The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2011, 01:50 AM   #1
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
Why do people buy a Submariner (116610) over a GMT-Master (116710)

I bought my first Rolex a couple months ago (datejust) and I am allready itching for my next Rolex. I wanted a more sporty watch like the Explorer 2 White face or if I go black face it will be a GMT-Master 2 (116710) My question is that I see alot more people buying the Submariner (116610) instead of the GMT. The 2 watches seem like they are the same to me (but i am no pro by any means)
but the GMT has a extra feature (the 2nd time zone or 24 hour time). Can someone please explain to me why you did or would or did pick the sub over the
GMT? Is there something I am missing or do not see that would make the Sub a better watch then the GMT or why it is more popular? I apologize if this is a stupid question but I do not understand why the SUB gets alot more praise and credit then the GMT.

Thank you..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Both watches are "icons"........the sub is a bit of a stronger & more popular "icon"......
Old 14 May 2011, 02:01 AM   #3
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Both classics, but, the Sub has tool oriented credentials the GMT doesn't. 3 times more water resistance I believe. I also believe though could be wrong, the Sub has a better more robust crown/stem mechanism. The Sub has another feature the GMT doesn't, a timing bezel, I use it for spaghetti. :) I don't think the GMT has the glidelock clasp, which comes in VERY handy. Also not a fan of polished center links. Yes, the GMT has, well, a GMT function, which I won't use enough to give up what I like about the sub.

Both icons, the Sub maybe slightly more, both rugged, but the Sub appears to be slightly more robust. Just my opinion of course. :)
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:01 AM   #4
learpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMTII ,SUB c,
Just a matter of taste.Both are great watches.
learpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:06 AM   #5
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Both are great watches... but Sub's connection to James Bond and many other celebrities cant be underestimated...
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:07 AM   #6
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I have owned both, but I sold the GMTIIC for the following reasons:
1. I prefer the monochromatic look and cleaner dial of the Sub
2. I prefer the fully brushed bracelet of the Sub
3. I think the slightly thicker caseback is more comfortable
4. I I prefer the less bold bezel font
5. The Glidelock is the greatest watch clasp ever made and I find that it is more versatile than the Easy Link extension.
6. I love the Chromalite markers in the dark
Old 14 May 2011, 02:09 AM   #7
Ricco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
Both are great watches... but Sub's connection to James Bond and many other celebrities cant be underestimated...
I thought "James" wears Omega?
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:12 AM   #8
snowpea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Like the sub better with the cleaner looking bezel and don't really use the gmt function.
Old 14 May 2011, 02:14 AM   #9
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
I thought "James" wears Omega?
Depends on how old the movie. He wore both Rolex and Omega. Currently it's Omega.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:14 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The Sub is recognized everywhere, probably, as Tom said, the James Bond connection has been a big driver, but Jacques Cousteau, Sea Hunt, Steve MQueen, etc., and great marketing had a hand in it also..

The GMT has always been in the shadow of the Sub and only chosen by travelers who enjoyed the convenience it offered for time zones..

It's only been since the introduction of the Ceramic GMT and it's upgraded bracelet that anybody really paid much attention to it.. I think that it's sudden rise in popularity surprised many, including Rolex..

Now that the Sub too is available with a ceramic bezel and modern bracelet, it's taken back over as Top-Dog and the GMT will need to take back seat once again..........
Old 14 May 2011, 02:15 AM   #11
Speed
"TRF" Member

Diver watch Vs Pilot watch.

Whoomp there it is.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:20 AM   #12
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Diver watch Vs Pilot watch.

Whoomp there it is.
Yep. And since we are 90% Walter Mitty's, dabbling in diving is far more likely to inspire diver watch lust, since dabbling in piloting is less common.

BOTH GREAT ICONIC WATCHES.

I was facing the same decision, couldn't BELIEVE that the 24 hour complication, used daily, was available on the GMT in the same price band as the sub without it.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:26 AM   #13
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
I had the exact same question a few months ago. Both are great watches, and I'm sure I would have been happy with either, but I chose the GMT mainly because of the better functionaility. My considerations were as follows:

- movement functionality - big advantage to the GMT with the second time zone / 24 hour hand

- bezel funtionality - slight advantage to the Sub with minute level of detail, but GMT bezel still useful for timing with 2.5 minute level of detail, or longer term timing with half hour level of detail

- depth rating - big advantage to Sub with 300m versus 100m, but had minor weight for me as I will never be close to even 100m with it

- centre links - personal preference - I like PCLs as they are a better match with the shiny ceraminc bezel, but not a big factor as I could always brush them (but I won't)

- icon - no doubt Sub is more iconic - I intitially gave this a little bit of weight, but realized this was no reason to buy a watch - I told myself "buy what you like, not what you're supposed to like"

Another point made above is the crown however I thought they were the same, both tri-lock.

As for the clasp, the GMT does not have the glidelock, but does have the easy extension. It was not a factor at the time as I have a very goo fit.

Finally, to me the lugs on the SubC look slightly shorter than the GMT. I believe this is an illusion, but it's how I see it. However this did not form part of my consideration.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:30 AM   #14
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
- centre links - personal preference - I like PCLs as they are a better match with the shiny ceraminc bezel, but not a big factor as I could always brush them (but I won't)
Given time, they brush themselves

Nice avatar, took me a minute.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:55 AM   #15
L-16610
"TRF" Member

Becaus a sub looks better

and the GMT is cool but THE Rolex is imo a submariner
L-16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:01 AM   #16
Ricco

so how does one use the gmt function? i notice there are 4 hands on that watch....
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:07 AM   #17
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
I bought a Sub C over a GMT C for three reasons: I like the looks much better, it has two additional removable links (one on each side and essential for my wrist size), and it has glidelock adjustment (vs. easy link on the GMT).
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:09 AM   #18
Old Blue

Watch: tt Ceramic Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The Sub is recognized everywhere, probably, as Tom said, the James Bond connection has been a big driver, but Jacques Cousteau, Sea Hunt, Steve MQueen, etc., and great marketing had a hand in it also..

The GMT has always been in the shadow of the Sub and only chosen by travelers who enjoyed the convenience it offered for time zones..

It's only been since the introduction of the Ceramic GMT and it's upgraded bracelet that anybody really paid much attention to it.. I think that it's sudden rise in popularity surprised many, including Rolex..

Now that the Sub too is available with a ceramic bezel and modern bracelet, it's taken back over as Top-Dog and the GMT will need to take back seat once again..........
True dat.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:19 AM   #19
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I believe Sub is more iconic watch than the GMT and I advised my brother the same thing, if he's going to get _only_ one Rolex, then get the Submariner.

I got the Sub many years ago then got the GMTC recently, previously I never even considered the GMT because of the small crown, the new GMT-C looks as good or even better than the new SubC.

my 2 cents.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:21 AM   #20
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I agree 100%....purchased the GMTIIc simply because the Subc was not available..
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:22 AM   #21
klayface

Watch: SS Daytona w/ dial
I couldn't see myself with a watch that can keep track of a second time zone. I just don't need it .

The sub for me was practical and simple. it did what its supposed to do . Its built tough and it can also pull of looking nice with casual attire or jeans and a white shirt.
klayface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:41 AM   #22
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
I guess i got the Idea, Everyone prefers the SUB because more famous people are seen wearing the SUB over the GMT.. To me they basically look the same except the GMT bezel has 1-24 and SUB is 1- 60 and has a pearl in it. The size is the same. I guess people also like the bracelt on the sub better also and people like a brushed band over a polished band because you don't see as many scratches on a brushed band..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:49 AM   #23
dnagwhogas
"TRF" Member

Watch: N :Learn
The Sub also holds better value.

P-Club Member # 7

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.
dnagwhogas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 03:59 AM   #24
arabesque
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd
Both are utilitarian and icons. The sub is more popular though - maybe easier to unload because it is more popular.

I went with the GMT as I have families in another country. Knowing what time it is over there is convenient, so I wont make the mistake of waking them up when I need to call.

Buy what suits your needs.
arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 04:00 AM   #25
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
The busyness of the bezel was an immediate turn off for me on the GMT. I wasn't crazy about the PCL's either. Ended up with the sub, and no regrets.

The additional complication of the 24 hour hand would have been cool even though I don't travel much.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 04:15 AM   #26
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Both are great icons for different reasons as stated elsewhere, you can't go wrong with either. I would like a blue GMT if they made one.
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 04:44 AM   #27
xelor63
"TRF" Member

I like am both.

XELOR
xelor63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 04:47 AM   #28
globalmedia33
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
3 times more water resistance I believe
You must be diving atleast 300m everyday.
“I THINK PERFECTION IS UGLY. SOMEWHERE IN THE THINGS HUMANS MAKE, I WANT TO SEE SCARS, FAILURE, DISORDER AND DISTORTION" - YOHJI YAMAMOTO
globalmedia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 04:47 AM   #29
rolexertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
1. I prefer the monochromatic look and cleaner dial of the Sub
2. I prefer the fully brushed bracelet of the Sub
3. I think the slightly thicker caseback is more comfortable
4. I I prefer the less bold bezel font
5. The Glidelock is the greatest watch clasp ever made and I find that it is more versatile than the Easy Link extension.
6. I love the Chromalite markers in the dark
X2
rolexertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 04:50 AM   #30
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
i walked into the ad convinced that i wanted a gmt. i do dive occasionally but i would never take my watch with me and i liked the green fourth hand and the gmt function however when i compared it with the new sub it seemed just too busy i especially prefer the less flashy bezel font and the brushed bracelet of the sub. i chose the sub because i wanted a watch which would serve me for a long time and i wasn't sure whether the bezel of the gmt would be pleasing 20 years from now and by looking at the new sub i was sure it would become a classic.

but that is just my opinion and i can fully understand those crazy about the gmt rather than the sub. both are great watches and you can't really go wrong.

instagram: modus_horologicus
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote