The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 November 2016, 06:01 AM   #1
Juantxo
Banned

Almost the last word on drivers...

In reverse order (from left to right) of best to worst, please find the screwdrivers I have used on Oyster and Jubilee bracelets of 36 to 40mm Rolex watches. The best is no doubt the Rolex 2100, the worst the Bergeon 1.6mm. A close second in bad is the 1.6mm Horotec. The second from the left is a fine screwdriver although the blade is ever slightly thinner than the one on the 2100. Please note that some of the drivers are marked as 1.6mm and others 1.8mm, some are concave, others flat.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02384c.jpg (141.2 KB, 2498 views)
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 06:06 AM   #2
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Great info but I think you have your left and right mixed up. Didn't you mean best to worst, from right to left? And the second one from the right (the gold one) is a fine screwdriver although...?

By the way, I agree with you. I just bought that gold one (1.7mm) and the fit in the screw head slots is very precise. Much better than the Horotec 1.6mm curvature blade I had been using. There was way too much play with that one.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 06:10 AM   #3
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Great info but I think you have your left and right mixed up. Didn't you mean best to worst, from right to left? And the second one from the right (the gold one) is a fine screwdriver although...?

Yes, you're right, I mean, yes, from right to left... I wrote in "reverse order" or something. Anyhow, yes, from right (best) to left (worse).

And, yes, the gold screwdriver if pretty good, much better than the others except the 2100 and the Wiha next to it. The Wiha is very good too, the one next to the gold one, not the other.
Old 2 November 2016, 06:12 AM   #4
IT Nerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me flip
I second the Bergeron 1.6mm was being the worst! I have broken more tips and destroyed more screws with it than anything else.

OTOH, I have to disagree with you on the 1.6mm Horotec. I love it and it hasn't ever failed me.
IT Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 06:14 AM   #5
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Nerd View Post
I second the Bergeron 1.6mm was being the worst! I have broken more tips and destroyed more screws with it than anything else.

OTOH, I have to disagree with you on the 1.6mm Horotec. I love it and it hasn't ever failed me.
Just imagine if you used any of the others.
Old 2 November 2016, 06:25 AM   #6
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Nerd View Post

The Horotec will work, but you're still only applying pressure to the ends of the screw slot....rather than applying even pressure along the entire inside of the slot, which happens when the blade completely fills the slot. The Horotec blade doesn't fill the entire slot, so there is some slight twist inside, causing the uneven pressure. This increases the risk of damaging or marring the screw. I managed to use it without mishap for awhile, but after seeing the proper fit of the gold one above, I will never use the Horotec again. Here is the link to the website that sells it.

http://www.watch-tool.de/html/rlx_special.php?id=0905hh

It also come with a nice punch tip with a rounded end, that comes stored inside the body of the driver. Very neat tool. It is supposed to fit the same as the ref. 2100.
Old 2 November 2016, 06:30 AM   #7
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
The Horotec will work, but you're still only applying pressure to the ends of the screw slot....rather than applying even pressure along the entire inside of the slot, which happens when the blade completely fills the slot. The Horotec blade doesn't fill the entire slot, so there is some slight twist inside, causing the uneven pressure. This increases the risk of damaging or marring the screw. I managed to use it without mishap for awhile, but after seeing the proper fit of the gold one above, I will never use the Horotec again. Here is the link to the website that sells it.

http://www.watch-tool.de/html/rlx_special.php?id=0905hh

It also come with a nice punch tip with a rounded end, that comes stored inside the body of the driver. Very neat tool. It is supposed to fit the same as the ref. 2100.
Listen to Mike. He knows.
Old 2 November 2016, 06:42 AM   #8
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
And, yes, the gold screwdriver if pretty good, much better than the others except the 2100 and the Wiha next to it. The Wiha is very good too, the one next to the gold one, not the other.

Ah, I am using the "other" 1.8mm Wiha. What makes the one Wiha much better than the other?

It works for me, though I am sure the gold one from watch-tools.de would be almost as good as the 2100. I may pick it up at some point, but I shouldn't need to resize my Rolex again for a while.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 07:01 AM   #9
key
"TRF" Member

Which driver(s) do you use to remove links from a 36mm modern Datejust? I tried using a 1.6mm panerai driver, but it was a bit too big for the jubilee bracelet.
key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 07:13 AM   #10
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby90 View Post
Which driver(s) do you use to remove links from a 36mm modern Datejust? I tried using a 1.6mm panerai driver, but it was a bit too big for the jubilee bracelet.
Rolex Ref. 2100 screwdriver. Or the gold tool, or the aforementioned Wiha.

By the way, another tip, no pun intended, for not marring the head of the screws is to apply a bit of light Loctite to the threads. Using Loctite you won't have to exert much pressure to tighten the screw in place.
Old 2 November 2016, 07:15 AM   #11
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Ah, I am using the "other" 1.8mm Wiha. What makes the one Wiha much better than the other?

It works for me, though I am sure the gold one from watch-tools.de would be almost as good as the 2100. I may pick it up at some point, but I shouldn't need to resize my Rolex again for a while.
The "other" Wiha is slightly concave and the metal has a finish that grips the slot of the screw somewhat. It's also a tiny bit thicker.
Old 2 November 2016, 07:37 AM   #12
Engi.
Banned

Just a question, but the Horotec you used has the concave blade or not ? Thanks.
Engi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engi. View Post
Just a question, but the Horotec you used has the concave blade or not ? Thanks.
Yes. The "problem" with the Horotec is that the blade is way too thin and not the exact length of the slot. Thus, it kind of "dances" in the head of the screw.

By the way, how many angels can be fitted in the head of a pin, or on the head of a Rolex screw...?
Old 2 November 2016, 08:55 AM   #14
EddyG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16628 Yachtmaster
Any sources to obtain a Rolex 2100 tool?
EddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 08:59 AM   #15
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engi. View Post
Yes, concave.....or, as Horotec calls it, "curvature blade".
Old 13 December 2016, 08:10 AM   #16
Shichinin
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubCND/Speedy
Quote:
The "other" Wiha is slightly concave and the metal has a finish that grips the slot of the screw somewhat. It's also a tiny bit thicker.
What is the size of the "other Wiha" (260P)? It seems there are 1.5 and 2.0. Which one are you using?
Also, does the gold screwdriver comes with an spare tip? Thanks for the info btw.
Shichinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2016, 08:19 AM   #17
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
I bought the gold screwdriver but if was delivered with a bent tip and I was accused of lying by the company. Cannot tell you about the quality but only about the shop customer service.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 09:17 AM   #18
SeattlePNWguy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for everyone's advice here. I received the gold screwdriver last night and successfully removed links on my new Daytona C white dial. The tip of the screwdriver fit the slot really perfectly without any slipping. I highly recommend as a cheaper alternative to the 2100.
SeattlePNWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 10:21 AM   #19
peterpl
Banned

How do I get an original Rolex screw driver. Ive been looking for ages.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 10:52 AM   #20
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
How do I get an original Rolex screw driver. Ive been looking for ages.
Hi...you can order them in any Rolex AD.
I bought X3 last year....think they were around £13.00 each.
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 11:15 AM   #21
peterpl
Banned

^ Are you serious? LOL

I didnt even ask RSC. hahaha
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:40 PM   #22
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePNWguy View Post
Thanks for everyone's advice here. I received the gold screwdriver last night and successfully removed links on my new Daytona C white dial. The tip of the screwdriver fit the slot really perfectly without any slipping. I highly recommend as a cheaper alternative to the 2100.
I agree that the gold one fits great. However, I was using it to tighten a screw on my son's SKX007 (with aftermarket oyster bracelet) the other night, and the blade (screwdriver tip) broke. I was applying just modest pressure to the screw. For the price, I would not have expected that to happen so easily. I ordered a replacement tip, which cost me about $23 all in. Not thrilled about that. Oh well.
Old 20 January 2017, 02:34 PM   #23
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
Hi...you can order them in any Rolex AD.
I bought X3 last year....think they were around £13.00 each.
Need to move the decimal, and then some.
Old 20 January 2017, 02:42 PM   #24
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I bought this screwdriver for $6.00 at Home Depot and I have used it on the Submariner (114060, 116610ln) and the Datejust II and it works GREAT! I was really surprised. I decided to run up the street and buy it just to try before I ordered a more expensive one like the burgeon. It really works well if anyone is looking for a inexpensive good quality screwdriver that you can pick up in stores.

Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:37 AM   #25
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsykedaddy View Post
I bought this screwdriver for $6.00 at Home Depot . . . ]
Is the tip flat ground or angled?

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:43 AM   #26
mtgjr
Banned

That's a normal taper tip hardware store special. Does the job as long as you're careful.
Old 22 January 2017, 02:03 AM   #27
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Just FYI the Burgeon blades are designed to snap before the screw does...

Always keep a few spare blades on hand until you can re sharpen the broken ones.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:14 AM   #28
Juantxo
Banned

I recently received a PM about screwdrivers. I'm bumping this thread back up for reference. I'd like to make note of my opinion (poor) of the Horotec screwdriver. Also, I'm sure all will agree that the screws on the regular size (36mm Datejust) Jubilee and Oyster bracelets are the same size and use the same screwdriver.
Old 12 January 2018, 03:29 AM   #29
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
I recently received a PM about screwdrivers. I'm bumping this thread back up for reference. I'd like to make note of my opinion (poor) of the Horotec screwdriver. Also, I'm sure all will agree that the screws on the regular size (36mm Datejust) Jubilee and Oyster bracelets are the same size and use the same screwdriver.
I don't have personal experience, but I've always read that the Jubilee takes a smaller screwdriver.....1.3mm if I'm not mistaken. Compared to 1.6mm (actually 1.7mm if you can find it) for the Oyster.
Old 12 January 2018, 03:49 AM   #30
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
2100 I love it!!

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote