The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 May 2016, 06:24 PM   #1
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

Rolex 16800 sappihre Crystal question

Good afternoon everyone. I need to replace the crystal of my submariner 16800 but I was told that the Rolex service centers will replace it with the newer ones that has the laser crown etched in it. Is there anyway I could still buy the original period correct crystal? (No crown etched) and does anyone know what the code is for these specific crystal. Thanks in advance.
vintagemyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 09:04 PM   #2
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Everyone is always so caught-up with 'period correct' and 'hurting potential resale value'. IMHO, a crystal swap....ESPECIALLY in a sapphire crystal model does not hurt potential value at all. Just have a modern crystal installed and be done with it.

JMHO

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 09:35 PM   #3
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
be happy ,,, smile , and move on , you wont see the lazer crown , unless you go looking , even then its tricky ,, and as a bonus you will know its a genuine service part. win win
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 09:46 PM   #4
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Go all in and ask for the AR cyclops version!

Modern and improved...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 11:10 PM   #5
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

its just a matter of preference for me. Don't really care about the value as I don't plan to sell this watch anyway. I started this thread simply to ask the model of the crystal and if anyone can point me to the right direction in finding one since there's a lot of Rolex experts here that are very helpful. If I wanted your sarcastic opinion I could have just entitled the thread...."sarcastic opinions needed badly for my 16800 crystal" then your answer would have been perfect.
Old 2 May 2016, 11:54 PM   #6
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Okay. Maybe it's a LA thing?
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2016, 12:55 AM   #7
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

First of all, OP needs to chill out a bit.

Secondly - simply place a WTB ad here and on VRF/VRM to get your plain old period-correct crystal. If anyone has one, you'll soon learn the part number, or try google.

Good luck.
Old 3 May 2016, 04:58 AM   #8
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Doesn't the service crystal has an "s" rather than a crown?

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2016, 05:17 AM   #9
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Grammatically speaking, I'm not sure any one of those answers would qualify as sarcasm. Direct, dismissive of a vintage sapphire obsession, and light on the sensitivity? Sure.
But, that's about it.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2016, 09:40 PM   #10
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

Nice to see the gangs all here to support each other. Don't forget to do the keg stand, play beer pong while you all shout your sorority chant together. It's not a LA thing brah it's actually called manners in some parts of the world to keep your rude unsolicited comments or whatever u guys wna call it to yourself. Btw I am chill, this is just how I react when sorrounded with lots of BS. Cheers!
Old 3 May 2016, 10:04 PM   #11
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

Everyone is always so caught-up with 'Their own ego's' and 'being such an expert in watches'. IMHO, an EGO swap....ESPECIALLY in a forum the encourages watch enthusiast to help each other does not hurt potential value at all. Just have a helpful mind installed and be done with it

JMHO

Best regards
Myk

Just say no to polishing your ego
I wear inexpensive watches cuz thats all I can afford
you perplex me
Old 4 May 2016, 12:10 AM   #12
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemyk View Post
Nice to see the gangs all here to support each other. Don't forget to do the keg stand, play beer pong while you all shout your sorority chant together. It's not a LA thing brah it's actually called manners in some parts of the world to keep your rude unsolicited comments or whatever u guys wna call it to yourself. Btw I am chill, this is just how I react when sorrounded with lots of BS. Cheers!
At the risk of offense, I'd suggest you're a poor judge of character if you see a fraternity (by the way, sororities are for women) culture within these comments. I can't speak for the other fellows, but I'm still trying to interpret exactly how the first few comments were so offensive to you, and of a college frat culture? (I, for one, was not only not EVER a part of that culture, but was mercilessly harassed by those guys growing up, as I was very deep in an alternative/punk culture back in the early 80s and looked the part). While I can definitely see how they were comments of a spirited and opinionated manner, I didn't find them offensive.
That said, I do believe that it's not my or anyone elses place to tell another person (in this case, you) how they should feel, or whether something should offend them. So, I'm genuinely sorry if you were offended. But, in this case, I do think you're misinterpreting what's been posted. And keep in mind, the "tone" of a posted comment doesn't always accurately reflect the attitude of the person behind it. And I'm quite certain there was never any malicious intent with ANYthing posted here, or judgement about you or anyone else...until your backlash about us all being no more than keg stands and beer pong and whatnot, which was terribly offensive! (That last bit WAS sarcasm, just to be clear)
Cheers
Old 4 May 2016, 01:07 AM   #13
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I will say that the first few responses although not terrible, they were a bit aggressive considering WE as a vintage watch community care greatly about the details. Therefore the OP asking the part # for a crystal without the "etched crown" or "S" for his 16800 is not out of the ordinary or unreasonable.

OP: you should send a Private Message to ALPINO here on the forums and I am sure he will know the exact model # for the crystal you desire.

Best of luck in your search!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 01:16 AM   #14
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
I will say that the first few responses although not terrible, they were a bit aggressive considering WE as a vintage watch community care greatly about the details. Therefore the OP asking the part # for a crystal without the "etched crown" or "S" for his 16800 is not out of the ordinary or unreasonable.

OP you should PM ALPINO her on the forums and I am sure he will know the exact model # for the crystal you desire.

I agree. I was only attempting to suggest that the first few comments weren't intentionally rude or aggressive.

Personally, I just don't like being called a frat boy!
Old 4 May 2016, 01:19 AM   #15
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
I agree. I was only attempting to suggest that the first few comments weren't intentionally rude or aggressive.

Personally, I just don't like being called a frat boy!
The OP definitely took it too far, and I agree I do not want to be labeled either!
Old 4 May 2016, 01:50 AM   #16
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0.jpg (32.4 KB, 185 views)
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 02:10 AM   #17
ViperB
2024 Pledge Member

The part number for the 16610 crystal is B25-295-C2-C1. It is not available from Rolex right now and may have been be discontinued.
ViperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 02:23 AM   #18
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

OP: you should send a Private Message to ALPINO here on the forums and I am sure he will know the exact model # for the crystal you desire.

Thanks man for the help, appreciate it. That's All I needed to hear. You have been the first helpful post in this thread. Thank you once again.
Old 4 May 2016, 02:25 AM   #19
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperB View Post
The part number for the 16610 crystal is B25-295-C2-C1. It is not available from Rolex right now and may have been be discontinued.
Thank you. That's just what I needed. I tried to google it but wasn't able to find the correct code. Is the crystal for 16610 and 16800 the same?
Old 4 May 2016, 02:40 AM   #20
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. That's just what I needed. I tried to google it but wasn't able to find the correct code. Is the crystal for 16610 and 16800 the same?
Your welcome

The crystals are the same, however since you specifically want one without the markings you will need to clarify that detail with the seller since the part # probably did not change once they added the LEC (laser etched crown).
Old 4 May 2016, 02:47 AM   #21
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
At the risk of offense, I'd suggest you're a poor judge of character if you see a fraternity (by the way, sororities are for women)
WOW kingface66 you probably won't know sarcasm even if it Farted in your face. Now I know why You don't find the other comments sarcastic at all. And that my friends is how u get labeled as a frat boy....my pretending to be smart but DAF. i don't need to know your childhood sob stories here. There are other forums for that. I just needed to know the crystal code which fortunately some gentlemen here have already helped me wtih. ( there's no sarcasm here. I meant every word)
Old 4 May 2016, 02:51 AM   #22
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your welcome

The crystals are the same, however since you specifically want one without the markings you will need to clarify that detail with the seller since the part # probably did not change once they added the LEC (laser etched crown).
Thank you once again. I would like to apologize to you if you find my other comments in this thread offensive.
Old 4 May 2016, 02:54 AM   #23
ViperB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, they both use the same sapphire crystal.
Old 4 May 2016, 03:00 AM   #24
vintagemyk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperB View Post
Yes, they both use the same sapphire crystal.
Thank you
Old 4 May 2016, 03:02 AM   #25
ViperB
2024 Pledge Member

You're welcome.
Old 5 May 2016, 04:37 PM   #26
John in MA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good afternoon everyone. I need to replace the crystal of my submariner 16800 but I was told that the Rolex service centers will replace it with the newer ones that has the laser crown etched in it. Is there anyway I could still buy the original period correct crystal? (No crown etched) and does anyone know what the code is for these specific crystal. Thanks in advance.
Send me a PM. I might still have the original I removed from my 16800 when I put the AR cyclops crystal on it. If I do I'll just send it to you. Isn't doing me any good sitting in my watch box. Obviously you would value it more than me. you just pay shipping.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 12:08 AM   #27
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=vintagemyk;6671340]WOW kingface66 you probably won't know sarcasm even if it Farted in your face. Now I know why You don't find the other comments sarcastic at all. And that my friends is how u get labeled as a frat boy....my pretending to be smart but DAF. i don't need to know your childhood sob stories here. There are other forums for that. I just needed to know the crystal code which fortunately some gentlemen here have already helped me wtih. ( there's no sarcasm here. I meant every word)[/QUOTE

"Pretending to be smart." OK. While I'm not sure where that came from, or why you keep associating me with a frat boy (shouldn't it be "bro"?...or is it "brah"?), I do take great offense that you wrote me off using an...abbreviation! (I have to conclude that it means something really bad. Like, it has an actual bad word in it. The kind of word that, well, frat boys use all the time).
And while I may be DAF, I still love you, man. You're a Rolex enthusiast and that, alone, makes you a kindred spirit. I have the same watch you're discussing here, and I love mine, as well.
And for the record, that last bit wasn't sarcasm.