The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 November 2022, 12:09 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Very Interesting video, Mid-60s GMT restoration

https://youtu.be/la2ztR5askE

I found this extremely interesting, I wish I had ability like this!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 12:14 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Very Interesting video, Mid-60s GMT restoration

Saw this the other day. Definitely a cool video

Hang out with Jocke more and maybe some of that watchmaking skills of his will seep in
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Amazing how dirty the watch was - enough DNA to make another gramps.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 12:35 PM   #4
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
That was awesome, great find, and thank you for sharing!
fozzyf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 12:46 PM   #5
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Subscribe to his channel. It’s fantastic.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 01:01 PM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Interesting video indeed. I noticed it had a service date wheel and the watchmaker said the dial was a service part even though it has an original Mark I GMT 1675 dial which would be correct for the watch based on the 2 million serial number.

Did anyone notice the missing seconds marks at various locations on the outer dial or the missing letters from the SWISS T<25 from the bottom of the dial? It appears that a watchmaker during a previous service was a little rough removing the movement causing those dial markers and letters to be rubbed while the movement was being removed from the watch.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 03:38 PM   #7
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Interesting video indeed. I noticed it had a service date wheel and the watchmaker said the dial was a service part even though it has an original Mark I GMT 1675 dial which would be correct for the watch based on the 2 million serial number.

Did anyone notice the missing seconds marks at various locations on the outer dial or the missing letters from the SWISS T<25 from the bottom of the dial? It appears that a watchmaker during a previous service was a little rough removing the movement causing those dial markers and letters to be rubbed while the movement was being removed from the watch.
Yep, absolutely, I sure did.

Actually, no, not until you mentioned it and I went back and reviewed the tape and saw it right away with the lead you gave. Like many have said before me, it is incredible the knowledge that is on this forum, so thank you for passing that along.

Had you not mentioned that it was a result of a rough movement removal in the past I would have thought it was the result of the hands rubbing….but there isn’t wear on the dial elsewhere so now it all makes sense.

Thanks for the continuing education Springer.
fozzyf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 05:50 AM   #8
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I sure did notice the damage and that it was an MK1 and not a service dial. That said, fate has kinda worked out from my perspective. If he had a service dial in it, I would recommend sourcing a period correct one. But as it seems this is original and keeping it in its heirloom state is the only way to go. Thank god he didn't polish the case and remove all that great character from his Dad's time with the watch.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 05:57 AM   #9
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
His 1016 restoration was crazy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xasm...stwatchRevival
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 07:45 AM   #10
Dave4D
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing, watched the whole thing with great interest.
Dave4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 04:30 AM   #11
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

One of the most interesting videos I've seen in recent memory.
Gaff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 06:00 AM   #12
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Is there a thread akin to "How to ID GMT dials" here? Didn't the dials from that era have the chrome surround, around each tritium hour marker. This dial looks like the later replacement "white dot" style.

(forgive my new-bee-ness as I am only going from my memory and my own GMT from the 1980's)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen1.jpg (182.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4616aaa.JPG (246.7 KB, 124 views)
njsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 06:55 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Regarding your question njsteve, matte dials on the GMT 1675 ended during 1979. Then, the matte dial era for the GMT 16750 began and continued until early 1984. After that, all the GMTs had gold surround markers. The gold and two-tone GMTs all had gold surround "nipple" markers on their dials from the beginning until around 1984 when the markers were changed to the full size gold surround markers like those on all the other GMT models.

As far as threads on GMT dials go, check the Reference Library here on TRF. I have a thread there as well as a couple other ones.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 07:59 AM   #14
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
great video. Thanks for sharing. it's amazing how nice the movement looked compared to the exterior.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 11:53 PM   #15
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
That was an enjoyable video. Thank you for sharing
Old 29 November 2022, 12:00 AM   #16
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Regarding your question njsteve, matte dials on the GMT 1675 ended during 1979. Then, the matte dial era for the GMT 16750 began and continued until early 1984. After that, all the GMTs had gold surround markers. The gold and two-tone GMTs all had gold surround "nipple" markers on their dials from the beginning until around 1984 when the markers were changed to the full size gold surround markers like those on all the other GMT models.

As far as threads on GMT dials go, check the Reference Library here on TRF. I have a thread there as well as a couple other ones.
Thanks for info. Boy, that was a rabbithole to go down into! LOL.

P.S. Don't google "Rolex Nipples" unless it's just on this site.
njsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 01:00 AM   #17
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
Loved the video. He said it was a service dial. I think this is a mark 1 long e dial. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Looks more like the lume is all gone from the plots. Might be why he thought it was a service dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote