The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 March 2010, 02:10 PM   #61
rjm337psu
"TRF" Member

The way Rolex writes "Superlative Chronometer" and "Officially Certified" on two different lines, with no punctuation or connection between the two, implies that the two phrases are distinct. If the dial read "Officially Certified Superlative Chronometer", it would imply that it has been officially certified to be superlative. As it reads now, however, it essentially says: "This is a superlative chronometer." and "It has been officially certified."

Also, the name of the watch (submariner, GMT Master etc) is just above "Superlative Chronometer" -- it's essentially just as connected, and disconnected, to the COSC certification as the "Superlative Chronometer" phrase. It would clearly be incorrect to argue that the dial claims it be officially certified as a GMT Master, and it's similarly incorrect to argue that the dial claims it to be officially certified to be superlative.

just my two cents
Old 9 March 2010, 07:06 PM   #62
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm337psu View Post
The way Rolex writes "Superlative Chronometer" and "Officially Certified" on two different lines, with no punctuation or connection between the two, implies that the two phrases are distinct. If the dial read "Officially Certified Superlative Chronometer", it would imply that it has been officially certified to be superlative. As it reads now, however, it essentially says: "This is a superlative chronometer." and "It has been officially certified."

Also, the name of the watch (submariner, GMT Master etc) is just above "Superlative Chronometer" -- it's essentially just as connected, and disconnected, to the COSC certification as the "Superlative Chronometer" phrase. It would clearly be incorrect to argue that the dial claims it be officially certified as a GMT Master, and it's similarly incorrect to argue that the dial claims it to be officially certified to be superlative.

just my two cents
Old 10 March 2010, 04:38 PM   #63
wuzzzer
"TRF" Member

Rolex has stated that their use of "Superlative Chronometer" refers to their watches being regulated in-house to +5/-1 seconds per day - tighter tolerances than the COSC standard.
Old 10 March 2010, 07:13 PM   #64
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzzer View Post
Rolex has stated that their use of "Superlative Chronometer" refers to their watches being regulated in-house to +5/-1 seconds per day - tighter tolerances than the COSC standard.
Afraid thats just a Rolex myth all Swiss chronometers meet the same standards.And today most mechanical movements all brands and countries could pass the COSC test.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 11 March 2010, 03:30 PM   #65
wuzzzer
"TRF" Member

Why do they publish this so-called myth then?
Old 11 March 2010, 03:35 PM   #66
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I notice that on its Superocean Heritage line, Breitling uses "Chronometre'' followed by "Officiellement Certifie'' which in total is one word less than Rolex.
Old 11 March 2010, 03:39 PM   #67
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
Superlative is a superlative, and who doesn't like superlatives :)
Old 11 March 2010, 08:52 PM   #68
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzzer View Post
Why do they publish this so-called myth then?
Well myself have never found the spec you said quoted officially by Rolex.Now below is a link picture direct from the Rolex web,under there Superlative Chronometer a link to www.COSC.COM.

The first column applies to Rolex watches

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 18 March 2010, 01:03 AM   #69
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
This is what Rolex has to say about the term "Superlative Chronograph Officially Certified."
SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER

The four simple words SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED engraved on the timepiece’s dial mean that the movement of this watch has endured 15 days and nights of testing by the COSC (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres), an independent not-for-profit association.

To receive COSC certification- a watch must demonstrate
extreme precision in a variety of positions and temperatures– the standard level of quality for every Rolex Chronometer.

http://www.rolex.com/sites/4/e-brochures/explorer.pdf
That may not explain everything, but that's what Rolex has to say about it.
Old 18 March 2010, 01:56 AM   #70
jets
"TRF" Member

Check my sig, they should just make them "Superlativally Certified"
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
Old 10 January 2013, 04:09 PM   #71
simplyswt
"TRF" Member

I have a lady's Datejust Oyster Perpetual and there isn't a "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" stamp on it.. also is the back cap suppose to have printings?
Closed Thread