The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 November 2023, 10:39 PM   #1
kaelao
"TRF" Member

Got the call! But need some advice...

Hi everyone, got the call (well text!) for the blue AP Offshore Diver that I put my name down for - have expressed my interest on this one + the 15500 ST (white) over the past few months as my local AP House. My preference has always been for the 15500 ST but know that one is tough as a first watch.

Feeling on the fence about the diver because it does wear a little large on me. But at the same time I do want to build my portfolio with AP for the long term and alot of folks have said this watch is a good starting point.

Would love advice from people who have perhaps been in the same boat / making the same decision

Thanks all who have helped me on my journey to acquire my first AP piece :)))
kaelao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:12 PM   #2
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

If you turn down that Diver I think you can kiss goodbye to any hope of that 15500ST from that AP house, you have to play the game
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:19 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If the watch works for you then why not pick it up and enjoy it. A collection typically has multiple watches in it and this can be the first of several in you collecting journey for AP. Go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:20 PM   #4
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

If you want to build a portfolio with AP, get the diver since you requested it anyway. I love the offshores/divers, and yes they are large. But you’ll have to try it in person to really form a view on fit.
If you just want the RO, go grey.

With the AP boutiques, you won’t be able to have a portfolio of just in-demand ROs.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:21 PM   #5
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Is it the 37 mm 15550ST or the 41 mm 15510ST that you’re considering as an alternative OP?

If I’m not mistaken, the 15500 you’ve mentioned, is the discontinued 41 mm RO and in my view the 41 mm RO do not wear considerably smaller than the Diver that you’ve been offered.

From all I’ve read, I don’t believe that AP London generally need you to buy watch A to get watch B, however I doubt turning down a watch you’ve asked for would go down well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:35 PM   #6
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

Buy something you like. Have you seen the steel code 11.59 ?
Have you tried the 41 mm RO ? Maybe you will find it big on your wrist and would like to go for a 38 or a 37 mm Royal Oak wich could be easyer to get as a first piece than a 41mm.
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:38 PM   #7
kaelao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
Is it the 37 mm 15550ST or the 41 mm 15510ST that you’re considering as an alternative OP?

If I’m not mistaken, the 15500 you’ve mentioned, is the discontinued 41 mm RO and in my view the 41 mm RO do not wear considerably smaller than the Diver that you’ve been offered.

From all I’ve read, I don’t believe that AP London generally need you to buy watch A to get watch B, however I doubt turning down a watch you’ve asked for would go down well.

My bad, I meant the 15510ST :) What premium does a white 15510ST go for the grey market nowadays?
Old 5 November 2023, 11:40 PM   #8
kaelao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyLuck View Post
Buy something you like. Have you seen the steel code 11.59 ?
Have you tried the 41 mm RO ? Maybe you will find it big on your wrist and would like to go for a 38 or a 37 mm Royal Oak wich could be easyer to get as a first piece than a 41mm.
I have checked out the steel CODEs, they're not for me unfortunately in terms of style - I think a Diver will be closer to what I'm looking for vs. a CODE. 37mm for RO wears too small on me 41mm is OK.

I think slightly issue with the diver for me is how thick the body & large the lugs are but maybe is something to just get used to. I have a Rolex black no-date 41mm sub so it actually shouldn't be all that different
Old 5 November 2023, 11:46 PM   #9
kaelao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
If you want to build a portfolio with AP, get the diver since you requested it anyway. I love the offshores/divers, and yes they are large. But you’ll have to try it in person to really form a view on fit.
If you just want the RO, go grey.

With the AP boutiques, you won’t be able to have a portfolio of just in-demand ROs.
Thanks! Going in on Tuesday to try it on - have only seen the khaki green Diver in the flesh. Is it generally considered poor form to turn down a watch after you have expressed interest and subsequently got a call for it?
Old 6 November 2023, 12:06 AM   #10
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelao View Post
My bad, I meant the 15510ST :) What premium does a white 15510ST go for the grey market nowadays?

We’re in a similar situation then OP! I’ve been patiently waiting for a silver/white dial 15510 for maybe 12-18 months now and just recently added the grey driver to my wish list. I was surprised at how well the diver fits my relatively small wrist.

I have been honest with AP London, in that I’d prefer the RO to be my first piece, as I’ve wanted one for much longer than my interest in the diver has existed.

Regarding secondary prices, the diver can be had used under list, whereas I’ve only ever seen the RO over list. Given the amounts of money involved, it’s probably best to really try and focus on why you want and to ensure you’re happy with whatever you purchase. Clearly, if your looking to buy multiple pieces then this might be less of an issue.

Excited for you. Below are my wrist shots, on a “small” 6.25-6.5” wrist, just because every thread needs photos, right!?

Good luck on Tuesday

ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 12:16 AM   #11
rcwatchcollector
Banned

Got the call! But need some advice...

The diver is an amazing watch. You won’t wear the submariner again. Get it. It wears extremely well. Doesn’t seem too big.

rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 12:36 AM   #12
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
If you turn down that Diver I think you can kiss goodbye to any hope of that 15500ST from that AP house, you have to play the game
^^^This. As a new buyer Only put something on your list that you absolutely 100% are ready to buy. if you want the 15510ST then You should go down to the AP House and buy the diver, it's a beautiful piece.

Regarding size, there are no small sports model AP's LOL!

Quote:
They're about low $30s which isn't much more than buying retail+tax. If you don't want the diver and you really don't want future allocations, then 100% go aftermarket.
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 02:49 AM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I’m a blue diver owner and love it, it’s the model I actually like most (non-grand comp or skeleton). I’m a huge diver fan and AP is king of the hill, for me.

Seems like you don’t like Code or ROO, so what’s your relationship end game? If you are only going to buy a RO or ROC, then it would be much cheaper to go gray… Even $10-15k premium is easier to swallow than $30k + tax… since they don’t want you flipping it will be expected to maintain the non-wanted piece(s) for a couple years or the relationship sours.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 03:09 AM   #14
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We’re in a similar situation then OP! I’ve been patiently waiting for a silver/white dial 15510 for maybe 12-18 months now and just recently added the grey driver to my wish list. I was surprised at how well the diver fits my relatively small wrist.

I have been honest with AP London, in that I’d prefer the RO to be my first piece, as I’ve wanted one for much longer than my interest in the diver has existed.

Regarding secondary prices, the diver can be had used under list, whereas I’ve only ever seen the RO over list. Given the amounts of money involved, it’s probably best to really try and focus on why you want and to ensure you’re happy with whatever you purchase. Clearly, if your looking to buy multiple pieces then this might be less of an issue.

Excited for you. Below are my wrist shots, on a “small” 6.25-6.5” wrist, just because every thread needs photos, right!?

Good luck on Tuesday

Great photos for the thread.

I’m of the option that while larger, the diver “wears smaller “ due to the rubber strap and smaller dial aperture.

The blue is really good looking.

..Explorer & Spring Diver - I’m just here for the photos..
matthew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 03:09 AM   #15
kaelao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
I’m a blue diver owner and love it, it’s the model I actually like most (non-grand comp or skeleton). I’m a huge diver fan and AP is king of the hill, for me.

Seems like you don’t like Code or ROO, so what’s your relationship end game? If you are only going to buy a RO or ROC, then it would be much cheaper to go gray… Even $10-15k premium is easier to swallow than $30k + tax… since they don’t want you flipping it will be expected to maintain the non-wanted piece(s) for a couple years or the relationship sours.
I think for me I’m really looking to build a collection of RO, ROC & ROO over time; I guess at the end of the day it’s just the sequencing of the purchase. As a first AP, the 15510 ST felt more of a slam dunk vs the Diver. But I have heard that people initially find it too large but fall in love with it once it’s on wrist
Old 6 November 2023, 03:10 AM   #16
kaelao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew P View Post
Great photos for the thread.

I’m of the option that while larger, the diver “wears smaller “ due to the rubber strap and smaller dial aperture.

The blue is really good looking.

..Explorer & Spring Diver - I’m just here for the photos..
Thank you!!! Stunning watches :) will keep you posted on how it goes
Old 6 November 2023, 03:12 AM   #17
kaelao
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good luck on Tuesday

Thank you!! stunning watches, will keep you posted on how Tuesday goes
Old 6 November 2023, 03:36 AM   #18
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Personally based on what you’ve said I’d buy it. You requested that as a piece and to be fair AP delivered and delivered fairly quickly it sounds like, if especially if you’d only shown interest a few months back. I’d imagine the RO would be a lot longer wait (fairly sure I’ve seen posts here recently where people have waited 2/3 years). It starts building your relationship.

That said any AP isn’t small change, it’s your money and you must spend it how you see fit.

Good luck and hopefully see your incoming in a couple of days :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 03:47 AM   #19
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Personally based on what you’ve said I’d buy it. You requested that as a piece and to be fair AP delivered and delivered fairly quickly it sounds like, if especially if you’d only shown interest a few months back. I’d imagine the RO would be a lot longer wait (fairly sure I’ve seen posts here recently where people have waited 2/3 years). It starts building your relationship.

That said any AP isn’t small change, it’s your money and you must spend it how you see fit.

Good luck and hopefully see your incoming in a couple of days :-)
I agree. Just know if you turn this down after requesting this, you may be hard pressed to get a piece.

If you’re set on a select few watches, may make sense to go grey
Old 6 November 2023, 06:08 AM   #20
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon5

Quote:
Why would this be important to you?
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 06:26 AM   #21
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Below are my wrist shots, on a “small” 6.25-6.5” wrist, just because every thread needs photos, right!?
Looks perfect on you, both do. And I sure in reality even better. Smaller wouldn't be nicer. On the contrary.
Old 6 November 2023, 06:54 AM   #22
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I can only speak from my own experience with my boutique. 1st of all. I don't own any APs yet. But ive been in touch the boutique thru 2 different SAs. I've turned down ROO 43mm black dial. Blue diver and green diver with both SAs. Waiting on grey 38mm ROC as my 1st or 37mm RO for either me or wife . New SA said it'd happen soon during my in person appointment last week. So if you are not sure on a piece even if you asked for it. Don't be afraid to tell them. AP is more afraid of you buying something you don't like and sell almost right after then you turning a piecr down.
Old 6 November 2023, 08:07 AM   #23
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Love my diver. It’s a great watch like others have said. Does run big on my 6.75 wrist, but I have long arms and I’m tall so you should take that into account as well to determine overall “fit” and “sizing”

I agree with what others have said. If you asked for a watch and turn it down, it will not look great for you. Don’t ask for anything you don’t actually know you want.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 08:58 AM   #24
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
I can only speak from my own experience with my boutique. 1st of all. I don't own any APs yet. But ive been in touch the boutique thru 2 different SAs. I've turned down ROO 43mm black dial. Blue diver and green diver with both SAs. Waiting on grey 38mm ROC as my 1st or 37mm RO for either me or wife . New SA said it'd happen soon during my in person appointment last week. So if you are not sure on a piece even if you asked for it. Don't be afraid to tell them. AP is more afraid of you buying something you don't like and sell almost right after then you turning a piecr down.
did you express interest in the ROOs? it's different if you did and turn it down vs if you didn't. if you express interest in something and get offered it and turn it down it's just a bad look
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 09:17 AM   #25
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Why would this be important to you?

Because lots of members are suggesting he just buy grey if that’s the only watch he really wants. Hope the AP police is ok with that.
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 09:59 AM   #26
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
did you express interest in the ROOs? it's different if you did and turn it down vs if you didn't. if you express interest in something and get offered it and turn it down it's just a bad look

Yes and no. I feel like AP does it different than Rolex. Both of the AP SAs I've dealt with ask me to put as many pieces possible in my request. I had expressed the ones I want most and something I'd consider vs Rolex only wants me to work on the next one only. At my boutique they fired everyone somewhere between Feb till now. Which. Explained why I got ghosted. So now My most currently AP SA is very straightforward on which ones I could get as my first or wife's 1st. He recommended divers and ROOs. For some reason he knew I'm not into codes. He just made a comment about codes. I let him know they are in my profile by my previous sales That I might consider probably decline. He said he will advocate for me for 37mm ROs and 38mm ROC. Def no 41mm ROs or ROCs as 1st pieces. My appointment was for 30mims. We chatted for almost 2 hours.
Old 6 November 2023, 10:05 AM   #27
rcwatchcollector
Banned

Just get it. The diver is an amazing piece.

rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 11:24 AM   #28
TopherMins
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM

Definitely go for it. They are great.

TopherMins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 01:11 PM   #29
HurricaneHarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherMins View Post

Definitely go for it. They are great.

You’ve got a great AP collection!

HurricaneHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 03:38 PM   #30
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

You have to pay to play... But at the same time purchase the watch only if you really love it.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote