The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 8 January 2017, 09:10 AM   #1
Speed
"TRF" Member

Insanely bad Customer Service - Friend's 312 Hour Marker Issue

See my old thread for the sad story up to now. However, it gets worse.

In summary for those who don't want to check the link... the hour hand on his 312 would not hit the hour marker dead center on the hour. I.e. 1, 2, 3 o'clock etc. He had an AD send to Panerai to adjust and it came back exactly the same. Subsequent efforts resulted in no change.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=493894

My buddy had the AD send the watch BACK to Panerai again. They said it had to go back to Switzerland. Whatever...as long as one of their folks can fix this hour hand situation.

So the AD calls him back and says this is what Panerai will do...

1. $100 for a polish
2. replace the dials
3. replace the hands
4. clean the bracelet,buckle for $236

Estimated turnaround time... SIXTEEN WEEKS!!! :

He scratched the bezel himself / wanted it taken care of...this is insane I told him. Besides. If they intended to refinish the rest of a barely worn 312, that is more insanity.

OK...re: #2 & 3...they won't charge him. But even at no cost...as I finished smacking my head...what the hell good would replacing the dial and hands do? Isn't the issue of an hour hand not hitting the marker due to an adjustment of the movement?

Was the dial miscut? Don't think so. The Minute hand looks fine.

Re: 4. Umm....it's a 312. There is no bracelet! I told him I thought they had the fix plan for another watch. He's asked the US Panerai Customer Service manager ( at my ongoing insistence ) to call him.

Mind you my friend is a guy who would scream like a stuck pig if the Jamba Juice Clerk would not honor an expired 10% off coupon so I am flabbergasted at his inability to get something done with Panerai via complaining. He keeps telling me ballers spending 5 figures on higher end PAMs will get all the attention. Please. This is insanity!

I feel bad as I recommended the stellar TS who sold him this watch. The other watch he bought at the same time from the TS was "running fast" - lesson for me is NEVER recommend a TS to a nervous nellie / non WIS. But I digress.

A poster in my last thread (and our own Jocke) who looks to be a watch maker said it was a simple adjustment. Apparently not for Panerai.

Again, I DREAD having to send my own 312 in for service when the time comes!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 09:49 AM   #2
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

Wow..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 10:31 AM   #3
Billythekid
"TRF" Member

Talking of panerai service can anybody tell me where can i get the crystal replaced for pam 364 in dubai

Sent from my iGadget
Billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 10:35 AM   #4
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I wonder if this is indicative of service quality of the entire Richemont group? I have heard complains also about IWC as well.
Old 8 January 2017, 11:59 AM   #5
nick c
Banned

WTF is going on
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 12:12 PM   #6
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
might have been a 'simple adjustment' or not. hard for anyone to know without seeing the watch, opening it up etc....pams I've sent to the spa have averaged 4 weeks or less, never sent back to the mothership though

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 04:55 PM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
See my old thread for the sad story up to now. However, it gets worse.

In summary for those who don't want to check the link... the hour hand on his 312 would not hit the hour marker dead center on the hour. I.e. 1, 2, 3 o'clock etc. He had an AD send to Panerai to adjust and it came back exactly the same. Subsequent efforts resulted in no change.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=493894

My buddy had the AD send the watch BACK to Panerai again. They said it had to go back to Switzerland. Whatever...as long as one of their folks can fix this hour hand situation.

So the AD calls him back and says this is what Panerai will do...

1. $100 for a polish
2. replace the dials
3. replace the hands
4. clean the bracelet,buckle for $236

Estimated turnaround time... SIXTEEN WEEKS!!! :

He scratched the bezel himself / wanted it taken care of...this is insane I told him. Besides. If they intended to refinish the rest of a barely worn 312, that is more insanity.

OK...re: #2 & 3...they won't charge him. But even at no cost...as I finished smacking my head...what the hell good would replacing the dial and hands do? Isn't the issue of an hour hand not hitting the marker due to an adjustment of the movement?

Was the dial miscut? Don't think so. The Minute hand looks fine.

Re: 4. Umm....it's a 312. There is no bracelet! I told him I thought they had the fix plan for another watch. He's asked the US Panerai Customer Service manager ( at my ongoing insistence ) to call him.

Mind you my friend is a guy who would scream like a stuck pig if the Jamba Juice Clerk would not honor an expired 10% off coupon so I am flabbergasted at his inability to get something done with Panerai via complaining. He keeps telling me ballers spending 5 figures on higher end PAMs will get all the attention. Please. This is insanity!

I feel bad as I recommended the stellar TS who sold him this watch. The other watch he bought at the same time from the TS was "running fast" - lesson for me is NEVER recommend a TS to a nervous nellie / non WIS. But I digress.

A poster in my last thread (and our own Jocke) who looks to be a watch maker said it was a simple adjustment. Apparently not for Panerai.

Again, I DREAD having to send my own 312 in for service when the time comes!
I have have an idea, Bill. I'm heading up to the OP boutique in a while and I'll ask my guy to run it past the in house watch maker.

Depending on what they say, it might be worth having the watch couriered here and fixed. I'll take my MacBook so he can see the original thread properly (as opposed to my phone) and I'll post up again this evening when I'm back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I wonder if this is indicative of service quality of the entire Richemont group? I have heard complains also about IWC as well.
I've had some pretty good service from Richemont when the clasp on my Montblanc bracelet failed. It took a bit of kicking and screaming on my part but I go there in the end. I think it very much depends on what part for the world you live in though. Apart from the OP boutique and my Rolex AD, customer service in Singapore tends to one generally pretty poor.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 05:24 PM   #8
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I'm rethinking adding a Panerai to the
Collection...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 05:41 PM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

I think it's a bit premature to put this on Panerai. Too many elements make zero sense.

It sounds like miscommunication between the AD and Panerai. And how much attention will an AD give to a watch bought via they grey market, anyway?

Can your friend take it to a boutique or deal directly with a Panerai service center?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 11:11 PM   #10
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
I'm rethinking adding a Panerai to the
Collection...
LoL....as if rsc is much better? All have horror stories. enjoy

chgo_risti on IG
Old 8 January 2017, 11:14 PM   #11
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I think it's a bit premature to put this on Panerai. And how much attention will an AD give to a watch bought via they grey market, anyway?
agree on putting this all on panerai

bought my first panerai on grey market, ad and panerai treated me great. ymmv, check your local listings, void were prohibited, etc....

chgo_risti on IG
Old 9 January 2017, 12:06 AM   #12
nick c
Banned

Good points above nothing to do with Panerai ^^^^^^
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 12:29 AM   #13
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I think it's a bit premature to put this on Panerai. Too many elements make zero sense.

It sounds like miscommunication between the AD and Panerai. And how much attention will an AD give to a watch bought via they grey market, anyway?

Can your friend take it to a boutique or deal directly with a Panerai service center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I have have an idea, Bill. I'm heading up to the OP boutique in a while and I'll ask my guy to run it past the in house watch maker.

Depending on what they say, it might be worth having the watch couriered here and fixed. I'll take my MacBook so he can see the original thread properly (as opposed to my phone) and I'll post up again this evening when I'm back home.

I've had some pretty good service from Richemont when the clasp on my Montblanc bracelet failed. It took a bit of kicking and screaming on my part but I go there in the end. I think it very much depends on what part for the world you live in though. Apart from the OP boutique and my Rolex AD, customer service in Singapore tends to one generally pretty poor.

Thanks for listening All,

Thanks as well Ruud & Cru.

As mentioned, my fiend seems relatively passive on this issue. Not sure why as his other nice watch is an old Planet Ocean. He deliberated for a year before this purchase but seems less willing to "fight" although he has called Panerai Cust Svc directly and asked to speak with the manager. Will let you know what I hear.

We do not have a boutique near us...

I didn't want to slam Panerai - but of course I just have. I love the brand - and my watch!

I just don't see (too) much room for misinterpretation...but clearly an AD who did not make the sale does not have a ton of motivation...However, I do KNOW they'd probably rather not see my friend return!

Again, the first time the watch came back to the AD, they sent it back as the problem still existed. The second time, it looked ok for a bit if I am not mistaken...before going off again. 3rd round, my Friend was told it had to go overseas. He doesn't know where the watch is now.

In my view though...at this stage, even if Panerai wanted to do the "replacement" work...couldn't they get this done in < 16 weeks given the months this whole ordeal has gone on?
Old 9 January 2017, 12:54 AM   #14
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Thanks for listening All,

Thanks as well Ruud & Cru.

As mentioned, my fiend seems relatively passive on this issue. Not sure why as his other nice watch is an old Planet Ocean. He deliberated for a year before this purchase but seems less willing to "fight" although he has called Panerai Cust Svc directly and asked to speak with the manager. Will let you know what I hear.

We do not have a boutique near us...

I didn't want to slam Panerai - but of course I just have. I love the brand - and my watch!

I just don't see (too) much room for misinterpretation...but clearly an AD who did not make the sale does not have a ton of motivation...However, I do KNOW they'd probably rather not see my friend return!

Again, the first time the watch came back to the AD, they sent it back as the problem still existed. The second time, it looked ok for a bit if I am not mistaken...before going off again. 3rd round, my Friend was told it had to go overseas. He doesn't know where the watch is now.

In my view though...at this stage, even if Panerai wanted to do the "replacement" work...couldn't they get this done in < 16 weeks given the months this whole ordeal has gone on?
I showed this thread and the original to my guy at OP Singapore.

He basically said that it ought to be a simple re-alignment of the hands. However, the hands might need to be replaced as they are known to be delicate.
He also said it could be an issue with the gears.

He's going to show the thread to their watchmaker tomorrow and get his take on it. As a mild warning, he likened it to going to the doctor; 'it's ok explaining the symptoms over the phone, but the doctor really needs to see the patient'.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 01:04 AM   #15
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I showed this thread and the original to my guy at OP Singapore.

He basically said that it ought to be a simple re-alignment of the hands. However, the hands might need to be replaced as they are known to be delicate.

He also said it could be an issue with the gears.

He's going to show the thread to their watchmaker tomorrow and get his take on it. As a mild warning, he likened it to going to the doctor; 'it's ok explaining the symptoms over the phone, but the doctor really needs to see the patient'.

Much thanks!

In this case, the " Doctors" have seen the "patient" several times! But I get what you're saying... I just would have thought it could have been sorted earlier on.

So let's say the hands were damaged by the last Doctor's attempt to address the issue. What's the logic for replacing the dial?

I guess best case at this point someone in Panerai USA speaks to my Buddy and helps expedite a repair < 16 weeks.
Old 10 January 2017, 01:17 AM   #16
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I don't understand what's going on? It's a very easy fix.
Pull minute hand, adjust the hour hand back a bit to the center of the marker, reinstall the hour hand.
I could do this repair myself.
Just go independent.
I bet they want to change the hands and dial because they scratched them by being careless.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:12 AM   #17
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I don't understand what's going on? It's a very easy fix.
Pull minute hand, adjust the hour hand back a bit to the center of the marker, reinstall the hour hand.
I could do this repair myself.
Just go independent.
I bet they want to change the hands and dial because they scratched them by being careless.

Same here Brian. I think you may be right. Damage was done in the last attempt to repair...

That said, hands and dial for a 312 should not be scarce - in Switzerland. Although they have recently tweaked the dial and seconds hand. Still, they should have parts

I'm flummoxed.

At this stage my friend seems willing to have Panerai fix it and I only get small updates from him. I think he so rarely wore the watch "protecting his investment" - I know, I had the TRF investment talk with him - that he's not in a hurry like any of us would be.

Furthermore, the local AD is not anxious to escalate given he didn't purchase the Pam from them. Understandable...but they won't provide the local stateside contact either.

He filled out a contact request at the Panerai website but I told him to get on the phone - not wait.
Old 11 January 2017, 07:37 AM   #18
Speed
"TRF" Member

Latest update...

My friend speaks to Panerai directly.

Turns out the movement is faulty! Texas does not have a replacement ...still a bit puzzling. But apparently neither does Switzerland. They have to reproduce the movement - which will take 4 weeks. The watch then gets sent back to Texas for QA - god help us - and then to the AD.

Still some funkyness IMO...but clearly the dial / hands business was not the real story.

Lesson here is avoid going through an AD...especially if you didn't buy the watch there.
Old 11 January 2017, 01:54 PM   #19
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lesson here is avoid going through an AD...especially if you didn't buy the watch there.
always go direct to the service center, never have had an issue with them

ymmv

hope he gets it finally sorted

chgo_risti on IG
Old 12 January 2017, 01:14 AM   #20
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
always go direct to the service center, never have had an issue with them

ymmv

hope he gets it finally sorted

Yes. "Only" 16 weeks to go.

You'd think the watch was a Phillipe Dufour. I saw an interview with Phillipe on HODINKEE. He said a client once had to wait 6 years for his watch. "Each day, it was a pleasure to wait." was the Client feedback.