The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 July 2009, 05:02 AM   #31
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Tag Heuer Monaco - The film Le Mans and Steve McQueen.
Rolex Submariner - Its been on the arm of many a famous person.
FP Journe "Black Label" Calendrier - for being part of my history!! LOL.
Old 29 July 2009, 05:35 AM   #32
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Again, great responses everyone! I will distil the first list this weekend with the inclusion of my own choices!
Old 30 July 2009, 12:14 AM   #33
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
great thread...amazing input by everyone guys...Dell, Cody and Chris, as always. adding greatly and positively to everyone's knowledge...looking forward to Fran's list and a heated criticism of it
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 08:22 PM   #34
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Top 10 lists are always so hard to do. There is always going to be, no matter what, several good watches that will be left out. Good luck Frans!
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 04:33 AM   #35
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
footprint in history:Attachment 77848
the most accurate wristwatch (self-contained time keeping) ever. +/- 3 secs per year. 1975.
now, i'm not so sure about this one, as Paddy had a recent post with info that there was a grand seiko quartz rated to 2 seconds a year.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 05:41 PM   #36
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
now, i'm not so sure about this one, as Paddy had a recent post with info that there was a grand seiko quartz rated to 2 seconds a year.
Another one to consider, the Omega Megaquartz 2400 Marine Chronometer.

Link to Omega Website

Link to Bill Sohne of Timezone

Quote from Omega:, A Journey Through Time, 2007:

"The [Omega] Megaquartz 2400, indisputably the most accurate and the most technologically advanced wristwatch in the world*, ... Its unmatched precision of one second a month is around ten times greater than that of an ordinary quartz watch. ... on version, the calibre 1511, [earned] the title of Marine Chronometer from the Astronomic and Chronometric Observatory of Neuchatel - a unique award. After 63 days of rigorous testing, the mean variation rate was no more than 2/1000th of a second per day, or 0.73 seconds per year!

*A decade later, thermo-compensated quartz calibres started to achieve similar results. However, as of 2007, no wristwatch other than the Omega Megaquarz in calibres 1511 and 1516 has yet been able to obtain the prestigiuos title of Marine Chronometer.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
Old 3 August 2009, 06:12 AM   #37
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

This is the first list of watches for your consideration. It is always hard to include or exclude watches from a limited list, but here goes (no particular order):

The Mercedes Gleitze Rolex Oyster – The watch that started it all for Rolex and one of the first usable waterproof watches and testament to Hans Wildorf’s business savvy.

The Seiko 35 SQ Astron – The first production quartz watch available to the general public. It was the harbinger of what Japan was capable of and watches like these and the later all digital quartz watches almost spelled the end of the Swiss mechanical watch industry. And saved it too.

The 1960 Bulova Accutron – Very important as the prelude to the new dawn of electronic watches and, for those days, an awe-inspiring product.

The Omega Speedmaster Professional – AKA ‘The Moonwatch’. Needs no further introduction and it also emphasized the importance of the wristwatch.

The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms – The granddaddy of the quintessential sportswatch. Supposedly beat Rolex to the game by a couple of months.

The Concord Delirium – An almost forgotten watch but it is the thinnest wristwatch ever made at 1.98 mm. It paved the way for a new method in watch making: the caseback is a structural part of the movement.

The Swatch One – This is the watch that put the Swiss watch industry back on the map again, inexpensive, waterproof, plastic and hip.

The Hamilton Pulsar – The world’s first all digital watch. It started a trend and thus was a trendsetter although short lived.

The Cartier Tank – Most recognizable of all Cartier models and named after the first tanks that appeared in WWI. And still in production all be it with different technology.

The Zenith El Primero – The winner of a race, a watch race and the supplier of the pre-manufacture Rolex Daytona movement.

The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak – The birth of a new type of watch: the luxurious sportswatch. Made in many, many variations and very recognizable.

The Braille watch – This simple but brilliant concept makes it possible for people that are visually impaired to tell the time. Now there are watches that literally tell the time but before these, the Braille watch was the only way to ‘feel’ the time.

Please add more to make the list more diverse so that a choice is possible! Thank you all for your contributions

An example of a watch that cannot make the list: The Elgin A-11 military watch as worn by pilots during WWII. Why? Not available to the general public.
Old 6 August 2009, 07:40 PM   #38
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Great list Frans! Well done.
#15,634

Old 6 August 2009, 09:24 PM   #39
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
One more vote for Breguet: supplied watches for Royalty and 18th and 19th century celebrities
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2009, 04:37 AM   #40
ASH
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 233
Breitling Navitimer

Daytora 1.jpg
Old 9 August 2009, 06:13 AM   #41
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
there are so many steps in the evolution of watches that a COMPLETE list would be problematic with-in the alotted ten but I think you have come up with a GREAT list Frans
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 05:16 PM   #42
foxint
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enicar
Watches of Histroical Significance

Hi Guys

My short list - in no particular order

Zenith El Primero - first Auto Chrono & continues as one of the few Hi Beat 36,000Bph, movements leeft

Gallet Fast Train - first HiBeat movements c. 1929 (i am betting I will be the only one to mention this one). Go to the Gallet Website.

Rolex Sub - as the definitive Dive watch. Not saying best, but you just have to have one on any list of Significant watches.

Movado Museum - agree with another guy. Design Wise Significant

Too many great watches, but to me these stand out
foxint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 05:22 PM   #43
blackmsport
Banned

List should include

1. Casio G Shock (most popular watch world wide)
2. Seiko 5
3. Tag heuer SEL
4. Rolex Sumbariner
5. Rolex Datejust
6. Omega Speedmaster
7. Omega Seamaster
8. Rolex Daytona
9. Timex Ironman
10. Swatch
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2009, 03:38 AM   #44
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Jumbo
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore
Vacheron Constantin 222
Patek Phillipe Calatrava
Rolex Cosmograph
Rolex GMT Master
Omega Speedmaster
Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso
IWC Portuguese
IWC Ingenieur

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 12:10 PM   #45
Tick Tok Zak

I have compiled the names and model of the watch keepin in mind certain aspects like innovative creation, mass appeal (popularity) and above all also historic importance of the timepiece. It is in random order...

Omega Deville : JFK choice while public speech as a President. Gifted by his good friend. Engraved at the back

Rolex Presidential bracelet on Datejust: As gifted by Rolex to US & its allies after second world war President Eisenhoff and Winston Churchill were gifted. Officially, president bracelet was launched on Day date watch after ten years in the year 1957...

Omega Speedmaster: Apollo 11 and Apollo 13

Romaine Jerome : Titanic DNA

Breguet Marie Antoinette pocket watch

Glashutte Original Senator Sixties collection

Breitling Navitimer the fusion of slide rule calculator on wrist watch in early 1950's

Hamilton Ventura pure creation from the past (Elvis Presley)

Rolex Daytona :) Paul Newman choice

Omega Seamaster Classic James bond choice...

Cartier Tank Franciase
Tick Tok Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2009, 10:20 AM   #46
tr4driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
No Clive Cussler fans? How about the Doxa Sub 300T?
tr4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 01:21 AM   #47
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
I agree with you. I think it should be on the list. Monsieur Jacques Cousteau used to wear it on his expeditions so that's enough good reason.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2009, 12:26 AM   #48
Airborn

Watch: IWC:Inge,Aquatimer
OK GoodWatch this is your 10
1. Bob Dylan wear ORIS
2. JLC Master Compressor Extreme LAB is right now at Geophisics Expedition on Virgin Himalayah Peak
3. Longines Pocket watch was used by ALBERT EINSTEIN for proof of RELATIVETY
4. Longines Diver legend was used for the first time 1950 for diving at Trieste and was first diver watch with two crowns and internal bezel
5. Longines Charles Lindberg has use during trans ocean flight with his air craft spirit of st. louis
6.Breguet Marie Antoinette the most complicated watch ever and forever made for Franch Queen
7.Breguet for General Napoleon Bonaparte, sir. Winston Churchill,Giachino Rossini,Louis XVI (1783), Selim 3rd sultan of the Ottoman Empire(1806), George 3rd king of england (1810),etc.....
8.Antoine LeCoultre measured micrometre (1844),also milionmetre, Calibre 101 the smallest watch ever(1929), etc....
10. Vacheron Constantin Tor de I'ill sold for 2.400.000,00CHF the most expensive and complicated vristwatch ever till Hybris mechanica by JLC which is righ now the most complicated and expensive watch.
11. Longines ultra quartz the most precision movement which was used in military and industry purpose
12. IWC Spitfire in the movie mr. and mrs. Smith (Brad Pitt)
13. 1930 -TISSOT SAVING OMEGA (they produced first automatic chrono inspired by breitling)FROM COLAPSE BY SHARING THE PARTS AND TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENTS WITH OMEGA SO IS THE OMEGA SUPER STAR? OR IT'S JUST..........
14. TISSOT the first anti-magnetic watch in 1929-30. Sponsoring Alpinists
15. JLC Master compresor was the first watch for real tested at 1000m depth
ETC......SO THE HISTORY IS SOMETHING WHAT IS NATIVE TO EUROPE BUT TO america HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I DO NOT THINK SO.
THANKS
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2009, 05:16 AM   #49
blueflamesg
Banned

1: Patek Philippe Calatrava
2: Vecheron Constantin Patromony
3: AP Royal Oak
4: Rolex stainless steel Daytona
5: A Lange & Sohne Lange 1
6: Dufour Simplicity
7: Ulysse Nardin Freak
8: Harry Winston Opus 3
9: Breguet LA Tradition
10: IWC Big Pilot
blueflamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 11:33 PM   #50
Fang

Please don't forget about Tissot T-Touch. The first touch screen dial multi-functions sport watch.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2010, 05:46 AM   #51
poboxw

Watch: Damasko DA37
I'd stick the Breitling Navitimer Chronomatic preseries in there (first Automatic Chronograph is pretty significant in my books)
poboxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2010, 05:54 AM   #52
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Great responses folks! Good all-round watch knowledge as well. But........ only one watch per brand please
Old 4 February 2010, 12:05 PM   #53
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
It's very hard to read this thread without drooling
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2010, 12:13 PM   #54
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I

kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 10:16 AM   #55
2005rivers

Watch: GMT Master IIc
I don't know enough about the watch world to give a list of top ten, but I will put my 2cents in on two watches that I think should be on the top ten.

1. Rolex GMT Master II; I vote for this to be on the top ten because this was the first wrist watch to display multiple time zones. I think the history is so unique. I realize the Sub has its history and popularity which will propably put it on the list instead, but my vote is for the GMT

2. Omega Speedmaster professional, Not because it went to the moon, but because it was an off the shelf watch that passed all the tests required by NASA to be a moon watch, Rolex could not even stand up to the tests. The moon just puts it over the top

these are not in order
2005rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2010, 09:43 AM   #56
dmc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Davidson View Post
Sorry for the late reply, got logged off...And sorry, I broke all your rules. I just couldn't keep some of them out! In defense of so many Rolex choices, they really are the father of modern day wristwatches. They set the standard so many years ago that all others continue to follow to this day.

1. Marine Chronometer: John Harrison. The father of modern mechanical watches has to be mentioned.
  2. Rolex: The first Rolex Oyster wristwatch. Tested in the water and on the battlefield. Post WWI, made wearing a wristwatch cool for guys, started the whole wristwatch trend that continues to this day for men around the world.
  3. Rolex: Datejust. Where it all came together for Rolex...Chromometer, Self-Winding, Oyster/waterproof case, Date with magnification lens (easy to see, most common wristwatch complication today).
  4. Rolex: Submariner. Dr. No, James Bond & Sean Connery! First mass-produced, quality dive watch...still in production to day after over 50 years in continuous prodution.
  5. Speedmaster Moonwatch, caliber Lemania 321. It went to the moon, beat out several other chronographs to be "flight qualified" by NASA.
  6. Heuer & Breitling: Monaco & Chonomatic. First Automatic Chronographs on the market. Standard feature today in most chronograph watches.
  7. Zenith: El Primero. Highly accurate, 36,000 bph! Accurate to 1/10 second!
  8. Rolex: Cosmograph Daytona, 4130 caliber. Grail status, high resale values, beauty in its simplicity...less parts that do more functions. Iconic modern day watch.
  9. Patek: Perpetual Calender. High resale values, often setting records at auctions.
  10. Breguet: Tourbillon. With all the attention in recent years to Tourbillons...credit to Breguet for starting it all.
  11. Rolex: Day-Date aka "The President". A status symbol. Communicates that you "have arrived". Symbol for success by many, an aspiriational watch. Very well known by the general public.
  12. SWATCH watch or "second watch". Who'd have known that this company would eventually own almost all of the Swiss Watch industry???!!! They were crucial in saving Swiss watches during the Quartz crises. All WIS' thank them. Brian/iwantagmt is credited for this idea.

John Harrisons, H4 Marine Chronometer was said to have only lost 5 seconds in 81 days at sea. This Chronometer was tested in 1761. Harrison evidently invested about 31 years of his time, finally refining this piece which served to solve the problem of finding a sailors position along the line of longitude.

Hats off to you Mr. Harrison.......

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/john_harrison.htm

R.I.P. JJ
Rolex GMTIIC M
Rolex GMTIIC V TRF
Rolex 16610 M
Rolex 116610 G
Omega SMP

Live Free Or Die
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 10:00 PM   #57
Desperado
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Platinum
Seiko 35 SQ Astron,

the first Quartz watch to enter production (1969), this deserves a place on this list for sure
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2010, 11:27 PM   #58
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I would also list Breguet for inventing the Tourbillion as well as many other watch accomplishments.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 06:49 AM   #59
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The Rolex GMT for it's rich history.
dP
And Explorer !!
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 06:58 AM   #60
Rolex Junky
Banned

Watch: 116710LN & 116201
Surely the first wristwatches ever made deserve a place on thet top 10 list.

Those watches are:
Hers: made in 1868 by PATEK PHILIPPE
His: made in 1911 SANTOS by CARTIER

Why you might ask?

Nothing sums it up better than the following quote by Newton:

"If I have been able to see further than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants."
Rolex Junky is offline   Reply With Quote