The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 November 2008, 02:32 PM   #1
sbakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRolex View Post
Sorry, but you are asking things that are not related to the task at hand.

Are we talking about diamonds here? No... So you point is moot.

You arguing about sand paper scratching a synthetic Sapphire crystal has no comparison to a nice and extremely soft plastic bristle toothbrush scratching metal which is nonsense.

Plastic CANNOT SCRATCH METAL. Something embedded in it can, but plastic itself scratching metal? Comon now, are you seriously trying to push that opinion across?

I'd hate to see what it would be doing to your teeth. I don't think they make toothbrushes that scour your teeth and remove tooth enamel.
My situation is entirely analogous: I am describing how a softer material can still cause scratches in a harder material. I am not sure why you keep trying to dismiss my thought experiment.

In fact, it is your situation that is not relevant: tooth enamel has a highly irregular surface that unevenly reflects light. On such a microscopically coarse surface, a few additional scratches will neither harm functionality nor appearance. This is totally different from a highly polished gold surface that will show very fine scratches quite readily. Again, we are talking about scratches that may be as little as microns deep. At best, teeth have mineralization ridges in the order of tens, if not even up to 100 microns or more.

By your logic, why not use copper wire (3 Mohs) to brush your teeth (4-5 Mohs)? Copper wire is softer, so it should not scratch your teeth, right?

My initial point was that nothing is scratchproof and that we have to consider factors (such as point stresses) OTHER THAN hardness in assessing whether scratches will form.

Regardless...your watch is your's, and my watch is mine. We can each do what we feel like as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

SNB
sbakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 02:57 PM   #2
CanuckRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakar View Post
My situation is entirely analogous: I am describing how a softer material can still cause scratches in a harder material. I am not sure why you keep trying to dismiss my thought experiment.

In fact, it is your situation that is not relevant: tooth enamel has a highly irregular surface that unevenly reflects light. On such a microscopically coarse surface, a few additional scratches will neither harm functionality nor appearance. This is totally different from a highly polished gold surface that will show very fine scratches quite readily. Again, we are talking about scratches that may be as little as microns deep. At best, teeth have mineralization ridges in the order of tens, if not even up to 100 microns or more.

By your logic, why not use copper wire (3 Mohs) to brush your teeth (4-5 Mohs)? Copper wire is softer, so it should not scratch your teeth, right?

My initial point was that nothing is scratchproof and that we have to consider factors (such as point stresses) OTHER THAN hardness in assessing whether scratches will form.

Regardless...your watch is your's, and my watch is mine. We can each do what we feel like as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

SNB
I am not going to argue the moh's scale with you seeing what you are bringing up are outside conjecture based on some selected examples you bring to the table to defer the topic at hand.

the topic at hand is, "You cannot scratch you watch with a soft plastic toothbrush." PERIOD

Plastic is softer than metal, PERIOD

Therefore it cannot directly scratch any metal. If that was the case, we could use a sharp ruler to cut a block of steel or gold which is just nonsense.
CanuckRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 03:20 PM   #3
sbakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRolex View Post
I am not going to argue the moh's scale with you seeing what you are bringing up are outside conjecture based on some selected examples you bring to the table to defer the topic at hand.

the topic at hand is, "You cannot scratch you watch with a soft plastic toothbrush." PERIOD

Plastic is softer than metal, PERIOD

Therefore it cannot directly scratch any metal. If that was the case, we could use a sharp ruler to cut a block of steel or gold which is just nonsense.
It appears that you are avoiding discussing the Mohs scale for whatever reason...I reread your posts to see who first brought up outside examples of biological materials such as teeth!

You seriously need to lay off the coffee and take a chill pill!

SNB
sbakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 05:30 PM   #4
entropydave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakar View Post
It appears that you are avoiding discussing the Mohs scale for whatever reason...I reread your posts to see who first brought up outside examples of biological materials such as teeth!

You seriously need to lay off the coffee and take a chill pill!

SNB
Yeah, but Canuck is 100% right. And diamond can cut diamond for 2 reasons - firstly, the Mohs number varies according to the crystal plane - it is slighyly softer with the grain than across it, also, they are of equal hardness hence they can cut each other.
Let's get real here - we don't use copper wire to clean our teeth because it is unpleasant to do!, plus the springiness in the material will flick off pieces of enamel!

Of course you can use nylon toothbrushes to clean your bloody watch!
entropydave is offline   Reply With Quote