The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 January 2012, 12:41 AM   #1
humvee
Banned

What is the current MSRP for DSSD in the USA?

Just wondering if it has reached the $11,000 mark?
humvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Naples09
"TRF" Member

http://minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.htm
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 12:45 AM   #3
humvee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
Thank you but that seems to be old info. I rmember seeing it at $10K+.
Also, I am not sure if someone is updating tht page on a regular basis

Thanks though!
Old 5 January 2012, 12:46 AM   #4
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
$10,650.00

Source : swissluxury.com - their other MSRP values seem to be right on.

Also, it's much easier to read than the chart on the minus4plus6 website.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 12:50 AM   #5
humvee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABreathAway View Post
$10,650.00

Source : swissluxury.com - their other MSRP values seem to be right on.

Also, it's much easier to read than the chart on the minus4plus6 website.
Thank you ... that sounds right!
Old 5 January 2012, 12:51 AM   #6
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

$10,650 is correct ... next price increase should push it over $11,000 ... ouch!
wiswrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 12:53 AM   #7
humvee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac10000 View Post
$10,650 is correct ... next price increase should push it over $11,000 ... ouch!
which should be tomorrow!
Old 5 January 2012, 01:43 AM   #8
swiss ghost
Banned

rolex just gouging customers now. i love rolex, but to raise prices faster than the rate of inflation 'because they can' is simply gouging.

the DSSD is no better today than it was last year and will be no better next year than this year. i dont want to 'hijack' thread with my rant as its just an observation. funny thing is rolex buyers just seem to shrug and laugh as i guess technically it raises the value of our rolexes we already own.
swiss ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 02:13 AM   #9
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss ghost View Post
rolex just gouging customers now. i love rolex, but to raise prices faster than the rate of inflation 'because they can' is simply gouging.
:
I couldn't disagree with you more. Rolex places and prices their products in a market. They are currently reporting record sales of their products, so it only makes basic economic sense to increase the price to what the market will bear.

As I've stated before, I'm all too happy to see the prices go up, meaning the watches become more exclusive luxury items.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 02:32 AM   #10
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Easily is over 11K, whit the added sales tax?
Old 5 January 2012, 03:17 AM   #11
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
I couldn't disagree with you more. Rolex places and prices their products in a market. They are currently reporting record sales of their products, so it only makes basic economic sense to increase the price to what the market will bear.

As I've stated before, I'm all too happy to see the prices go up, meaning the watches become more exclusive luxury items.
what the market will bear doesent mean it isnt gouging

bottomline is its still the same model without any changes. rolex is just increasing their profits without raising any of their costs. if you want something really exclusive buy a patek.
Old 5 January 2012, 03:33 AM   #12
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
That's crazy for a SS sport watch, $11,000 No wonder why our classifieds are selling these when they are posted
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 06:09 AM   #13
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
That's crazy for a SS sport watch, $11,000 No wonder why our classifieds are selling these when they are posted
the problem with pricing what the 'market will bear' strategy is eventually is that eventually you price to high and sales go down.

and than what? does rolex reduce their pricing?

rolex has a fan base and customers that are not millionaires or make 1-2-300K per year. They are risking losing that customer to say omega? who now with the 8500 is offering a solid product at 'old' rolex prices.

personally i can afford the price increases but that doesent mean im going to throw my money away stupidly.

I'll buy from the competition

**im a huge rolex fan and have defended them on many occasions, i will not defend their price increases**
Old 5 January 2012, 07:19 AM   #14
MoBe
"TRF" Member

As I have said before in this forum,it is the rise in the value of the Swiss Franc that has been responsible for most of the increase in the cost of Swiss manufactured goods over the last 18 to 24 months.Other major factors include metals prices as well as transportation costs.Add to this the decline in the value of the American dollar during this same time period and the combined effect on prices is what you see at your local AD.

You don`t have to be a Harvard economics graduate to see how closely the price increases of Rolex products has tracked the rise in the value of Swiss and the drop in the value of American currencies over the last several years.What consumers are forgetting in this situation is that the value of their currency is not absolute but rather is dependant on the value of the currency in the country where a product is produced.You only have to go as far as Washington to see how the current administration has been arguing with China over the valuation of the Yuan against the Dollar to get a measure of just how much currency valuation affects markets everywhere.

Needless to say this basic description is an oversimplification for the sake of argument only and there are many other factors involved in currency valuation.

In the case of Rolex products one other factor to consider might be the overall market strategy of the company.Perhaps the leadership in Geneva have decided it`s time to move upmarket with their product.In light of how well Rolex have weathered the economic turbulance of the last couple of years it would appear to be the right direction.All of this of course is mere speculation on my part and will never be proven until Rolex puts their marketing plan information in the public domain.

Now that the value of the Swiss Franc has been stabilized I predict that the upward trend in the price of Rolex products will slow considerably for the foreseeable future.Unfortunately these days the forseeable future is a brief period at best but lets say for the sake of this argument a minimum of 12 months.

Let`s see what happens.
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 07:25 AM   #15
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
cRAZY?

What about the Fifty Fathoms?
Old 5 January 2012, 07:27 AM   #16
RedBaronF2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
cRAZY?

What about the Fifty Fathoms?
I think it's $12,800 or $13,800 on a strap. They are often heavily discounted at ADs, though.
RedBaronF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 08:53 AM   #17
zacharylough
Banned

Watch: GMTIIC SubC LV
$10,000 even here in Kettering, Ohio at James Free Jewelers on Far Hills Avenue. Wonder why someone said $10,650?
zacharylough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 09:22 AM   #18
RedBaronF2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharylough View Post
$10,000 even here in Kettering, Ohio at James Free Jewelers on Far Hills Avenue. Wonder why someone said $10,650?
Must've been a mistake. The last time I saw a DSSD in an AD it was listed at $10,650.
RedBaronF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 10:45 AM   #19
imono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronF2001 View Post
Must've been a mistake. The last time I saw a DSSD in an AD it was listed at $10,650.
No mistake.
The MSRP is still $10650.00
imono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 10:55 AM   #20
humvee
Banned

Yes, I remember it is also $10,650 at Ben Bridge........
Old 5 January 2012, 01:26 PM   #21
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor North Flag
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss ghost View Post
Here's a solution.

Stop buying Rolex watches.

It won't stop prices rising on the basis of currency values and the price of materials and what the market will bear, but if you stop buying, you will no longer be affected.

You could also consider the used and gray markets.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 01:33 PM   #22
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor North Flag
Here's the price of a 116520 Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona per the price list of May 2011.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaytonaPrice.jpg (16.0 KB, 183 views)

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2012, 11:10 AM   #23
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Here's a solution.

Stop buying Rolex watches.

It won't stop prices rising on the basis of currency values and the price of materials and what the market will bear, but if you stop buying, you will no longer be affected.

You could also consider the used and gray markets.
whoa! easy cowboy.
Old 9 January 2012, 02:49 AM   #24
sprtrlx

hi folks,my first post,but i have been enjoying lurking and reading for quite some time.went to my local ad who had a deepsea that he quoted at msrp of $10650.my previous ad was caldwell which went south during the downturn so i indicated to this new ad that i was looking to establish a new local relationship.he offered a price mod of $1000 off and interest free financing for 12 months.he also wanted me to trade my sd that i was wearing,but i told him i am just adding to my stable and not interested in selling.from what ive read on this forum i think the real money on this transaction should require another price mod of $1000??that would bring this watch in under 9k?
sprtrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 12:45 AM   #25
HKSurfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DEEPSEA
Quote:

+1 Pure supply and demand equation from economics......do I like higher prices...no.....do I understand why it happens...yes.....pure supply and demand. ...saying this as a new buyer of the DEEPSEA two weeks ago......
HKSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 01:34 AM   #26
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtrlx View Post
hi folks,my first post,but i have been enjoying lurking and reading for quite some time.went to my local ad who had a deepsea that he quoted at msrp of $10650.my previous ad was caldwell which went south during the downturn so i indicated to this new ad that i was looking to establish a new local relationship.he offered a price mod of $1000 off and interest free financing for 12 months.he also wanted me to trade my sd that i was wearing,but i told him i am just adding to my stable and not interested in selling.from what ive read on this forum i think the real money on this transaction should require another price mod of $1000??that would bring this watch in under 9k?
I highly doubt you are going to get $2K (20% off) off of a DSSD at an AD ... The great sellers here aren't even selling new DSSD's for under $9K ... I think $9,650 (10% off) is a pretty fair price from an AD ...
wiswrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 01:37 AM   #27
Fearsome Puppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBe View Post
As I have said before in this forum,it is the rise in the value of the Swiss Franc that has been responsible for most of the increase in the cost of Swiss manufactured goods over the last 18 to 24 months.Other major factors include metals prices as well as transportation costs.Add to this the decline in the value of the American dollar during this same time period and the combined effect on prices is what you see at your local AD.

You don`t have to be a Harvard economics graduate to see how closely the price increases of Rolex products has tracked the rise in the value of Swiss and the drop in the value of American currencies over the last several years.What consumers are forgetting in this situation is that the value of their currency is not absolute but rather is dependant on the value of the currency in the country where a product is produced.You only have to go as far as Washington to see how the current administration has been arguing with China over the valuation of the Yuan against the Dollar to get a measure of just how much currency valuation affects markets everywhere.

Needless to say this basic description is an oversimplification for the sake of argument only and there are many other factors involved in currency valuation.

In the case of Rolex products one other factor to consider might be the overall market strategy of the company.Perhaps the leadership in Geneva have decided it`s time to move upmarket with their product.In light of how well Rolex have weathered the economic turbulance of the last couple of years it would appear to be the right direction.All of this of course is mere speculation on my part and will never be proven until Rolex puts their marketing plan information in the public domain.

Now that the value of the Swiss Franc has been stabilized I predict that the upward trend in the price of Rolex products will slow considerably for the foreseeable future.Unfortunately these days the forseeable future is a brief period at best but lets say for the sake of this argument a minimum of 12 months.

Let`s see what happens.
Agree totally with Mobe that the strength of the Swiss currency in recent times has been the key driver of increases rather than inflation and I'd suspect that Rolex as a company is happy with the stabilization of the Swiss Franc. In the theoretical scenario that the Swiss Franc continued to strengthen over a long long period of time Rolex would be faced with the options of being overpriced (reaching that tipping point), being less profitable or the unthinkable and moving production to a lower cost environment...