The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 May 2016, 10:49 AM   #1
crgrbrts
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1959 6564
Replacement dial - good idea or bad?

I think I know the answer to this by combining a bit of logic and a bit or market-driven preference (I was going to say "prejudice", but that seemed a little harsh and unfair).

So, here's the scenario. I have just purchased two 1002s, one from 1959 and the other from ca. 1964. In the face of fiscal reality, one may have to be sold. (I'm an old retired guy). The problem is that the earlier piece has been identified by one of our gurus as having a refinished dial. This, I gather, is a no-no, reducing the timepiece to the status of nearly worthless "fake."

So, what if I ask a reputable watchmaker, like Bob or Vanessa or Rikki, to install a new dial? I realize that a genuine, age-appropriate face may be impossible to obtain and that a later dial may be substituted. What would THAT do to the watch's worth -- assuming that the dial is an authentic Rolex part?

Thanks,

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC
crgrbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 10:11 AM   #2
chessebj
Banned

I'd almost certainly rather have a service dial than a refinished dial.
chessebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 10:46 PM   #3
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
My take on this is that as long as the dial is authentic and appropriate (as in, RSC would install that dial if asked) then it's fine. I realize a lot of members here think, "Watch with any service parts whatsoever=worthless franken to be smashed with a hammer lest it offend our eyes further"; when you're dealing in the realm of $50K+ I can understand originality is important. For a guy like me who just likes old Rolexes and doesn't want to sell his house to buy one, a service dial is just fine IMO.

I'd never install a refinished dial, personally. If a service dial bothered me that much I'd buy the best-condition original I could find and put that on and just live with the damage.
Toronto Soup King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 11:28 PM   #4
Frogman4me
Banned

Personally, I would seek out an original period correct dial or sell it as is. But to answer your question, adding a service dial as oppose to your current refinished one would add a little value depending on how bad the refinish is of course. But paying for a service dial, the work and shipping back and forth you will end up losing more money IMO when you go to sell it. I don't believe an original 1002 dial is impossible to find. If you earnestly seek one out I think you can find one.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 11:51 PM   #5
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Agree with F4M

There should be a reasonable stream of used 1002 dials available for reasonable money, around 100-300, which is an option. Some of these are being broken up for movements. The 1002 is not going to sell for a lot anyway (by vintage Rolex standards) so you must balance repair cost versus what you would sell for.
Old 7 May 2016, 06:25 AM   #6
crgrbrts
"TRF" Member

In good hands now.

Thanks for the views, fellas. It's appreciated.

In any case, the watch in question is -- as of this morning -- in the expert hands of Bob Ridley. He and I will supposedly be chatting in a couple of days to determine the best course of action. As far as I'm concerned, whatever this legendary guru says, goes.

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC
Old 7 May 2016, 07:52 AM   #7
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgrbrts View Post
Thanks for the views, fellas. It's appreciated.

In any case, the watch in question is -- as of this morning -- in the expert hands of Bob Ridley. He and I will supposedly be chatting in a couple of days to determine the best course of action. As far as I'm concerned, whatever this legendary guru says, goes.

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC
Not a bad move. Best wishes Craig, keep us updated. Cheers
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 08:22 AM   #8
crgrbrts
"TRF" Member

Thanks David. I will certainly post the results of my discussions with "the man" and eventual photos of the finished piece.

By the way, nice website, neighbor.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 7 May 2016, 09:39 AM   #9
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
The 64 1002 you bought is cream of the crop when it comes to 1002's. BR is a great watchmaker but you won't be able to recouperate those costs if you do need to sell it. If one has to go, let the 59 go and keep the 64 and have it serviced. A period correct dial for the 59 is not likely to turn up soon, and a Swiss underline 1002 is much more desirable than pretty much any other 1002 out there.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2016, 12:18 AM   #10
crgrbrts
"TRF" Member

The 1964 1002 is here!

Thanks, Greg. I appreciate -- and will follow -- your advice.

The '64 1002 arrived yesterday and it's on my wrist now. It exhibits very few flaws; mostly minor crystal scratches that are almost unnoticeable in use and probably removable. Other than the "bonus" legend underline, it precisely replicates the long lost and much missed 1002 I purchased in 1967 to celebrate my "winging' as a Naval Aviator. I'm a happy guy!

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1002_070516_1.jpg (84.9 KB, 124 views)
Old 8 May 2016, 09:51 AM   #11
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgrbrts View Post
Thanks, Greg. I appreciate -- and will follow -- your advice.

The '64 1002 arrived yesterday and it's on my wrist now. It exhibits very few flaws; mostly minor crystal scratches that are almost unnoticeable in use and probably removable. Other than the "bonus" legend underline, it precisely replicates the long lost and much missed 1002 I purchased in 1967 to celebrate my "winging' as a Naval Aviator. I'm a happy guy!

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC
Looks great!
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote