The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 14 July 2015, 01:02 AM   #1
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Review of the Rolex 116710 BLNR GMT-Master II

Is a watch collection ever complete?

Since acquiring my Patek 5711 two years ago, I have enjoyed great satisfaction with my watch collection. What used to be a burning desire to always have more, turned to simple happiness with my smaller rotation of higher quality watches. My Patek for daily wear, my Daytona for weekends along with my Sub, my Lange for special occasions and dress. My Speedmaster for history, my Breitling for diving and snorkeling, my JLC Reverso for classy nights out.

Some of my friends asked why I had not yet bought an Apple watch? Others say “just use your cell phone”. I began to wonder what else I wanted in my collection as I seemingly have what makes me happy.

I had an old Citizen GMT watch in my collection, very nice watch, very simple and not a true GMT. I passed it to my son and he in turn passed it to someone else. As I near retirement and my wife and I have increased our desire to travel, I began to ponder getting another GMT as the single piece I am missing that I can actually use.

I began my research as I always do, pictures, reviews, forums . . . and I began to really like the idea of a one watch travel solution. I am used to taking multiple watches with me on travel and I wondered if I could learn to take just one for everything?

Baselworld 2013, a new GMT is introduced from Rolex. I immediately love the bi-color bezel. Blue is my favorite color and the original GMT-Master II looked too much like my Submariner. In 2013 I am already convinced I am getting my Patek 5711 but happen into the Rolex Boutique and see the BLNR and try it on. Wow! Very nice, I try not to get distracted, I traveled a long road to get my Nautilus by saving and selling. However, the image of the BLNR on my wrist never left me as I kept the picture on my cell phone.

Fast forward two years later and I find myself ready to add another piece to my collection. The BLNR is at the top of my list although the Planet Ocean GMT and the Breitling Avenger II GMT are on my radar. Other GMT pieces on straps (JLC) won’t do as water, sweat and stress will be part of my travel regimen.

Wait, who am I kidding, I just like to look at watches and the Rolex is the hands down obvious choice. It ticks all the boxes for me, size, weight, functions, color, durability, looks . . .

I look at the other pieces and don’t waver, the BLNR it is. I like to be prepared so I call my friend at the Rolex Boutique and he sets one aside for me. I will pick it up in a few weeks. Ah vacation, sun, sand and a new Rolex. But wait, what is this? A new five year warranty after July 1st? Guess I need to wait and my wait will be until July 2nd as I am already going sailing on July 1st. No matter I can stare at the pictures of others on TRF and enjoy my vacation. Wanting the days of vacation to go by faster is NOT much fun!

July 2nd dawns a bright sunny day, time to pick up my new beauty. Hmm, 10:00 am and the Boutique is not open yet? No one answers the phone? Ok, island time, they will be open soon. 10:30 am? My stomach starts to churn. I call, they will be open in about 15 minutes. Phew, ok calm down, I can start drinking now, it is vacation after all.

The doors open and I walk into the store, they have my BLNR waiting for me and I feel like I am on cloud nine! They were delayed opening by the warranty change over with all the new hang tags and warranty cards that arrived at 4:00 pm July 1st.

Beautiful, stunning, even better in the light! Functional for my every need, I can travel, snorkel, sail, hike, go out to dinner, this piece can do it all. The hidden warranty card in the top of the box threw me as I thought they had not given it to me. The new cards are registered in their terminal upon purchase, very cool.

I like the PCL’s and do not worry about scratches, signs of wear make me happy. While I agree it takes away from the tool watch factor, for me it adds the versatility of wear in multiple situations.

The first try on and I am glad my wrist has not gotten any smaller. The Omega and the Breitling were both larger, the Planet Ocean GMT was huge actually and not wearable for me. Beautiful watch but 40mm suits me best at this point.

The easy link is great for quick adjustments, the dial very readable, even at a glance. The bezel moves smoothly in one hour increments forward or back so tracking three time zones is possible. At the moment I have mine set up for two time zones, local time and GMT time (London). I may switch to three at some point.

The lume is fantastic, the blue glow adds to the cool factor for me. The markers are large and the lume glows brightly after a little light exposure, the lume can even be seen in moderate light or shade and contrasts nicely with the black dial on the watch.

Timekeeping so far is +2 seconds per day, solid performance. I am so happy with the latest addition to my collection. The BLNR makes a great addition to my collection and will soon sit next to my Daytona in my watch display case.

The profile is great, the watch sits well on my wrist and looks larger than the 40mm due to the large numbered bezel. Although heavier than my Patek 5711 it is still a great feel and fit for my wrist which is now at 6 5/8”. I needed one link out and I moved the small pin adjustment out all the way so that the easy link works perfectly in either position depending on temperature and humidity. The crown feels solid and appears large, I have not measured it but it is not out of place with the rest of the watch.

Without making this sound like I love everything about the watch, I am still not a fan of the cyclops. I may learn to love it like the rest of the watch but for the moment I tolerate it as a non-symmetrical bubble on the crystal. Also glare proofing the crystal would be a nice touch but that is a small issue.

The bracelet is fantastic and I have seen the pictures from Loevhagen and his fantastic jubilee combo. If anything needed to push this over the top for me, the jubilee on the BLNR was it. I may attempt to source one someday but at the moment I am very happy with the stock oyster bracelet.

The BLNR will be at home anywhere. I feel like I have added to the quality of my collection while accomplishing the goal of a one watch travel solution that will track time zones as I increase my travels, hopefully to Europe and other places soon.

Thanks for reading. Before anyone asks if they should get one, without any doubt the answer is YES!

Is my collection complete? I have told my wife I am done and that I am happy. Do I believe that? Well I am not sure, never say never but I cannot think of anything else I need or want except more time to wear and enjoy what I have. Does she believe that? NO!

Finally, ask nicely and you might get a little something from your AD!

Again, thanks for reading, I will update along the way.

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2015, 01:57 AM   #2
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
Great review! Sometimes I wish I never let the BLNR go, but I'm sure I'll get another one down the road. One of those catch, release, and catch again pieces for me lol
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Nice revie
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2015, 09:40 AM   #4
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Some great photos there
Old 14 July 2015, 02:36 PM   #5
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Nice review and photos.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Excellent review Brian and quality pix.

Enjoy wearing it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2015, 09:35 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 15 July 2015, 03:42 AM   #8
watchstudent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and a Speedy
Great little review. Made the stupid decision of trying one of these on the other day, now its all I can think about. One day!
watchstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2015, 04:33 AM   #9
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Review of the Rolex 116710 BLNR GMT-Master II

Nice review. I think that it does run a nice spectrum. A sport watch with a little bit of color for fun and casual dress, yet PCLs give a little shine if desire to wear in a more formal or professional environment. Congratulations!
Old 15 July 2015, 04:46 AM   #10
GhostWriter
"TRF" Member

Watch: tower
Nice write up. It's one of the most versatile in the Rolex line up. Wear it and enjoy it!!
GhostWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2015, 05:15 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great review, enjoy
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2015, 05:31 AM   #12
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

Great reading! I loved your enthusiasm. Congrats!
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Eddie Smith
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Sub C
I have been on the fence with deciding on either the BLNR or the GMT II 116710LN...I appreciate your review and pictures...helps me out.
Eddie Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2015, 10:22 AM   #14
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Love it! Soon......
Old 19 July 2015, 08:39 PM   #15
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Old 19 July 2015, 09:17 PM   #16
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Great write up, enjoy your new watch!
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2015, 09:25 PM   #17
SUB14
"TRF" Member

Great pictures and nice review, thanks for sharing!
SUB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2015, 07:32 AM   #18
ProjectIntegra
"TRF" Member

Great detailed review. Thank you
ProjectIntegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2015, 06:28 AM   #19
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
Very nice review!!!!! thanks so much for sharing that info
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2015, 05:42 AM   #20
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
I love this watch, but bought a panerai instead. I do still adore the BLNR. are you keeping your GMT time set to actual GMT.. or another timezone.. I am posing this to anyone whom cares to chime in. I use my GMT function for true GMT time.
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2015, 11:16 AM   #21
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great photos and review!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2015, 12:13 PM   #22
Runfar
"TRF" Member

Very nice and love the photos thanks! Done? You
So are not done!!!
Runfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2015, 09:15 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
I love this watch, but bought a panerai instead. I do still adore the BLNR. are you keeping your GMT time set to actual GMT.. or another timezone.. I am posing this to anyone whom cares to chime in. I use my GMT function for true GMT time.
My GMT hand is set to London and my local hour hand is set to +4 (DST) at the moment.
Old 26 July 2015, 01:51 AM   #24
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

As mentioned on another forum, we've got the same taste. My BLNR gets more wrist time than any of my others...just ticks all the boxes.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 07:53 PM   #25
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Enjoyed reading it Brian. Congrats again!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2015, 10:51 PM   #26
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Enjoyed reading it Brian. Congrats again!

x2!
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 08:31 PM   #27
Discovery
"TRF" Member

Wow.... Nice reading and there are really beautiful pictures here... Thanks for sharing....
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2015, 12:57 AM   #28
cadillacofwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega GMT cal.8506
Nice pictures and interesting read. Thanks for sharing this with us.
cadillacofwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2015, 01:32 AM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Enjoyed the review and great pics. Thanks so much.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 09:38 AM   #30
Blubarb
2018 Pledge Member

Great write up. Have mine lined up in the sights and will pull the trigger within the next two hours AST.
Blubarb is offline   Reply With Quote