The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 7 October 2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Uglybaby
"TRF" Member

Explorer 2 16570 - 1 year later

So... I realize that there are already A LOT of Explorer 2 reviews (I think I read all of them last year!) and that this isn't even for the current model... but since I spent so much time on this forum before I purchased this watch, I will post my review in order to make a small contribution to the greater good. Hopefully somebody will find it useful. I apologize in advance if this gets lengthy. I'll omit pics, since there are plenty on this forum.

Last year I decided to replace my Citizen Nighthawk (in black PVD) which I'd been wearing constantly since 2008. I really like the Nighthawk but the small GMT function was often difficult to read beneath the primary hands. As a Blackhawk pilot, most mission planning (and execution) is conducted in Zulu time, so a quick reference second time zone is a tremendously helpful feature that I use everyday.

I did not initially look for a Rolex, but as I established my criteria and assumptions, this watch was suddenly the last one standing...

Criteria:
1. I'm a one watch (one car, one motorcycle...) kind of guy, so the new one had to handle it all.

2. I wear a flight suit or jeans & a t-shirt 90% of my waking hours, but occasionally (and generally prompted by my girlfriend) I have to wear a suit or a dress uniform. The new watch would have to work for both.

3. This watch has to deploy with me to miserable hot/wet or hot/arid climates. It flies with me, goes to the gym with me, sleeps in tents, etc, so it can't be too "precious" for a wide range of tasks.

4. I have a 6" wrist, so a small watch fits better. My 42mm Nighthawk was on the high end of what I'd accept.

5. Though I've never owned one, I'd consider automatic watches if they are reportedly accurate and tough enough.

6. My style: clear, uncluttered dial with date and GMT hand visible at a glance. Nothing fancy or apparently expensive.

7. Lume, lume, lume. I work mostly at night.

Watches I initially considered (in no particular order):
1. Breitling Avenger GMT - too thick/heavy. I really want to like Breitlings due to their aviation heritage, but in general the dials seem too busy.

2. Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GMT - also a bit thick/heavy. Really like the dial, but the lume is suspect and the polished bezel a little much for me.

3. Bell & Ross Vintage Black Dial GMT - love the look of this watch! This is the one that led me to check out the Explorer 2. Lume is suspect here, too, and though I'm admittedly not an expert, I'm not sure that I'm getting my money's worth with B&R.

4. Ball Engineer Master Pilot II GMT - love the lume! But so big! And it doesn't strike me as tough enough for the range of required activities. I could be wrong.

5. Luminox SXC - Great lume! But also too big, and kind of cartoonish with hand/dial color combinations. Unfortunate, because relatively inexpensive and definitely rugged.

6. Fortis Flieger GMT - I should have bought this watch when it debuted years ago. I couldn't afford it then and I can't find one now.

As I mentioned, comments regarding the B&R being derivative of the Explorer 2 led me to check out the latter. Initially I saw the new model (216570). I love the bolder GMT hand but the watch was just a bit too big for me. That in turn led me to the 16750.

I bought a used black dial 16750 in excellent condition from DavidSW after meeting him on this forum. Sale went smoothly and watch was as described. Would buy from him again. I immediately installed a RubberB band which I feel both reduces the "bling" factor of this watch (almost nobody recognizes it as a Rolex) and makes it more comfortable to wear in miserable conditions. I like the band a lot.

PROS:
1. Perfect size. I admire some larger watches, but I can't wear them - it looks like I'm trying to prove something.

2. Timeless style. Clean dial with easily read GMT. Brushed bezel. To me, this is a classic style that can dress up or down. I like the polar version too, but it seems a bit too upscale for me.

3. Extremely durable (so far). Several months into a deployment now, this watch has taken a beating in some extremely harsh environments. There are now some small scratches on the sides of the case, but I actually don't mind them - they give it some character. I was a little nervous about the raised crystal but both that and the bezel remain in great condition. I'm not intentionally rough with the watch, of course, but I don't baby it, either. I'd probably take it off before swimming, but I shower with it everyday and it's fine.

CONS:
1. Lume is weak. This is a drag, because it's a key criterion for me. It's very bright when charged, but it doesn't last long. I sent the watch to Dallas for a baseline service shortly after I bought it and I wish I'd asked if it's possible to replace the SuperLuminova with Chromalight. The woman on the other end of the phone would probably have choked on her coffee, but I'd be able to see it better in a dark cockpit.

2. That's pretty much it on this side of the ledger... this was an expensive purchase for me, but 1 year in I'm still pretty pleased with it.

Thanks for all of the previous reviews that led me to purchase this watch with confidence. Hope I can add this one to the archive.
Uglybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 09:21 AM   #2
Beak
"TRF" Member

Nice write up! I just bought my first Rolex ( an Explorer) this year. From what I understand, these are both tough watches. They can be dressed up or down to good effect. Also, a good universal size. Wear it in good health, and be safe!
Beak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
sounds like you picked the right watch

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 10:11 AM   #4
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great review!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 14 October 2015, 10:43 AM   #6
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Very nice review! You picked the right watch, thank you for your service.
Old 14 October 2015, 04:08 PM   #7
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

You've made the right choice. The EXPII is tough and durable. I do agree the lume on the 16570 is weak and does not last long. You may want to consider trading up with the 42mm version (it's really not that big esp when on a rubber or leather strap). Just a thought. BTW I used to be assigned and support a Attack Helicopter Troop (Air Cav) that flew Cobras.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2015, 06:54 AM   #8
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

That's one of the best reviews of a watch on this forum. A watch bought purely for function.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2015, 07:07 AM   #9
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Ps. I have the same watch as you. I love it. But also have the 42 MM. version in black. Yes, it's a bit bigger and take some getting used to, but the lume is awesome. It would be a better tool for your job...
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2015, 07:00 PM   #10
itsmekevin
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the great review! Makes me want to purchase an Explorer II now.
itsmekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 02:45 AM   #11
Watch Traders Eu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jaeger Grande C
Fantastic review!! well done!!!
Watch Traders Eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 04:52 AM   #12
Chris MC
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few... ;)
Very nice review!
Old 1 November 2015, 03:06 PM   #13
firstOwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 20th Moon, ND Sub.
Thanks for the very good review.

for having the same watch
firstOwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 10:10 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice review. I would look at the new Explorer II and try it with the band properly adjusted and with a Rubber B strap. I believe it would work for you and would not be an expensive switch.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2015, 06:59 AM   #15
Toolguy
"TRF" Member

Nice write up and agreed the explorer ii is in my top 3 of the sports line...its the ss bezel which makes the watch oop
Toolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2015, 05:06 PM   #16
susuki1220
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
thx for sharing !
susuki1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2015, 08:10 AM   #17
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I love reading posts of tool watches being used as they were intended. Thanks for posting
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2016, 06:06 AM   #18
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
16570 in black was my first rolex before being returned, never buy ebay unless you know what you are doing. even if you do, thread carefully. 16570 in polar was my official first rolex and I love it too. Didnt know i needed one until i saw it in a second hand watch shop earlier in the year. Scoured the forums before buying from a trusted seller as well.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2016, 07:52 PM   #19
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice review, thanks
Old 30 October 2016, 03:27 AM   #20
Iloreyix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub-C
Great write up - thank you - and... We never get sick of pictures!
Iloreyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2016, 05:14 AM   #21
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
I bought my guy an Explorer II because he gets lots of desk dings with other watches and I felt this all stainless watch could weather anything he could put it through. Well, he wasn't thrilled when I surprised him with it and said he probably wouldn't use it that much. This is a guy who has owned Rolex and other nice watches (gifted by me) but he just wasn't thrilled. Was I wrong to try and surprise him and should I not be hurt at his lack of excitement?

Last edited by HeartRolex; 30 October 2016 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Typo
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2016, 08:37 PM   #22
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartRolex View Post
I bought my guy an Explorer II because he gets lots of desk dings with other watches and I felt this all stainless watch could weather anything he could put it through. Well, he wasn't thrilled when I surprised him with it and said he probably wouldn't use it that much. This is a guy who has owned Rolex and other nice watches (gifted by me) but he just wasn't thrilled. Was I wrong to try and surprise him and should I not be hurt at his lack of excitement?
Sorry to bore you guys with this but I think EXPII is a great watch, especially for someone that doesn't like to baby their watches. Maybe this is a sign that I should get it for mysel 😉
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2016, 08:51 PM   #23
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice review.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2016, 05:36 AM   #24
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartRolex View Post
The Explorer II is a bit divisive. It's a watch that isn't often recognized, and it is quite "tool-ish" without much of a bling factor, so it just depends on what he likes. The 16570 (or 1655) happens to be my favorite sport Rolex.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2016, 08:17 PM   #25
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Hi

I have just read this review, it's brilliant and a pleasure to read.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 11:02 AM   #26
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Your review cemented my resolve to buy an Explorer 2 for my second Rolex. Don't laugh but my first is Date Just 36 18ct fluted bezel, blue dial, Roman numeral. Not bad though for a teacher. Thanks for your review.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 11:42 AM   #27
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Great review for a great watch! Congrats on your find and its first year review. Pictures of it on action would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 01:19 PM   #28
Jim P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp1&2,YM,Milg
I also bought my 16570 from DavidSW. I have not heard of one person that had a bad experience doing business with him.
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 08:45 AM   #29
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Nice review! I you have a typo in your heading, as you are actually talking about a 16570.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 12:50 AM   #30
Jellitod
Banned

Nice review, thanks
Jellitod is offline   Reply With Quote