The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 June 2013, 01:10 AM   #31
psv
"TRF" Member

Napoli is infamous for these type of thefts, they get the rich tourists right off the cruise ships with their gold and TT Rolex watches.

Glad no one got seriously hurt.
Old 8 June 2013, 04:55 AM   #32
thiefhunter
"TRF" Member

Hi Everyone. Just a few words on Rolex theft: Yes, it happens, and yes, you should not flaunt (wear) your Rolex in certain cities if you want to be sure you'll keep it. In Naples (a city I love), just wear something else. I study and report on theft around the world, and as you'll see from the links above, which are to my blog and the documentary National Geographic made about my husband Bob Arno and me, Naples is our best and favorite laboratory.

The Rolex thieves in Naples are not kids, MP5. And superlollo is right: in Naples (among other cities): just don't wear it.

No, you won't necessarily see it coming. In one common method, the thieves sneak up on you from behind on a scooter with the engine turned off. You don't hear it—they just roll up, pin you from behind, and snatch it off your wrist. The Rolex clasp looks strong and safe, but the weak point is the tiny pins that attach the watch to the bracelet. See "How to Steal a Rolex" at http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/2008...steal-a-rolex/

I love the description in the article gbany posted above: "Naples really is a paradise inhabited by devils." So true, but they are warm and otherwise good-hearted devils, if you can say that about a thief. I call Naples "the city of hugs and thugs."
Old 1 August 2013, 08:45 AM   #33
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
I used to direct a group who travelled internationally 8 months out of the year. In their training packet I had put a provision that the watch they wore should cost $100 or less (e.g. Casio G-Shock). I wasn't worried about the watches, but the persons who were wearing them!
Old 1 August 2013, 08:59 AM   #34
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiefhunter View Post
Hi Everyone. Just a few words on Rolex theft: Yes, it happens, and yes, you should not flaunt (wear) your Rolex in certain cities if you want to be sure you'll keep it. In Naples (a city I love), just wear something else. I study and report on theft around the world, and as you'll see from the links above, which are to my blog and the documentary National Geographic made about my husband Bob Arno and me, Naples is our best and favorite laboratory.

The Rolex thieves in Naples are not kids, MP5. And superlollo is right: in Naples (among other cities): just don't wear it.

No, you won't necessarily see it coming. In one common method, the thieves sneak up on you from behind on a scooter with the engine turned off. You don't hear it—they just roll up, pin you from behind, and snatch it off your wrist. The Rolex clasp looks strong and safe, but the weak point is the tiny pins that attach the watch to the bracelet. See "How to Steal a Rolex" at http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/2008...steal-a-rolex/

I love the description in the article gbany posted above: "Naples really is a paradise inhabited by devils." So true, but they are warm and otherwise good-hearted devils, if you can say that about a thief. I call Naples "the city of hugs and thugs."
Unbelievable You say that "Everyone is wearing Rolex watches and the kids of thieves wear Rolex watches yet they don't have 1 euro in their pockets" yet the cops don't do anything. I said it a million times if your in unfamiliar area leave the watch home or worse case take it off and put it in your front pocket if need be. Hope you friend can recover it but chances are better hitting the lotto sad to say.
TRF member #917
Old 1 August 2013, 09:23 AM   #35
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Very good articl but even it states kids as well as the previous article of the 007.
Old 1 August 2013, 09:29 AM   #36
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I love this city. But it is the only place I have been hit on by a hooker in the midlle on the afternoon. Wonder what she really wanted. Be careful out there.
Old 1 August 2013, 09:32 AM   #37
T.S.Eliot
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
You are very correct. Sadly this is one of those is it safe to wear my Rolex in Naples.....many would have said, yes, don't be absurd. Not a face palm question now.
I walk around Buenos Aires head on swivel and take aggressive precautions to discourage snatchings, yes in safe Argentina. But guess what, to me, no where is really safe.
I hope his watch is returned.
A friend of mine was attacked by a mugger trying to forcibly remove his Daytona from his wrist in midday in a famous Buenos Aires neighborhood but luckily was not able to
"Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, / Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep seas swell / And the profit and loss. / A current under sea / Picked his bones in whispers. / As he rose and fell / He passed the stages of his age and youth / Entering the whirlpool. / Gentile or Jew / O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, / Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

Cheers,
K
Old 1 August 2013, 09:40 AM   #38
T.S.Eliot
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Napoli is infamous for these type of thefts, they get the rich tourists right off the cruise ships with their gold and TT Rolex watches.

Glad no one got seriously hurt.
Spot on, on our way to Rome from Capri We had to pass by Napoli to get the train and was told to take off my watch.

What is amazing is that Italians are probably the most people wearing Rolex watches and is very common to see them in the wild.
"Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, / Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep seas swell / And the profit and loss. / A current under sea / Picked his bones in whispers. / As he rose and fell / He passed the stages of his age and youth / Entering the whirlpool. / Gentile or Jew / O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, / Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

Cheers,
K
Old 1 August 2013, 11:02 AM   #39
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

What a shame, I am very glad the injuries were not serious. Please always be careful in unfamiliar places and among strangers. Not everyone is as respectful as they should be.
Old 1 August 2013, 11:48 AM   #40
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Just spent two weeks in Italy and Naples (and the train station) was the low point for sure. Many unlicensed "cab drivers" were offering rides and many other questionable fellows were discovered along the way.

I am sorry for the stolen watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.Eliot View Post
Spot on, on our way to Rome from Capri We had to pass by Napoli to get the train and was told to take off my watch.

What is amazing is that Italians are probably the most people wearing Rolex watches and is very common to see them in the wild.
Old 1 August 2013, 02:49 PM   #41
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'm taking the wife for a long-promised trip to the Bay of Naples, inevitably via the city itself, next April, and I'm already thinking about anti-theft measures. Anyone got any good tips for concealing watches on the road? I'm wondering if a wrist sweatband wouldn't be more conspicuous than it's worth.
Old 1 August 2013, 04:34 PM   #42
Jannal
"TRF" Member

Don't wear your Rolex watch.
Seiko: SBGX117 / SBGX335 / 7548 / SNE543P1
Old 1 August 2013, 07:56 PM   #43
MaxCargo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'm taking the wife for a long-promised trip to the Bay of Naples, inevitably via the city itself, next April, and I'm already thinking about anti-theft measures. Anyone got any good tips for concealing watches on the road? I'm wondering if a wrist sweatband wouldn't be more conspicuous than it's worth.
http://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/62...0/Default.aspx
Old 1 August 2013, 11:11 PM   #44
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxCargo View Post
Very cool item. I wonder if they fit Subs/Sea-Dwellers, old and new.
Old 1 August 2013, 11:30 PM   #45
MonBK
Banned

There was a "can I wear my watch" in Naples thread a few weeks ago and the majority answered of course you can, so now what?
Old 1 August 2013, 11:40 PM   #46
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Go the option of wearing something cheap that will not represent any true loss, and leave your Rolex at home. It will only be for short while and you will enjoy your trip more!
Old 2 August 2013, 03:00 AM   #47
adam78
"TRF" Member

Partially in response to this thread (and so that I can handy-carry a single Rolex back, just in case ), I just bought this very modest but well-made Orient Star Classic in preparation for a trip to Italy (not Naples, however) in a few months. Nice watch for a few hundred+ bucks. I wanted one with a reliable and accurate mechanical movement, so I wouldn't have to worry about resetting it for a long time. I suppose I could have worn a quartz watch, but that would grate on my sensibilities!

Old 2 August 2013, 03:16 AM   #48
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I will never, and I mean NEVER go back to Naples or Italy in general ever again. I've been to nearly every other country in Europe but Italy treated us very badly. At one point, we were without food or water for 36hrs. Long, long story obviously but it was animalistic the way we were treated.
Old 2 August 2013, 03:12 PM   #49
andypandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolrx GMT Master
Are you kidding ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
Never been to Naples, but...and i'm not trying to sound out of line here either but I refuse to believe that. Is the crime rate really that bad there?
The crime rate in Napoli is WORSE than is reported ! . A lot of crime is unreported. Anyone visiting Napoli , should heed the following advice. Dress down , wear a G-Shock , have a wallet that fastens onto your belt
and then goes inside your trousers , carry a decoy wallet in one of your front pockets. Ladies , don't wear gold jewellery , the motor scooter thieves will snatch necklaces of your neck , you're wasting your time wearing your shoulder bags around your neck , they cut them with knives.
Best idea , don't go to Naples . How do I know these things ? , I'm Italian ,
I lived there.
Old 2 August 2013, 03:47 PM   #50
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
I will never, and I mean NEVER go back to Naples or Italy in general ever again. I've been to nearly every other country in Europe but Italy treated us very badly. At one point, we were without food or water for 36hrs. Long, long story obviously but it was animalistic the way we were treated.

That's a story I'd like to hear, were you locked up?
Old 2 August 2013, 05:20 PM   #51
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
Naples is a very sad city, which is unfortunate because it could be so much more. Trash is everywhere because the mafia is so deeply involved in the inner workings of the city. I've been to Naples 3 or 4 times and never had any issue wearing my watch, but I'm also mindful of my environment. There are some rather high-end shops in the port area, including a Rolex dealer, so be aware of your surroundings and remember that you can always slip off your watch into your front pocket when your gut is telling you to do so. Thieves want easy targets, not hard ones.
FWIW, the Northern Italy region is beautiful - once you get South of Florence though, it gets worse until you South of Rome.
Old 2 August 2013, 11:25 PM   #52
fedefiore
"TRF" Member

You do not wear a Rolex in Naples ! Please stop doing that.
Old 2 August 2013, 11:30 PM   #53
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
I absolutely love Italy. Florence, Venice, Positano ... even Rome, all very nice and safe. A great place to spend your money.

Naples, not so good. The train station is requires one to keep their eyes open. It's basic street smarts. Move with a purpose, chin up, eyes open, and all the rest. Even the area surrounding pompeii isn't the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMatt View Post
Naples is a very sad city, which is unfortunate because it could be so much more. Trash is everywhere because the mafia is so deeply involved in the inner workings of the city. I've been to Naples 3 or 4 times and never had any issue wearing my watch, but I'm also mindful of my environment. There are some rather high-end shops in the port area, including a Rolex dealer, so be aware of your surroundings and remember that you can always slip off your watch into your front pocket when your gut is telling you to do so. Thieves want easy targets, not hard ones.
FWIW, the Northern Italy region is beautiful - once you get South of Florence though, it gets worse until you South of Rome.
Old 3 August 2013, 12:52 AM   #54
bplein
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-IIC
A few years back, when my only Rolex (or equivalent) watch was my old DJ 16013 that was my daily watch, I bought a relatively cheap Seiko Kinetic to wear for a family trip to Europe. It had the stick dial I liked, and was easy to read (gold on dark dark gray including the bracelet that looks nothing like a Rolex). It was also a color combo that Rolex and other high end brands simply don't put out.

I figured it would grab attention of any watch thief who would quickly dismiss it (grin), yet it still looked reasonably classy.

I really haven't worn it since. But I never once worried about watch thieves during my trip (half of which was spent in Florence and Rome). I was on constant guard about my wallet and my teenage daughters, especially during our tour of the Colosseum in Rome. In fact, another gentleman on our tour was pickpocketed while we waited for our guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-08-02 10.01.11.jpg (106.6 KB, 157 views)
2013 Tudor Black Bay 79220R
2014 Milgauss 116400
Wife: 2015 Lady-Datejust 179160
Old 3 August 2013, 02:02 AM   #55
nick c
Banned

Very sad news sorry to hear
Old 3 August 2013, 03:15 AM   #56
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbany View Post
I am really sorry for your friend. I have read the article below few months ago.

"Promenade, snatch Rolex patacca to 007 German

Embarrassment and ironies of the staff of the President of Germany Joachim Gauck in Naples with the President of Poland to meet at Villa Rosebery President of the Republic Giorgio Napolitano The head of the German security has been robbed of his Rolex on the seafront, a few steps from the Hotel Excelsior. Chief of the 007 - Sunday night - it was on the waterfront and came back to the hotel when a baby-gang armed with a toy gun, he blocked and swift action with him marched the watch from your wrist and then run away, surprising the head of security of the President of Germany Particular should not be overlooked: the robbery took place on a street Partenope reinforced by the presence of heads of state. Enjoyed The policeman has unveiled its "misadventure" trusting to his interlocutors between a laugh and the other that knowing the reputation of Naples in terms of skills among thieves', previously before landing in the city, worn on the wrist a perfect copy of Rolex of little value in short, a real fake. The 007 proved to be happy and grinning to the idea of having "stand up" with a "contropacco" delinquents Naples Of course it remains an ill-concealed embarrassment, the head of security - which in its tasks - should protect the safety of a head of state was made to steal his watch. It is to take heart: it could be worse If it were, however, of an attack by a group of terrorists remained very little to laugh about "Fortunately," it was "only" baby-snatchers Neapolitan apprenticeship in the "trade." No celebration of our crime, no wink, no hesitation, however Naples really is a paradise inhabited by devils. There is little to be done now so do the Germans, the lords of the spread."
Have always thought that the "Germans were the Lords of the spread"... made a killin on the superbowl last year with a tip from my German bookie Hans....
Old 3 August 2013, 03:31 AM   #57
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
At one point, we were without food or water for 36hrs.
Would love to hear the short version of this, what happened?
Old 3 August 2013, 07:16 AM   #58
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Sorry to read the sad news Marcello . . . . .

HAGOne

Old 4 August 2013, 12:11 AM   #59
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
This is terrible. I'm supposed to be going to Italy next year with my twin sister. I hate to have to leave my watches home but I think that I just might do that. Plus, if someone tried to steal my watch off of my wrist, I would probably end up in jail for what I would do to them! I have Ninja hands
Old 4 August 2013, 02:47 AM   #60
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that news!
Closed Thread