The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2017, 01:05 AM   #1
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

15202 boutique only 2018

Hi

I always get slightly apprehensive posting up what an AD tells me, as sometimes, a barrage of "rumor mongerer" seems to follow after some posters

But in good faith...

Recently an ad advised that the 15202, though rarely, and after long waits could be sourced. But From 2018 onwards they are boutique acquired only! (Not sure there is a boutique in UK).

I was fairly sure this was the case already - hence the rarity of the watch. But the AD said he sold one last year! Sooooo can anyone elaborate or confirm the situation!

Its new news.... The AD says it was recently communicated to Them by AP and to advise, no more waiting lists on the watch, that span beyond this years allocation
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 01:09 AM   #2
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Actually, AP has been scaling back allocation for the most desirable refs to ADs and its not just 15202. Eg... try finding a RG44 at an AD. Over here in Asia as well. Not surprising if this is true.
Old 9 January 2017, 01:14 AM   #3
texex91
"TRF" Member

I don't believe much of anything AD's say. However, it's true that AP (and others like RM) are cutting back on allocations to AD's in favor of keeping prices high by selling out of boutiques.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 07:04 AM   #4
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I don't believe much of anything AD's say. However, it's true that AP (and others like RM) are cutting back on allocations to AD's in favor of keeping prices high by selling out of boutiques.
They like control

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 07:17 AM   #5
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
They like control
No...they like $$$$
Old 9 January 2017, 08:00 AM   #6
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I think this is a common theme between many brands right now.
Old 9 January 2017, 08:16 AM   #7
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Actually, AP has been scaling back allocation for the most desirable refs to ADs and its not just 15202. Eg... try finding a RG44 at an AD. Over here in Asia as well. Not surprising if this is true.
local AD to me is sitting on it's RG 44 for over a year. You want it? lol
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
Wait a minute... You said "every dealer I speak to, sells like 2-3 per month they will tell me."

http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost....7&postcount=19

From the Jumbo thread.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...17#post7250717
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 10:53 AM   #9
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No thanks. I already got one. Must be he is shouting for high price just like the boutique.
Old 9 January 2017, 10:55 AM   #10
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
Wait a minute... You said "every dealer I speak to, sells like 2-3 per month they will tell me."

From the Jumbo thread.

Definitely not the case in Asia. While in Europe, I browse watches as well including AP ADs and hardly saw them. That include London. Easier to find in boutique. I might be wrong as I cannot say I have browse through all of them.
Old 9 January 2017, 11:15 AM   #11
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post

From the Jumbo thread.

Yea this one (that I never use) is lilenquest or however it's spelled and only does 15% off.

If you want to overpay for it then go ahead. They have AP to show it off, they don't make money off them. Like literally every AP they have is from 2015, all I serial. They have a forged carbon too if someone wants it desperate enough.
Old 9 January 2017, 11:29 AM   #12
psv
"TRF" Member

Same for all major brands, they are offering the more coveted models only through their own boutiques.

AD is a bad business to be in at this point.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 11:37 AM   #13
5Zigen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
One of the local ADs just gave up their Rolex distribution (PP and IWC only going forward), they were so fed up that all of the coveted pieces were being allocated to the newly opened boutique.
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 11:43 AM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Given the tight allocation control from AP on the coveted pieces, I am still puzzled how the GDs often managed to land these pieces.
Old 9 January 2017, 11:49 AM   #15
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Zigen View Post
One of the local ADs just gave up their Rolex distribution (PP and IWC only going forward), they were so fed up that all of the coveted pieces were being allocated to the newly opened boutique.
LOL...PP will probably pull the same sooner rather than later. All brands worth anything are going boutiques...AD's will be a thing of the past in the next 3-5 years. They can control pricing and so many other aspects. It's coming...
Old 9 January 2017, 10:17 PM   #16
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
LOL...PP will probably pull the same sooner rather than later. All brands worth anything are going boutiques...AD's will be a thing of the past in the next 3-5 years. They can control pricing and so many other aspects. It's coming...
The AD experience in Sweden isn't exactly top notch when it comes to buying. I actually prefer going grey dealer rather then using them for purchases. But AP should keep local service center or such.
Old 10 January 2017, 05:59 AM   #17
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
A few months ago when I was in Paris I went to see and AD and the Boutique and both just had one come in, so it's AD and Boutique, not sure what it will be in 2018 but now like this

Quote:
Well actually it already is like this, every time I went at Wempe in Paris, they had only Calatravas and one time they had the 2 tone 5980, thye told me they never get ANY SS Nautilus or Aquanaut, only the 5164, or any of the interesting Grand Comps. And yes it really sucks for ADs if they are not going to receive any coveted pieces and get only the ones which don't sell very well, I think it is a big mistake on the long term for the brands...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:14 AM   #18
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
A few months ago when I was in Paris I went to see and AD and the Boutique and both just had one come in, so it's AD and Boutique, not sure what it will be in 2018 but now like this

Well actually it already is like this, every time I went at Wempe in Paris, they had only Calatravas and one time they had the 2 tone 5980, thye told me they never get ANY SS Nautilus or Aquanaut, only the 5164, or any of the interesting Grand Comps. And yes it really sucks for ADs if they are not going to receive any coveted pieces and get only the ones which don't sell very well, I think it is a big mistake on the long term for the brands...
I'm talking about AD's disappearing all together...100% boutiques. Will be best way for them to control margins.

Won't say all brands can see this but many will I predict. RM for one.
Old 10 January 2017, 06:34 AM   #19
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm talking about AD's disappearing all together...100% boutiques. Will be best way for them to control margins.

My view exactly, Paul, at least on the very high end. They will be able to control not only distribution and margins, but also "exclusivity" and the overall experience.

Lower end brands will still do ADs, but then why bother, you might as well buy over Amazon.com
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:57 AM   #20
martinr
"TRF" Member

The problem with boutique only for the manufacturer is they won't get paid like they do when they deliver a bunch of watches to an AD.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 07:00 AM   #21
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
The problem with boutique only for the manufacturer is they won't get paid like they do when they deliver a bunch of watches to an AD.
I think the model might include 'Boutiques' owned by AD's in partnership. Like Westime does with AP and RM.

I call them fake boutiques.
Old 10 January 2017, 07:37 AM   #22
martinr
"TRF" Member

I don't like that arrangement. I used to get AP discounted from Westime now they're next door to the boutique in Beverly Hills and don't have AP. And if you buy from an out of state boutique they will still charge sales tax if they ship to California.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 07:39 AM   #23
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the model might include 'Boutiques' owned by AD's in partnership. Like Westime does with AP and RM.

I call them fake boutiques.
Fauxtiques?
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 07:45 AM   #24
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I don't like that arrangement. I used to get AP discounted from Westime now they're next door to the boutique in Beverly Hills and don't have AP. And if you buy from an out of state boutique they will still charge sales tax if they ship to California.
They don't care about you Martin, you're just the client...it's all about them remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Fauxtiques?
Exactly...
Old 10 January 2017, 07:53 AM   #25
Vipes
"TRF" Member

It seems that if a brand goes all boutique then it will hurt them in the long run. With watch sales down for most brands and no discount from boutiques then I see more people turning to gray sellers. At least with ADs you can get some discount which helps everyone.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 07:53 AM   #26
jem7v
Banned

They could do the Tesla model. Go boutique only but then they need to drop all prices by 30-35%.

I'd be perfectly fine with boutique only as long as prices dropped 35% across the entire lineup. If they keep prices inflated, then f**K that. People will stop buying high end watches. They will kill the market for affordability.

I was prepared to spend a certain amount on my 44 Ceramic. I most certainly wouldn't pay the current full price.
Old 10 January 2017, 08:01 AM   #27
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They could do the Tesla model. Go boutique only but then they need to drop all prices by 30-35%.

I'd be perfectly fine with boutique only as long as prices dropped 35% across the entire lineup. If they keep prices inflated, then f**K that. People will stop buying high end watches. They will kill the market for affordability.

I was prepared to spend a certain amount on my 44 Ceramic. I most certainly wouldn't pay the current full price.
Well, its a double edged sword and trust me if you want the watch you will pay. It's happening right now in RM.

None of this will happen overnight, but as the market gets smaller, many brands won't have a choice.

Will be interesting to watch over the next 5+ years.
Old 10 January 2017, 09:45 AM   #28
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
15202 boutique only 2018

Quote:

Would be pretty tough for PP and Rolex to go all boutique given all the points of sale they have in place. Very different business model to retail watches versus wholesale, not to mention the cash flow implications. Yes, higher margins on what you do move, but It's not a slam dunk that when all is said and done it's not as profitable. Now faux boutiques like Rolex does is easier, but a full switch over would be a challenge.

Edit - just saw the later posts pop up after I posted.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 04:15 PM   #29
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Yea this one (that I never use) is lilenquest or however it's spelled and only does 15% off.

If you want to overpay for it then go ahead. They have AP to show it off, they don't make money off them. Like literally every AP they have is from 2015, all I serial. They have a forged carbon too if someone wants it desperate enough.
I think you may be mistaking lillenquist for lenkersdorfer across the road in Tyson I. Most confusing AD names just happened to be in the same mall

Regarding going all boutiques I don't think that's a realistic model for larger volume brands. Maybe RM or Journe but don't think AP or Patek will ever see 100% boutique distribution. Time will tell and certainly interesting times where some brands will undoubtedly fail and others will emerge stronger.

I think the best approach is the one Rolex is taking. Finance your "boutique" experience by forcing your customers (ADs) to spend a fortune to create in store boutiques. Not easy to do unless you have the #%€ swinging power Rolex carries though so very much a unique case.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:53 PM   #30
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:

Ok I didn't get that, that would really suck IMO and not be great for the brands on the long run, but sure some will probably try it thinking that they will get more milk from us cows like that.
In any case my personal experience with Boutiques was never very good, except with the AP Boutique, but was lucky there, the Director took care of me and takes care of me when I need something, but the others, crappy experience, very cold and arrogant staff in general
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote