The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2015, 01:50 AM   #151
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Looking at the watches, I don't get the impression that either brand is trying to copy the other in any way. Styling is, by and large, totally different. Omega uses mostly display backs now and has a decorated movement; Rolex largely doesn't. Omega is focusing on fully ceramic cases; Rolex doesn't make them. Omega is focusing on antimagnetic tech and coaxial escapements; Rolex is not. Omega releases new models at a relatively fast pace; Rolex is glacial by comparison. Omega likes commemorating events with limited editions; Rolex does not. Omega mixes vintage inspired designs with the totally new; Rolex focuses on refining the same vintage designs it's used for decades.

Aside from their incidentally being the two biggest names in luxury watches, why are people trying so hard to see these brands in terms of each other?
Good post the problem is the fanboys ruining all the fun.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 02:02 AM   #152
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
There will always be people who buy into the Brand A is better than Brand B nonsense. I have a couple Rolexes, a couple Omegas, and other watches from various brands. I say just buy what you like and don't listen to brand fan boys. BTW, the blue AT is an amazing watch. Wearing it today as a matter of fact.

WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 02:15 AM   #153
psv
"TRF" Member

Buy what YOU like. It is as simple as that.

Personally, I like some Omega models a lot, but I cannot stand some other designs, nor half of their marketing tricks, like 99 different "limited" versions of various Speedmasters, some color combinations, and don't get me started on James Bond watches... They are all over the place - some like that "variety", I find the lets-offer-everything-business-model-and-see-what-sticks a bit confusing.

Lastly, I think Omega is trying too hard achieve brand parity with Rolex, especially when it comes to pricing. $9,000 for a Sea Master 300 in titanium? Come on...
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 02:24 AM   #154
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
Own both, love both.
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 02:32 AM   #155
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Looking at the watches, I don't get the impression that either brand is trying to copy the other in any way. Styling is, by and large, totally different. Omega uses mostly display backs now and has a decorated movement; Rolex largely doesn't. Omega is focusing on fully ceramic cases; Rolex doesn't make them. Omega is focusing on antimagnetic tech and coaxial escapements; Rolex is not. Omega releases new models at a relatively fast pace; Rolex is glacial by comparison. Omega likes commemorating events with limited editions; Rolex does not. Omega mixes vintage inspired designs with the totally new; Rolex focuses on refining the same vintage designs it's used for decades.

Aside from their incidentally being the two biggest names in luxury watches, why are people trying so hard to see these brands in terms of each other?
That's a great post.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 04:30 AM   #156
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

There are a lot of members here who own both brands, myself included. Horologically speaking there is a lot to be said of Omegas just as there is with Rolex. Now, no question Rolex has more snob appeal and status conveyance but both brands represent quality watchmaking. My Omegas get their fair share of wrist time. I don't consider them poor step children to my Rolex pieces.

Bottom line is I buy what I like.
Old 26 March 2015, 12:24 PM   #157
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Choosing to buy an Omega is ok...

However, choosing to buy an Omega over a quality ROLEX is NOT the BEST move.
Don't you ever tire of churning out this fanboyish drivel? Sheesh, like a broken record you are....
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 12:55 PM   #158
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Don't you ever tire of churning out this fanboyish drivel? Sheesh, like a broken record you are....
Let's keep it civil. One may not agree with his opinion, it is as valid as anyone else's. Just my 2 cents.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 01:07 PM   #159
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
If you look at his posting history, basically 90% of what he posts is the same thing, it's just getting old. There are other good brands out there besides Rolex, and Omega is one of them. IWC and Panerai (which if you remove "Omega" from his post and insert those brands in it you'd have other posts of his) are also others.

It's one thing to state personal opinion, it's a bit different to act as though subjective opinions are facts.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 02:06 PM   #160
andrewd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
Ummm....you can walk into an Omega boutique and they will regulate it right there in front of you.
Will Rolex do this?
How long would that take?
I walked into an Omega boutique and they sent my brand new watch away for service which takes 8 weeks!!! No need to do this with my Rolex because my timegrapher says it is running at 0secs per day, in other words perfectly!

I appreciate that a bit of luck is involved and my experience is not statistically significant, however it does not give me a warm feeling about Omega quality control. I still love the watch however.
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 05:44 PM   #161
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Could not answer this question or have a good answer for it...
Maybe if they came out with something that I'd absolutely die for.
Omega Seamaster pro was the first luxury watch I bought over 10 years ago, I flipped it for a Rolex Sub within a year or two and have not gone back to Omega since, and don't find a good reason to.
Flirted with the idea to get a Speedy a while back but thought to myself will it get much wrist time, and there went the idea.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 08:12 PM   #162
Robert Cross
Banned

Watch: ..the Pretty Girls
Icon12

I wasn't shopping, I saw it, I liked it, I bought it, simple as that.

Bob
Robert Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 11:30 PM   #163
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I think another reason is that the perception is often that people buying Rolex watches know nothing about watches.

They know nothing about watches and simply want a status symbol which comes off making them look like an idiot.

Granted that is clearly no one in this forum. But as stated before most watch purchases are made by non-wis type.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 11:40 PM   #164
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Watch brands are not your problem, so-called friends that would ask such a question are.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2015, 12:46 PM   #165
phranxinatra
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi, Sub41 date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggy P View Post
This is just one example of many... This watch is roughly $7,500 brand new...then you walk out of the AD to this...terrible. This is why people ask, "Why didn't you buy a Rolex?"
You confuse the older and the newer PO Chronos. The $7500 price is for the ceramic PO 9300. The 2210.50 was way cheaper. A few years ago in the grey market you could buy it for ~$4000 brand new. So taking this into consideration the $4230 is not a bad price. FYI last year I sold my 2201.50 PO after 5 years of ownership for the same price I bought brand new (of course grey market). Today I could sell it $100-150 maybe 200 more. I don't know how it's in the States, but here in Europe used market Omega prices are going uphill these days.
phranxinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2015, 04:48 PM   #166
presario
"TRF" Member

Quote:

One of the best and most accurate statements regarding the current state of both brands.
Old 28 March 2015, 03:17 AM   #167
jmsrolls
Banned

I've owned several Rolex watches beginning with this one:

but there is nothing in the current Rolex lineup that "trips my trigger".

As a matter of fact with the arrival of my Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial, my last Rolex (polar 216570) will soon be finding another home and my collection will be 100% Omega.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 06:16 AM   #168
Martylaa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Because Rolex don't make these...

Old 28 March 2015, 01:44 PM   #169
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.2 View Post
they are both good... I own and enjoy both
+ 1
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 01:15 AM   #170
Ageing Orphan
"TRF" Member

I like both Omega & Rolex. I own an Omega Seamaster Professional 300m ceramic at the moment and I have made an appointment with my AD to go in to see and try on a Rolex 114060 no-date Submariner. I used to own an Omega Planet Ocean (45.5mm-8500) (in my sig photo below) but that turned out to be too heavy for me so it was sold after a while.

The above statement is that both brands are excellent and everyone should enjoy both !!
Ageing Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 03:47 AM   #171
wildboar
"TRF" Member

Because I buy watches that I like and wants to wear, not because they have resale value (although one of the biggest hits I took was on DSSD that was hard to sell), or great branding or whatever. I had rolexes, omegas, tons of micro brands and whatever I found attractive. That is because I love watches and committing to only one brand would mean that I do not care about watch but brand.

And that is ok for folks that want a statement (look, I can buy expensive watch) but here in Switzerland one watch is not enough to make statement when really rich folks are coming from middle east with really exotic cars and wearing tourbillons. So lets enjoy in mechanical marvels and designs and leave branding to general population that most often does not have a clue what they are buying as long as it is famous.
wildboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2015, 03:39 AM   #172
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggy P View Post
Buying watches at this level, I deal with AD's, not "trusted sellers"... Guys will do anything to shave a few bucks. If you have to do that to get a luxury timepiece, maybe you can't truly afford one yet...
That's one of the most ridiculous lines of thinking I've come across. If you buy a loaf of bread on sale as opposed to going to the store next door where it's full price, maybe you truly can't afford bread.

Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to throw it away.

As a sidenote. I prefer my PO 8500 to my Sub any day of the week.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2015, 11:19 AM   #173
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

My Hesalite Speedy Pro should be here tomorrow, and will share wrist time with my TT Blue sunburst Rolex. They are both great brands.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2015, 12:27 PM   #174
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Mmmmm Railmaster
Old 10 April 2015, 01:47 AM   #175
mattpeyton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub C
Gibson VS Fender....

Canon VS Nikon

Chevy VS Ford

Cherry pie VS Apple Pie.

I come from a Rolex family. Grandfather worked on the ad business in the UK in the 1950s, Dad wore (and bequeathed) a Cosmograph, I worked on the ad business at JWT in the 1990s, and now wear a Megacase Sub every day. However, the call of the 007 is strong. Prob would get an IWC Top Gun first tho.... just me.....
mattpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 01:52 AM   #176
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Next years James Bond will wear an iWatch. Progress.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 01:53 AM   #177
mattpeyton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub C
Or.... http://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-23292465103001.html
mattpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 04:24 AM   #178
Marine1981
"TRF" Member

Why get an Omega if you can Afford a Rolex..

At the end of the day, it's about putting the watch on and loving it. I buy watches based on it giving me the feeling that it's gonna last. I've had far too many flips, some cheap, some not so cheap. I've had my PO C for 4 months and couldn't see myself parting with it. Same as with my superocean. These are watches that will go to my children some day (whenever I have em). The new OP is nice, and could be a nice long term watch, but the blue teak AT is also very nice. I travel a lot with my wife and the ability to move the hour hand without disturbing the seconds hand and it not having a gmt hand to clutter the dial was a big win for me. Also my PO is dead nuts accurate. But again, it's what sings to you that will ultimately be the deciding factor, just don't buy it because it says rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marine1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 05:03 AM   #179
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I get a watch because I like it. But at a certain price I expect quality and value so there are a limited number of companies who produce watches I will consider. Given that I own two of them, Omega is certainly on that list.
Old 13 April 2015, 02:35 AM   #180
Shef
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/Speedy
As a watchmaker who has experience working on both brands, quite frankly, you pay for what you get with Rolex. Their movements are designed so well and the quality of a 3135 vs 8500, as a whole, is apparent. As a sidenote, I own both a Speedmaster and Datejust. The Speedmaster will always have a place in my rotation because of it's history and timelessness, but Rolex is the better watchmaking brand. Dollar for dollar, since you can usually get an Omega cheaper, they are pretty equal IMHO so buy what you like.
Shef is offline   Reply With Quote