The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 January 2024, 12:08 PM   #31
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
As wednesday is pick up day for my starwheel, I was playing with some pics. Funny how the starwheel appears to wear smaller than the QP.

These are incredible pictures. You can really pull off the Code very well.
The starwheel is an absolute dream...
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 12:39 PM   #32
Gandor
"TRF" Member

The fact that 10's of starwheels have been posted on chrono24 shows there's still massive holes in their distribution process considering how limited these pieces are.
Old 30 January 2024, 02:11 PM   #33
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
The fact that 10's of starwheels have been posted on chrono24 shows there's still massive holes in their distribution process considering how limited these pieces are.
I count 5 listings at the moment, two of which just have the stock picture
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:34 PM   #34
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
I’ve got about 8 pieces. 5 for me, 3 for the wife. Decent mix of steel/PM/diamonds, and across the lines (RO/ROC/ROO/Code).

My request for openwork was followed by an optimistic nod by the SA. As for the starwheel, all I got was a sigh, followed by biting of the lip and a shake of the head.

This is just my experience, so take it at face value all!

I sincerely love love love the starwheel, and feel it’s symbolic of AP in this current era.
1. It’s a Code
2. Uses an old ‘complication’ but modernize
3. Looks insane and there’s NO other watch out there that looks like the starwheel/ comparable to it.

I spoke with my SA over the weekend. She confirmed the scarcity due to production issues last year. Reaffirmed my desire to get one allocated this year and she was pretty optimistic. Fingers crossed.

On a different note, I asked about the QP Openwork and she said nobody from our boutique got approved for one last year. I guess I need to read between the lines.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 03:11 PM   #35
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
There are 5 right now. I've been tracking since release and several have popped up and sold since then. Mostly from overseas markets.
Old 30 January 2024, 04:52 PM   #36
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I contacted them. The stock images are not available. The try to source it for you.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 04:53 PM   #37
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These are incredible pictures. You can really pull off the Code very well.
The starwheel is an absolute dream...

Thnks, these are quick pics at the AD’s. Picking mine up wednesday. The QP I don’t own.
Old 30 January 2024, 04:57 PM   #38
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I am checking the Starwheel out since the beginning. There where never 10’s of them, I can assure you.
Old 30 January 2024, 04:58 PM   #39
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
wow both amazing pieces congrats

Thats a TOugh one for me to pick if I had to choose one lol the thing im most thankful for on the Starwheel is the Seconds hand! I need movement!

Agree! On one hand I think it would have looked cleaner without. But some movement is nice to look at.
Old 30 January 2024, 05:15 PM   #40
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
I am checking the Starwheel out since the beginning. There where never 10’s of them, I can assure you.
There's literally 5 right now my dude.
Old 30 January 2024, 08:19 PM   #41
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's literally 5 right now my dude.

5 are not 10’s “my dude”
Old 30 January 2024, 10:54 PM   #42
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I spoke with my SA over the weekend. She confirmed the scarcity due to production issues last year. Reaffirmed my desire to get one allocated this year and she was pretty optimistic. Fingers crossed.

On a different note, I asked about the QP Openwork and she said nobody from our boutique got approved for one last year. I guess I need to read between the lines.
Good luck! On the QP openwork, well if you don’t shoot, you ain’t gonna score. Might as well try
Old 30 January 2024, 10:59 PM   #43
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are 5 right now. I've been tracking since release and several have popped up and sold since then. Mostly from overseas markets.
Interesting. I'm more used to things just sitting on C24 for ever and ever.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 12:38 AM   #44
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post

Did she mention if the production issues have been resolved at all? Or are they still squeaking out a very limited number of star wheels?
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 02:14 AM   #45
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think it looks smaller because the numerals are so big, cool optical illusion.

FWIW I was almost laughed out of the store asking for a Star.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 05:15 AM   #46
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Good luck! On the QP openwork, well if you don’t shoot, you ain’t gonna score. Might as well try
lol. Based on her statement, I didn't even ask to put it on my wish list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Did she mention if the production issues have been resolved at all? Or are they still squeaking out a very limited number of star wheels?
She did not mention whether production will get better or not, but her response to my request was positive. Hoping I get the call sometime this year.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 12:22 AM   #47
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quick pick up shot!

And great news!!

Coverage is being continued!!
Old 1 February 2024, 12:25 AM   #48
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quick pick up shot!

And great news!!

Coverage is being continued!!
What coverage? The care program? I picked up 2 weeks ago and was told it was discontinued
Old 1 February 2024, 12:27 AM   #49
Broadbear
"TRF" Member

Looks great! Congrats. Great to hear about the coverage also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Broadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 12:32 AM   #50
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What coverage? The care program? I picked up 2 weeks ago and was told it was discontinued

Coverage as it was! As of today!
Old 1 February 2024, 04:57 PM   #51
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Incoming! Jk

Was able to try this on today for the first time.

Overall, still a great watch. But honestly less impressive in person than online. Might be bc I hyped it up so much in my own head for the last year it was bound to disappoint

The starwheel is much lighter than expected and the aluminum (?) discs look kinda cheap in person. I guess if you already own a ceramic/gold code you might be used to the weight, but it was new for me.

The discs were probably the bigger disappointment, but perhaps it was just the lighting. Not sure if it’s painted or what the finishing of the discs is, but it didn’t look as polished as it looked online.

The crown, like the QP, sits low on the case. Not as low as the QP, but it just looks odd to me still bc it doesn’t rest in the middle of the case side.

In terms of positives…The aventurine dial looks absolutely stunning. While the QP is also stunning, I think the starwheel’s aventurine dial is more beautiful since there is much more uninterrupted surface area of the adventurine dial.

Overall, on a personal scale of desirability from 1 - 10, 1 being a launch 3 hander code and 10 being a 15407, the starwheel was probably a 9 for me.

After seeing it in person, it’s probably a 6.5-7. Goes from a must have to a “wouldn’t mind owning” for me. It’s not a watch I’ll be begging my SA to allocate to me anymore.

Here’s a random photo of the ceramic beast which I also tried on. This is a watch that definitely impressed me and exceeded expectations. I think it’s way overpriced and not worth the retail price imo, but the watch itself is very beautiful and I would love to own if it weren’t for the $90k price tag and being slightly too big for me

Old 1 February 2024, 05:47 PM   #52
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Incoming! Jk

Overall, still a great watch. But honestly less impressive in person than online. Might be bc I hyped it up so much in my own head for the last year it was bound to disappoint

The starwheel is much lighter than expected and the aluminum (?) discs look kinda cheap in person. I guess if you already own a ceramic/gold code you might be used to the weight, but it was new for me.

The discs were probably the bigger disappointment, but perhaps it was just the lighting. Not sure if it’s painted or what the finishing of the discs is, but it didn’t look as polished as it looked online.

The crown, like the QP, sits low on the case. Not as low as the QP, but it just looks odd to me still bc it doesn’t rest in the middle of the case side.

In terms of positives…The aventurine dial looks absolutely stunning. While the QP is also stunning, I think the starwheel’s aventurine dial is more beautiful since there is much more uninterrupted surface area of the adventurine dial.

Overall, on a personal scale of desirability from 1 - 10, 1 being a launch 3 hander code and 10 being a 15407, the starwheel was probably a 9 for me.

After seeing it in person, it’s probably a 6.5-7. Goes from a must have to a “wouldn’t mind owning” for me. It’s not a watch I’ll be begging my SA to allocate to me anymore.

Here’s a random photo of the ceramic beast which I also tried on. This is a watch that definitely impressed me and exceeded expectations. I think it’s way overpriced and not worth the retail price imo, but the watch itself is very beautiful and I would love to own if it weren’t for the $90k price tag and being slightly too big for me

My takeaway from the pics is you have the wrist to pull off that beast. Awesome stuff!
Old 1 February 2024, 08:04 PM   #53
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Incoming! Jk

It’s funny how the perception of different people are. For me it was the other way around. I think it looks awesome! Everything on it breathes that is is well made. The dial, the case, the lugs, the strap. I also don’t find it to feel light. Ok, a full gold piece feels heavier, but the gold case of the Starwheel gives it some heft. I love it!

What’s not to like?

Old 1 February 2024, 08:13 PM   #54
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Haha it’s still a good watch… that should have been my main takeaway. But i personally overhyped it myself for the last year. And I probably would have taken this over the jumbo. But seeing it in the flesh, and knowing that it’s highly desired by many others, I don’t mind taking my name out of the hat and requesting another piece.

If you asked me yesterday, I would have easily said the starwheel was the best code made (out of all the “entry” level codes and not the crazy complicated pieces), but imo I think that margin may have slimmed dramatically. I think the ss code chronos and the QP are still up there with the starwheel as best of the lineup.

Congrats on your pick up though :)
Old 1 February 2024, 08:24 PM   #55
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s funny how the perception of different people are. For me it was the other way around. I think it looks awesome! Everything on it breathes that is is well made. The dial, the case, the lugs, the strap. I also don’t find it to feel light. Ok, a full gold piece feels heavier, but the gold case of the Starwheel gives it some heft. I love it!

What’s not to like?

Got any more pics under the sun or different lighting? Would love to see more closeups of the discs and how they look in different lightings
Old 1 February 2024, 09:15 PM   #56
iten
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the watch in person at launch, but seems no one here seems to agree. IMHO, the way would look much better if the discs were glossy instead of matt. It just looks like cheap plastic to me. I still have the startwheel on my wishlist as the next watch. The reason being if I am getting a code, it might as well be this one. I wonder if they will make other variation (colors) of this watch in the near future.
iten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 09:36 PM   #57
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Got any more pics under the sun or different lighting? Would love to see more closeups of the discs and how they look in different lightings
will make some later on. Maybe NWA topic.
Old 1 February 2024, 09:48 PM   #58
Palex
"TRF" Member

To me, it’s better irl than on pictures. Very hard watch to catch as it really is. Here is a photo with more sunlight.
I really don’t get a cheap feeling of the discs in any way. It is all a personal thing, I guess.
Old 1 February 2024, 11:28 PM   #59
Broadbear
"TRF" Member

I think the starwheel is a perfect watch. It’s ashame that production is very limited and demand is very high, otherwise lots of people would buy it. I have a cousin who owns 9 APs between him and his wife, and his boutique wouldn’t put him down for the starwheel because he doesn’t own a code and other bigger clients are prioritized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Broadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 12:32 AM   #60
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iten View Post
This is exactly what I thought when I saw the watch in person at launch, but seems no one here seems to agree. IMHO, the way would look much better if the discs were glossy instead of matt. It just looks like cheap plastic to me. I still have the startwheel on my wishlist as the next watch. The reason being if I am getting a code, it might as well be this one. I wonder if they will make other variation (colors) of this watch in the near future.
Haha I think I recall reading your post and thinking you were crazy. But now I know what you mean. The discs really disappointed me. The weight is not a serious concern; I’m just not used to ceramic. But the discs….maybe it’s just the lighting…

I’m on the same boat as you. I already have one code but if I want to go super long into my journey with AP I’ll probably want to pick up another code anyway and starwheel is still at the top.