The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 May 2016, 11:48 AM   #1
ridbx
"TRF" Member

Adding extra links to a vintage bracelet?

Hi all

I'm new to this forum and Rolex watches.

I'm finally ready to wear the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date I inherited from my late mom. However the bracelet on her watch is too tight for my arm. I've examined the folding clasp and the ends of the bracelet are already on the holes which would allow for the most length.

I was advised that an authorized Rolex dealer could order additional links to add to the bracelet, however, when I visited the AD in the ritzy mall in town, the jeweler told me he would most likely have to replace the entire bracelet as Rolex is unlikely to have the parts for a watch as old as mine.

Is this correct, I can't just order additional links because my watch is too old? I felt like a lot of the Rolex watches they had on display had bracelets indistinguishable to my novice eye. I'd really like to keep my mom's watch as intact as possible (for example, her initials are engraved on the clasp and it's a non-starter to lose that connection).

Apologies in advance if my mom's watch doesn't qualify as vintage, I'm just going by what the AD described it as when he examined it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

A few photos of my mom's watch + details:

Not sure when my dad bought this for her, I suspect sometime in the mid 60s or early 70s. After she passed away in '83, my dad sent the watch in for servicing. He had the watch face changed from an off-white color to the gold face seen in the photos. I don't know what other changes were made at that time but recall him asking if he should have the clasp engraving changed. He gave the watch to me in '85.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8846_0003_Background.jpg (167.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8846_0002_Layer 2.jpg (168.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8846_0000_Layer 2 copy 2.jpg (89.4 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8846_0001_Layer 2 copy.jpg (112.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1425.jpg (116.6 KB, 183 views)
ridbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 12:07 PM   #2
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
It will take some time but you should be able to source some links. Post in the looking for/in search of section of the for sale section and keep an eye out for them in the parts and novelties. In the meanwhile take the Jubilee bracelet off and wear it on the leather strap or a NATO band
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 03:18 PM   #3
ridbx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.L. View Post
It will take some time but you should be able to source some links. Post in the looking for/in search of section of the for sale section and keep an eye out for them in the parts and novelties. In the meanwhile take the Jubilee bracelet off and wear it on the leather strap or a NATO band
Thanks for the response, William.L.

Can you advise on what kind and size of links I should be looking for? For example, I notice that newer Rolex Jubilees are D-shaped in cross-section, older ones are oval in cross-section but I haven't seen any that look like the links on mine: sort of a flattened heart in cross-section.
ridbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 07:26 PM   #4
watchlovr
"TRF" Member

These look like folded links, not solid.
Better photos would help, in natural light.
watchlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 08:05 PM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridbx View Post
Hi all

I'm new to this forum and Rolex watches.

I'm finally ready to wear the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date I inherited from my late mom. However the bracelet on her watch is too tight for my arm. I've examined the folding clasp and the ends of the bracelet are already on the holes which would allow for the most length.

I was advised that an authorized Rolex dealer could order additional links to add to the bracelet, however, when I visited the AD in the ritzy mall in town, the jeweler told me he would most likely have to replace the entire bracelet as Rolex is unlikely to have the parts for a watch as old as mine.

Is this correct, I can't just order additional links because my watch is too old? I felt like a lot of the Rolex watches they had on display had bracelets indistinguishable to my novice eye. I'd really like to keep my mom's watch as intact as possible (for example, her initials are engraved on the clasp and it's a non-starter to lose that connection).

Apologies in advance if my mom's watch doesn't qualify as vintage, I'm just going by what the AD described it as when he examined it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

A few photos of my mom's watch + details:

Not sure when my dad bought this for her, I suspect sometime in the mid 60s or early 70s. After she passed away in '83, my dad sent the watch in for servicing. He had the watch face changed from an off-white color to the gold face seen in the photos. I don't know what other changes were made at that time but recall him asking if he should have the clasp engraving changed. He gave the watch to me in '85.

You have an older folded link bracelet

You need 13mm links.
Old 5 May 2016, 01:08 AM   #6
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Search the for sale section and post a want to buy ad as well.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote