit to strong enough to survive in a country where they have no families, and don't even speak the language.

I remember growing up in Korea, admiring my dad's watch whose brand name was "Orient". Back in those days, all watches were mechanical. The status symbol for a "Salary man" (A term used in Japan and Korea which has long been faded away) was a Seiko. But even in those days, the Rolls Royce of watches were of course a Rolex, that only diplomats and presidents of large companies had access to. Even then, they knew what a ROLEX was. Just like the origins of the name of ROLEX itself, it was the Rolls Royce of all watches. (ROLLS ROYCE + TIMEX)
Old 20 April 2008, 05:41 AM   #70
Norm

Quote:
I disagree, young fellow. You must be a second or third generation Asian.
No one would buy a Rolex and not know the significance of owning one. They may not know much about the model numbers of the movements, and the difference between a Z or M series, but they know exactly what a Rolex is and why they got one. It is not necessarily as shallow as you might put it.

Looking into Asian history, Western culture was the symbol of the future. As for Korea, our parents' generation lived and survived through the first and second World War, and also the Korean War. They still retell the stories of eating plant roots like Scarlet O'Hara, running away from the communists, relying on the Americans to leave them a pack of GI issue leftovers now and then. As a symbol of hope and everything good, were things that came from Europe and America. The iconic hero such as General McArthur were images of everything that were beyond the senseless and meaningless life that they grew up with. Owing an Rolex is not a simple matter of "making it" because no one is dumb enough to think that working 365 days is "making it". Owning a Rolex is somehow symbolizing that "American Dream" that our 1st generation parents came to this country with, with nothing more that the clothes on their backs and $50 in their pockets. I have uncles who came to this country as a foreign students, going to a college, working part time in the laundromat, eating cans of "Dogfood" to "make it". From a life like that, only one motivation helped them survive, as like the Vikings, they had "burned their ships" upon entering this country. Besides God of course, the sole motivation that kept them going was the hope of being a "business" owner in America, whether it be a dry-cleaner, liquor store, a market, a transmission store, janitorial services, anything as long as they could call it their own. I think they deserve credit to strong enough to survive in a country where they have no families, and don't even speak the language.

I remember growing up in Korea, admiring my dad's watch whose brand name was "Orient". Back in those days, all watches were mechanical. The status symbol for a "Salary man" (A term used in Japan and Korea which has long been faded away) was of course Seiko. But even in those days, the Rolls Royce of watches were of course a Rolex, that only diplomats and presidents of large companies had access to. Even then, they knew what a ROLEX was. Just like the origins of the name of ROLEX itself, it was the Rolls Royce of all watches. (ROLLS ROYCE + TIMEX)
Very elegant and well told. Thank you for that. While I grew up in this country, relatively speaking, we had very little. I knew the name Rolex though, and knew that if I was ever lucky enough to wear one that would mean that fortune had indeed smiled on me at least once in my life.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 05:54 AM   #71
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Keep the Rolex, definitely a sign of CLASS.
If you guys saw the majority of Rolex wearers in the Uk you'd change your opinion. The peasant underclass in Britain (we call them Chavs) are fully into the clothes and accessories as a sign of wealth and prosperity. The fact that most of them live in social housing or are recieving benefits payments has nothing to do with it. Wear the "bling" and the fashionable attire and that is all that matters.

Rolex, Burberry, Loius Vuitton, Mercedes etc...their "status" suffers due to this kind of people bragging about the fact they own it!

I'm against the idea of anything as a status symbol or sign of you making it! I think it's shallow and nonsensical.

Rappers drink Cristal, wear 'God-only-knows-what' watches and drive Maybachs or Bentleys....would you truly say that these guys have class?

The adage in Britain is that "one cannot buy class" and it is true.

Buy something because you love it and you truly want it to warm your heart and soul.

If you are spending $10k plus on a watch to prove to others you are better than them, then I think that money would be better spent talking to a professional!

JMHO.

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 06:44 AM   #72
jake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Submariner
Owning a Rolex is like money in the bank except you get to enjoy wearing the Rolex, and they typically appreciate more than a CD would. Rolex is also probably one of the safest investments you can make.

The smartest way to buy a Rolex is to buy one that is a year or two old, but in flawless condition. If you buy it right you will NEVER lose money on it and likely make money.

I am not saying you should buy a Rolex as an investment or safe harbor, but it is.
Old 20 April 2008, 06:48 AM   #73
jake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Submariner
Is it true that the Rolex name was a combination of Rolls Royce & Timex? Do you know this to be a fact? It seems to me that Rolex has been around longer in the wrist-watch business than Timex. Anybody know for sure?

Quote:
Just like the origins of the name of ROLEX itself, it was the Rolls Royce of all watches. (ROLLS ROYCE + TIMEX)
Old 20 April 2008, 06:59 AM   #74
viper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I would rather have one or two very nice things than a bunch of lesser quality stuff. I am more of a quality vs. quantity kind of guy.
X12
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 07:55 AM   #75
SteyrAUG
"TRF" Member

Rolex makes me happy and that is cheaper than therapy.
Old 20 April 2008, 08:09 AM   #76
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
Is it true that the Rolex name was a combination of Rolls Royce & Timex? Do you know this to be a fact? It seems to me that Rolex has been around longer in the wrist-watch business than Timex. Anybody know for sure?

LOL! I would be curious as to the origin of this myself.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 08:41 AM   #77
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I have often thought of selling my Sub. The reason I don't is becuase my Son wants it in a few years and I admire the cal. 3135. This thought would have never occured to me before I owned my Omega which is excellent. I'd like a Planet Ocean some day but I'm not sure about the co-axle movement because I want any good watchmaker to be able to service the watch. You are paying a substantial premium for the Rolex brand and, as you would expect on this board, we are all prepared to pay it. I love mine, but to be honest, I would not drop 9K if I was in the market today.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 09:47 AM   #78
jmjm

Quote:
As we all know, Rolex is not the most prestigious watchmaker in Swiss, nor does it have the prodigy of other watch houses. Certainly, it is not the most expensive. I once had a chance to go to Zurich in '95 and was making small talk to my supplier during a business meeting, and his personal opinion was rather negative toward Rolex. The feeling that I got was like how in the movie Titanic, the character of Molly Brown (played by Kathy Bates) was referred to as "New Money". The gentleman that I was speaking with, a mid manager of a optical polishing machine mfg., gave me the impression that although Rolex is the most recognized brand from Swiss, it is not necessarily their national pride. Hmmm, imagine that, for I was thoroughly disappointed, internally.

Anyway, no one knows for sure the origins of the Rolex name. But the origins of the company is not Swiss, but I think England. They later relocated to Swiss. Besides good craftmsanship, it was a combination of several "Genius" marketing campaigns and good timing that made Rolex into what it is today. The (Rolls Royce + Timex) theory is one of several "Theories" that can be found in Rolex resource books. The Timex that they are referring to is not the same as "It takes a Licking, and keeps on ticking" Timex of America.

Of course, I am in no way an authority of this subject, but from what info. I've come across, over the years. I thought it was funny too.....
Old 20 April 2008, 10:12 AM   #79
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The feeling that I got was like how in the movie Titanic, the character of Molly Brown (played by Kathy Bates) was referred to as "New Money".
Well, it's easy enough to see why. Among all the watch brands, which watches do you see most on TV (commercials, sporting events, etc...), print ads? Isn't it Omega, Tag, Rolex? Among those three, Rolex is the most expensive so people think it's the best. That's why Rolex is on top of the list. When they've made enough money and are out looking for a watch, it's probably going to be a Rolex that they're after.

So, there are levels that you go through, starting from maybe timex or casio, then seiko, next up is Tag or Omega, and lastly Rolex. It's mostly due to advertising and marketing that it's those particular brands that are in most people's minds. They most probably won't know about A. Lange and Sohne, Audemars Piguet, JLC or even IWC.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 12:57 PM   #80
Poker_Emperor

Why I Want My Rolex

I concur with the majority on this board. A Rolex is not just a watch, it's something that just brings out the best in you. It's like what one poster stated, "it makes me feel good, and that's better than therapy." Anyway, forget the stigma that most people attached to Rolex ownership (even though it is cool sometimes), you should buy a Rolex because it makes you feel good about yourself. For me, it's a way of rewarding myself for all those years of working hard and finally being able to reward myself with something nice.

In closing, doesn't matter why you buy it, just make sure you love it and don't be an asshole about it ... who cares what people think. You don't have to justify the price to anyone! Well ... don't be and idiot an pay above market value!

Plus, it's easier picking up hot gold diggers at a bar Just don't be stupid and fall in love
Poker_Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 01:28 PM   #81
doghouse

Watch: submariner
I think my Rolex is worth every penny. I bought a Breitling last night for half of what the Sub cost. It is a heck of a watch for the money no doubt about it, but the Sub just does it for me. They are both different and I like that a lot.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 08:07 PM   #82
walds11
"TRF" Member

Amen. I went through the same situation years ago with an Omega SMP and Sub Date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
I think my Rolex is worth every penny. I bought a Breitling last night for half of what the Sub cost. It is a heck of a watch for the money no doubt about it, but the Sub just does it for me. They are both different and I like that a lot.
Old 20 April 2008, 10:09 PM   #83
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
I'm against the idea of anything as a status symbol or sign of you making it! I think it's shallow and nonsensical.

Rappers drink Cristal, wear 'God-only-knows-what' watches and drive Maybachs or Bentleys....would you truly say that these guys have class?

The adage in Britain is that "one cannot buy class" and it is true.

Buy something because you love it and you truly want it to warm your heart and soul.

If you are spending $10k plus on a watch to prove to others you are better than them, then I think that money would be better spent talking to a professional!

JMHO.

J
Well said. I have met many wealthy people that had no class. Especially the young 1st generation hand-me-down wealth. If it wasn't for their parents they would be in the gutter but, they treat people like commodities to be bought and sold. You can't buy good values, compassion and empathy for your fellow man, or a soul. If you don't have these things in life, you really are underprivileged. Thanks for sharing.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 01:56 PM   #84
lace2122
"TRF" Member

Roolexx!!!

haha trust me it is...my mom got a rolex in the 90's but she moved on to better one's after that we still have that rolex and i wore it my first day of college i was like "wow this thing still works after so long". the only rel problem was that it wasn't as bright and defined as it was before but i'm sure i could coin about $500 for it, ppl wana buy it from me just 2 say they have a rolex...
lace2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 02:30 PM   #85
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
i want the original one and i bought it. all the other (tag, omega etc seem like chinese copies). The problem is that now i want and the Daytona..
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 03:48 PM   #86
kansas

Watch: No rolex YET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felly Jr. View Post
Agree ! Quality over quantity.
kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 08:17 PM   #87
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by nektarios View Post
i want the original one and i bought it. all the other (tag, omega etc seem like chinese copies). The problem is that now i want and the Daytona..
Omega a chinese copy??

Is Roles always worth it?
no, its not always worth it. But most Rolex owners have good reasons for buying it, and that desire is worth every penny.
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 08:20 PM   #88
ROLEX MAN
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
At age 25 with not much money and a modest wage I bought my first GMT master 1675, second hand, I wore that baby for 14 years because I could't afford a new one, later bought a brand new one, and regret selling my first baby!!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 08:41 PM   #89
Vipergq

Quote:
Owning a Rolex is like money in the bank except you get to enjoy wearing the Rolex, and they typically appreciate more than a CD would. Rolex is also probably one of the safest investments you can make.

The smartest way to buy a Rolex is to buy one that is a year or two old, but in flawless condition. If you buy it right you will NEVER lose money on it and likely make money.

I am not saying you should buy a Rolex as an investment or safe harbor, but it is.
Beautifully said...

Why not be able to wear and enjoy your investment....ANYTHING that you can purchase, Use and enjoy for years, and then resell for the same price you bought it for is a good "investment" in my eyes...
Vipergq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 09:44 PM   #90
IT-guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 126600
I find Rolex fascinating in terms of mechanics and design, but it's more than that - it's a result of a brilliant branding and marketing strategy. So, to me, it's not just a watch - it's a business model, a showcase of how to strategize and execute. Definitely worth it!
IT-guy is offline   Reply With Quote