The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 February 2011, 12:22 PM   #1
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c LV, GMT's
Tourneau & Rolex 116610LV

Hello everyone. I've been a member of this forum for a little while now, after deciding I'm ready to purchase my first Rolex.

I haven't made any significant posts before but I thought it was time to come out of my shell.

I've been searching for several months to purchase a green ceramic Sub. I've searched many local ADs to no avail.

This past weekend I decided to go to the Tourneau located in the King of Prussia Mall to see if they might be able to get their hands on one. The experience was less than desirable, to say the least. I reluctantly provided my information anyway - with the hopes they would contact me stating they had found the watch.

This afternoon I received a call from the salesman I had worked with, indicating that he had in his possession a 16610 LV 50th anniversary model, even though I told him I was only interested in the new ceramic Sub. He cautioned me that this was the only watch of this kind available in their entire worldwide database.

He also told me that if I purchased this watch, I would not receive a certificate of authenticity and I would not receive any guarantee/warranty from Tourneau. After all this was a moot point, considering I didn't want the watch in the first place - I graciously listened to what he had to say and indicated I'd contact him if I decided to purchase that watch.

Furthermore, he stated that I should consider putting a deposit down in the even some other store called and wanted that watch for a customer. I told my wife I thought it was a sales tactic and I'd get a call stating another customer wanted the watch. Wouldn't you know - within an hour I received a phone call from the salesman stating they miraculously received a phone call from another store that had an interested buyer already. He also stated he would try to get his manager to hold it for me if I'd come purchase it the next day.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed in Tourneau and the whole AD experience. I know the watch is desirable, but I find it hard to believe that none of these sources can even get close.

I should reach out to the TRF reputable sellers. Seems like Tony (JustRolexes), DavidSW, Mosco, and OscarBodyBump might be the way to go. If anyone can offer any guidance or direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

liptonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
vmm
"TRF" Member

I'm a newbie here as well. Haven't heard anything but negative comments about Tourneau. My brother has gone in and most of them will turn their noses up at customers. I had a reasonable experience buying my GMT II C at Ben Bridge but there was no discount. They recently had their traveling road show of used watches come through and that was really disappointing. They were basically charging close to new prices on watches which the sales people knew very little about and came without box, papers, or any documentation. They did at least offer a one year warranty. But the prices were as much as new in some instances for a refurbished watch. Pass. I just purchased from DavidSWQ but have heard good things about Tony, Mosco, and OscarBodyBump as well. This is a cool place and you'll learn a lot.
vmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 03:02 PM   #3
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
just typical, some uneducated salesmen, who has no clue that you dont need to hard sell a fine and expensive product when the buyer wants something similar and MORE expensive. just morons. dont let that put you off, i have had several great deal with AD's but one ( that i have bought from before) tried the 'hard' sell on me with a Panerai that is hard to find.
They said it woudl be 6 weeks. so i paid a deposit. After that it was still not here, he says oh its another 4 weeks. so i thought i would push him. I said fine i will take that other panerai a base model that was 2/3 price instead as it had just come in it and i coudl see it/ try it on and i liked it. lo and behold the one i wanted one popped out the safe.

Everything else from there has always been exemplary but that time i just thought... what do you take me for and if they hadn't been so very helpful previously i would have told them that i was taking my business elsewhere.

Every other experience has been wonderful in an AD for me

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Nate, welcome to the Forum.....I know there are great sellers here on the Forum but please understand not all AD's act like Tourneau. There really are some good AD's out there...I know I found one!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 03:51 PM   #5
hoops10
Banned

Hi Nate, just thought I would add my 2 cents. I am by know means an expert on AD's or Rolex's watches for that matter. I currently have one DJ and I am awaiting delivery on another Rolex. I too have not been impressed with Tourneau and would not consider making a purchase, from them, in my area. I have dealt with Ben Bridge and they have always been extremely professional, patient and courteous to me. Because I am relatively new to fine watches I spend a lot of time in the shop looking and asking questions. They have never pushed me to make a purchase or brush me aside when other customers arrive within the store. I would highly recommend my AD to anyone, she is phenomenal. Just as Leo stated there are great sellers on the Forum and also so great AD's out there. Glad you got your watch in the end.
hoops10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 04:17 PM   #6
nch209
"TRF" Member

Welcome Nate,

There are many good sellers, and authorized sellers, and some bad. The end of the story needs to have YOU happy, with both the watch and the steps to acquire it. My advise, be patient, shop around and check out the "For Sale" section here. The sellers you mentioned are all top notch, but there are many other good resellers too. Hint- take a peak at the "Who's Who section- I know some ceramic subs went for screaming good deals in the past few weeks here!

You are in good company here! Sit back, relax, and do some research---I see your Sub coming in no time flat!!!

-n8
Old 10 February 2011, 04:27 PM   #7
vmm
"TRF" Member

Just reread my post. I will say that the Ben Bridge experience buying the new watch was very good. Reasonable was not a good choice of words. They were patient professional and helpful. Just didn't think their traveling roadshow of refurbished watches was a good deal. Local Panerai AD are very friendly but do make you feel like a small discount is a gift from the gods! Forget it if you're on the waiting list for one of the new models (i.e. the PAM 372)
vmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I'm still excited to hear the first positive post about Tourneau.
Old 10 February 2011, 08:52 PM   #9
handdoc
"TRF" Member

i would pursue finding the watch with one of the excellent sellers on the forum

i have personal experience w/ gagan navani at elite time (boston/nyc) and have bought several watches from him with nothing but outstanding service...he is a seller here as well
handdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 10:50 PM   #10
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
I would also recommend one of the trusted sellers on here. I am wearing my SubC LV now as I type that I bought from DavidSW. Having said that not all ADs are bad experiences. A lot of us have had bad experiences at Tourneau but don't rule out all ADs as bad. Plenty qualified ADs out there willing to help and provide wonderful service.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 11:19 PM   #11
SohAIS
⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Patek, Rolex
Welcome Nate. I dont know about other AD but i have only heard good things about the trusted sellers on TRF.
SohAIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 11:34 PM   #12
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
Not all Tourneau stores are bad. I've had two positive experiences from two different Tourneau stores, purchasing a GMT IIC from one and an Omega Speedy Pro from the other. In both cases, I received decent discounts. The key is to be an educated shopper, knowing what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it. Be the aggressor in the transaction. As far as pre owned, Tourneau does give a one year Tourneau warranty.
Old 10 February 2011, 11:57 PM   #13
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Generally speaking - Tourneau

Other (read smaller / local) ADs & trusted TRF sellers

Tourneau mostly treats customers like they're selling used cars and I would avoid bringing them your business. Their showroom is fun for window shopping because they carry all brands but that's about it for me. As stated there are occasional good experiences. I had one when I bought an IWC years ago but then also had several others that turned me off.

I never ceased to be amazed by these kind of stories. Those sales people seem to think that most customers are idiots and blinded by buying a Rolex. The fact is consumers today have never been more informed and will research spending thousands on a watch every bit as much as a car, boat, appliance, etc...

I am sure that a Sub LV is available through many channels if you want one. I highly doubt that there is only one left worldwide and that watch in PA happens to be it. What a load of rubbish!

Check out this site for one example: capetownstore.com

Here is an LV for sale right now: http://www.capetownstore.com/Merchan...de=Rolex-N-SUB
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 11:58 PM   #14
rahpower
"TRF" Member

I went into Tourneau to look at watches and also was not overly impressed. My shopping experience started out nicely but went downhill from there.

I began by chatting with a woman in the pre-owned section. She was very nice. We talked for a bit about various watches. I then told her that I was interested in some new watches as well. She walked me around the store showing me different things. She was friendly and helpful.

Once we got to the new Rolex section, however, she left me to speak with an employee who worked that section. He wouldn't even got off the phone to talk to me or acknowledge my presence. After a few minutes, I went to another department to peruse. I stood there looking through the cases at various watches for another few minutes. The employee in that section also couldn't be bothered to acknowledge my presence.

I left and went to Wempe. Wow, what a completely different experience. They were incredibly helpful. I sat down and they provided me with espresso and truffles and answered all of my questions. When I said that I wished that I could compare a new model with a previous model they didn't have in stock, the salespersonn tracked down another saleperson who was wearing the previous model and brought it over for me to compare, even leaving me with the two watches to compare and view at my leisure. It was a very pleasant shopping experience and extremely low pressure. One saleperson told me that they didn't operate on commission so that probably plays into the low pressure tactics.

Disregarding my Tourneau experience in general, the only thing bad that I have to say about the new woman at Tourneau is that she also tried to get me to put down a deposit for a pre-owned that interested me in the event that one came in. I declined. I just hope that she doesn't turn into such a worthless salesperson after working there for a while like the rest of the employees I encountered.
rahpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2011, 12:47 AM   #15
conrail
"TRF" Member

I actually had a good experience w/ that King of Prussia one, but it was entirely over the phone and I got some older sounding woman. That said, what you've described has been my early watch buying experience at every Tourneau. Yuck.
Old 11 February 2011, 01:38 AM   #16
renfield33
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Pepsi
i think a lot of ADs will provide good service, but you also need to be realistic. if you honestly think you're going to walk into an AD with no relationship and get a discount on a hard to find sports model, you're crazy. you're going to be lucky to find an LV anywhere, and you're going to pay full price.

as far as the pressure sales tactics, you just have to be educated and know that it is all crap. they're just trying to make a buck!

my only experience at an AD was with a datejust that i wanted. they didn't have it, they got it from NYC in 10 days, and i got 15% off. i wouldn't expect that for a sports model.

bottom line, if you want a good price on a hard to find model, you're best off with a trusted TRF seller like davidsw.
Old 11 February 2011, 01:39 AM   #17
garGARgar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Tourneau is awesome! They had a pre-owned Zenith Daytona in stock they were pushing me for ONLY $15,000!!!
Old 11 February 2011, 12:31 PM   #18
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses. I am glad to see I am not alone! I will probably go with someone on TRF to get my watch. Just 2 be clear, I did not expect 2 get a discount on this watch from Tourneau. Also, I do have an extensive relationship with a local AD. They can't procure the watch. Thanks - Nate
Old 11 February 2011, 12:45 PM   #19
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
That's too bad you had that experience there. Even though it was not the model you want and is used not new . . . at least it's green, right?
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2011, 01:54 PM   #20
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by liptonnr View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I am glad to see I am not alone! I will probably go with someone on TRF to get my watch. Just 2 be clear, I did not expect 2 get a discount on this watch from Tourneau. Also, I do have an extensive relationship with a local AD. They can't procure the watch. Thanks - Nate
I would try other local AD's or as you have mentioned working with one of the fine trusted sellers here on the forum... They will not have the "AD" experience but as you have experienced this is not always a positive one. The sellers here on TRF will treat you as a king though and provide you with a very positive experience, they have me on numerous occasions

Good Luck, I just flipped my green ceramic LV, it just wasnt me. I would highly recommend trying thsi watch on in person rather than just looking at photos
Old 11 February 2011, 02:07 PM   #21
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Nate, go to Benari's in Exton or stay here. I have bought from a number of sellers here and have saved money and received great products. I have been treated poorly at that store too.
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2011, 02:16 PM   #22
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
I would NEVER NEVER EVER buy from a AD.... Sory for the caps, just wanted to point out my distaste....Their prices are crap and the whole experience is overated and the prices you pay at an AD, not worth it.

Buy from trusted sellers in TRF and save a bundle.

John
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2011, 05:20 PM   #23
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Tourneau San Diego had a used (lug hole) Polar Explorer II in average shape for $5,500 ... how could I turn that down?

Tourneau Costa Mesa (South Coast Plaza Mall) had what they called a "never used" SS Daytona Zenith (black dial) that they claim sat in a safe and was never worn offered at $17,900 ... not sure how I held myself back on that one either.

They seem out of touch.

I bought my SubC LV from Tony (JustRolexes) and it was a great experience. Since then, I've purchased two other Subs from him ... always first class.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2011, 01:51 AM   #24
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Tourneau San Diego had a used (lug hole) Polar Explorer II in average shape for $5,500 ... how could I turn that down?

Tourneau Costa Mesa (South Coast Plaza Mall) had what they called a "never used" SS Daytona Zenith (black dial) that they claim sat in a safe and was never worn offered at $17,900 ... not sure how I held myself back on that one either.

They seem out of touch.

I bought my SubC LV from Tony (JustRolexes) and it was a great experience. Since then, I've purchased two other Subs from him ... always first class.
That's disgusting. Completely out of touch. And you know when they got that watch from some guy they were telling him oh prices have fallen, look, most are going for $9-11k at best. If some poor schmuck buys it at that price they'll make $6-7k off of that watch.
Old 12 February 2011, 01:56 AM   #25
Puffy
"TRF" Member

I must go to Tourneau when I hit the States next week, all you hear about them is utter crap...
Old 12 February 2011, 02:15 AM   #26
donnapg

I had a similiar experience at Tourneau on 57th in NYC a few weeks ago. Went down the block to Wempe and had the complete opposite experience.

Seems like Tourneau doesn't care if the sell watches, and Wempe does.

Wempe ordered a watch for me to try on last time I was there. Called yesterday that they got it in. Going in tomorrow to see if I like it in person. If I don't - no problem.
donnapg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2011, 02:16 AM   #27
Lgear080
Banned

Buy an original chicken sandwich at chik-fil-a. The experience
Will be far more memorable. Tourneau sucks, has sucked, and
Will continue to suck until it goes away. Awful service at multiple
Locations paired w lack of product knowledge is a recipe for failure.

You'd think they are totally oblivious! Read what your real customers
Say about you.

Get a clue tourneau.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2011, 01:22 PM   #28
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Looks like DavidSW and I will be making this happen. I knew he would come through. I am awaiting details from him on how to proceed.
Old 12 February 2011, 10:59 PM   #29
chazha
"TRF" Member

Watch: mickey watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
I must go to Tourneau when I hit the States next week, all you hear about them is utter crap...
Im about to visit US for the first time in my life. Really looking forward to visit a Tourrneau as soon my flight touches the ground!! :D
Old 12 February 2011, 11:15 PM   #30
JVP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k Submariner
Nate,
I was in the King of Prussia store before Christmas where I couldn't get anyone to wait on me. When someone came over, he seemed to "talk down to me." I returned later with a small Neiman Marcus bag and then when me sleeve lifted to reveal my 18k Sub...they couldn't do enough for me. I made sure to do this in fornt of the first salesman who couldn't be bothered. Caldwell Jewlers in the KOP Mall is also an AD Rolex dealer. They are very nice and if you feel like taking a 45 drive to their Delaware location (Christiana Mall) you can save the sales tax. Good luck!
John
JVP is offline   Reply With Quote