The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Need some help picking an AP...

Hello friends,

I'm in the market for my first AP and would love some direction from all you AP experts.

I've always loved the look of the RO but after browsing online pics for the last several months, I pretty much sold myself completely on the ROO. Well today I went into an AD for the first time to try on a few different options. That's where plot thickened… and the decision got much harder.

First of all, the RO 15400 (with black dial) was much nicer in person than I was expecting! An absolutely beautiful watch. And it fit my wrist wonderfully. This was the steel model with bracelet that I was admiring.

Then I tried on a few different ROO's. The red and black version spoke to me along with the safari model.

So now I'm torn on what to do and I'd love some help from you guys. And for the record, I can only afford one at the moment so "buying one of each" is completely out of the picture.

Soooo… what route do you all suggest I go?
- RO 15400 with Black Dial?
- ROO Black and Red?
- ROO Safari?

I know the RO and ROO are different looks but I like both versions a lot.

The other watches I currently own are: Rolex two tone date just; Rolex two tone submariner; and a Panerai Pam233.

Thanks!
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 11:31 AM   #2
jem7v
Banned

Honestly all the ROO 42mm look boring to me. The brick with the leather strap is interesting but not for me.

The only 42mm that was really nice IMO was the black themes with the strap. It's unfortunate they did that stuff with the red accents. They should have just kept it the way it was.

I'd go up to the 44mm if you want a ROO. Otherwise the 15400 in black is the way I would go.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26400SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Six View Post
Hello friends,

I'm in the market for my first AP and would love some direction from all you AP experts.

I've always loved the look of the RO but after browsing online pics for the last several months, I pretty much sold myself completely on the ROO. Well today I went into an AD for the first time to try on a few different options. That's where plot thickened… and the decision got much harder.

First of all, the RO 15400 (with black dial) was much nicer in person than I was expecting! An absolutely beautiful watch. And it fit my wrist wonderfully. This was the steel model with bracelet that I was admiring.

Then I tried on a few different ROO's. The red and black version spoke to me along with the safari model.

So now I'm torn on what to do and I'd love some help from you guys. And for the record, I can only afford one at the moment so "buying one of each" is completely out of the picture.

Soooo… what route do you all suggest I go?
- RO 15400 with Black Dial?
- ROO Black and Red?
- ROO Safari?

I know the RO and ROO are different looks but I like both versions a lot.

The other watches I currently own are: Rolex two tone date just; Rolex two tone submariner; and a Panerai Pam233.

Thanks!
What are your conditions? Sporty casual wear? Flippability? A watch that can do casual and formal? Either way, you'll know your answer after you do up a checklist like that. Unless the purchase is an emotional one... then you know you'll just buy one after the other... and another.... and another.... aaaand another..
Bryan23N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan23N View Post
What are your conditions? Sporty casual wear? Flippability? A watch that can do casual and formal? Either way, you'll know your answer after you do up a checklist like that. Unless the purchase is an emotional one... then you know you'll just buy one after the other... and another.... and another.... aaaand another..
The conditions are really all of the above. I wear a suit during the week and am casual on the weekend. So either RO or ROO would fit my lifestyle. This is the dilemma. I like both so much I just need help deciding which way to go.
Old 13 January 2017, 12:33 PM   #5
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
You asked for direction...

I would say before any decision is made you strap a 44mm on your wrist just to try it on.

If you're good with the PAM 233 size the AP 44mm's will be so comfy.

Good luck!
gummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26400SO
Quote:
The conditions are really all of the above. I wear a suit during the week and am casual on the weekend. So either RO or ROO would fit my lifestyle. This is the dilemma. I like both so much I just need help deciding which way to go.
In that case, if I were you, I'd honestly just go boutique blue 15400. You really do get the best of both worlds with that, especially now that they've released the conversion kit. You get a very good formal watch, and sometimes, switch out to blue navy rubber for a more casual feel. I personally don't feel you'd need to do that very much, the bracelet is versatile enough. It's your call in the end. But honestly man... what's not to love about APs blue dials?
Bryan23N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy View Post
You asked for direction...

I would say before any decision is made you strap a 44mm on your wrist just to try it on.

If you're good with the PAM 233 size the AP 44mm's will be so comfy.

Good luck!
Thanks. I actually tried on a 44 today. It felt huge to me. It wore more like a 47mm Pam than a 44mm. Too much wrist presence for me I think. The 42mm was a better size for me.
Old 13 January 2017, 01:29 PM   #8
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Quote:
Thanks. I actually tried on a 44 today. It felt huge to me. It wore more like a 47mm Pam than a 44mm. Too much wrist presence for me I think. The 42mm was a better size for me.

If you end up in a 42mm you looking at 2 of my favorites!

But you'll be happy with any of your targets!
gummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 01:29 PM   #9
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan23N View Post
In that case, if I were you, I'd honestly just go boutique blue 15400. You really do get the best of both worlds with that, especially now that they've released the conversion kit. You get a very good formal watch, and sometimes, switch out to blue navy rubber for a more casual feel. I personally don't feel you'd need to do that very much, the bracelet is versatile enough. It's your call in the end. But honestly man... what's not to love about APs blue dials?
That blue dial is enticing . There's not a boutique near me unfortunately so I couldn't see one in person today. I'll be in NYC in two weeks though so I may swing by that boutique to check it out.
Old 13 January 2017, 01:46 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I prefer the 15400 to the 42 offshores. Frankly aside from the diver, I don't like the 42s very much. They look funny on my wrist (7").

The bracelet makes the watch more special as well imho. Also much better with a suit no question.

I want a jumbo myself. Have you entertained the 15202?
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 11:17 PM   #11
csi-n
"TRF" Member

Considering that you already have a couple of "dressy" Rolex pieces, I would choose the "sportier" 42mm ROO. Both colors you listed are awesome but I think black/red is incredibly nice and a bit sportier than the Safari version. So the black one would be my pick.
csi-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 12:07 AM   #12
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
A RO 15400 seems to fit your needs better. The 15400 especially is versatile and can be dressed up and dressed down. Will recommend the blue dial version but you have to try it on to see which dial sings to you the most.
Old 14 January 2017, 05:02 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Interesting post for me as today for the first time in years I tried on the 15400 and it felt just fine on me, not bloated at all as I had previously felt. The white dial was lovely and shimmered nicely but I would get the blue dial which is just fantastic on these, bracelet is dreamy ofc.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 05:13 AM   #14
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I was also torn between a AP Royal Oak and AP Royal Oak Offshore. I decided on the 42mm ROO Panda on a bracelet. I love it. Im glad i didn't go with the RO. It was a little to dressy as i have other dresser watches. Mainly i wanted a high end sports watch and i feel thats what i got with the ROO.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:06 AM   #15
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
All excellent choices, but since we are splitting hairs here, the absolute safe bet is 15400. It's a tried and true classic, perfectly stradding the line between dress and sport, and it's surefire to look as good today as 30 years down the line.

I've actually come around to the ROO of late, but as a first AP, why not go for the model with all the trademarks, including that gorgeous dial and bracelet?
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:17 AM   #16
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Unfortunately, I'm still torn here. First world problem to have though... lol.

I think I might be leaning slightly more towards the 15400 but I'm going to have to go try both styles on again.
Old 14 January 2017, 01:21 PM   #17
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I am partial to chronos and I own the black red ROO and really like it. i have an OEM bracelet so I can switch out with the leather strap. Of course both are great choices. I am actually considering adding the AP RO or pride of italy chrono but these are a bit redundant with the ROO.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 02:07 PM   #18
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
Blue Face 15400 for the win ! Great piece and VERY versatile.
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 02:28 PM   #19
jem7v
Banned

black face 15400.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 02:50 PM   #20
Dolor Doc
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
15400st black dial. Dress up, dress down. Gorgeous bracelet, stunning dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dolor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 07:45 PM   #21
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I used to be all about RO, then I bought an ROO, and now all my AP's are ROO.