The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 October 2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Oyster Bracelet Screws - Damaged by AD

Does anyone know what type of screw I need to replace the screw that holds the last link to the clasp on a 72600 DateJust Oyster bracelet. Its not a standard screw as its slightly shorter, you can't see the other end of it and its sunk down very slightly. It is basically the one that attaches the clasp to the bracelet. I have attached a picture I found on Google images showing the screw I mean. AD's watchmaker damaged a couple of my bracelet screws on my brand new 116200 when I was in picking it up and getting it sized on Friday. The usual story where the proper tool wasn't used. I have a SD tool kit so should have done it myself. Didn't notice the damage until today and the other 2 screws he damaged aren't an issue as I have some spares but that little "end screw" I have no idea about. I also have no idea why he was messing with that particular screw, plus he is usually really good, bought a few watches from the same AD and never had anything like this happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image81290.jpg (68.4 KB, 2119 views)

Last edited by Mr DateJust; 27 October 2014 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Description accuracy
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Go back to the AD and have him replace it for you.
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

To be honest don't want them touching it again as they obviously don't have the right tools. I am planning to go back in and get them to order me the screw for free but I will fit it myself. Only reason I didn't originally as I had no loctite to hand at home and they had done a good job in the past. However before I go back in I want to know what exact type of screw I am asking them to order.
Old 27 October 2014, 11:15 AM   #4
gerrya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
I went to my AD and told him I wanted the shorter screw for the bracelet that goes closest to the clasp. Its the only one that is different. Thats the one that does not go all the way through to the other side of the bracelet. He ordered it for me and I had it within a week.
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Pick up a tube of purple loctite (Amazon) and, thanks to Rick Dietl's tip, I've also gotten great use out of a small cheap cigar lighter. Three second blast on the threaded side (especially for the "hidden" end screws) and they come out much easier
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Alpino
"TRF" Member

All links use the same "standrad" screw ref# for a 72600 bracelet, including the last link.

Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 07:59 PM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

All links use the same "standrad" screw ref# for a 72600 bracelet, including the last link.

But this one has a different # ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sans_t99.jpg (25.5 KB, 1956 views)
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 08:13 PM   #8
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrankel2 View Post
go back to the ad and have him replace it for you.
x2
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
But this one has a different # ?
It's the same # all over the bracelet.
Old 27 October 2014, 08:18 PM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
It's the same # all over the bracelet.
Really, your picture tells a different story?
Old 27 October 2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Alpino
"TRF" Member

your Arrow point another part of the bracelet, not what the OP showed us.

part 32-23058 isn't a screw, it's a spring bar.
Old 27 October 2014, 08:29 PM   #12
MonBK
Banned

Quote:

your Arrow point another part of the bracelet, not what the OP showed us.

part 32-23058 isn't a screw, it's a spring bar.
Thanks, I see that now.
Old 28 October 2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

You can't actually see it properly from that diagram. All the screws on the 72600 bracelet are the same except one. The one I have underlined in green. It is the screw that holds the 6 o'clock side of the bracelet onto the clasp, same width but slightly shorter than a regular oyster screw and doesn't go all the way through the link. Anyway I went into the AD, they called Rolex who asked if it was a regular screw or the shorter clasp screw, confirmed it was the shorter one and a pack of 5 are on their way. So at least it is resolved. Thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sans_t99.jpg (45.2 KB, 1885 views)
Old 28 October 2014, 08:13 AM   #14
MonBK
Banned

Great, that settles it, so they aren't the same all over the bracelet.
Old 28 October 2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Alpino
"TRF" Member

yes they are ...

the screw you show, and the screw I showed are 2 représentations of the same thing (to show it from the clasp perspective and from the link perspective).

Once again, the AD isn't the best reference to follow ... if he ordered another type of screw (another ref #) , he's wrong , and you'll have the wrong part on your bracelet.

It's up to you.

Old 28 October 2014, 08:31 AM   #16
MonBK
Banned

Now I'm confused

The OP says that Rolex (not the AD) asked if it was the shorter or the regular screw.
Old 28 October 2014, 08:36 AM   #17
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Bracelet with oysterlock have a shorter screw at this position. It's because this screw don't go through the metal on oysterlock bracelet, and it go through the metal on bracelet without oysterlock like 72200/72600 .
I am not sure I am clear as a I don't know the English word for "affleurant"

As a example, Here are 72600 side by side with bracelets with shorter screw 32-20638:

Old 28 October 2014, 08:39 AM   #18
gerrya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
I have had both screws out of the bracelet of my Explorer II and one is clearly shorter. It also is the only screw that you can not see the base through the link. The link does not have a hole, it is solid. If Rolex said they are sending you the shorter one, I have a feeling it may be the correct one.
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 08:41 AM   #19
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrya View Post
I have had both screws out of the bracelet of my Explorer II and one is clearly shorter. It also is the only screw that you can not see the base through the link. The link does not have a hole, it is solid. If Rolex said they are sending you the shorter one, I have a feeling it may be the correct one.
Explorer 2 have an oysterlock bracelet ... DateJust don't
Old 28 October 2014, 08:44 AM   #20
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrya View Post
Agree, one would assume they know what they're doing.
Old 28 October 2014, 08:51 AM   #21
MonBK
Banned

So the OP has ordered a screw for the wrong bracelet?
Old 28 October 2014, 08:55 AM   #22
Alpino
"TRF" Member

here are bracelets from 2 of my watches :

As you can see the screw is apparent on the back side of the 72200, not for the 78200. This give a difference in screw size, longer for 72200.

If you (the OP) put the smaller screw on his 72600, the screw will not be flush ("être affleurante") like on my 72200.
Old 28 October 2014, 08:57 AM   #23
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Sorry Alpino you are wrong on this one. If you have a DateJust look at the last screw on the 6 o'clock side it is different. I am physically looking at the screws just now. You can't see the base of it and it doesn't go all the way through the link. It would stick out if it was the same as the others. As Gerry says above its also the same on the explorer 2. There is 1 screw which is different. The guy at Rolex knew immediate which one we were taking about once we mentioned the shorter screw.
Old 28 October 2014, 09:08 AM   #24
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DateJust View Post
Sorry Alpino you are wrong on this one. If you have a DateJust look at the last screw on the 6 o'clock side it is different. I am physically looking at the screws just now. You can't see the base of it and it doesn't go all the way through the link. It would stick out if it was the same as the others. As Gerry says above its also the same on the explorer 2. There is 1 screw which is different. The guy at Rolex knew immediate which one we were taking about once we mentioned the shorter screw.

All screws on my DJ 72200 bracelet are the same including the one we are talking about, measuring 15mm (this particular screw is shorter on my Gmt2 78200).

My previous shemas are extracted from Rolex watchmaker documentation (R8 catalog from 2010), the same your AD should use.

Explorer 2 (like Gmt2) is another story (as showed on my previous shema), as Explo2 uses 77210 bracelet with oysterlock.

But as I previously said it's up to you. This will just give you a non perfect finish as the back side hole won't be filled up if you use the shorter screw. It's not a big deal. Maybe you already had the wrong screw on your bracelet.
Old 28 October 2014, 09:17 AM   #25
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Alpino I have the 72600 bracelet on my DateJust, you have the slightly older 72200. There are some subtle differences including that one screw. See pics attached showing the screw head and the back of the link. On the 72600 the screw does not go all the way through and it very slightly sunk down on the screw head side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5084.jpg (79.4 KB, 1844 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5085.jpg (68.5 KB, 1849 views)
Old 28 October 2014, 09:26 AM   #26
Alpino
"TRF" Member

No hole on the back side, it's now like for oysterlock bracelets. It's an update made to the 72600. It had the hole when introduced in 2009. My 2010 doc don't have this update which must have occured after its publication.

So in this case, yes you need the shorter screw 32-20638.

Old 27 December 2014, 03:24 AM   #27
dcdefend
"TRF" Member

I am a long way from a dealer. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the 32-20687 screw?
Length, diameter and thread size. Will Rolex send these screws to a dealer? One has told us the whole watch would have to go to the service center. Thats a huge loss and shipping charges for one little screw.
dcdefend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2015, 05:31 AM   #28
chucelli
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Just a FYI for reference even though this thread is about a year old:

The Rolex service diagrams are wrong. At least the one at the AD near me. The literature for the 114060 bracelet for example only shows one shorter 32-20638 screw, while we confirmed that there are actually two, one on either side of the clasp. I'm not sure what other discrepancies there may be, but use logic when trying to figure out screw length. The screws used near the clasp are clearly shorter since they do not go all the way through. For those that have noticed that replacement screws are always shorter and leave an indentation.. I don't think that is correct. Most likely it was replaced with a screw that is shorter than what is correct. My replacement 32-20638 fit perfectly flush.
chucelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2015, 07:00 AM   #29
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucelli View Post
Just a FYI for reference even though this thread is about a year old:

The Rolex service diagrams are wrong. At least the one at the AD near me. The literature for the 114060 bracelet for example only shows one shorter 32-20638 screw, ...
Rolex service diagram shows 2 ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sans titre.jpg (56.9 KB, 1687 views)
Old 9 September 2015, 08:58 AM   #30
Leeroy Jenkins
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind that while the replacement screws are the same dimensions, they will sit lower than flush in the links.

The shorter screw that you mention comes from the factory sitting below flush so you might be able to replace just the screw on that half link.

Rolex machines its links with the screws in place to establish a perfect flat finish.

I too had my watch bracelet sized at the AD when I first got it and they burred up the screws. Later I went in while their "watch tech" was in and he said that the screws where the same size, but they're not. My watch screws sat below flush on the links that had the screws replaced. To top it all off, he still didn't use the right screw driver and some small tool marks are still there.

I'm just going to get the links replaced when its time for service.
Leeroy Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote