The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2017, 09:31 AM   #1
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

AP 15703 Diver Issue.

Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance if this is a repeated questions but I couldn't find anything when I searched. I have a AP Diver that was purchased new in March of 2013. Just yesterday the seconds movement stopped working. Winding it only has it move for about 5 seconds before it stops again. Is this a service that is required? Anyone have a similar issue? I would appreciate any help very much!
Gnhm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Not sure what's wrong, but def sounds like it need to goto the APSC.
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 10:48 AM   #3
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Sounds like it is broken in need for repair. Sorry.
Old 17 January 2017, 01:55 PM   #4
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Needs a trip to Clearwater.
Old 18 January 2017, 06:08 AM   #5
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

I will be overnighting it to Clearwater today. I spoke with Betsy there who said the oils could be dry in the movement. Anyone at all with a similar experience?
Old 27 January 2017, 04:16 PM   #6
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Same thing with my black dial 42mm...

They broke it down...cleaned it...applied oils...tested it and it was back on my wrist in 3 weeks.

They also replaced the strap for free as well.

Runs perfect.
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 08:47 PM   #7
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
Had similar problem on my ROO 42mm grey when it was barely a month old. Took 3-4 weeks for them to service it. Do update on the servicing cost as yours is no longer under warranty. Would like to find out how much it cost...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 11:01 PM   #8
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnhm3 View Post
I will be overnighting it to Clearwater today. I spoke with Betsy there who said the oils could be dry in the movement. Anyone at all with a similar experience?
Whilst Betsy means well, she’s offering incorrect information.
A fully wound mainspring should have more than sufficient torque to overcome the friction in an oilless movement – there are still the jewels in a number of areas that provide a lower co-efficient than metal on metal.
On the basis that the going-train is otherwise fine, my thoughts would point towards the mainspring having failed.

If so, and as the watch is barely 4 years old, I’d wouldn’t be at all surprised if they returned it without charging you – since a mainspring would be expected to last a lot longer than 48 months, even in a daily worn watch.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 06:26 AM   #9
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy View Post
Same thing with my black dial 42mm...

They broke it down...cleaned it...applied oils...tested it and it was back on my wrist in 3 weeks.

They also replaced the strap for free as well.

Runs perfect.
Was your watch in warranty? If not, do you mind telling me how much they charged you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianghee View Post
Had similar problem on my ROO 42mm grey when it was barely a month old. Took 3-4 weeks for them to service it. Do update on the servicing cost as yours is no longer under warranty. Would like to find out how much it cost...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Will definitely let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Whilst Betsy means well, she’s offering incorrect information.
A fully wound mainspring should have more than sufficient torque to overcome the friction in an oilless movement – there are still the jewels in a number of areas that provide a lower co-efficient than metal on metal.
On the basis that the going-train is otherwise fine, my thoughts would point towards the mainspring having failed.

If so, and as the watch is barely 4 years old, I’d wouldn’t be at all surprised if they returned it without charging you – since a mainspring would be expected to last a lot longer than 48 months, even in a daily worn watch.
Crossing my fingers. They received the watch yesterday and told me they would have an estimate within a week.
Old 31 January 2017, 12:20 PM   #10
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

Got the call today. $1132 for service
Old 31 January 2017, 12:28 PM   #11
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Got the call today. $1132 for service

For, what exactly....?
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 07:26 AM   #12
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteel View Post
For, what exactly....?
Here is the exact breakdown on the invoice:

complete maintenance service: Opening of the watch, pre washing of the movement, dismantling of every component of the movement, preventive replacement of those subject to wear and damaged, washing of all the components, assembling of the movement and complete lubrication, timing, casing up, final control.

The above is $920. $210 is for the refinishing of the watch case.
Old 2 February 2017, 07:34 AM   #13
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:

complete maintenance service: Opening of the watch, pre washing of the movement, dismantling of every component of the movement, preventive replacement of those subject to wear and damaged, washing of all the components, assembling of the movement and complete lubrication, timing, casing up, final control.

This is the reason I don't own an AP anymore.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 07:34 AM   #14
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 08:14 AM   #15
jem7v
Banned

That is kinda ridiculous for a watch one year out of warranty with an issue like this that they don't cover it. If boutique purchases result in 5 year warranties honestly they should apply that to all watches.

Hublot for instance does this but even for an issue like this they would take care of it free of charge. As long as it's something where it obviously wasn't your fault they should take care of it.

Bad service.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 09:29 AM   #16
PJ S
Banned

Quote:

What?
They’re replacing perfectly fine parts?
WTFF? Are they made from Swiss f… chocolate?

Looks like AP is starting to act like the muppets from that other renowned brand.

I would not be the least but happy with this after only 4 years of varied usage – hell, not even with daily usage!
If you haven’t already, ask to speak with the CS manager – and if need be, get on to Le Brassus as well.

It’s not so much the price (although that is a bit of a piss take in itself) but the principle of selling a product which has an inexcusably short durability.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 09:52 AM   #17
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I'm kind of on the other side of this...

Should all watch companies warranty every watch that's out of warranty even if its a year past the warranty with varied use?

If the watch fails within the warranty period I expect it to be taken care of no matter who the current owner is (Hint hint patek). If the watch is out of service then its at the discretion of AP.

I personally think $920 is reasonable for the quality of service you get from APSC.

When buying a used AP I factor in the $1k for a service in the price. I prefer to buy new so I know how the watch has been worn/treated.

I'll also add that it does sound like a broken mainspring so that could be replaced for less by a qualified local watchmaker.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 10:33 AM   #18
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
I'm kind of on the other side of this...

Should all watch companies warranty every watch that's out of warranty even if its a year past the warranty with varied use?

If the watch fails within the warranty period I expect it to be taken care of no matter who the current owner is (Hint hint patek). If the watch is out of service then its at the discretion of AP.

I personally think $920 is reasonable for the quality of service you get from APSC.

When buying a used AP I factor in the $1k for a service in the price. I prefer to buy new so I know how the watch has been worn/treated.

I'll also add that it does sound like a broken mainspring so that could be replaced for less by a qualified local watchmaker.

I agree with this position. Service cost should be factor in as part of the long term ownership of the watch.
Old 2 February 2017, 11:54 AM   #19
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Even if you wear the watch every day 24/7, the watch is just under 4 yr old. I expect any modern mechanical movement to last longer than that without service.

If there is not enough oil in the movement to begin with (at the time of manufacturing), than that one is on the manufacturer and they should own it up and give it a free movement service and charge for case refinish.

Story like this keep pushing me away from AP and back to Rolex ... (this is Rolex forum after all ... LOL)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 12:37 PM   #20
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Do stories of broken Rolexes in the main Rolex forum push you back to AP?

I had an Explorer II stop dead during its warranty period, and my GMT IIc suffered a breakage within four years after I bought it. Both watches were purchased new by me from ADs.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 08:32 PM   #21
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Even if you wear the watch every day 24/7, the watch is just under 4 yr old. I expect any modern mechanical movement to last longer than that without service.

If there is not enough oil in the movement to begin with (at the time of manufacturing), than that one is on the manufacturer and they should own it up and give it a free movement service and charge for case refinish.

Story like this keep pushing me away from AP and back to Rolex ... (this is Rolex forum after all ... LOL)
That is quite harsh, the story actually doesn't tell what if the piece might have been subjected to abuse and what actually broke.

You can easily kill any AP or Rolex in 2 seconds flat with the right amount of impact or magnetism.
Old 3 February 2017, 07:28 AM   #22
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Skip the case re-finish.
Old 4 February 2017, 09:09 AM   #23
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Skip the case re-finish.
I wish I could but there are some scratches on the face that would drive me insane. This definitely sucks as I just purchased the watch not too long ago...