The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2017, 02:56 AM   #91
armen34
"TRF" Member

D-blue is worth every penny because it's a special piece just like the ceramic Daytona.
armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 03:45 AM   #92
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Is a slightly different color dial worth $4500 ??

IMHO no and it still feels like a hockey puck on my wrist
Very well said.
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 04:19 AM   #93
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
It's a big damn watch for sure. Aside from that, I don't think I would be happy with the novelty dial long-term.....the two-tone with the neon green font. Though I'm not sure long-term is really a factor with the OP.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:03 AM   #94
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
it's a keeper for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dssdblue1.jpg (94.0 KB, 293 views)
Old 21 January 2017, 09:59 AM   #95
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
This is a silly thread anyways because anyone can pick any watch and say "why buy this one when i can buy 2 of those"

ironically the thread was started by someone who probably has owned 20 rolexes in the past 2 years and probably currently owns none with one incoming this week and for sale next week
Like some of you here, I am not a person who flip my watch around (my current BlackBay Blue is a stayer, having bought it close to 2 years ago and despite me adding another IWC last year). That is why the OP's various wishlist, incoming and sales threads have intrigued me also over the past few months.

While that could be his style, I personally cannot justify buying again a watch (or several watches) that I have recently sold. And after observing how the OP bought and then flipped some of Rolex's most popular models (Hulk, Batman, DeepBlue highlighted in this thread; and even 2 PM models: BLRO and the recently acquired and sold 116618LB) just in the blink of an eye, I also think that it is probably not the OP's style to own a watch for a long term. And that's just the Rolex watches. Not to mention the other watches like the Pelagos (which he has flipped twice) and the Omega CK2998.

To me, the OP behaves more like a watch trader than a watch owner. He enjoys the process before owning and the process of selling, more than the satisfaction of actually owning a watch itself
Newbie@SIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:28 AM   #96
mactruck
"TRF" Member

I think the DSSD is worth every penny. 10yrs from now when they are $25K we will all be kicking ourselves for not picking one up.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:32 AM   #97
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
I think the DSSD is worth every penny. 10yrs from now when they are $25K we will all be kicking ourselves for not picking one up.
ironically in 10 years one will be able to pick up a daytona-c no problem with a small discount
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:35 AM   #98
wm5382
"TRF" Member

i would not pay crazy premium for basically the same watch but in black dial

just does not make sense for me personally

besides, i am a traditional guy, black is the way for my rolex dial preference
wm5382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:36 AM   #99
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm5382 View Post
i would not pay crazy premium for basically the same watch but in black dial

just does not make sense for me personally

besides, i am a traditional guy, black is the way for my rolex dial preference
the real OG is always a stud
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:35 PM   #100
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
Ok, to discuss a couple of points you make.

When you talk about 'additional cost of thousands..' just to confirm in the UK the difference in list price at an AD between the standard black dial and the JC is £250 GBP or approx. $307 USD at todays exchange rate.

I assume you are talking about the grey or second hand market price, which I admit is ridiculously inflated, but isn't relevant to use as a reason not to want one.

If you really want one that badly as you state you did when you first saw one, you would get one eventually from an AD and the difference in list price is negligible in the bigger scheme of things.

You seem to be confusing 'special edition' with 'limited edition' - when talking about the 'special edition label being thrown around with it' you ask 'can any one confirm that?' Well yes I can confirm that the JC version is indeed a very 'special edition' - limited? no. Limited production/availability, maybe, but not limited to a specific number being produced.

There's no 'Hype about it' as you state, just fact. The JC D-blue is a special edition. Special edition & limited edition are 2 very different things.

You state that you 'refuse to subscribe to the Hype over a dial'... fair enough, but have you ever asked yourself why there is such 'Hype' over this dial?

This is the first watch that Rolex have ever produced with a 2 tone graduated dial and luminous green lettering. That may not be a big deal to you, but in Rolex terms its massive.

Also, this is the first watch that Rolex have ever named after a living person, those two facts alone are the main contributors to the 'Hype' you refer to, but to be fair to Rolex, they haven't tried to cash in by over inflating the price - as stated earlier, the difference in list price is negligible, its the natural demand from collectors on the second hand market that has done that.

NB. Before anyone replies with 'what about the Paul Newman Daytona?' - that is a watch nicknamed by collectors, NOT Rolex.. just to be clear.
I respect your point of view and take on board your opinions... to be fair yes i was more referring to grey market and second hand prices...BUT>>> AD's are also guilty of withholding stock and jacking the price up so just because there is a $307 retail difference im confident you wont get one for that at most AD's. I went into a AD about 10 months ago looking for a hulk(none on display) and was told they had one out the back and if i wanted to make an "offer" they would consider it. I asked him "was it on hold for a customer?" and he stated "no we hold them to sell at a premium and the highest offer gets it"

So in this instance the $307usd is totally irrelevant and the price is being regulated by hype of "supply and demand" not the RRP. So again i refuse to pay thousands more over retail because its been made out to be rare. They are readily available throughout Asia so they are not in short supply but they are however over inflated on price.

As far as "special edition" vs "limited edition" i guess that comes down to perspective... from Rolex's site re the dial
Quote:
Commemorating James Cameron’s historic solo dive. From brilliant blue to bottomless black, its two-colour gradient dial celebrates one man’s journey to the deepest place on earth: the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
I think my point should have been made clearer as far as HYPE goes... because of the "hype" it has driven the price up way beyond what rolex recommend and borderlines silly just for a dial. Dont get me wrong i love the dial and it is gorgeous but not thousands of dollars for no reason gorgeous

again my 2 cents and my opinion and is not to be taken as gospel... i guess it comes down to a point where you have to justify whats worth it to you personally and to me that tiny bit of blue and green is not and as it is a mass produced watch it doesnt have the rarity of an old SD Red or comex so right now i dont hink it falls in the same category with collectables like them... maybe in 30 years yes but right now no

Dont get me wrong im not arguing here just expressing my opinion as what i believe these discussions are about
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:10 PM   #101
mactruck
"TRF" Member

I love the black DSSD to bits but the deep blue, no. I can't unsee this image and it's all I think about when I look at the deep blue.

mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 05:46 PM   #102
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
I respect your point of view and take on board your opinions... to be fair yes i was more referring to grey market and second hand prices...BUT>>> AD's are also guilty of withholding stock and jacking the price up so just because there is a $307 retail difference im confident you wont get one for that at most AD's. I went into a AD about 10 months ago looking for a hulk(none on display) and was told they had one out the back and if i wanted to make an "offer" they would consider it. I asked him "was it on hold for a customer?" and he stated "no we hold them to sell at a premium and the highest offer gets it"

So in this instance the $307usd is totally irrelevant and the price is being regulated by hype of "supply and demand" not the RRP. So again i refuse to pay thousands more over retail because its been made out to be rare. They are readily available throughout Asia so they are not in short supply but they are however over inflated on price.

As far as "special edition" vs "limited edition" i guess that comes down to perspective... from Rolex's site re the dial

I think my point should have been made clearer as far as HYPE goes... because of the "hype" it has driven the price up way beyond what rolex recommend and borderlines silly just for a dial. Dont get me wrong i love the dial and it is gorgeous but not thousands of dollars for no reason gorgeous

again my 2 cents and my opinion and is not to be taken as gospel... i guess it comes down to a point where you have to justify whats worth it to you personally and to me that tiny bit of blue and green is not and as it is a mass produced watch it doesnt have the rarity of an old SD Red or comex so right now i dont hink it falls in the same category with collectables like them... maybe in 30 years yes but right now no

Dont get me wrong im not arguing here just expressing my opinion as what i believe these discussions are about
Firstly, apologies if my original response came across as an attack on your original post, it certainly wasn't meant to, so apologies once again for that.

Regarding your comments about the AD almost offering watches to the highest bidder - that is totally unacceptable practice and should be reported to Rolex HQ - they would be in serious trouble from Rolex and could potentially lose their AD status.

That is totally against the whole AD principle whereby official dealers have to sell watches at the MSRP or RRP which ever way you want to refer to it.

Otherwise, all that would happen in a city where there is more than one AD you would just get customers going from one to the other playing them off against each other stating ' they will give me 'x' discount can you match or beat it?? It would just turn into an auction between AD's!

So in that respect you would get one at the MSRP so I think in this instance the $307 difference it TOTALLY relevant.

Regarding the quote you reference from Rolex website talking about JC and the Mariana Trench... that neither states 'Special' or 'Limited Edition' so not quite sure what the relevance of that is?
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 06:22 PM   #103
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
Firstly, apologies if my original response came across as an attack on your original post, it certainly wasn't meant to, so apologies once again for that.

Regarding your comments about the AD almost offering watches to the highest bidder - that is totally unacceptable practice and should be reported to Rolex HQ - they would be in serious trouble from Rolex and could potentially lose their AD status.

That is totally against the whole AD principle whereby official dealers have to sell watches at the MSRP or RRP which ever way you want to refer to it.

Otherwise, all that would happen in a city where there is more than one AD you would just get customers going from one to the other playing them off against each other stating ' they will give me 'x' discount can you match or beat it?? It would just turn into an auction between AD's!

So in that respect you would get one at the MSRP so I think in this instance the $307 difference it TOTALLY relevant.

Regarding the quote you reference from Rolex website talking about JC and the Mariana Trench... that neither states 'Special' or 'Limited Edition' so not quite sure what the relevance of that is?
hey all good and no need to apologise its just a discussion.. yeah sadly the AD's have been doing this for a while although i cant say for sure in the USA or europe but it is common practise in Asia... if you go back and do a search through the forum you will see quite a few guys that have paid a premium price for ceramic daytonas over retail....
I agree totally that it is a dishonorable method of selling, as one AD said to me its "recommended" retail and they can sell for what they want...

Believe me if i could buy one for the additional $307 id have it in my collection right now.. sadly very hard to do and when they start talking thousands of dollars difference between the standard and deep blue then i get quite annoyed.

As far as the reference to the rolex web site you said they called it the "james cameron" model... the only reference to JC on the site is the quote i took... they seem to still refer to it as a deepsea and nothing about "special edition"
Its just referred to as "Deepsea D-Blue dial" hence my confusion about it being a special edition..... i know alot of Rolex are given "nicknames" which tend to stick (batman,kermit,hulk etc..) that are not endorsed or labelled by Rolex

Ill bow out of this discussion because reading back i seem to sound more argumentative and thats not my intention if you can understand what im trying to say then all good
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 06:38 PM   #104
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
hey all good and no need to apologise its just a discussion.. yeah sadly the AD's have been doing this for a while although i cant say for sure in the USA or europe but it is common practise in Asia... if you go back and do a search through the forum you will see quite a few guys that have paid a premium price for ceramic daytonas over retail....
I agree totally that it is a dishonorable method of selling, as one AD said to me its "recommended" retail and they can sell for what they want...

Believe me if i could buy one for the additional $307 id have it in my collection right now.. sadly very hard to do and when they start talking thousands of dollars difference between the standard and deep blue then i get quite annoyed.

As far as the reference to the rolex web site you said they called it the "james cameron" model... the only reference to JC on the site is the quote i took... they seem to still refer to it as a deepsea and nothing about "special edition"
Its just referred to as "Deepsea D-Blue dial" hence my confusion about it being a special edition..... i know alot of Rolex are given "nicknames" which tend to stick (batman,kermit,hulk etc..) that are not endorsed or labelled by Rolex

Ill bow out of this discussion because reading back i seem to sound more argumentative and thats not my intention if you can understand what im trying to say then all good
Respect...
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 07:51 PM   #105
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Pretty much all 44mm offerings in the lineup are going to cost you. The YM II will just happen to cost you a little more.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 12:36 AM   #106
brian89
"TRF" Member

Maybe get a sub and a non rolex watch

Once u have 2 rolex sports models ul just have overlap imo
brian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 12:39 AM   #107
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
IMG_3245.jpg

All about the dial - worth every penny and more

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 12:55 AM   #108
Jwk1325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I love the D-blue and along with my 116520 it is probably one of the only Rolex watches that I slightly miss owning. However, it is hard to justify dropping 12k on the D-blue when you could have your pick of almost any other TWO SS Rolex models. For that amount of money you could buy a GMT + explorer 2, a milgauss + a SUB, a datejust + a SUB, etc etc. The more I think about it the more I realize that it is a lot of money to sink into one watch especially in a small collection. I believe that the Daytona remains the only SS Rolex that I would spend that kind of coin on. What do you guys think? Quality over quantity....variety is the spice of life....buy what you like and can afford... All good opinions

Today I feel like variety is the spice of life. Tomorrow I buy another PM Rolex.

Have a nice day guys.

Josh
That's exactly how I think as well. There's a nice pre-owned AP Royal Oak Offshore Safari at a local shop that I've been considering (listed at $15K; could probably get it for $12.5-$13ish).

I'd love to add an AP to my collection, but it's a lot to pay for a stainless on leather watch. Every time I get close to pulling the trigger, I start considering the watch combo's I could purchase for that price.

Same thing with the new Daytona's...
Jwk1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 12:59 AM   #109
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

To the OP,.. Rolex quality is the same regardless which model or material they are built of. They are all a factory watch so trading 2 for 1 watch is still a step sideways in the quality of the watch regardless what it's msrp is. Where I can see a real argument is if you want to trade up into a precious metal factory Rolex. SS is a great robust utilitarian material for a watch but it's not gold or platinum and that is where I might argue trading 2 SS Rolex watches for one 18k or platinum Rolex.
Old 22 January 2017, 01:44 AM   #110
Pinocchio
"TRF" Member

I think the dblue will be discontinued in the next couple of years which will make it +$20k. I think 20-30 years it will be worth a lot money. That's my prediction anyway and I'm sticking with, that's why I bought one. And I think it's the second best looking Rolex behind the Daytona C white face.
Pinocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 01:53 AM   #111
yunach
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexRolexRolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
I think the dblue will be discontinued in the next couple of years which will make it +$20k. I think 20-30 years it will be worth a lot money. That's my prediction anyway and I'm sticking with, that's why I bought one. And I think it's the second best looking Rolex behind the Daytona C white face.
In this case, do you wear your D-blue if you think the value is going to go up or have you stored it?
yunach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 02:07 AM   #112
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
The D-blue is a lot of money to sink into one SS Rolex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post

Idk if I trust your advice given your track record... 🤥

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 02:07 AM   #113
ju5t1nb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I would rather own one watch i enjoy rather than have two i don't.
ju5t1nb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 02:07 AM   #114
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

What intrigues me is the confidence that prices will always go up. Every single financial 'bubble' in history has shown the same certainty that prices will always rise. But they don't.
The prices now reflect our current economic and social conditions, which can change very quickly. Buy a watch to wear, not as a form of commodity. The very idea of tottering around with an over-sized , slightly absurd , watch in the hope of making some more money.......it doesn't seem terribly attractive. Buy what you genuinely love, enjoy it, forget the price.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 03:20 AM   #115
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
What intrigues me is the confidence that prices will always go up. Every single financial 'bubble' in history has shown the same certainty that prices will always rise. But they don't.
The prices now reflect our current economic and social conditions, which can change very quickly. Buy a watch to wear, not as a form of commodity. The very idea of tottering around with an over-sized , slightly absurd , watch in the hope of making some more money.......it doesn't seem terribly attractive. Buy what you genuinely love, enjoy it, forget the price.
Very well said. Amen brother.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 06:36 AM   #116
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
:) Not sure about the 10 yrs thing but I do think there's a possibility that I'll be even happier that I bought one down the road.. One of my son's with the bigger wrist will be the fortunate beneficiary..
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 06:45 AM   #117
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I made an active decision to acquire the perfect pair - the blue is one of them, so go for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (127.7 KB, 125 views)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 07:34 AM   #118
chong2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Attachment 819731

All about the dial - worth every penny and more
This ist just beautiful. Stunning
chong2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 08:07 AM   #119
LLPavorsky
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG SKY-DWELLER
Icon14 X2!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Yes definitely worth it and one of the best Rolex IMHO. It is my go to weekend watch and the dial makes this watch very special! Knowing you would keep it only a few weeks or months it is also a great option because it holds it's value really well. So when you go to flip, which you will you, you won't lose much money. For me it is a keeper without a doubt. Also I had the black dial when it first came out and it did little for me - this one far different story. Also for those who say the dial itself isn't worth premium have a look at Rolex history and you will see the dial is everything.
Deep Blue all the way!

216570 SS Explorer II Black Dial
116688 Yellow gold YachtMaster II New
326935 Sky-Dweller Rose Gold Choc Dial New
BNIB DSSD Deep Blue Scrambled Serial# New
YachtMaster Platinum and Stainless F Serial# New
My 2004 40th Bday present is my son's college graduation present in 2018!

IWJG MEMBER#6219
LLPavorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 09:31 AM   #120
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Well, I would say the price of any Rolex PM watch is much more ridiculous than any SS model. The hit on PM is much greater over time IMHO. Rolex loves selling PM references since the margins are greater. So I don't find any of the SS model prices too bad within the realm of Rolex. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote