The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2017, 11:48 AM   #61
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctp39 View Post
991.2 GT3 with 3 pedals please!

Yup!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 12:21 PM   #62
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
It depends. Do i get a good discount on the 911 . I do like special things you are quite right.
Me too.. My 991 cabriolet has 3 pedals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctp39 View Post
991.2 GT3 with 3 pedals please!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 12:46 PM   #63
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermann View Post
I think the premium is worth it! To me anyways.
Just a stunner of a photo.
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 01:09 PM   #64
soundserious
"TRF" Member

it's all relative. Be thankful you don't like vintage Daytonas.
Old 19 January 2017, 02:00 PM   #65
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
I love the D-blue and along with my 116520 it is probably one of the only Rolex watches that I slightly miss owning. However, it is hard to justify dropping 12k on the D-blue when you could have your pick of almost any other TWO SS Rolex models. For that amount of money you could buy a GMT + explorer 2, a milgauss + a SUB, a datejust + a SUB, etc etc. The more I think about it the more I realize that it is a lot of money to sink into one watch especially in a small collection. I believe that the Daytona remains the only SS Rolex that I would spend that kind of coin on. What do you guys think? Quality over quantity....variety is the spice of life....buy what you like and can afford... All good opinions

Today I feel like variety is the spice of life. Tomorrow I buy another PM Rolex.

Have a nice day guys.

Josh
Um, call me pedantic but I'd love to know where I could pick up a brand new Sub and Exp II, Milguass and/or GMT for the same money as a brand new D-Blue

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 02:35 PM   #66
BigAl72
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue, GS SBGE001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermann View Post
I think the premium is worth it! To me anyways.
I agree 100%

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BigAl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:26 PM   #67
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Um, call me pedantic but I'd love to know where I could pick up a brand new Sub and Exp II, Milguass and/or GMT for the same money as a brand new D-Blue
Probably not brand new but if were comparing used prices for the D blue and those models its quite possible. If new then the duos would be 1-2000 more depending I would say. Still fairly close ☺.

My next trio will be D blue + 116500 + 116400gv

Or

Blnr + 116500 + 116400gv + $5000 towards a 4th watch.

Leaning towards first option at the moment as there is no 4th watch that I really want. March could possibly change that ?

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 19 January 2017, 03:58 PM   #68
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeone View Post
buy what you like and what you can afford. I'm a one watch girl so if the d-blue was "the one", i would do it. Just my $.02.
+1!

I'm still perfectly happy to wear my original release Deepsea. The new dial looks nice to be sure altho imho not worth the additional 3-4 grand.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:38 PM   #69
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Probably not brand new but if were comparing used prices for the D blue and those models its quite possible. If new then the duos would be 1-2000 more depending I would say. Still fairly close ☺.

My next trio will be D blue + 116500 + 116400gv

Or

Blnr + 116500 + 116400gv + $5000 towards a 4th watch.

Leaning towards first option at the moment as there is no 4th watch that I really want. March could possibly change that ?

Sent by my pet Gekko
Josh, seriously mate, subscribe to one of those establishments that allows you to rent whichever watch you want whenever you want for an annual or monthly premium until you decide what you really want. When I see how much money you lose by flipping a watch half an hour after FedEx have delivered it, it turns my head inside out.

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants or anything here, I mean it with the best intentions

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 19 January 2017, 04:41 PM   #70
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgator View Post
+1!

I'm still perfectly happy to wear my original release Deepsea. The new dial looks nice to be sure altho imho not worth the additional 3-4 grand.
The premium between MSRP is only GBP250 or USD300, so I really don't understand where these claims of three to four grand premiums for the D-Blue come from. Even paying MSRP for the D-Blue and scoring a discount on the original doesn't equate to that much of a difference.

Old 19 January 2017, 04:56 PM   #71
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
I had the DSSD(black dial) and when i saw the DB version i had to have it.... but when i started reading up on pricing and the hype around the dial i soon gave up... Not because i cannot afford it but simply im not paying all that extra for a dial with a small colour graduation on.
I could understand if it came numbered in a special "James Cameron" box or something but it doesnt so its just a plain "old DSSD" with a dial change with the addition cost of thousands....

Sorry as much as im a chronic flipper and want them all i refuse to subscribe to the hype over a dial.
And as far as the "special edition" label thats been thrown around with it.. can anyone confirm that? have they stopped production of them or is this more hype due to being hard to get?
Again "special edition" should be just that... limited and advertised as such if not its just limited availability..... for now.

And like any manufacturer of a product you never know what they will release next... if they decide to release a SD with a special dial in bulk that would kill the DSSD-B market i reckon
anyway thats just my 2cents
Ok, to discuss a couple of points you make.

When you talk about 'additional cost of thousands..' just to confirm in the UK the difference in list price at an AD between the standard black dial and the JC is £250 GBP or approx. $307 USD at todays exchange rate.

I assume you are talking about the grey or second hand market price, which I admit is ridiculously inflated, but isn't relevant to use as a reason not to want one.

If you really want one that badly as you state you did when you first saw one, you would get one eventually from an AD and the difference in list price is negligible in the bigger scheme of things.

You seem to be confusing 'special edition' with 'limited edition' - when talking about the 'special edition label being thrown around with it' you ask 'can any one confirm that?' Well yes I can confirm that the JC version is indeed a very 'special edition' - limited? no. Limited production/availability, maybe, but not limited to a specific number being produced.

There's no 'Hype about it' as you state, just fact. The JC D-blue is a special edition. Special edition & limited edition are 2 very different things.

You state that you 'refuse to subscribe to the Hype over a dial'... fair enough, but have you ever asked yourself why there is such 'Hype' over this dial?

This is the first watch that Rolex have ever produced with a 2 tone graduated dial and luminous green lettering. That may not be a big deal to you, but in Rolex terms its massive.

Also, this is the first watch that Rolex have ever named after a living person, those two facts alone are the main contributors to the 'Hype' you refer to, but to be fair to Rolex, they haven't tried to cash in by over inflating the price - as stated earlier, the difference in list price is negligible, its the natural demand from collectors on the second hand market that has done that.

NB. Before anyone replies with 'what about the Paul Newman Daytona?' - that is a watch nicknamed by collectors, NOT Rolex.. just to be clear.
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 06:28 PM   #72
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Josh, seriously mate, subscribe to one of those establishments that allows you to rent whichever watch you want whenever you want for an annual or monthly premium until you decide what you really want. When I see how much money you lose by flipping a watch half an hour after FedEx have delivered it, it turns my head inside out.

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants or anything here, I mean it with the best intentions
I appreciate your concern :). I don't lose that much when I flip. No worries
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 06:59 PM   #73
donut
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN/LV/BLNR
Buy what you like and look nice on your wrist.
For me, I think D-Blue is worth collecting although it costs you a lot of money.
It's a stunning watch but for me it is too big. Sad cannot wear this but glad don't lose money.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 07:09 PM   #74
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
really? whats the msrp of an AP diver in scotland???

in the USA and Canada its not even close even after the 20% discount....scotland must have special low AP prices
£15400 few sellers on chrono24 have them for £12000 and the deep blue is £11500 £12000 in uk and I really don't see that watch being worth double the other ss sports rolexs in 10-20 years it only a small portion of Rolex owners who actually like them, so when the hype dies down in a few years time there going south fast IMO
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 07:11 PM   #75
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
UK list is £9150 not 12k
Yes I know but they don't sell for list do they they sell for 11500 12000 even at list there overpriced IMO
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 09:29 PM   #76
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It's all relative to what appeals most to you.
I wouldn't want to "settle" on 2 other SS watches if the one I really wanted equals the cost of those 2.
The D-Blue is worth every penny for me.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 09:45 PM   #77
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Yes definitely worth it and one of the best Rolex IMHO. It is my go to weekend watch and the dial makes this watch very special! Knowing you would keep it only a few weeks or months it is also a great option because it holds it's value really well. So when you go to flip, which you will you, you won't lose much money. For me it is a keeper without a doubt. Also I had the black dial when it first came out and it did little for me - this one far different story. Also for those who say the dial itself isn't worth premium have a look at Rolex history and you will see the dial is everything.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 10:00 PM   #78
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:

What you're forgetting is that some people enjoy the analysis, the discussion, the hunt, the negotiation, the anticipation, and the incoming more than they enjoy actually owning/wearing the watch. Which is fine, by the way, if that's your thing. But for those people, what you're suggesting totally defeats the purpose.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:07 AM   #79
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGMT View Post
£15400 few sellers on chrono24 have them for £12000 and the deep blue is £11500 £12000 in uk and I really don't see that watch being worth double the other ss sports rolexs in 10-20 years it only a small portion of Rolex owners who actually like them, so when the hype dies down in a few years time there going south fast IMO
your drunk imo
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:12 AM   #80
speedmaster73
Banned

This is a silly thread anyways because anyone can pick any watch and say "why buy this one when i can buy 2 of those"

ironically the thread was started by someone who probably has owned 20 rolexes in the past 2 years and probably currently owns none with one incoming this week and for sale next week
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:14 AM   #81
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
your drunk imo
No, he's in the highly inflated UK so we are all dreaming of a better day, and yes thus we are drunk too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:41 AM   #82
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Even paying MSRP for the D-Blue and scoring a discount on the original doesn't equate to that much of a difference.
At $12k USD, with 20% off - do-able even from an AD - is $2400 for the black. Add the $300 additional MSRP for the blue, and the difference becomes $2700 assuming the AD won't discount the blue.

And that's new from AD. For the black, it's a steel model that with the right relationship that 20% discount can go up. And then the difference becomes even more on secondary market for LNIB or mint pieces where the blue hold value much closer to MSRP and the black drops even further from it's discounted price..

So from what I've seen (and I've owned 3 black and 2 blue over the years), that gap exists, at least in the US.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:51 AM   #83
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
At $12k USD, with 20% off - do-able even from an AD - is $2400 for the black. Add the $300 additional MSRP for the blue, and the difference becomes $2700 assuming the AD won't discount the blue.

And that's new from AD. For the black, it's a steel model that with the right relationship that 20% discount can go up. And then the difference becomes even more on secondary market for LNIB or mint pieces where the blue hold value much closer to MSRP and the black drops even further from it's discounted price..

So from what I've seen (and I've owned 3 black and 2 blue over the years), that gap exists, at least in the US.
This is exactly what I was saying and the only difference is a colored dial, not limited, not special and numbered, no jewels etc. just looks better IMO but tough to swallow a $2k to $3k difference in color.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 01:09 AM   #84
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Math never figures into my decisions. If it did, I'd be a mess.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 01:15 AM   #85
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Paid 8.5K for mine,,,been offered 9,5 k for it.
But will never sell..

So,,,not money wasted - and love the piece
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 01:21 AM   #86
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Josh, in your realm of watches, you would not be happy with even 4 regular SS pieces... (i mean you would but, deep down inside...lol) You like special things and the D blue is one of those things...

Would you like 2 regular cars or 1 911 991.2 ?
I agree with this...the math doesn't make sense unless you like them equally. You could buy 120 G-Shocks that are probably more accurate....not sure what that has to do with anything.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 01:30 AM   #87
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
By that logic, 1 Rolex is expensive when you can have x2 Omega's or x2 IWC's etc... buy what you like.

I had a Daytona and flipped it because it was a bit too flashy for my taste.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 02:36 AM   #88
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Math never figures into my decisions. If it did, I'd be a mess.
Wish that could work for me...as an accountant, it's hard wired in my brain
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 02:40 AM   #89
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
What you're forgetting is that some people enjoy the analysis, the discussion, the hunt, the negotiation, the anticipation, and the incoming more than they enjoy actually owning/wearing the watch. Which is fine, by the way, if that's your thing. But for those people, what you're suggesting totally defeats the purpose.
That may well apply the first time a reference is purchased, but the second time? I think not.

Josh had, and flipped, at least two watches on his current "must have lists"

I suspect the Daytona C is only there because he can't actually get one, as much as any real desire to own one.

As for the original post itself, the D Blue is less than 3% more expensive than the regular Deepsea. The LV is comparatively more expensive than the regular black sub date as is the BLNR compared to the regular GMT 2.

The question should, perhaps, be "is the D Blue worth nearly 50% more than a regular sub?"

If Josh is worried that the D Blue is too expensive (as would appear to be the point of his post) then perhaps he should reconsider looking to buy a second one. Alternatvely if Josh is seeking some form of validation for wanting to buy one for a second time, then perhaps a different kind of counseling is in order

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 02:45 AM   #90
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
This is exactly what I was saying and the only difference is a colored dial, not limited, not special and numbered, no jewels etc. just looks better IMO but tough to swallow a $2k to $3k difference in color.
As the difference you quoted only exists becasue of the ability to get a discount on the regular Deepsea, the $2k o$3k diifference is not in colour, its in desirability.

The D Blue is not charged at a premium. The regular Deepsea is sold at a discount (although not in the UK/Europe as far as I can see)

There's a big difference.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote