The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 May 2014, 03:56 AM   #1
nyczdave
"TRF" Member

Icon20 First Rolex (DateJust)

Hi All,

I am planning on purchasing my 1st Rolex in the upcoming weeks and I am coming to this forum for some opinions and hopefully some pictures to help me decide what to get. I have my mind pretty set on a Date Just, just because this is one that I always wanted since I started working. This is a pretty big purchase so I have a ton of questions and just trying to get some insight from you guys.

I currently have a Tag Carrera with a black bezel and face, so I am looking for a watch with a little different look that I can wear casual and formal.
I know I want a DJ with a fluted bezel and a jubilee bracelet. The other specs I am up in the air with, so I am hoping with some pictures and opinions from people who have a DJ, I can make a decision.

What I definitely want:
DJ 36mm
Fluted Bezel
Jubilee Bracelete

Undecided options:
1. Silver or Two Tone? (I am leaning more towards Silver)
a. Which is a better resale value or hold its value better?
b. Is TT to “old fashion”? I am a 30 yr old guy and would like something more trendy and fashionable, but at the same time eloquent. I hear the TT might look to "old".

2. Diamond dial or plain dials? (I am leaning more towards Diamond)
a. How are the quality diamonds in the Rolex?
b. I see on alanfurman.com they have both a Rolex Factory Diamond & a Custom Diamond setting (which is about $500 less)
c. Is this to tacky? I looked around the site only see only a few people with diamond dials.
3. Color of face. (Leaning more towards silver)
a. Silver – sharp looking and simple. I heard this gives it a better pop, especially if I have diamond dials.
b. White – different look and can match with a lot of different color outfits. Hard to see the time?
c. Gold – looks good on the TT, not sure how it will look on a Silver.

Also, I am located in NYC so my options of purchasing the watch would be the Rolex store, Tourneau, authorized Rolex dealers and some online stores like alanfurman.com.
Any benefits of purchasing at the Rolex store or Tourneau? I hear they are usually overpriced vs. AD.
There seems to be a ton of AD’s around NY. Does anyone recommend any?
Any other reputable websites I should consider?

Any opinions or pictures would be great.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dave
nyczdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2014, 09:39 AM   #2
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
if you want to sell in future, go stainless.
if you want to keep till you die, get the tt, they are beautiful watches

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Here is my stainless steel DJ, rhodium dial. It is not my everyday watch, but could be, it goes with everything and in person is a beauty. The white gold bezel glistens without being blingy and the rhodium dial has a luster that is fantastic, again, best seen in person.
With so many iterations of the DJ, try on as many as you can, most AD's have a dozen or more in the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.5 KB, 2738 views)
Old 10 May 2014, 11:35 PM   #4
nyczdave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Here is my stainless steel DJ, rhodium dial. It is not my everyday watch, but could be, it goes with everything and in person is a beauty. The white gold bezel glistens without being blingy and the rhodium dial has a luster that is fantastic, again, best seen in person.
With so many iterations of the DJ, try on as many as you can, most AD's have a dozen or more in the case.
That is a beauty.
nyczdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post

Jack

That is a very tasteful watch.

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 07:16 AM   #6
CCI24
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Very nice piece! you should make it an everyday wear for sure
CCI24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 03:12 PM   #7
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
If you are looking to resale, which is seems like you are leaning towards I would go with the stainless steel with silver dial. Always a classic that people would love to own. However just my personal opinion.
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Dickie Watty
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Not a fan if two tone. Unless you wear gold jewelry then I suppose it would look quite nice. I would go stainless with silver dial. No diamonds, too flashy for my taste.
Dickie Watty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 09:44 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

A classic 36mm DJ is not the trendy, fashionable model no matter what metal you select...unless you find a genuine exotic dialed version from days gone by. A tuxedo dial might be a good one to research.

Definitely stay away from aftermarket dials IMHO.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 02:23 AM   #10
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I would go with two tone. In my opinion the gold you get with rolex is well worth the cost and looks great. But make sure to go look at some in person. The fluted bezel in gold looks amazing. But diamonds i feel are a little over the top for men.
vladamir15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 10:33 AM   #11
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What?
Very nice watch, I like the 2-tone and diamonds don't glow at night.
dddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 10:37 AM   #12
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Check out TRF trusted seller DavidSW
Old 23 March 2016, 12:35 PM   #13
Berry Lannom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc & DJ
Everyone has an opinion, and here is mine: no gold until you reach 50 - no diamonds for a man's watch ever, best return on your money if you resale is SS. With that said I have two Datejust watches and a GMT 11. One Datejust is TT with a black dial - the other is SS with a blue dial - both with fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. Both are wonderful - TT for dress up occasions and SS for daily wear. I am over 50. The GMT for when I feel sporty. Bottom line - buy what makes you happy.
Berry Lannom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 12:09 AM   #14
rgroxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Wonderful piece! I'll be looking for a SS one shortly myself. But, that said, something about a two tone when they have the right dial combo is appealing.
rgroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 11:54 PM   #15
Maiden
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day, buy what you really like, you can't go wrong if YOU love it. TT and SS each have there merits. I don't think diamonds belong on a man's watch but that is just me, I would never think less of someone who likes diamonds. Get what speaks to YOU.
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 03:00 AM   #16
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry Lannom View Post
Everyone has an opinion, and here is mine: no gold until you reach 50 - no diamonds for a man's watch ever, best return on your money if you resale is SS. With that said I have two Datejust watches and a GMT 11. One Datejust is TT with a black dial - the other is SS with a blue dial - both with fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. Both are wonderful - TT for dress up occasions and SS for daily wear. I am over 50. The GMT for when I feel sporty. Bottom line - buy what makes you happy.
I like your assessment. The perfect two watch combo is one sports model and one DJ or DD. I have the Explorer 2 and would love to add a SS DJ with a jubilee bracelet. That would be perfection to me.

Does anyone know which (if any) DJ's have the roulette date (red/black)?
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 12:01 PM   #17
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
I like your assessment. The perfect two watch combo is one sports model and one DJ or DD. I have the Explorer 2 and would love to add a SS DJ with a jubilee bracelet. That would be perfection to me.

Does anyone know which (if any) DJ's have the roulette date (red/black)?
I've only seen reference to the roulette date wheel here on TRF. It looks great, usually a stainless steel and white or silver dial with sticks
Old 29 March 2016, 02:52 AM   #18
bigbadbuff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everyone has an opinion, and here is mine: no gold until you reach 50 - no diamonds for a man's watch ever
+1

Go with SS and I would absolutely not get diamonds. I have personally never, ever seen a men's watch with diamonds that looked good. It just doesn't work.
bigbadbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 11:04 AM   #19
V1Rotate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660 16613 16710
DateJust is a great choice. I'd stray away from diamonds as they can be a bit gaudy....my favorite dial is white as it really pops against the SS. Whatever dial color you go with, get the all steel...two tone looks dated IMHO, but at the end of the day, go with what sings to you, because that is the most important.
V1Rotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 01:04 PM   #20
statsman
"TRF" Member

That is one nice watch.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 03:50 PM   #21
el Godfather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet 5707
If you are a young guy then by all means DJII in SS. But add diamonds to dial for character if not then it rather a boring watch. TT is nice if in everose and steel otherwise its rather a middle age dudes watch.

To me a Rolex is worth buying in sports model of DD. Thats just me. Try few on and see how you like the feel and look of them.

On the forums you can get good techincal data and advise as such but other than that its just personal preferences.

That said, in the price of DJII I think you have myriad of options in SS from some other cool brands like IWC, JLC, Ulysse etc.

Last edited by el Godfather; 2 April 2016 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Adding more info
el Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 06:21 PM   #22
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
, same opinion Berry

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2016, 07:21 AM   #23
Danishtext
"TRF" Member

I am currently 35 years old. First I thought that TT on Jubilee was a bit too classical for my age. But when I saw one in person, it was actually quite classy. However, I think 36 mm is a tad too small.
Danishtext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2016, 09:45 PM   #24
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Since this thread started on 7 May 2014, Dave what did you get? Pictures please!
Old 4 April 2016, 09:49 AM   #25
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddl View Post
Since this thread started on 7 May 2014, Dave what did you get? Pictures please!
...?? He hasnt been online since Sept 2014..!!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2016, 10:30 AM   #26
tylerad1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
...?? He hasnt been online since Sept 2014..!!

Yah......adds to the drama......🙄
tylerad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2016, 11:03 PM   #27
ag986
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233, First Rolex
My first Rolex from 1990, Two-Tone Jubilee Bracelet with the Silver Tapestry Dial. I'm still happy with the way it looks and for many years, I wore it everyday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1147 Web.jpg (87.9 KB, 1568 views)
ag986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 12:28 AM   #28
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
My first Rolex as well, TT DateJust, white face with Arabic dial.

Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 02:59 AM   #29
skydriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Pepsi
Here is my SSDJ. You can never go wrong with Stainless Steel. Definitely go with the fluted bezel as it really stands out. The big question is what color face to get and that is a very personal choice. Good luck but make sure you show it to us when you get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa14.jpg (122.2 KB, 1500 views)
skydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2016, 06:52 AM   #30
ukflyboy
"TRF" Member

Interesting thread this one. I'm in the market (as of relatively recently) for a 36mm Datejust and think I favour the two tone with diamond index markers. I know that isn't to everyone's taste but I've got a few stainless steel sports watches, so I just feel that TT with diamond dial gives me something completely different for formal occasions. I do appreciate that the SS models seem to hold their value better - as a rough comparison, compare the fact that 1990s SS and TT with diamond dials seem to be selling about the same price in the UK at the moment (just under the 4k mark) but the new price for a TT is over 2k more than the equivalent SS model. In my mind, that makes a 16233 with diamonds a pretty good deal!
ukflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote