The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2021, 04:29 AM   #31
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Love the insight and writing of the second to last paragraph. Thanks OP.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 04:35 AM   #32
VegasBaby
Banned

I would have to say that the only part of your article I would take exception with was that, from my experience, from the mid-70s all through the 80s and into the early 90s, the Rolex yellow gold Day Date President was king. Growing up in Los Angeles everybody that was anybody and, even some that weren’t, wore that watch. There was a brief Breitling Chronomat chronograph frenzy in the early 90s as well.

Great ride up!
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 05:24 AM   #33
dwelling seas
"TRF" Member

thank you for the write up

excellent expression, first hand, of your own view and perspective
dwelling seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 12:15 PM   #34
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
Thanks.

It’s like people lining up to see a movie only playing at a single theater, for a block, then many blocks, then a mile, then many miles. The movie becomes so popular it veers into the abstract. Even if the film becomes degraded to the point of unwatchable or the projector breaks down, the line continues to grow, and for the rabid crowds, the point is no longer seeing the movie, but merely getting inside the cinema.

The cinema didn’t plan it. But they’re certainly happy to reap the box office rewards.
Enchanting read. Thank you.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 12:37 PM   #35
Greglaw
Banned

Very accurate assessment. Being 57 myself, I have watched the same thing happen over the years
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 01:14 PM   #36
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Great post and nice thread! I can remember a time where interesting perspectives and anecdotes were shared on TRF on a regular basis! I’ve only been on here about 5 years, lol.
Old 14 December 2021, 02:28 PM   #37
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby View Post
I would have to say that the only part of your article I would take exception with was that, from my experience, from the mid-70s all through the 80s and into the early 90s, the Rolex yellow gold Day Date President was king. Growing up in Los Angeles everybody that was anybody and, even some that weren’t, wore that watch. There was a brief Breitling Chronomat chronograph frenzy in the early 90s as well.

Great ride up!
However my understanding is, you had to be a mature “Dad” to wear a President back then. Sure it was king but you had to earn your stripes to carry it.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:33 PM   #38
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Born in the mid-70's and 80's TV in the Reagan era had frequent mentions of Rolex watches. I also fondly remember the awesome Rolex ads in National Geographic, which was pretty much in every waiting room ever back then. Between the two, I was hooked on the brand.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 04:09 PM   #39
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Magnificent

Quote:
Thanks.

It’s like people lining up to see a movie only playing at a single theater, for a block, then many blocks, then a mile, then many miles. The movie becomes so popular it veers into the abstract. Even if the film becomes degraded to the point of unwatchable or the projector breaks down, the line continues to grow, and for the rabid crowds, the point is no longer seeing the movie, but merely getting inside the cinema.

The cinema didn’t plan it. But they’re certainly happy to reap the box office rewards.
NYC Christmas time. I don’t know why I am queuing up but I’m excited as all.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 10:53 AM   #40
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Thanks for posting. I agree!!
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:47 PM   #41
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Great post. Very curious to see where we go from here

I’d imagine it would take a significant recession in stocks and housing to see the speculators and average joes pulling cash out of the watch market
Old 15 December 2021, 02:50 PM   #42
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

great insights and very well written, OP.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:53 PM   #43
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

I wonder what will be written in 10 years time about what's happened in between.....
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:12 PM   #44
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
One part of your story about American watches really hit home with me. In high school in the mid-sixties the space age watch that I adored was the Bulova Accutron. It had to be either the Astronaut or Space View. Some guy in my school had one and I lusted over it. Fast forward to 1970. I graduated from college and was taking a trip to Europe including Switzerland, the watch capital of the world. As soon as I crossed the border I started looking for an Accutron. Store after store nothing. On my last day in Zürich I started down the Bahnhofstrasse and stopped at most of the stores including Bucherers. The last store at the far end of the street was Chronometrie Beyer. My last stop. No Accutron but there two very pretty and almost identical watches in the case; a Rolex Submariner and its twin brother, a Tudor Submariner. The Rolex was $135 and the Tudor was $90. Money was tight and I was close to buying the Tudor but I could not stand the "Snowflake" hour hand. I took the Rolex. It wasn't until much later that I realized the Bulova was made in New York. Used Accutrons are now about $250-$400, my 5513 a little more. A very lucky decision. PS. I still can't stand the snowflake hands.
The Bulova facility in Queens, NY in the 1970s used to host wheelchair track meets in their parking lot. I used to work these events with my father and the other Catholic HS track officials who volunteered their time in exchange for a cold cuts & potato salad lunch and a keg of cold beer. I recall many radio and TV ads for the Accutron, in which they touted their tuning fork movement as the most accurate watch in the world.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:09 PM   #45
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The evolution of Rolex’s idolatry.

Quote:
The pool of people who can afford to play the vintage game grows smaller each year. So they turn to modern Rolex. And they’re younger than their collector ancestors. And comparatively wealthier.

/random thoughts

I completely resonate with this, not sure about the wealthy part lol. Vintage is absolutely my passion. first Rolex was a 1680, that i had to sell 10 years ago at 25 because i needed the money. I buy modern Rolex, but i collect vintage. I currently have a modern 126610, and a black ceramic Daytona on the way. After that, I’m done for a while, maybe forever with modern. I have a list of vintage Rolex that i have wanted to buy but didn’t really have the means until recently. The issue for me is the price points keep climbing, getting further and further out of reach of what’s within my means.

My dream watches 6263/6265 are now well out of reach and they won’t be retreating to my budgets. I find vintage much more exciting than the modern watches. Each one is different! My idea now is a vintage counterpart to my modern watches, starting with the sub, then the Daytona, and maybe a vintage Tudor sub to go with my BB58. I imagine those three purchases will keep me busy for a number of years. I want to find the perfect one for me, that’s the coolest part about vintage. I can find the perfect 1675 with a faded Pepsi insert. Or the perfect creamy plots in a 5513.

I love modern Rolex but they are all perfect. They don’t patina, and they really are all the same. My 6 digit sub is the same as yours. But vintage is where it gets really exciting. Matte dials, faded inserts, that’s what gets me excited.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 07:40 PM   #46
rkny
"TRF" Member

A great read for those interested…

https://www.acollectedman.com/blogs/...tch-collecting
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote