"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610,116233,OsQz
His sub and my sub can be friends!
LordNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2011, 06:31 AM   #32
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Get it fixed! The 16800 is a gorgeous Submariner. If you don't want it, can I have it?
Old 13 December 2011, 03:03 AM   #33
Nakurate
"TRF" Member

An addendum to the story thus far is that it is actually that rare model #168000, made from that soft as butter 904L stainless. The bracelet pins seemed to dissolve on my wrist.

Even though I am currently drying out my '82 Seiko from a previous water excursion, and my '64 Universal is taking up the slack, I am strangely drawn back to Rolex.
It is a love/hate relationship based mostly on looks. I don't know whether I am ready to dissolve my superficial marriage yet.

While the other watches have not been in continuous use for the length of time the Rolex has, it would be unfair to compair them. I don't think they would have stood up to 24 continuous years of abuse without repairs, but they are both better timekeepers. The Seiko is amazing. Each time the fog lifts, I can't believe how accurate it is.

Perhaps all that is wrong is the built in "Rolex Trend Analyser". That thing that destroys your seals while underwater, to turn your glossy dial into that coveted matte finish.
Nakurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 05:26 AM   #34
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Since you're so eager to abuse your Rolex and praise your leaky Seiko, I'll make you an offer, I'll trade you two seiko's both water-tight, for your tormented and ill-treated Sub? Short of that what are you hoping to accomplish here with your aloof and vaguely disturbing posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakurate View Post
An addendum to the story thus far is that it is actually that rare model #168000, made from that soft as butter 904L stainless. The bracelet pins seemed to dissolve on my wrist.

Even though I am currently drying out my '82 Seiko from a previous water excursion, and my '64 Universal is taking up the slack, I am strangely drawn back to Rolex.
It is a love/hate relationship based mostly on looks. I don't know whether I am ready to dissolve my superficial marriage yet.

While the other watches have not been in continuous use for the length of time the Rolex has, it would be unfair to compair them. I don't think they would have stood up to 24 continuous years of abuse without repairs, but they are both better timekeepers. The Seiko is amazing. Each time the fog lifts, I can't believe how accurate it is.

Perhaps all that is wrong is the built in "Rolex Trend Analyser". That thing that destroys your seals while underwater, to turn your glossy dial into that coveted matte finish.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 05:41 AM   #35
316lad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Since you're so eager to abuse your Rolex and praise your leaky Seiko, I'll make you an offer, I'll trade you two seiko's both water-tight, for your tormented and ill-treated Sub? Short of that what are you hoping to accomplish here with your aloof and vaguely disturbing posts?
It's a strange one and no mistake...a post that suggests the owner has little or no respect for the watch and, as you rightly point out; why does he post?

Well, the easy thing to say would be: "Take a look at post No. 19 in this thread for your explanation. But, I happen to think it's more complicated than our old friend Haydendillon suggests, i.e; a troll.

No, I think our OP is asking for help; he has a watch that he has consistently abused - he thinks that abuse is somehow his 'Purchase Right', and, indeed, over the years he has asserted that in the most forthright manner. He has failed to realise that a Rolex is just as easy to break without due care and diligence, as any other complicated mechanical machine.

Now, it is broken.
What we are witnessing here is guilt. He has abused the Rolex, and now he realises that, in fact, he needs it. Well, we must be patient with him. We must assist where we can, we must, in the spirit of these forums, 'Do what we can to assist the OP'.

But, to give us all a fighting chance of helping you, OP, will you please tell us whether or not you're taking the mickey?

Thank you, in anticipation of an honest reply.
316lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 05:46 AM   #36
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
it wa reading ok till i got to the part about the battery in the op.
im out
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 05:57 AM   #37
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316lad View Post
It's a strange one and no mistake...a post that suggests the owner has little or no respect for the watch and, as you rightly point out; why does he post?

Well, the easy thing to say would be: "Take a look at post No. 19 in this thread for your explanation. But, I happen to think it's more complicated than our old friend Haydendillon suggests, i.e; a troll.

No, I think our OP is asking for help; he has a watch that he has consistently abused - he thinks that abuse is somehow his 'Purchase Right', and, indeed, over the years he has asserted that in the most forthright manner. He has failed to realise that a Rolex is just as easy to break without due care and diligence, as any other complicated mechanical machine.

Now, it is broken.
What we are witnessing here is guilt. He has abused the Rolex, and now he realises that, in fact, he needs it. Well, we must be patient with him. We must assist where we can, we must, in the spirit of these forums, 'Do what we can to assist the OP'.

But, to give us all a fighting chance of helping you, OP, will you please tell us whether or not you're taking the mickey?

Thank you, in anticipation of an honest reply.
God bless you James you are a patient man!

I do much better when I'm asked directly for things, simple is as simple does I suppose. To the OP what is your end game here? Are you looking for help?
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 11:49 AM   #38
Nakurate
"TRF" Member

Getting back to the original question, just wondering if with this amount of damage, it is worth fixing, or would it make more sense to start anew?

Anyone willing to guess at a ball park dollar estimate, (best case/worst case) without knowing what is inside? Present value in its' current state?

Presumably, to have it like new again (if that is possible), it must be sent back to RWC, due to the dial replacement.
Would they install the most current dial, or would they have a NOS dial sitting on the shelf?
Would they install any Sub dial you request, that they have in stock? i.e. a blue or green one for instance.
Would my modifications to the bracelet (hat pins to hold it together) cause a problem with their acceptance to work on it?

Upon closer inspection the crystal has cracking internally between the 33 & 38 minute mark, so it looks like the case and the movement are the only parts that can be refurbished.
The actual extent of internal damage is still a mystery.
Nakurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 12:09 PM   #39
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
google Bob Ridley.
and thanks for the entertaining post
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 12:34 PM   #40
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I like it. Use it hard. That's what it was made for, and what I do.
Here's my guess.
Routine service $600.
Extra wear and tear/damage $500+.
New crystal $200
New dial (if really needed) $200
New bezel insert $100
New bracelet $1200
So- $2800 or so and you're back in business for another 30 years.
It should be worth more than that. Fix it up, or send it to me and I'll fix it and keep it going for another 30 years.
What will kill you, if your water leak stuff is true, is if you have corrosion at the seals which keep it from being water resistant. The need for a new case is probably another $2k and will make it a total loss.
Good luck.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 02:30 PM   #41
thecentennial
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM312M
Lok, the OP may smoke a bit of but I believe his intentions are genuine.

OP, as an interesting experiment - bring it to your local Rolex dealer and request they provide a quote to bring it back to new. Love to see the RSC assessment...
thecentennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 10:31 AM   #42
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
If you want it done without pomp and circumstance properly and reasonably send it down I would be glad to make it your favorite watch again. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 11:48 AM   #43
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
If you want it done without pomp and circumstance properly and reasonably send it down I would be glad to make it your favorite watch again. Rikki
+1. Rikki will get you back online.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 01:50 PM   #44
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Jan Davis?? Is that you??
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 03:15 PM   #45
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Jan Davis?? Is that you??
HEY, Dan might be right. It's CRACKERMAN!!!!

-Eddie
Old 16 December 2011, 08:59 AM   #46
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would often notice the crown unscrewed while wearing it, knowing it was not I who unscrewed it. I have no explanation other than it unscrewing itself due to wrist vibration. I am pretty active with a hammer.
Hammering on the crown is unnecessary. Press in on the crown while turning clockwise to close it.

I am not familiar with this specific reference model, but I think this could have contributed to the issues you have experienced.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 07:52 AM   #47
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
+1. Rikki will get you back online.
X 2...Send it to Rikki and he will take good care of you and your timepeice....
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 08:51 AM   #48
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
Hammering on the crown is unnecessary. Press in on the crown while turning clockwise to close it.

I am not familiar with this specific reference model, but I think this could have contributed to the issues you have experienced.
Old 20 December 2011, 10:06 PM   #49
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
Quote:
My 24 year old 1987 "R" serialled Sub, #16800 (with the 3035 Caliber movement?) has finally ground to a halt after 24 years of having never been serviced. It has been my experience that performing servicing while a watch is still working has always resulted in more issues than what was originally addressed, hence the inertia on my part.
Much like my experience with dentistry, maybe I always ran into the wrong watchmakers.

It still runs but only in intervals of a few minutes. When it does run, it is now remarkably quiet. The rotor noise is gone as well (probably seized).
The rotor was making quite a lot of noise for probably the last 10 years.
The accuracy has always been terrible since new (about 5-6 minutes a day fast and slow), right out of the box, being one of the least accurate of any watch I have ever owned (quartz or mechanical), and I have gone through many.
Ironic for the only watch in my collection that is COSC certified.

The date change has also stumbled for the first few years after purchase. A good bang always rectified it. Usually it was around the higher dates 25-26-27.

Of course the tritium lume (which since new has always had tiny pinholes (maybe from the application process?)) has long since ceased functioning. I am sure that the moisture infiltration has had a part to play in that, along with staining and pitting the dial and hands, and goodness knows what else inside.
The moisture infiltration could have occured in the past few years when the dial started looking shabbier. Never enough to slosh around inside but sufficient to fog the dial when coming in from the cold.
I would often notice the crown unscrewed while wearing it, knowing it was not I who unscrewed it. I have no explanation other than it unscrewing itself due to wrist vibration. I am pretty active with a hammer.
That alone should not have allowed water in unless all the seals are shot.
I guess the resetting due to innacuracy several times a day over 24 years must have had something to do with it.
Can`t say any other watch I have owned ever had water infiltration. Ironic for a watch with the highest pressure rating in my collection.

The bracelet has a lot of play, and one of the pins completely wore out letting the watch fly off my wrist.
The carbon steel hat pin I fashioned to hold it together seems to have pretty good durability over the stainless one that fell out. I would always worry now that another pin will pop, maybe while swimming, or are the other pins that are left of a larger diameter (not counting the clasp)?
I also had to bend over the clasp to keep it from unlocking.

The bezel has popped off as well, but luckily I caught all the pieces including that pesky microscopic spring that I re-bent to prevent the bezel from going backwards. It worked for a few years but now slips a few minutes back.
Glad I don't do any diving. It is not a feature that I think any serious diver (or parking meter stuffer) would really depend on.
The only use that I can see for it, is to make the 30 mm dial look more impressive, and afford additional protection to the crystal. It accomplishes that task nicely.

Of course the crystal and bezel are scatched, but not remarkably so.
The sapphire crystal has taken a lot of abuse and has faired quite well.
Compared to mineral glass or plastic, it is most impressive.
I normally destroy my crystals (like my eyeglasses) in time measured in weeks.

The movement is also loose inside the case. it moves visibly when being wound.

I guess to summarise, I need a new bracelet, bezel, face with luminova, hands to match, crystal polishing, and probably a lot of new parts in the movement, if it is at all salvageable.
Sounds like the cost would be more than a good used one.

I guess due to the face parts, that it is a job for RWC and not an AD.

I even missed out on the Rolex Anchor. I think that they were still offered in '87, but my jeweller neglected to pass it on.

24 years without a battery change, or winding (most of the time) is remarkable, but the expense is not really justifyable, considering that there are many ways of telling time cheaper.
Marvels of engineering and other testaments to obsolete technology are available in your local museum for a modest fee.
Regular maintenance would have prevented this but the combined cost would have exceeded the original purchase price, at least with reference to these common entry level models.

With no dis-respect intended toward the brand, Expensive and Durable come to mind when thinking of Rolex. Unfortunately, Accuracy never enters the equation.

My only solace is in thinking that my AD sold me a fake.
You my friend are not worth fixing.
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 07:57 AM   #50
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Amen !
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2011, 08:40 AM   #51
WJGESQ
Banned

I will give you 250 dollars for it.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2012, 12:48 PM   #52
petee1997
"TRF" Member

To the OP with the porly maintained sub. There is hope. Four years ago I took my wife's TT Datejust for service at the AD. The watch was 21 years old at the time and was was no longer keeping correct time. Unfortunately it had never been serviced in 21 years. The AD asked me when the last time that my Air King Date had been serviced. I wasn't sure but it was at least 12 years. Both watches were sent to RSC in Toronto for estimates. We agreed to the repair costs on both watches. Nearly three months later we got the watches back totally refurbished and looking absolutely brand new. The total bill for both watches was $2900.00. This Xmas my AK was 30 years old and my wife's watch was 25years old. They both still look new and perform as a Rolex should. They are now going to be serviced every 5 to 7 years.
There is a happy ending to this story. This Xmas I bought Old What's Her Name a new WG Pearlmaster model 80319 and myself a new TT Blue Sub model 116613LB. The bad news is that I will not be wearing this one 30 years. My expiry date will come before then. In the meantime I will enjoy every minute I wear it, then it will go to one of my grandsons as will the AK. Unlike us poor humans, a Rolex can virtually go on forever and it's original owner will never be forgotten.
petee1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2012, 01:28 PM   #53
cajunron
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Maybe you might be better off with a Casio G-Shock.
Old 4 January 2012, 06:00 AM   #54
xhype
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II 16710
lmao lol funny wow
xhype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 06:37 AM   #55
Rsvrider
"TRF" Member

Watch: It cming frm above
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
I'll raise the offer. Two Seikos and a Swatch!
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"
Rsvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2012, 12:08 AM   #56
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
Trollish satire at its finest---something along the lines of "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift, but in the horological vein.
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2012, 12:25 AM   #57
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
makes the term,'a daily beater'...............
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2012, 08:02 AM   #58
Arcticboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP
Get it fixed or flip it on eBay. You'll be very surprised to find out how much you will get for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMP blog: http://speed. Sutterud.no

SMP blog
Arcticboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2012, 02:30 PM   #59
hatidua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it is actually that rare model #168000, made from that soft as butter 904L stainless. The bracelet pins seemed to dissolve on my wrist.
Suggestion: when trolling, try not to be quite as blatantly obvious in doing so
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 12:09 PM   #60
GDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 16610
Make sure you check the oil in your car.
GDK is offline   Reply With Quote