The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 May 2016, 02:33 AM   #1
Phlub
"TRF" Member

Vintage Tudor Submariner with SWISS on the dial

Hi all, firstly apologies if this has come up before but I really have done an extensive search of Google and this forum.

I have seen a 1967 Tudor submariner in a dealer today. It looks nice and to my amateur eye looks genuine but there is one thing concerning me and I hope someone can shed some light on this. Being from 1967 I would imagine this is a 7928 or possibly a 7016?
The watch looks very similar to this one here. http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1968...mariner-7016-0

Except Rather than having "T SWISS T" at the bottom of the dial it just says "SWISS"

As I say I have looked everywhere and I can't find a single picture of one from this era and dial that just says "SWISS"

I don't doubt for one minute the integrity of the dealer, he is well established and known. It's more that I'm very pedantic about such things and want to be sure of what I could potentially buy.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Phlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 09:11 AM   #2
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Pictures would go a long way, but early Swiss only dials r legit n as a matter of fact much more rare. Here is my snowflake with Swiss only originally also from HQmilton.

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 09:28 AM   #3
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
My 3 snowflakes

all have T Swiss T. The 7928 with pointy crown guards on the right, C 1961, just has swiss. I was always under the impression that the dials with just Swiss on them were all from the 60's (unless they were replaced service dials) but not sure on the cut off date.
Yes, it would help to get a more accurate opinion if you could post a photo of the actual watch with the first few digits of it's serial number.

What year is yours Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.JPG (271.1 KB, 379 views)
Old 1 May 2016, 09:29 AM   #4
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Would need to see photos. 7928 up until 63 is OK for SWISS only, and in the 80s and later. With a small spattering of dials in the interim.

Could be a service dial too - though not very likely
Old 2 May 2016, 07:16 AM   #5
Phlub
"TRF" Member

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm not sure I'm any the wiser. I will try and get some photos off the dealer and post them.
Phlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 04:58 PM   #6
John in MA
"TRF" Member

If it's a 1967 it's a 7928. The first 7016's were released in I.68 with a 7528 caseback, rose dial and unique case shape. These had T SWISS T dials. The 1967 7928's had the same dial and were also marked T SWISS T.

There is debate on when the snowflake started to show up but I have seen examples from III.68 and IV.68 in 7016's. One blue and one black (I owned). Both had SWISS marked dials with no T bookends. These are the ONLY post 7928's that have no T bookends that I am aware of except for later luminova service dials. Even the first batch of luminova service dials were marked T SWISS T.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 11:27 PM   #7
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

The very earliest snowflakes had Swiss only on the dial. Typically late sixties.

Omitohud's watch posted in the 2nd response is a beauty!

Also the late replacement service dials were Swiss only. Easy to tell by the style of font used, and luminous paint used.
RLX-lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 12:16 PM   #8
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5AUS View Post
all have T Swiss T. The 7928 with pointy crown guards on the right, C 1961, just has swiss. I was always under the impression that the dials with just Swiss on them were all from the 60's (unless they were replaced service dials) but not sure on the cut off date.
Yes, it would help to get a more accurate opinion if you could post a photo of the actual watch with the first few digits of it's serial number.

What year is yours Sam

Sorry for the late response. I don't have the watch with me at the present, but I remember a very early example probably 68 or 69.
Old 6 May 2016, 12:19 PM   #9
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLX-lvr View Post
The very earliest snowflakes had Swiss only on the dial. Typically late sixties.

Omitohud's watch posted in the 2nd response is a beauty!

Also the late replacement service dials were Swiss only. Easy to tell by the style of font used, and luminous paint used.

Thanks Jeff. Unfortunately the dial is not perfect. It has chips on the edge n drag mark. Still a rare breed. 😂