The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2017, 07:40 AM   #1
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Submariner Font Styles

Can anyone tell me if there have been changes to the font style on the Submariner in recent years?

The only reason I ask is this..

I have been looking for a nice used Sub C date on ebay, but whilst looking in close up at some of the dials started to notice distinct differences in the font style & spacing's between certain words that made me start to be suspicious as to whether they were all genuine or not???

The main thing that I noticed was the difference in spacing between the 'ft' the '=' and the '300' text

Some examples in no particular order.

In first picture below the '=' seems to be equally spaced between the 'ft' and the '300' there is also a space between the '300' and the 'm'

Sub Centre =.jpg

In the second picture, there is definitely a bigger gap between the '=' and the '300' the 'm' is about the same distance from the '300' as in the first picture.

Sub unequall =.jpg

In the last picture, the words are all bunched up with no spaces at all.

Sub no space =.jpg

Are they all correct for their year of manufacture or are any of them suspicious?

Many thanks in advance for any info
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 07:57 AM   #2
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I got mine in 2013, and after VERY close inspection (just now) my dial is the first one in the list. I've learned from this excellent forum that Rolex changes fonts and dials slightly every now and then, so you will see variations.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 09:17 AM   #3
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
I believe the first is the current format. The last with no spaces I have seen as well, though can speak to the date range of its use. The middle I don't believe I've seen before, though Rolex is known to change periodically for unknown reasons.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Afghanvet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, SD4K
Quite perceptive! Would've never picked that up on my own...

Afghanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Well, the Sub has been around since the mid 50s and has seen numerous dial font changes over the years. I am in the camp that when I buy a watch you get what you get. I have never seeked out a watch just for a particular font style on the dial.
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 09:31 AM   #6
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Previous discussions on this board have shown there's no rhythm or reason to date the font changes. People thought the sans serif was newer but others have had non-random serials with the same font.

Comes down to preference, have had both types and either is fine to me.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Sydny2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, GMT
I've been noticing about the fonts like you. Mine is like the last one. Even the number and the font are different. I bought mine from AD a month ago.
Sydny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 10:15 AM   #8
guy369
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Mine is the 2nd one. Great observation!
guy369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 04:01 AM   #9
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

I have discovered a 4th variant!

In the example below the text is set out similar to the 'equal space' version but the '=' sign itself is in italic and the 'm' is close up to the '300' whereas before there was a gap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5deae53083929c48aadb4a14155205e4aa.jpg (32.4 KB, 413 views)
Old 21 January 2017, 08:36 AM   #10
RolexJames
"TRF" Member

I studied this extensively... trawling through threads on many forums of people posting incoming photos or 'sub owners threads' going back years. By total fluke you have posted them in what I found to be date order.

The lastest is the one you just posted, the slightly bolder submariner typography style seems to have emerged only in the very late months of 2016.
RolexJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:56 PM   #11
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I think pics 1 and 2 are the same, as are 3 and 4. So 2 styles. Although the submariner text in 4 does seem more bold. You're looking at pics taken at different angles and magnifications.

There are multiple threads on this and they are just random as others have stated.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 03:53 PM   #12
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
I think pics 1 and 2 are the same, as are 3 and 4. So 2 styles. Although the submariner text in 4 does seem more bold. You're looking at pics taken at different angles and magnifications.

There are multiple threads on this and they are just random as others have stated.
I'm sorry but you are wrong.

There are at least 4 different dial configurations of the words & characters relating to the following text: (300) (=) (ft) (m)

My post wasn't referencing the 'boldness' of the text, it was referencing the different spacing's between the various characters listed above.

Regardless of the camera angle, if you look again at the photos and concentrate purely on the spacing's you will see the 4 variations.

If you still cant see it, then just for you, I will post some different pictures all taken at the same angle to make it abundantly clear that there are at least 4 (there maybe more) different configurations...

Regards.
Old 21 January 2017, 03:58 PM   #13
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexJames View Post
I studied this extensively... trawling through threads on many forums of people posting incoming photos or 'sub owners threads' going back years. By total fluke you have posted them in what I found to be date order.

The lastest is the one you just posted, the slightly bolder submariner typography style seems to have emerged only in the very late months of 2016.
Thanks for the update. I actually hadn't really focused on the 'boldness' of the text, just the spacing's between the various characters.

Now you've made me aware of this - I kind of wish you hadn't haha! now this really will keep me awake at night...only kidding, lol
Old 21 January 2017, 04:04 PM   #14
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
My 2016 Hulk is the third one. I believe that is the one they are currently using.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 04:10 PM   #15
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
I'm sorry but you are wrong.

There are at least 4 different dial configurations of the words & characters relating to the following text: (300) (=) (ft) (m)

My post wasn't referencing the 'boldness' of the text, it was referencing the different spacing's between the various characters listed above.

Regardless of the camera angle, if you look again at the photos and concentrate purely on the spacing's you will see the 4 variations.

If you still cant see it, then just for you, I will post some different pictures all taken at the same angle to make it abundantly clear that there are at least 4 (there maybe more) different configurations...

Regards.
Ok I see what you're saying about the = spacing on 1 and 2. Not sure I'm seeing much difference between 3 and 4 but I'll take your word for it. You don't have to post any more pics on my account.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 04:12 PM   #16
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaTurtle View Post
My 2016 Hulk is the third one. I believe that is the one they are currently using.
The 4th picture (post #9) was taken from a sellers website advertising a 2017 model.

RolexJames confirmed in his reply (#10) that he'd seen this style emerge in late 2016, so would confirm the 2017 advert.
Old 21 January 2017, 04:16 PM   #17
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
The 4th picture (post #9) was taken from a sellers website advertising a 2017 model.

RolexJames confirmed in his reply (#10) that he'd seen this style emerge in late 2016, so would confirm the 2017 advert.
Right. The one with 1 as an l, the =, and the close m is the one I own. Also happens to be my favourite dial variation of the bunch!
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 04:24 PM   #18
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
Ok I see what you're saying about the = spacing on 1 and 2. Not sure I'm seeing much difference between 3 and 4 but I'll take your word for it. You don't have to post any more pics on my account.
The difference between pics 3 & 4 is there is no space at all between any of the characters in pic 3, they are all bunched but clearly spaced in pic 4

Actually pics 1&4 are the closest regarding spacing's but the (ft) in pic 4 is a different font altogether - it has a long tail to the 'f' and the (=) in pic 4 is italic not standard as in pic 1.

Also, there is no gap between the (300) and (m) in pic 4 whereas there is a clear gap in pic 1

All very subtle I know but definite differences nonetheless...