The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2005, 04:05 AM   #1
rogue2677
"TRF" Member

Icon6 colt 1911 vs. Rolex suggestions

From Newbie....I recently came upon a colt 1911 (wwI) issue which is in 98%condition and worth a good chunk of change. having been bitten by the Rlx bug, I'm finding myself needing another one other than my sub. I have other sentimenal firearms and will not depart with them but I'm thinking about the colt?? should I flip one for the other?
Thanx
rogue2677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 04:08 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue2677
From Newbie....I recently came upon a colt 1911 (wwI) issue which is in 98%condition and worth a good chunk of change. having been bitten by the Rlx bug, I'm finding myself needing another one other than my sub. I have other sentimenal firearms and will not depart with them but I'm thinking about the colt?? should I flip one for the other?
Thanx
Hi rogue (couldn't you find a more 'rugged' username? )

A big welcome to this forum. There are a few gun enthusiasts here who might be able to help you with your query, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, a nice pic of your Sub would be welcome. Is it the 16610? If so, congrats on the best in the Rolex line-up!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 04:13 AM   #3
rogue2677
"TRF" Member

yep 16610..only the best I have a hold on a kermit (d series) and I'm supposed to get it sat morning from an ad..How do i post a pic....(got my name while in th 82nd.)
thanx!!
Old 8 October 2005, 04:16 AM   #4
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome to TRF, Rogue. Hope you enjoy your stay here and post often.

As for your question, personally, I would flip the Colt for a new Rolex, but then I'm into watches, not guns. Having said that, though, in your case, you have an antique, something I would consider more of an art piece than a weapon. So that makes it tougher. On balance, though, I would still go with my first thought. You'll get a lot more use out of the watch than the pistol (I hope ).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 04:17 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
yep 16610..only the best I have a hold on a kermit (d series) and I'm supposed to get it sat morning from an ad..How do i post a pic....(got my name while in th 82nd.)
thanx!!
Great - the 16610, in my humble opinion, is the most sought after and recognised Rolex out there - an icon in the line-up! Well done!!

As for pics, just do a google search for PHOTOBUCKET. Download PHOTOBUCKET onto your computer and then download all your pics there.

At the bottom of the PHOTOBUCKET you will have 3 options. Click on the bottom option, right click, click COPY and then click PASTE onto your post on this forum.

IMPORTANT: You will have to keep BOTH open at the same time - the PHOTOBUCKET and TRF.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 8 October 2005, 04:19 AM   #6
Rockrolex

Quote:
thanx!!
Check out this thread, Rogue, for help in posting pictures:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=1789

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 8 October 2005, 04:37 AM   #7
rogue2677
"TRF" Member

Thanks!! the gun is very collectable and it's part of history but i would get more use and enjoyment from say..a daytona..do they keep their value as compared to the .45 colt....some ppl say that the daytona is coming down in price??..I'm still learning unlike you experts!! thanks for the welcome!
Old 8 October 2005, 04:39 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thanks!! the gun is very collectable and it's part of history but i would get more use and enjoyment from say..a daytona..do they keep their value as compared to the .45 colt....some ppl say that the daytona is coming down in price??..I'm still learning unlike you experts!! thanks for the welcome!
An SS (Steel) Daytona will always hold its value, no worries.

Old 8 October 2005, 08:36 AM   #9
mamas
"TRF" Member

the funny thing was that being a european i thought that you were talkinig about a breitling colt watch..only sussed out at the end you were taklking about a gun!.. would go for the watch myself.
mamas
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 10:02 AM   #10
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas
the funny thing was that being a european i thought that you were talkinig about a breitling colt watch..only sussed out at the end you were taklking about a gun!.. would go for the watch myself.
mamas
It's just a matter of your upbringing, Mamas. Around these parts, we grew up playing cowboys and indians, and other Wild West fantasy games. All involve guns. One of the first gifts a young boy gets around here (i.e., between the two oceans) is a toy pistol. You, of course, coming from a civilized area of the world would naturally not automatically think Colt = gun. You rightfully think Colt = Breitling.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 8 October 2005, 12:24 PM   #11
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello Rogue and welcome to the forum. If I had a valuable antique, that has every possibility of appreciating, there's no way I'd sell it to buy a watch. Hang on to it because very few watches gain in value.

BTW where you in King Abdulaziz Air Base during the Gulf War?

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 01:19 PM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Welcome to TRF, Rogue. Hope you enjoy your stay here and post often.

I am not into guns, not against them though, so I would say go for it!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 05:46 PM   #13
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Great - the 16610, in my humble opinion, is the most sought after and recognised Rolex out there - an icon in the line-up! Well done!!
JJ, where is your Sub then? Huh?

Frans.
Old 8 October 2005, 05:57 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well I was thinking the same coming from the UK,hate guns and what they stand for. But collecting antique deactivated firearms,is ok by me and the
colt pistol is part of the wild wests history of America.Original Colts I would
imagine now are very collectible,and in short supply,but your Rolex well there
is thousands of them,welcome to TRF Rogue.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 06:01 PM   #15
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

A big welcome to TRF.

Hope you enjoy coming here and can post often.

Craig.
Old 9 October 2005, 09:05 AM   #16
mbogo

Sell the .45 to buy a watch? I don't think you'd get anywhere near the price of a Rolex for a 1911 or 1911a1 unless the gun was owned by a 'famous person' and had provenance.

Keep the gun, and save up the money to buy that Rolex; you'll have them both that way.

George
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2005, 09:12 AM   #17
mbogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Well I was thinking the same coming from the UK,hate guns and what they stand for. But collecting antique deactivated firearms,is ok by me and the
colt pistol is part of the wild wests history of America.
This is not a gun forum, but since you injected your personal feelings on the matter, I must respond.

Hating an inanimate object strikes me as irrational, and guns don't stand for anything, per se. That Britain has inculcated such beliefs in its people after using firearms for hundreds of years to 'bring civilization' and 'the rule of British law' to people who didn't want it or need it strikes me as hypocritical.

Back when the Nazis had taken nearly all of Europe and were massing on Britain's doorstep, it was U.S. civilians who donated their firearms to the British for use by the Home Guard. The British citizenry (except for the elites) had been disarmed by their esteemed leaders; I would have thought the Brits had learned a valuable lesson in the 1940s.

George
Old 9 October 2005, 12:41 PM   #18
rogue2677
"TRF" Member

mbogo ..provanance on 1911 and Rolex choice

First...thanks for the welcome to all....I have decided to keep the 1911 colt and I have a deposit on an anniv. sub (d-series) at a local auth.dealer and its mine as soon as I scrape up the 4800....to mbogo..the colt was purchased by me from the original owner in my hometown (veteran of both wwI and wwII) It has his name hand written on the inside of original holster ..I have been offered 3900.00 cash but I'm going to keep it...I do think there is provenance and all the numbers are matching with the colt insignia also engraved on the side and the blueing is 98%.....I hope to establish some friendships and learn from what seems like a great forum....thanks
Old 10 October 2005, 12:19 AM   #19
mbogo

rogue,

You should take the $3800. Unless it is some extremely rare variant, that is an inordinately large amount of money for stolen government property.

George
Old 10 October 2005, 04:51 AM   #20
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogo
rogue,

You should take the $3800. Unless it is some extremely rare variant, that is an inordinately large amount of money for stolen government property.

George
LOLOL!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2005, 08:08 AM   #21
rogue2677
"TRF" Member

The owner bought his firearm from the army which was an option back then....I know this isnt a gun forum but maybe you should look up the going rate for the described colt I wont bring it up again though....but are you living in jersey? I thought that country wont let you carry firearms??
Old 10 October 2005, 04:48 PM   #22
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Welcome aboard, rogue! Always good to have another paratrooper on the forum!

I think it's a good idea keeping the 1911. Justification of the price notwithstanding, I'm always leery of trading in something with history for something that is brand-new - there just seems to be something about history that you can't ever put a price tag on.

Anyway, in the worst case, forget the Kermit and get an SS GMT instead. Somewhere along the way, you can also grow a moustache and acquire a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTS.