The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 October 2010, 03:29 AM   #1
MTG1963
"TRF" Member

Rolex Air-King-Date

What is the best way to tell if a Rolex is real?
I came across an Air-King-Date that has recently gone through some servicing. Is there anything that I should seriously be looking at to make sure that this is a real Rolex?
MTG1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 03:35 AM   #2
roger0770
Banned

Watch: A Few
i didn't know the air-king has a date...
roger0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 03:48 AM   #3
snog
"TRF" Member

there you go then-sorted,it's a fake it has a date
snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 03:56 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTG1963 View Post
What is the best way to tell if a Rolex is real?
I came across an Air-King-Date that has recently gone through some servicing. Is there anything that I should seriously be looking at to make sure that this is a real Rolex?
Well not many fake Airking dates around today but you could get the back off and check the movement. And today many Airking models are now becoming collectible especially the Airking dates especially the red date roulette type.Now before WW11 Rolex was always popular with the armed forces in the UK,now old Hans being a good business man saw there was a market for a slightly bigger watch.Now watches at these times were quite small 30m and under were the average size.Now Rolex started producing 33m models under the names of Air Lion,Air Tiger,Air Giant and the Air king.They all used a 15 jewel manual wind movement,then came in S.steel even a TT plus all gold but mainly then 9ct.And were in production from the mid 1940s to early 1950s when they were all dropped,except for the Airking.Now over the next few years the Air king gained a auto movement and now the same size as OP,and some of the most sort after Airkings now are models like the 1960s 5504 with the honeycombed dial that type of dial was a Rolex first.Now the first Airking date arrived on the scene late 1960s Ref 5700 and were only sold in the then Commonwealth countries like Canada and the UK.Now they made a 5700n Explorer Date but that was only sold in the USA.Later on in the 1970s the 5701 Airking dates had the cal.1525/35 movements,and they made a TT version of the 5701 quite rare not many of those around, but again made for the Canadian only market but the Airking date faded out of production in the 1980s. IMO a shame the Airking has quite a lot of history, and IMHO now a very underrated watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger0770 View Post
i didn't know the air-king has a date...
Quote:
Originally Posted by snog View Post
there you go then-sorted,it's a fake it has a date
Might I suggest you both try and research a bit of the history on Rolex watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:05 AM   #5
snog
"TRF" Member

lol I was following Roger's lead, Roger mate you let me down just gos to show post count means not much.
Old 24 October 2010, 05:16 AM   #6
MTG1963
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well not many fake Airking dates around today but you could get the back off and check the movement. And today many Airking models are now becoming collectible especially the Airking dates especially the red date roulette type.Now before WW11 Rolex was always popular with the armed forces in the UK,now old Hans being a good business man saw there was a market for a slightly bigger watch.Now watches at these times were quite small 30m and under were the average size.Now Rolex started producing 33m models under the names of Air Lion,Air Tiger,Air Giant and the Air king.They all used a 15 jewel manual wind movement,then came in S.steel even a TT plus all gold but mainly then 9ct.And were in production from the mid 1940s to early 1950s when they were all dropped,except for the Airking.Now over the next few years the Air king gained a auto movement and now the same size as OP,and some of the most sort after Airkings now are models like the 1960s 5504 with the honeycombed dial that type of dial was a Rolex first.Now the first Airking date arrived on the scene late 1960s Ref 5700 and were only sold in the then Commonwealth countries like Canada and the UK.Now they made a 5700n Explorer Date but that was only sold in the USA.Later on in the 1970s the 5701 Airking dates had the cal.1525/35 movements,and they made a TT version of the 5701 quite rare not many of those around, but again made for the Canadian only market but the Airking date faded out of production in the 1980s. IMO a shame the Airking has quite a lot of history, and IMHO now a very underrated watch.

Might I suggest you both try and research a bit of the history on Rolex watches.

Thanks for all the info...was a big help...but would you be able to tell me what dial (face) the Air King Date come in? The particular one I am looking at is a champagne dial with gold bars and the date on the 3 and I have seen it online in a white dial with gold bars and the date on the 3. Would it be wise to change the dial of the Air King Date? If so, what precautions should I be taking? I have also read up on the letter that appears on the dial should be authentic and should read in bold as ROLEX (then below) OYSTER PERPETUAL then below in (upper and lower case) Air-King-Date and below the Arms is will read PRECISION. In your opinion does this look like an authentic Rolex Air-King-Date?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold rolex.jpg (77.9 KB, 395 views)
Old 24 October 2010, 05:30 AM   #7
MTG1963
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info...very informative.
I was also wondering what colour (face) dial the Air-King-Date came in. I am currently looking at a champagne colour dial face and I was wondering if it came in either a white or silver face as well? Would you consider changing the face of a Air-King-Date and if so what should I consider or not consider when doing so? I also read to be careful as there are alot of non authentic Rolex Air-King-Date watches out there and it has something to do on how the lettering is on the dial of the watch.
Any suggestions?
Old 24 October 2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
My dad has an Air King date - I love it!
Old 24 October 2010, 10:18 AM   #9
level

Quote:
Thanks for the info...very informative.
I was also wondering what colour (face) dial the Air-King-Date came in. I am currently looking at a champagne colour dial face and I was wondering if it came in either a white or silver face as well? Would you consider changing the face of a Air-King-Date and if so what should I consider or not consider when doing so? I also read to be careful as there are alot of non authentic Rolex Air-King-Date watches out there and it has something to do on how the lettering is on the dial of the watch.
Any suggestions?
I would not change the dial but I have seen them with a white or silver dial. Do you know the serial number and reference number.
level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 11:38 AM   #10
MTG1963
"TRF" Member

I just perfer it with either the white or silver dial...the one I've seen has a champagne dial...not my first pick...not sure what to do as opportunities like this doesn't come around to often. Not even sure what dollar value they are going for.
There is a serial number but I don't have it with me I know that there is the original certificate for the watch as well. Not sure if i should take my chance and just wait it out and get what I really or just jump at the opportunity. :(
Old 24 October 2010, 12:10 PM   #11
ibramr
"TRF" Member

Airking Date used to exist, and I do have one that was acquired new in 1982 while studying in England at that time. It is 34mm, and is identical in look and design to the Precision 6694 (but the movement is automatic). I will attempt to post a picture shortly. Lovely watch...
ibramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2010, 02:50 AM   #12
MTG1963
"TRF" Member

I would love to see a picture of your watch.
Although, I am still wondering if I should consider changing the dial on the watch In your experience would you even consider purchasing a refurbished Rolex and what should I be looking at? Is there really much difference in cost from a refurbish Rolex Air King Date to a new Air King?
Any suggestions !!!
Old 25 October 2010, 02:57 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Although, I am still wondering if I should consider changing the dial on the watch In your experience would you even consider purchasing a refurbished Rolex and what should I be looking at? Is there really much difference in cost from a refurbish Rolex Air King Date to a new Air King?
Any suggestions !!!
Myself would leave it all original and quite rare now the TT models made only for the Canadian market.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2010, 02:58 AM   #14
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any suggestions !!!
I would think the pricing would be similar,what you should look out for when buying a vintage watch is not the watch but the seller,you really do "buy" the seller and not the watch when it comes to vintage,unless your willing to study long and hard.
Old 6 July 2011, 03:07 AM   #15
silvy72
"TRF" Member

do you have a genuine dial (no reprinted) for an rolex air king date reference 5700 year 1959 ? thank you
silvy72 is offline   Reply With Quote