The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 September 2009, 10:45 PM   #1
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
AD in central Illinois or within 2 hours?

Greetings,

Looking for my first Rolex here in the next few months, going to go for a Sub. The official Rolex www site is rather confusing, and I haven't been able to find a list of AD's around my area. I'd be willing to drive ~2 -3 hours, which puts Chicago and Indianapolis, possibly even St Louis in my range. I know about Tournea in Chicago, but I haven't heard great things about them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks! - Chris
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2009, 11:42 PM   #2
seedgun

Watch: All of them!
Chris,
I live in Springfield, we used to have 2 but none now. There is an AD in Decatur but I don't remember the name. I usually go to Stl. Simmons jewlers has a tremendous selection. Indy is good and Chicago has several but the city sales tax is a killer.
Truthfully, when I buy Rolexes I look here first, Ive had great dealings with Mosco and anastsios as well as several others.
I buy and sell quite a few watches and usually never through an AD. anymore, with sales tax and their markup, if you know what you want and have reputable sellers why do it unless you really are in to paying for the experience. I've bought 4 R's through AD's so I'm not really bashing them they perform an important service and they should be compensated for their time. But if you know what you want it's possible to save $1000's, and then you can buy more watches.
Where in Cen Il. are you located?
All the best,
ANdy
seedgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2009, 12:18 AM   #3
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Thanks Andy,

I live in the Champaign/Urbana area. I'm been checking prices both here and on ebay as well as on some of the reputable internet sites (specifically stein, swissluxury, bernard, and alan), seems that the best prices are indeed on this board.

I think when I am ready to pull the trigger so to speak, I'll get it here. I'm not picky in terms of buying new vs used, just want one that looks new and will last a lifetime.

I am a bit concerned with a wire transfer, even with plenty of references. I need to check into paypal, because it sounds like you have some protection there. Even though I'm only looking at the SS models, it's still a fair chunk of change for me.

I need to do a bit more research about the serials, ie, the difference between a Y series and an M series. I know those are associated with production dates, but do you know of a good site that lists the differences?

Thanks for the fast response - Chris

PS - The one in Decatur appears to be Flora Gems. I didn't see any watches online, so I dropped them an email to see if they actually sell them, if so, I'll head over just to physically see and feel em.
Old 13 September 2009, 12:49 AM   #4
mck22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
Chris, I am from southern Illinois down around STL. There are three dealers in the Area, and I must say go to Clarkson. They have two locations, so they can get you almost anything. They are great to work with, and very friendly. I work with Stacey at the Lake St. Louis location. She is very nice, and does not put any pressure on you. They are family owned and operated, so they like to give good service. Let me know if I can make any calls for you. Thanks

Brent

mck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2009, 01:12 AM   #5
submariner1

Jones bros. in Peoria, talk to Dan, hes the Rolex guru in Illinois!
submariner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2009, 01:24 AM   #6
submariner1

Jones bros., also keeps a good selection of sport watches in stock, right now they have a SDDS, green sub., no date etc...
submariner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2009, 04:09 AM   #7
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Outstanding, thanks much all for the recommendations! I'll be taking them!

- Chris
Old 13 September 2009, 08:28 AM   #8
seedgun

Watch: All of them!
Nother thought, Capetown diamonds in Ga.

http://www.capetownstore.com/Merchan...y_Code=Rolex-N

I've bought 2 watches, a JLC and a GMT from them, Always flawless transactions and I've had them service my Daytona and change out the dial which is something a RSC will not do.
Just more food for thought.

By the way my son is a Soph at Champaign in Computer Eng. So Go Illini!!!
Andy
seedgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2009, 10:31 PM   #9
stlmikewild
"TRF" Member

St. Louis AD

Elaine at Clarkson Jewelers (Ellisville location, in St. Louis County) is great. If you buy and they ship, they do not collect MO tax. It is your responsibility to pay IL tax.

M
stlmikewild is offline   Reply With Quote